Menu

Best names for stuffed animal/doll "friends"

Zydruna

My dd has always been able to come up with awesomely unusual names for her many, many (way too many!) stuffed animals, but we heard one the other day that I think might even top some of her best ones.  This little girl had a doll named "ups truck" :smilielol5:

I have sadly forgotten many of the gems that dd has come up with.  The most recent one I can think of  is Vali Polka - because it is Valentine-themed and polka-dotted of course!  I can also remember a doll that had a very long name, like Princess Sunshine Light Cloud Eternal, or something like that.

Do any of your dc's come up with wacky names for their toys?

• Like 2

The ones I remember are: 

Jingle Bear (he had a bell inside)

Sunshine Bear (always had an encouraging word to say)

Biscotti Bear (he had a bit of a poor attitude and complained a lot)

Tea Bear (she was a southern belle, hat and accent included)

• Like 2

Looking back, I always thought my childhood doll-naming scheme lacked creativity.  I had bath baby (in the bath tub), music baby (with the wind up music box), bed baby (who I slept with), hair cut baby (whose hair I had butchered), etc.

Then I met my children.  Three kids in, and every one of them has named every stuffed animal Bubba.  There are bear Bubbas and dog Bubbas and lion Bubbas.  They are all Bubba.  Even George Foreman didn't name every one of his kids George (just most of them).   :lol:

Wendy

• Like 4

Our second dd has a stuffed bear that she named Cranky.

She found and bobble head Burger King guy at a garage sale (in the free bin - hate those) and named him Tom and Jerry.

She's named her doll house parents after Dh and me, so the names themselves aren't weird, it's just weird to hear her talk about them.

She likes to get stuffed animals that look similar, but are different sizes and name them the same, but with big and little first (my favorite is Big Lucy). :-)

I am always amazed at how one bear can warrant a fancy name like Scipio Victor Mosca (she had just read The Thief Lord), or Shorl Kadzo Elasti (no idea where that one came from), but a very similar looking bear gets something very simple like Karen. 

• Like 1

DD has a stuffed snake named Barbecue (he's a diamondback rattlesnake, and they do have markings that look kind of like a grill pattern, but still....poor snake!)

We also have two live snakes-one named Wadjet, after the Egyptian goddess who is either pictured as a woman with the head of a cobra or as a cobra, and the other named Pinkie Py(thon) after a my little pony!

• Like 1

We are SO uncreative here.

Rebecca has two identical (one is older than the other, long story) stuffed lions.  The first one's name?  Lion.  Second one?  Uncle Lion.

Sylvia got crazy with it and decided to name her black and white stuffed kitty.... Meow Meow.

I tell ya...

• Like 2

UPS Truck reminds me...didn't Ramona have a doll name Chevrolet?

Yes, and in a later book she proclaims that Chevrolet is a silly name, and you should never name your baby for a car, and then a couple pages later her parents ask her for suggestions for names for the new baby and she suggest Aston Martin, and says "I can't remember where I heard it but I always thought it sounded nice." or something.

The book never points out that Aston Martin's are also cars, so it probably goes right over the head of the target audience, but it always makes me laugh when I read it.

• Like 1

DD16 had over 45 Build-a-Bears and I am sure at least 30 Webkins.....each had an individual name and personality. They were her friends on the days when she was homeschooling and her friends weren't home from school yet or couldn't play.  She would tell me entire stories about her animals lives and how they interacted with other animals. She had condos made out of BAB boxes and each one had its own family.  Her towns even included mayors and reporters, so that when an issue came up there was someone to go to.....and someone to write the daily news.

My favorite was a floppy eared dog named Butterscotch and its matching baby named Applescotch.  Something about her stories that involved  Butterscotch and Applescotch together always made me smile. 

She tested me the other day and we were both pretty surprised that I could name the correct animal for about 80% of the names she could come up with. There was a mix of common and silly names so there wasn't really a theme.

Azura--tree frog

Einstein- beaver

Barker-seal

Tiffany-cat

Cloudy-bear with rainbows on it

etc

• Like 2

When DS was 1.5 we got him a stuffed lamb which for Easter which we we dubbed DAAAA! since that was his attempt at baaa and he would shout it every time he saw the toy.

When he was 3, he got a stuffed Clifford from my mom, which he appropriately called Clissord (Cifford). But then he found the spare and dubbed the original Blue-collar Clifford as we had replaced his black ribbon collar with a real blue one. So then he had Blue-collar Clifford and "his brother" Black-collar Clifford and he refers to them with these full names.

DD16 had over 45 Build-a-Bears and I am sure at least 30 Webkins.....each had an individual name and personality. They were her friends on the days when she was homeschooling and her friends weren't home from school yet or couldn't play.  She would tell me entire stories about her animals lives and how they interacted with other animals. She had condos made out of BAB boxes and each one had its own family.  Her towns even included mayors and reporters, so that when an issue came up there was someone to go to.....and someone to write the daily news.

This is my daughter also - not to the extent of mayors and reporters, but every animal has a personality - to the point where certain stuffed animals are not allowed in the car because they are so naughty.  My daughter has these three dogs who's names are Chi-wawa doggie, Mr. Pebbles, and Bill. Where did Bill come from?!?  It just doesn't seem to fit.

Turtle named "Turd", which is short for turdle, which is how he pronounced turtle when he named it

Skunk named "Gassy", because skunks stink

Dog named "Multi" because it is multi-colored

Bear named "Colorful" because it is, well, colorful

Sock monkey named "Beardo" because it looks like he has a beard

Almost all his animal are named based on obvious feature, like size and/or colors.

All of these are Joseph's. My others only had a few stuffed animals and they didn't have strange names at all. Joseph sleeps with between 15-20 stuffed animals every night.

My kids didn't start naming their softies until they were school-aged.  No idea why.  Before that they were "Bear" or "Doll."

Now the special dolls' names are Yaya, Booboo, and Lulu.  Each one has a distinct personality (even though they are all pretty much the same doll).  Yaya is very sharp-tongued and Booboo is outright naughty.

Same daughter has a cheetah cub named Chica or Cheeks for short, and a tiger cub named Tegan.

Other kid has Baby Bear, Crabby Baby Bear, and Sucky Bear.

Our Doberman was named Guadalupe the Maniac. The Mastiff was Optimus Prime when he was naughty or Moosey when he was being good. The Mastiff was also nicknamed SpongeMouth, but if you have ever spent much time around a Mastiff then you realize this is not as much imaginative as just gross.

Supposedly the future dog is going to be named Thuclydidies. Unless it is a girl. Apparently it would be silly to name a girl dog that. If it is a girl he wants to name her Praesidonium. Definitely more of a girl name....

In the stuffed creatures realm there was Honkey the Horse, but that was just funny. Tiny Ds would ask "Where is my Honkey?" Dh still this it is funny. Ds still doesn't get it. Abernathy is the elephant. There were also two brother cats named Winsome and Mischief; they were blamed for everything.