Menu

Anyone else feel like shopping at Publix is a luxury?

Mandylubug

I had to tun into Publix the other day in a rush. It was so much nicer than our normal grocery store. Cleaner, newer, more registers opened, happier workers. It really felt like a breath of fresh air.

However, the prices kill me. I just can't stomach the markup on some products. I wish I couponed more to make it more affordable but I am bad about letting them collect dust and expire.

• Like 3

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since Aldi opened here and I started doing the bulk of my shopping there, everything else seems pretty luxurious. ;)  But it's so worth it to pay a third of what I'd pay everywhere else for the same or better quality food.

The regular grocery stores here are really nice, though. They all keep renovating in this sort of arms race to have the nicest store in town. I'd rather shop at the farmers market, though. It's outside in a big field by the woods, and there are always kids running around and people chatting. 

• Like 6

I guess an equivalent in my area is Wegman's.  It is a very nice store and most things are more expensive than the other stores, particularly when compared to Aldi, which is where I do  most of my shopping.

That said, I will go to Wegman's sometimes for something that is not available anywhere else.  And sometimes their prices are not bad, or are worth it for the quality of the particular item.  

It would be nice to have just one store in which to complete the shopping, that's for sure! 

Never heard of it, but I do know what you mean.  We have many grocery stores around, but the expensive luxurious one is Price Chopper.  They really do have the best produce, best meat, and best bakery, but their prices kill me too.  Sometimes I just go for a few of the specials, but I don't shop there regularly.

Even their take and bake pizzas are the best.  Although those are also reasonably priced.

Never heard of it, but I do know what you mean.  We have many grocery stores around, but the expensive luxurious one is Price Chopper.  They really do have the best produce, best meat, and best bakery, but their prices kill me too.  Sometimes I just go for a few of the specials, but I don't shop there regularly.

Even their take and bake pizzas are the best.  Although those are also reasonably priced.

It sounds as though that store is misnamed.  With a name like Price Chopper I would expect rock bottom prices.

I've never heard of Publix or Wegman's except on here.  We have a couple nice grocery stores - clean, nicely decorated, not crowded, friendly cashiers - but the prices are a good 30% higher.  So off I go to the low cost store, fight other shoppers, wait in line, and bag my own groceries, but it's much easier on my wallet.  For meat, I usually buy it at Costco; produce too, until the big Farmer's Market opens up.  Produce and meat I will spend more on.

Publix is certainly nicer than the other conventional grocery stores in the area, but it's no Wegmans. Sigh.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/emleschh/21-reasons-you-should-join-the-wegmans-cult-11s0y#.qmoQeKZy0

Wow. I used to think Publix was really nice until I saw this. Wegman's makes Publix look like just any other grocery store.

There's a Kroger in our area that has remodeled to sort of look like picture 6 in the link above. But really, it's just a dolled-up Kroger that is harder to navigate. lol. I mean, they put up a new wall that's supposed to direct you into the store in a certain path but then if you have to go back because you forgot something . . . it's kind of a pain.

Anyway, for what we have here Publix is really nice. It's quiet, clean, the workers are friendly. That's why I avoid walmart--the one near me is usually quite clean but it's loud loud loud! It's like shopping in a wind tunnel. :glare:  I wish I could afford to shop at Publix more. They do have the best bogo offers around, though. And they still do double coupons.

• Like 1

Yeah, I pretty much live in Wegmans. I can't stand shopping anywhere else. It's clean, it's got a huge variety so i can always find a pricepoint that works for me, and the produce is the absolute best in the business. I have a good friend who works for a competitor and he is always complaining about how Wegmans beats everyone on quality and price of produce.

We have an Aldi about 30 minutes from us. Publix can take 30 minutes to get there, depending on heavy traffic. It is usually only about 20 minutes, though. I shop the most at Kroger. I just get irritated with shopping there at times. It is still better than Walmart, though!

I only have Publix to shop at where I am in FL (well there is a Safeway a few towns away but it is very old and I have to pass no fewer than 4 Publixes (is that a word?) to get there).  We moved here a few years ago from VA and I could not believe how much more expensive Publix is than Giant and Harris Teeter.  Everyone I know who has moved here from up north or out west says the same thing.

Our Publix is lovely.  The store is new, clean, bright, never crowded, never more than one person in front of you in line.  I always smile when the 80 year old retiree asks me if I need help taking my groceries out to my car in the sweltering heat.  I feel like I should be asking him if he would like to sit down while I bag my own groceries :lol:

But man, do I miss my Harris Teeter.  For $5 they did my shopping for me AND brought it out to my car. I never had to step foot in the grocery store.  I miss that.  I have asked Publix over and over why they don't do that but the store manager just looks at me like I have lost my mind.

• Like 3

We don't have Publix.  But we have a number of luxury grocers in our area and I MUCH prefer to go to them when I can.  For the produce quality alone.  

