Menu

I admire their idealism but. . .

Use newsprint or something already produced that would be trash, anyway. Or tie them together in a wracked pile with yarn or twine :)

my nephew has requested no boxes or wrapping paper on their wedding gifts in order to save the environment. You know, there are some practical reasons for boxes at least, for transport as well as making sure they know who things are from. I'm trying to wrap his gift in a blankety-blank tea-towel. . . .

I would reuse things, that would keep things in the spirit. I have seen things on pinterest about making newspaper wrapping look nifty.
  • Like 1

I don't think it's sweet. I think it is an irritating way to inconvenience the wedding guests.

It's nice that they care about the environment, but it is incredibly rude to make demands on how their guests package their gifts.

I would forget about a gift and give them cash. And I would wrap it in one of last year's Christmas cards with my name crossed out and their names penciled in.

You know. For the environment and all. ;)

Merry Wedding.

Well, they did tell us that we could contribute to their "dream" fund.  I just couldn't do it.  I have dreams too but no one is funding them. . .  and I wouldn't dream of asking!  But in case I sound too crabby, I am delighted to celebrate their wedding with them even if I have to bring a tea-towel wrapped gift.  

• Like 18

I think it's rude. I only eat free range, drug free meat. I don't have a problem eating meat, but I don't believe animals should be raised in misery. I've never expected anyone to do the same in my presence. I wouldn't inconvenience someone like that.

• Like 12

Pillowcase. Done.

Only if it is from the thrift store and since the goal is to save the planet she will have to walk or bike there and back. I think a nice 50's style pillowcase that smells like old lady who smoked a carton a day will be perfect. You do not want to waste water buy washing it and all.

• Like 28

If I received a request like that from a family member, I'd grin and bear it, and figure out a way.  Wrapping in fabric does make the most sense.   Most anyone else... I might take a pass on the whole thing. 

But what about gifts that are shipped?  I have never taken a gift to a wedding - I always have them shipped.  

• Like 3

I love the idea, and have really appreciated when people have wrapped or given me gifts with things like a blanket, tea towel, or cloth re-useable bag. I just don't think of doing it myself. There is an issue about returning items with warrenties and not having the original box, though. I'd just let them buy those things themself.

I REALLY wish that toy companies had a requirement to minimize the plastic used in their packaging. Maybe something like $1000 fine for every minute and tool it takes a customer to release the poor toy! ;)

• Like 12

We wrap in fabric for every occasion, yet I wouldn't dream of demanding that all gifts given to us be wrapped similarly. Telling people that you have restrictions/demands/improvements for gifts given to yourself is rude.

This is yet another example of someone trying to make themselves feel superior (look at us WE are earth-friendly) but actually revealing that they are a dunderhead.

• Like 15

Oh my word. I hope they're cute, 'cause they sure aren't very smart. Perhaps they'll grow up one day, look back and be appalled the behavior of their younger selves.

Eta: I don't mean to insult your relatives. This is silly but hardly indicative of poor character. I do expect they will grow up one day and roll their eyes at their presumptuousness.

• Like 7

Furoshiki ?

It's very sweet they have asked this. For big presents, I'd wrap in a tablecloth or something similar.

My new favorite F word. "Oh furoshiki! Not another request from the McGreens. Now they requested that all guests unicycle to the wedding!"

I'm impressed with all the creative ideas yall have. I'd def be using that request as an excuse to give a gift card. Or maybe even recycle and give a bunch of gift cards that I received and don't want. ;) I hate wrapping gifts anyway, so I'd be just fine with their request though.

• Like 3

I'd see it as an interesting challenge. I didn't think it was necessarily rude, so I'm surprised at some of the comments here.

I'd be happy if people would always send me their wish lists and I could do the same. It would make shopping and selecting gifts a breeze and minimize waste and clutter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I'd see it as an interesting challenge. I didn't think it was necessarily rude, so I'm surprised at some of the comments here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that anytime someone makes a demand related to a gift or gifts they expect to receive... it's pretty rude.

