Menu

Without googling

Scarlett

I know how I've heard it used growing up in Arkansas, but I don't know if it's common usage or just something people said. It meant an all-consuming desire for something. For example, she loves that man with a purple passion for some reason that I don't understand.

• Like 4

I know how I've heard it used growing up in Arkansas, but I don't know if it's common usage or just something people said. It meant an all-consuming desire for something. For example, she loves that man with a purple passion for some reason that I don't understand.

Yes. This is it. It is 'with intense emotion'.

It is also an alcoholic drink.....grape juice and Everclear I think.

I have no idea why I know so many expressions that others have never heard of. My Ds is only 15...so I guess he is just young...but dh had never heard the expression...but he is from CA so maybe that explains that.

• Like 5

I have no idea why I know so many expressions that others have never heard of. My Ds is only 15...so I guess he is just young...but dh had never heard the expression...but he is from CA so maybe that explains that.

Having grown up in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas, I have so many expressions that were super common growing up, but no one knows except us Arkansas hillbillies I guess. Even my husband who's from backwoods Oklahoma will ask me, "What does that even mean?"

• Like 3

Having grown up in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas, I have so many expressions that were super common growing up, but no one knows except us Arkansas hillbillies I guess. Even my husband who's from backwoods Oklahoma will ask me, "What does that even mean?"

LOL.....well I grew up in the Ouachitas so there ya go.

• Like 2

LOL.....well I grew up in the Ouachitas so there ya go.

And my parents were both from southern Missouri - Ozark people too. Maybe that is the key to knowing what purple passion means, because it was a common use expression in my house and my grandparents homes (meaning with great intensity). 

I didn't know it was an alcoholic beverage, but I have very little knowledge of drink names.

• Like 2

It's to be avoided. I have memories like Scarlett. it's all about Everclear, which is not sold in all states, and some fruit juice, often served in a garbage can. If you arrive and see Purple Passion or Purple Jesus you leave because you are in high school and the cops are coming soon.

• Like 5

That is the term I use for something that drives me completely bonkers. As in, "I hate the noise that guy makes when he chews with a burning, purple passion!"

Now I'm going to find out I've been using a term that means something about TeA or appendages turning purple or some such embarrassing thing.

• Like 1

Alabama born and bred here, and I know what it means. I have almost always heard it used to describe how much the speaker hates something or someone, e.g., "I hate English peas with a purple passion." I don't use it myself, but definitely heard it growing up.

It's to be avoided. I have memories like Scarlett. it's all about Everclear, which is not sold in all states, and some fruit juice, often served in a garbage can. If you arrive and see Purple Passion or Purple Jesus you leave because you are in high school and the cops are coming soon.

LOL. I think the only time I was ever near it was in my high school parking lot in XHs truck....before he was husband...he had it in a thermos trying to impress me.....I said no way and went to class.

• Like 1

You are good! By the time I figure out the expressions, the lingo seems to move on ahead of me. Kids these days...

No, if it's made in a trash can it's a Hairy Buffalo. I've heard. You know, from others ;)

And none of this can be confused with a Flying Purple People Eater or a Purple Cow.

• Like 1

Yankee here, never heard of it. We use the phrase "love something with a passion," with a lot of stress on the word "passion," but I've never heard it with an adjective added for emphasis.

And, I don't drink, so there's that.