Menu

What are we going to DOOOO?????

fairfarmhand

Terrible news. Just Terrible.

Our county is building an expansion for our library. For the past year, the kids and I have admired the new building going up and eyed the plans posted in the library on an easel. Today, when we went in, we saw a poster.

This Friday is the last day that our library will be open for FOUR TO SIX WEEKS!

Oh the anguish.

Oh the agony.

We pretty much maxed out our card limit.

Bawl. Sob. Gasp.

• Like 12

Our county is building an expansion for our library. For the past year, the kids and I have admired the new building going up and eyed the plans posted in the library on an easel. Today, when we went in, we saw a poster.

This Friday is the last day that our library will be open for FOUR TO SIX WEEKS!

Oh the anguish.

Oh the agony.

Bawl. Sob. Gasp.

Our closest library branch is closed for the rest of the year! Starting February 1. I'm coping on ebooks and audio CD and the occasional LONG drive for books (but then I have to do the same again to return them!)

Hehe. A few years ago when the government was shutting down, I cleaned out the library the day before in anticipation of not having the library for who knows how long. Thank goodness the city defied the federal government and opened the libraries.

• Like 2

Hehe. A few years ago when the government was shutting down, I cleaned out the library the day before in anticipation of not having the library for who knows how long. Thank goodness the city defied the federal government and opened the libraries.

Federal shutdowns don't impact state and local governments. Your city or county run library is safe!

• Like 1

Federal shutdowns don't impact state and local governments. Your city or county run library is safe!

I live in DC. They do impact my local government because my local government is not autonomous and is not allowed to spend our own tax money without representatives that we're not allowed to vote for approving it. In the 90's when the government shut down, they stopped the trash pick up. I hear the city rat problem went nuts. The only reason the library was allowed to stay open this time was that the mayor defied the federal government and called it "essential." In past shutdowns, they shut the libraries down.

• Like 8

Remember in It's a Wonderful Life when Clarence breaks the terrible news to George that Mary is, "in the library!"?

I always wondered about that. Why was it supposed to be such a bad thing? I would have loved to be in the library all day! Mary was one lucky lady.

• Like 3

If you have a spouse/significant other with a library card, can you use that card to increase the number of books you take out? How about the kiddos? Do they all have library cards? Because the thought of no library for 4-6 weeks is **terrifying**! 

Unfortunately, our library limit is "per family." :(

I live in DC. They do impact my local government because my local government is not autonomous and is not allowed to spend our own tax money without representatives that we're not allowed to vote for approving it. In the 90's when the government shut down, they stopped the trash pick up. I hear the city rat problem went nuts. The only reason the library was allowed to stay open this time was that the mayor defied the federal government and called it "essential." In past shutdowns, they shut the libraries down.

Ah, DC, of course. The last shutdown was two weeks before my due date. When I mentioned the shutdown to my midwife, she was very concerned about our local library.... It's amazing what some people don't understand about government... I'm embarrassed I thought to include you in that group.

• Like 1

Oh the anguish.

Oh the agony.

Bawl. Sob. Gasp.

When our library did this (closed for 4-6 weeks) they let anyone who wanted them to check out 50 books.  Each.  They were putting in new carpet or something.  However many books were checked out were ones they didn't have to box up and move during the process.  They did stagger the returns over the course of 2 weeks.  :-)

• Like 1

Remember in It's a Wonderful Life when Clarence breaks the terrible news to George that Mary is, "in the library!"?

I always wondered about that. Why was it supposed to be such a bad thing? I would have loved to be in the library all day! Mary was one lucky lady.

It was a cultural belief that it was, on some level, tragic and sad for women to be old maids. When that movie was made pink collar jobs like teacher and librarian and secretary were almost exclusively held by young women before they married or by "old maids". Nearly all of the time pink collar employers considered a wedding announcement a resignation. The few that did allow women to keep working post marriage would definitely require you to quit if you were pregnant. Most of jobs opened to married women and mothers were labor geared to poor women who had no choice but to work- maids, laundress, farm work, some factory work. The sad note in the movies is because poor Mary is 30ish and unmarried and childless, not that she is at the library. It's just tragic that she was the librarian. We've come a long way baby.

I never understood that either because if you were George Bailey, I think the thought of Mary married to someone else would be more upsetting, but those were the times, lol.

• Like 2

Our children's department was flooded back in October. Since then the only kids books and junior novels were ones that were turned in. It has finally opened as of this past week. I was lucky in the fact the the older 3 depend on the teen selection that isn't in the area, and the youngest has a ton of books at home (he's still at the Magic Treehouse level so we own tons of them).

Unfortunately, our library limit is "per family." :(

Ummm...how does that work?

I mean, how would they know that people are related? I mean, obviously our librarians know as we live in Small Town USA, but how would they know that DH and I are a family? Just due to the same last name? 

Anyway, I feel your pain. We will be going through the same thing sometime in the near future. Thankfully, there is another library not too far away. (Disclaimer: our kiddos are all littles. I am sure this is much more painful with older kiddos who are compulsory school age.)

• Like 1

Oh the anguish.

Oh the agony.

Bawl. Sob. Gasp.

Visit another branch?

Ummm...how does that work?

I mean, how would they know that people are related? I mean, obviously our librarians know as we live in Small Town USA, but how would they know that DH and I are a family? Just due to the same last name?

Because they have your address.

• Like 2

It was a cultural belief that it was, on some level, tragic and sad for women to be old maids. When that movie was made pink collar jobs like teacher and librarian and secretary were almost exclusively held by young women before they married or by "old maids". Nearly all of the time pink collar employers considered a wedding announcement a resignation. The few that did allow women to keep working post marriage would definitely require you to quit if you were pregnant. Most of jobs opened to married women and mothers were labor geared to poor women who had no choice but to work- maids, laundress, farm work, some factory work. The sad note in the movies is because poor Mary is 30ish and unmarried and childless, not that she is at the library. It's just tragic that she was the librarian. We've come a long way baby.

I never understood that either because if you were George Bailey, I think the thought of Mary married to someone else would be more upsetting, but those were the times, lol.

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

Thanks for the insight! I love learning this kind of historical-literary reference/

Because they have your address.

So...roommates are subject to the same limit? So the library declares two friends who decide to rent an apartment together to be family.  Sorry, sharing an address doesn't make someone family.

I would not be okay with this rule for limits. I am sort of okay with limits as long as they are reasonable. (Then again, I think our libraries is low. It's 75 items per card at a time.)

Thankfully, they will be waiving that limit when the library moves in the near future.

So...roommates are subject to the same limit? So the library declares two friends who decide to rent an apartment together to be family.  Sorry, sharing an address doesn't make someone family.

I would not be okay with this rule for limits. I am sort of okay with limits as long as they are reasonable. (Then again, I think our libraries is low. It's 75 items per card at a time.)

Thankfully, they will be waiving that limit when the library moves in the near future.

They actually just group our cards all together in a family. My name is also on my kids' cards. I suppose with roomies, you would just tell them you needed a separate account and the librarian could fix the issue.

The reason for it is that we have a smallish library and they don't want all their materials checked out. We also live in an area when it is quite likely that they will not be returned in a timely manner, if at all.