A couple I know encouraged thrift store gifts as wedding gifts, but did not demand them.  They also had a registry at Target or similar store for people who didn't feel inspired to search for dinnerware at the local thrift stores. 

(The request, by the way, wasn't on the invitation but the wedding website.)

• Like 6

Please take a picture of the gift table! 

I think this will encourage people to donate to their dream fund. Also, what if you buy them something that comes in packaging? Like a crock pot that has a box and styrofoam inside to keep it from breaking during shipping? Are you supposed to remove all that? Because that's a lot more trash than a piece of wrapping paper. And if you remove it, they sure aren't going to be able to return those gifts if they get three crock pots!

• Like 6

Why must even weddings now have a platform or make a point other than celebrating the occasion?

I thought gift bags were the ultimate recyclable gift wrap!  I didn't have to buy a wedding gift bag or baby shower gift bag for years after mine!   I don't get the no boxes thing.  Most things come in a box already.  And boxes are reusuable.

I think it is impolite to make such requests, but what do you do.  You try to honor their wishes & enjoy their wedding.

Enjoyed the funny suggestions.  Thanks for the chuckle!  I need it this morning.

• Like 8

When I think of all the waste generated at a wedding -- food, gas, fresh flowers, dresses that will never be worn again -- wrapping paper seems one of  the least of the environmental issues.  

But, whatever.  It's their wedding.  I'd buy them a sheet set and wrap it in one of the pillowcases.

• Like 14

Pack stuff in one of those "green" re-useable shopping bags.  One can never have too many of those things!

Or - at the reception give each of them a big hug and say "I didn't know what to give you that didn't need wrapping... ": and hug them again.

Hugs need no wrapping.

:coolgleamA:

• Like 11

Keep in mind that this is a request for wedding gifts, not a request for gifts for the rest of their lives. When people are getting married, they have a tendency to think the world revolves around them. My brother is getting married next month, and he and his fiancee are driving everyone crazy with their lack of concern about how their wedding plans might affect others. My mom is keeping things in perspective by remembering that they're not always like this and that I was the same way 12 years ago. It surprised me when she told me this because, at the time, I thought everything I did and said was completely reasonable.

• Like 6

Yeah, I would find that request to be totally annoying.  I would probably just not wrap the gift at all, or I would put it in a reusable shopping bag.  My choice of gift would likely be affected by these wrapping options as well.  

People are strange.  

I don't think it's sweet. I think it is an irritating way to inconvenience the wedding guests.

It's nice that they care about the environment, but it is incredibly rude to make demands on how their guests package their gifts.

I would forget about a gift and give them cash. And I would wrap it in one of last year's Christmas cards with my name crossed out and their names penciled in.

You know. For the environment and all. ;)

Merry Wedding.

Honestly, when I read the OP, I wondered if the couple read all the stories about how rude it was to ask for money directly, so came up with this "disguise" to ask for money. You know, make it so difficult for guests to comply with their request and just wind up with a pile of cash and/or gift cards.

But I'm cynical that way.

• Like 5

Make a donation to an environmental group in their name, then write the happy couple a note about your lovely gesture on the back of a used grocery list. :tongue_smilie:

Erica in OR

OR just text them a photo of your recycling bins by the curb and tell them that you recycled in their name that week!

• Like 8

I'm all for saving the environment, but this would irritate me. I'm getting a little tired of the requests of the guests being made by the bride and groom. The last one I got requested 'modest dress only'. Uh,what is your definition of modest dress. It was a 100 degrees, and I wasn't going to wear sleeves. It stressed me out so much I didn't go, just sent them a gift card and wished them well in life.

Anyway, I'd use a pillow case, or my default, a gift card.

• Like 3

LOL at some of the suggestions.  I'm really not stressing about it.  I already got the gift and the tea towel so that's what it's going to be.  There is a bit of  an eye roll but this is a nephew who's been coming back from a difficult time in life with bad choices so an idealistic choice or two is actually a welcome change.  I'm not a natural gift giver so I was taken a bit back at first because even if it wouldn't be hard for a natural gift giver, it made things more challenging for me!  I'm curious what the gift table will look like too.  