ETA - I do love me my whole foods.  I find if I'm shopping for organic/minimally processed stuff sometimes their pricing can be better than the same stuff or quality at a regular grocery store. 

I still think that Whole Foods is the bombdiggity, but Wegmans looks pretty nice. I've never been super impressed by Publix. My parents have a Central Market near them in Washington (State), and I liked that quite a bit. Bristol Farms is another goodie.

I shop Publix for the sales a lot.  My kids like the cookies, and Publix subs are our go-to for fast food. 

We are lucky that we have a huge international "farmers market" near us that has really wonderful produce.  It's crazy and loud and unwieldy and has funny rules, but it's worth it.  http://www.dekalbfarmersmarket.com/

Is that the same as many call the "Atlanta Farmer's Market?" My DHs Grandfather worked at whatever the international farmers market was called in Atl. He worked there for decades before he passed away. I wish we were closer but it is too far! Lucky you to be so near!

Yeah, I really love Central Market and it is definitely a luxury.  They have organic milk 3 for $6 on Mondays and a great playstructure, so it made the more expensive other groceries worth while.  I don't live near a Publix.  I do work in an office over Trader Joes.   That is nice to the point of being evil.   I went there for eggs and spent $60+.   

Publix is certainly nicer than the other conventional grocery stores in the area, but it's no Wegmans. Sigh.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/emleschh/21-reasons-you-should-join-the-wegmans-cult-11s0y#.qmoQeKZy0

wow! I had never heard of Wegmans. I see that Atlanta has atleast one. Our town needs a Wegmans! We are in the metro area! I should start a Wegmans rally. HA! There are locals trying to get a Trader Joes here.

• Like 1

You have a luxurious Price Chopper?  The one near my son's place back east is the absolute opposite of luxurious. It was frightening to walk in there!

• Like 2

Publix sounds a lot like Waitrose that we have here in the UK. I don't think of shopping there as a luxury as the prices of the main brands are mostly the same but they just don't carry really cheap versions of items and go far into high end options. You can spend a lot of money but you don't have to. Their own brand is also really good quality but not too pricey whereas many other supermarket own brands are not that great. They're great for cooks as they carry all the more unusual ingredients. 

• Like 1

I found I save a ton by shopping at Trader Joe's.  Just left there today with a basket of goods that would have easily been close to $100 at Publix.  It was $47.

I will always love the Publix bakery, though.  And Publix subs. :)

It sounds as though that store is misnamed.  With a name like Price Chopper I would expect rock bottom prices.

I've never heard of Publix or Wegman's except on here.  We have a couple nice grocery stores - clean, nicely decorated, not crowded, friendly cashiers - but the prices are a good 30% higher.  So off I go to the low cost store, fight other shoppers, wait in line, and bag my own groceries, but it's much easier on my wallet.  For meat, I usually buy it at Costco; produce too, until the big Farmer's Market opens up.  Produce and meat I will spend more on.

Yep.  It certainly was misnamed.  They constantly advertise how low their prices are, but their prices are higher on everything always.  But interestingly, they are in the process of changing their name.  It will soon be called Market 32.  Of all things...

• Like 1

We only shop at Publix and love it. Prices here must be different because I don't see other stores here being much cheaper.

Compared to our Kroger, Deli meats can be $1-3 more per pound and same brand. Breads were about .25 more for their cheapest loaf. Every thing seemed to be at least .25 to .50 more. Some instances, like bacon was a good 2 dollars more, cheese at least a dollar more. There weren't cheaper brands to choose from. I already buy store brand at Kroger.

There were some BOGOs but in my opinion it just got the prices down to what I pay not on sale at Kroger. For instance with ice cream. They had a gallonish bucket for 7 dollars. I pay 5 at Kroger. Both store brand. Their half gallonish size is usually 2.50 to 2.99 at Kroger. MAYBE 3.25 for Mayfield brand. Yesterday, they were BOGO for 4.97 each at Publix. That BOGO was bogus compared to my usual price. Mind you yes, I get store brand and the BOGO made Mayfield match store brand price at that time. But usually it would be highly marked up.

You have a luxurious Price Chopper?  The one near my son's place back east is the absolute opposite of luxurious. It was frightening to walk in there!

Well without giving too much info a way, lets just say I live awfully close to their headquarters so I suspect they pay a lot of attention to their stores around here.

We had them also where I lived in CT, but they weren't as nice, but their prices weren't as high either.  The expensive place where I used to live was Stop & Shop.

I puffy heart love Harris Teeter.  I don't see much of anything in the Wegman's pictures that looks much (if any) better than our local HT.  I almost panicked a couple of years ago when Kroger bought HT, but thankfully they don't seem to have changed a thing.  Prices are a little higher than other places, but they have very good sales and the customer service is outstanding.

I personally don't get the love of Whole Foods.  I just don't.

• Like 6

Actually, I don't either.  We finally got one nearby.  I went once to look around.  I left without having bought anything.  Probably the only thing that interested me were the dried herbs and spices because they had some more unusual ones I can't find in a regular store.  Otherwise it's extremely expensive. 

