Menu

You know what I noticed in the picture of the new royal baby...

bettyandbob

Same here. I'm jealous. I have short, chubby fingers to begin with and pregnancy only made them worse. With my first I even tried to find a cheap fake ring to wear for a while because I was self-conscious about looking very young AND not wearing my wedding rings. I was 25 when DS was born and still mistaken for a teenager.

• Like 1

I think this varies a lot. I don't think I had to take off my rings.

She's been throwing up continually for nine months, so loose rings might be a consequence.

See that's where I thought I'd relate. I had hyperemesis. IV fluids was standard for all of my pregnancies. Threw up all day long for 8 months with the first one. Even lost weight. And my hands still swelled.

• Like 2

For someone who's been sick the whole time, she sure does look good. My hair has never looked that good, let alone just hours after delivering a baby! Her dress is beautiful, and she looks radiant!  ( If she was an American, all the tabloids would probably say that she faked her pregnancy and the baby is adopted. )

• Like 3

For someone who's been sick the whole time, she sure does look good. My hair has never looked that good, let alone just hours after delivering a baby! Her dress is beautiful, and she looks radiant!  ( If she was an American, all the tabloids would probably say that she faked her pregnancy and the baby is adopted. )

My dd said she "has people". Which is more likely than my theory of a body double. 

• Like 7

She can afford to get the rings resized as needed.  And I bet as soon as she got in the car she kicked off her shoes, sighed and dozed off.  Just had to hold it together for the cameras a few minutes. 

Better than afford it, she likely wouldn't have to go out of her way to have it done.  Someone can come to her, measure her hand, and take the ring and go do it.  Too easy.

• Like 6

For someone who's been sick the whole time, she sure does look good. My hair has never looked that good, let alone just hours after delivering a baby! Her dress is beautiful, and she looks radiant! ( If she was an American, all the tabloids would probably say that she faked her pregnancy and the baby is adopted. )

Well her hair is absolutely gorgeous. but I did just see her on TV walking down the steps without the baby in front of her stomach (William was holding the baby) and she still has a noticeable baby pooch, so she is human. :)

• Like 4

I've been able to wear my rings for all of my pregnancies but the first, and even then they weren't tight, but I took them off preemptively. I've never been sick; I just don't gain much weight, and what I do gain is only in my belly, not face or anywhere. No IV either, since I've also not had a hospital birth. And no tearing; I've never been anything but a little sore afterward, but even steps weren't terrible. Honestly, I looked really good after several of my births, although not as polished as Kate, given that I don't have her team. I do know that I've been lucky in those respects, but it is possible. Kate looked lovely, and I hope the new family of four had a good first night together and that mama and baby are resting comfortably.

I never took my rings off when I was pregnant. Not every woman has to do that. I know when George was born, her hairdresser went to the hospital, so I imagine it was the same with this new one. When I left the hospital I did so with my hair & makeup done, I don't think it's really a big deal - it took me no more than 30 minutes for shower, hair & makeup. It's not really a big deal. I was tired, but also energized (I was also there for 48 hours). 

I am glad I don't have to live in the media spotlight. 

• Like 3

I've been able to wear my rings for all of my pregnancies but the first, and even then they weren't tight, but I took them off preemptively. I've never been sick; I just don't gain much weight, and what I do gain is only in my belly, not face or anywhere. No IV either, since I've also not had a hospital birth. And no tearing; I've never been anything but a little sore afterward, but even steps weren't terrible. Honestly, I looked really good after several of my births, although not as polished as Kate, given that I don't have her team. I do know that I've been lucky in those respects, but it is possible. Kate looked lovely, and I hope the new family of four had a good first night together and that mama and baby are resting comfortably.

just so you understand IV fluids were not during birth. I, and others who have been hyperemetic, had IV fluids at various times during pregnancy because there's a point where you've thrown up so much that you can't rehydrate yourself (at least not easily). I mean really can't. Unless you've been there you don't know. You try to stay ahead on fluids, but you can't. So IV fluids has nothing to do with having a hospital birth. It has to do with just getting through the pregnancy. I know that during her first pregnancy, the Duchess, was hospitalized for hyperemesis. She likely had IV fluids to rehydrate during that time. I don't recall if she had hyperemesis this pregnancy. 