• Like 5

They are going to have so many reusable bags they will be throwing them away. :D The cheap ones aren't environmentally friendly and what do you do with fabric unless you sew? Hasn't it been transported across the world after it is made and dyed and what  not....

• Like 1

I think that's less trouble, really. I always have newsprint from circulars etc in the recycle bin. I never have have wedding gftwrap on hand. I would be thrilled.

I guess I'm too efficient a recycler.  I dislike having to crawl in the big rolling bin and digging through it to get what I want out again!  

I suppose the ultimate environmentally friendly gift would be something from your own household that you no longer use. I've got a couple of sets of dishes, an extra pot or two, and a bunch of well used, but still useable tea towels to wrap them in.

Nah...I usually give a cast iron skillet wrapped in tulle leftover from my own son's wedding.

This thread made me laugh...

• Like 2

I can see why it is frustrating you Jean if you're not use to it and/or had little warning about it. 

I'm not sure how it is more inconvenient or rude than anything else either wedding or gift wrap wise other than it is not the usual way to do things - lots of people complain about how the usual way to do wrapping papers and wedding stuff are a pain and if it was typical to do things other ways they would likely do so. As long as it worded nice like 'if you want to buy us a present please do so...' I do not get how it is any ruder than any of the other gift requests common these days. But then, I gave up on wrapping paper years ago because it was such a wasteful pain spending nights doing it and the gift bags we use are far better (and my partner and I eloped partially to avoid the usual stress and pain of weddings so didn't deal with presents other than the few some friends and family gave later). Haven't asked anyone else not to do so though now that I've thought about it the only ones who still use wrapping are my very old fashioned in-laws and even then only for their rare nonhandmade stuff. Cloth and other bags are way more popular here or that may just be the people I know. 

For wrapping - tea towels, normal towels, pillow cases, blankets are good for bigger thing (asking a small child to go get a blanket and them finding massive thing under it was priceless last year). These storage bags made from recycled materials make great reusable gift bags and very easy to use and durable (my kids each have a jumbo one from this site which we use New Years and Children's Day - each of my kids have one.).  Or just tagging part of the gift. There are lots of ways that are easier than wrapping paper once we get used to it. 

It is not impossible to recycle/reuse boxes, ribbons and wrapping paper. 

I might choose to give the couple a [used] copy of this well-known book:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Tightwad-Gazette-Dacyczyn/dp/0375752250

Don't even wrap it, as per dictatorial instructions.

There have been, however, some great suggestions!  A "virtual gift" neither occupies space nor generates waste.

• Like 1

When I think of all the waste generated at a wedding -- food, gas, fresh flowers, dresses that will never be worn again -- wrapping paper seems one of  the least of the environmental issues.  

But, whatever.  It's their wedding.  I'd buy them a sheet set and wrap it in one of the pillowcases.

:hurray: :iagree:

I'm all for saving the environment, but this would irritate me. I'm getting a little tired of the requests of the guests being made by the bride and groom. The last one I got requested 'modest dress only'. Uh,what is your definition of modest dress. It was a 100 degrees, and I wasn't going to wear sleeves. It stressed me out so much I didn't go, just sent them a gift card and wished them well in life.

:cursing: :svengo: :ack2:

the ONLY way you get to tell me what to wear to your wedding is if you make me a bridesmaid. And even then I have the freedom to decline the offer and wear whatever the eff I want.

• Like 6

I don't have any problem with a request for modest attire at a wedding.  There are religious groups that have their own requirements for what constitutes acceptable clothing for people visiting their places of worship.  As one example, visitors to an Orthodox Christian monastery must wear long sleeves, whether the visitor be male or female.  Skirts/dresses required for females, with hemlines below the knee, and no shorts for men. 

It is not my right to impose my more relaxed daily attire onto the people whose home/space I am visiting.  Sure, I can choose not to visit somewhere, but I would not make my decision to stay away based on something like that.

EDIT:  Well, I definitely would decide to stay away from a nudist wedding where guests were asked to [not] dress in comparable style.  :001_smile:

• Like 3

Haha  you should've made a dress out of the pillowcase!

• Like 1