• Like 2

I puffy heart love Harris Teeter.  I don't see much of anything in the Wegman's pictures that looks much (if any) better than our local HT.  I almost panicked a couple of years ago when Kroger bought HT, but thankfully they don't seem to have changed a thing.  Prices are a little higher than other places, but they have very good sales and the customer service is outstanding.

When I lived in Nashville, I loved Harris Teeter. :)  The store near us used to make the best pimento cheese.  It was kind of spicy and so addictive.

Amelia Island (NE Florida near Georgia) has a Harris Teeter.  I always go when I'm there. :)

• Like 4

Is that the same as many call the "Atlanta Farmer's Market?" My DHs Grandfather worked at whatever the international farmers market was called in Atl. He worked there for decades before he passed away. I wish we were closer but it is too far! Lucky you to be so near!

If it's the one off East Ponce in Decatur, yes. Love that place! The "Atlanta farmer's market" is in Forest Park. It's very different from what it used to be though. Now it's mostly people reselling stuff instead of the actual farmers. My grandmother lived near there, and I spent summers with her. We would go get fruit at least once a week.

No Wegman's in Atlanta. I hope they decide to come here!

If it's the one off East Ponce in Decatur, yes. Love that place! The "Atlanta farmer's market" is in Forest Park. It's very different from what it used to be though. Now it's mostly people reselling stuff instead of the actual farmers. My grandmother lived near there, and I spent summers with her. We would go get fruit at least once a week.

No Wegman's in Atlanta. I hope they decide to come here!

https://search.yahoo.com/local/s;_ylt=AwrBJSCWGYNVxjIAXXDumYlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTBtMzFvaW44BGNvbG8DYmYxBHZ0aWQDBHQxcG9zAzI-?p=wegmans+locations&addr=Brookhaven%2C+GA&listingid=44935101

when I searched online I came up with a Wegmans in Brookhaven

When I lived in Nashville, I loved Harris Teeter. :)  The store near us used to make the best pimento cheese.  It was kind of spicy and so addictive.

Amelia Island (NE Florida near Georgia) has a Harris Teeter.  I always go when I'm there. :)

Oh!!  I had forgotten all about that delicious pimento cheese.  I cannot find anything else that comes anywhere close to it.  I have tried.  I have tried to make my own, bought Publix brand, bought some South Carolina brand that my Publix carries but it is just not the same.

Do we have a drooling smiley here? :drool5:

• Like 1

Yeah, I've seen that before searching to see if Atlanta is coming soon. It's a few miles from my house. There's no Wegman's there unless it's hiding. :) It would be a strange place to put one--that's the access road that runs beside 85N near REI if you've been there. I wonder if it's a corporate office placeholder or something...

I prefer Stator Brothers or Von's, but they are only in the west.

When we vacationed in Fl,the Publix was uber expensive compared their Own stores in other states....I've always wanted to go to a Piggly Wiggly....I like the name ☺

• Like 1

Yeah, I've seen that before searching to see if Atlanta is coming soon. It's a few miles from my house. There's no Wegman's there unless it's hiding. :) It would be a strange place to put one--that's the access road that runs beside 85N near REI if you've been there. I wonder if it's a corporate office placeholder or something...

hmm odd. I am not in Atlanta much. We will go for our Varsity or IKEA fix, the rare Braves game, etc. We rarely make it past the airport. We tend to stay to the south metro.

Odd that it shows up on some maps. Misleading.

Yep. Publix is way too pricey for us. Kroger, Walmart and Trader Joe's are my stand-bys with occasional trips to Costco or Aldi.  I did a spreadsheet a couple of years ago to formally compare prices for grocery items I buy regularly and Publix was about 30% higher than Walmart and 20 something% higher than Kroger, for the exact same items.

I do think their meats are better than Walmart and their fried chx at the deli is excellent! 

I still think that Whole Foods is the bombdiggity,

Our Whole Foods smells like, well, a combination of rotten fruit and sour milk. It has smelled that way for years. I've been twice, about five years apart. I won't be going back.

Our Whole Foods smells like, well, a combination of rotten fruit and sour milk. It has smelled that way for years. I've been twice, about five years apart. I won't be going back.

Well, we have 4 in our metro.  The newest ones are glorious and gorgeous.  Really, they're the top end of luxury grocery stores.  Deli/eat in section is amazing.  Produce is gorgeous. We have an older one and that one is smaller and the selection is smaller.  It's more large co-op sized.   The aisles are narrow and it's hard to get around in there.  The building is kind of shabby. But the produce quality is still super awesome and I still pickup basics there.  Coincidentally, that one is being rebuilt/moved to a much larger location less than a mile away (both are less than 5 miles from our house) this year.

Anyway, I've definitely never had any experience like that at any of our local 4 Whole Foods.  And I don't think WF is the be all/end all.  I have some issues with it.  I do like it for some things though.