• Like 3

just so you understand IV fluids were not during birth. I, and others who have been hyperemetic, had IV fluids at various times during pregnancy because there's a point where you've thrown up so much that you can't rehydrate yourself (at least not easily). I mean really can't. Unless you've been there you don't know. You try to stay ahead on fluids, but you can't. So IV fluids has nothing to do with having a hospital birth. It has to do with just getting through the pregnancy. I know that during her first pregnancy, the Duchess, was hospitalized for hyperemesis. She likely had IV fluids to rehydrate during that time. I don't recall if she had hyperemesis this pregnancy.

Oh, I know. That came off oddly, the way I put it. My comment about IV fluids wasn't about those of you who have suffered the horrific sounding hyperemesis (it really sounds horrible) and have had IV fluids during pregnancy. It was a reference to some of the other comments I'd seen other places about how some moms were all puffy from the IV during labor, and why didn't Kate look like that? Well, because not all moms get IV fluids during birth. But it really didn't have anything to do with those of you who have been so sick during pregnancy; I'm sorry if it came off that way. Mamas who have been through so much to get their babies here are seriously my heroes!

• Like 1

I can't get over that she is wearing *heels*. Is she wearing pantyhose as well?

All I can think is that the LAST thing I would have wanted to wear 10 hours after giving birth is a pair of pantyhose. The postpartum bleeding yuckiness and pantyhose? Shudder

I was wearing freaking depends underwear due to the amount of pp bleeding. Blech. 

• Like 3

All I can think is that the LAST thing I would have wanted to wear 10 hours after giving birth is a pair of pantyhose. The postpartum bleeding yuckiness and pantyhose? Shudder

I was wearing freaking depends underwear due to the amount of pp bleeding. Blech. 

I feel kinda bad for her, actually. To have to get dressed with hair and makeup HOURS after birth to stand and wave for people-- that just sounds terrible. Seriously I'd be terrified of leaking blood all over that pretty dress.  Maybe now it's out of the way and she can go home and hide for a few weeks. But I think a brand new mom deserves more time and space before having to present herself to the public.

• Like 14

The new princess' mother (Kate) is wearing her wedding rings.

Three babies here and never been able to wear my wedding rings last the fifth or sixth month of pregnancy. So I'm a little jealous.

I have not taken my wedding rings off since the day I married at 19. At this point, they are a part of my body and you'd have to break the band to get them off bc my knuckle bones are too big for them to come over.

My first thought was that I've never looked that good a day in my life, whether I'd just given birth or not. I feel bad that she has to be under so much public scrutiny so soon after having a baby. I hope she gets to be pampered and rest and recover now.

I couldn't wear rings or even my normal shoes before and for a while after my older DD was born. I didn't have as much swelling with my second but still took my rings off because I didn't want to risk it.

• Like 2

Depends on the person.  I never had a problem with my rings fitting.  At may lowest or my highest weights, pregnant or not.  They fit just fine.  

I was 22yo and under 120lbs when I got married, wore them all the way through delivery at 160lbs.  

20 years later, now I weigh 145 without pregnancy, and I tried them on a month ago and they still fit just the same.  (I haven't wore my rings in 10 years due to a lost stone, but ran across them in my jewelry box and showed them to dd who was sitting there. )

I never had to remove my rings while pregnant either. I was horribly ill and had preterm labor with my first. I spent most of the time in the hospital on an IV and at home on bed rest but I never had issues with my fingers swelling.

I've also gained 50 pounds since I married but my rings still fit with no trouble (and I have tiny fingers - my ring size is 4.5).

She probably has on Depends with her thigh high stockings, LOL!

• Like 1

Not all bleed heavily after birth.  I had natural births without inductions but  I was always given a heavy dose of  pitocin after birth to control bleeding.  It worked really well as my bleeding was never heavier than a period and lasted just  a couple of weeks.  I had hyperemesis as well so maybe the docs were trying to give me a break by not letting me bleed tons.  maybe the same for her?

The new princess' mother (Kate) is wearing her wedding rings.

Three babies here and never been able to wear my wedding rings last the fifth or sixth month of pregnancy. So I'm a little jealous.

My fingers are the only part of me that won't get fat - and believe me, the rest of my body does not have that issue :D.

I still can't get over being brave enough to have a white dress designed for that moment...it was bespoke according to papers so she planned. Doubt that she has pantyhose on, I think she just has great legs because she never appears to wear skin coloured tights.

I wore my rings through my first pregnancy and labor and delivery, never took them off. My second i swelled up like a giant sausage butthey fit after birth. And after my third i swell every morning and rarely remember to put my rings on after that :(