Menu

Babysitting rate for 22 yr old staying with an 11-month old?

Tranquility7

We've never needed a paid sitter before, and I bet our friend will tell us we don't need to pay her. But if we were to pay her, what would be a reasonable rate? It's a 6-9:30 timeframe, and just an 11-month old. I'm thinking if she says no thanks to cash, we could get her a gift card in the amt we would pay her, is that a good idea? (Probably to Cold Stone Creamery so she could take her sisters and/or nieces and nephews when they are in town.)  Thoughts?

Around here, teens expect $10 for one kid, more for additional kids. College students and older are paid more. Around $15/hour. People that pay them less don't get the sitter to agree to come back, but most sitters are up front about what they charge.

I need your zip code to determine that. :)

For us it depends on driving ability (so 17+ who can drive with kids in the car get more). $10/hr for kids, $15/hr for 17+, $20 for chauffeur service (local), $20/hr + gas for long drives, because when it comes to driving I want the best. This is in the Seattle area. Minimum wage is about $10 but that is not enough for rent and food for someone (with no vacation and no taxes, that is only $20k for an adult working full time the whole year--no way!). So I don't pay that little on principle.

But you are talking about a friend, which in my opinion is different. I mean you're not talking friend of the family's daughter, but a friend of yours?

If it's a friend and she insists you don't pay, but only because it's a friend, I'd do a $35 Amazon gift card with a card saying you know you didn't have to but you really value her time so let her buy herself something special to relax. Cash would be more awkward but that may just be a cultural thing for us.

We do $4 per hour for one kid with $2 for each additional sibling for high school babysitters, and up that to $7 per hour as the base rate for adult sitters.

For my very favorite sitters we way overpay that, but that's our standard beginning spot.

Time warp! I was getting $4-7/hour as a young teen in the early 1990s and $10-14 as a nanny in the later part of the 1990s. Here, all but the youngest teens charge $10+. I envy your prices. :)

Wow. Those prices sound high to me. Oh, I'm not saying they're wrong: I'm just completely out of the loop and didn't realize those were the going rates. Those prices make sense when I think about it, but I haven't thought about it since 1990 when I last had a babysitting job. (Got $4.50 an hour.)

I pay $9 an hour if kids are already put to bed and $10 an hour if they are up or if we ask the sitter to put them to bed.  I usually use teens from our church and find that they are thrilled with the wage. 

I had an interesting incident last time I hired a sitter.  She sat for us for the first time and her mother refused the amount when she came home with it.  I had to  insist to the mother that it is the amount we pay and that we feel caring for our kids deserves that rate.  Her daughter had even cleaned our kitchen and started dinner so we had added a small tip which may have thrown the mom off.  I was just shocked that she felt her daughter couldn't accept it.

I don't know the going rate in your area, but I would encourage you to pay her in cash. A gift card to an ice cream shop seems like an inappropriate payment for an adult.

It seems odd to give someone a gift card so they can use it to take other people out for ice cream, but if you give her cash, she can decide how she wants to spend it.

I was getting a minimum of $5/hour at the age of 12 in the 80s in a very small town in Texas. I have paid at least $10/hour since I've hired my first babysitter for my own dds. I rounded up and paid more for the sitters that did a good job and I wanted to come back.

What if you are not (able to afford the full rate)? Then, should you not accept her offer?

I don't think anyone is saying that. It seemed like tranquility wanted to pay the young woman in some way.

If you can't afford to pay and someone offers to babysit for free, I think it's fine to accept, but I do think it is a nice gesture to show your appreciation in some way, even if it's just baking her some cookies to take home with her or some other small thing.

Time warp! I was getting $4-7/hour as a young teen in the early 1990s and $10-14 as a nanny in the later part of the 1990s. Here, all but the youngest teens charge $10+. I envy your prices. :)

I'm so old that I remember being paid .75 cents an hour, and $1 an hour was a good rate!   LOL.   Of course, those were the days when it wasn't strange for kids as young as 5th and 6th grade to babysit. Although I think even in high school I only made $1 to $1.50 tops.

Sheesh.  I thought babysitting was expensive when my two were little, and I paid $5 - 7 an hour for the two of them, with maybe a small tip on top of that.  But, we probably paid for a babysitter no more than 5 times between the 2 of them.  I just couldn't stand to spend that kind of money.  I figured at those rates, we could just take 'em out to dinner with us.  We almost never went out on a date or anything unless my mom was up visiting, and I took them to office visits with me unless my DH could come home.

The best deal was when their martial arts class would have a parents night out for about $15 a kid which included a pizza dinner and activities as well as a movie.  I felt better paying that because at least I knew they were doing fun things.

I don't think I would ever pay for a babysitter today.  I just couldn't stomach those rates.  Babysitting has gone up exponentially like college costs.

I'm so old that I remember being paid .75 cents an hour, and $1 an hour was a good rate!   LOL.   Of course, those were the days when it wasn't strange for kids as young as 5th and 6th grade to babysit. Although I think even in high school I only made $1 to $1.50 tops.

I was paid $1/hour in the 80s for babysitting and rarely $1.25/$1.50/hr  Often that was 3-6 kids, cooking supper, bathing, picking up the house, getting them all to bed, etc.

We are foster parents......and obviously NOT for the money, as we get $17.24 per DAY for a child for 24 hours of care.

I understand that children are very valuable but many of you are quoting wages HIGHER than what my husband with a teaching degree is getting for working with special needs kids full time.  Babysitting rates that are about double the minimum wage seems very high for the typical family to be able to afford a sitter.  Maybe that is why the physical therapist I was working with said that her and her dh were going out on their first  date since their just turned 2 daughter was born.

Wow. Those prices sound high to me. Oh, I'm not saying they're wrong: I'm just completely out of the loop and didn't realize those were the going rates. Those prices make sense when I think about it, but I haven't thought about it since 1990 when I last had a babysitting job. (Got $4.50 an hour.)

In 1990 I believe the minimum wage in my area was $4.25 an hour.  So that rate seems pretty good.

I do the same thing.  I think something that happened 20 years ago was just a couple of years ago. 

When I was about 14 I was making over $3 an hour babysitting.  (I'm 40.)  I did live in a high cost area though and I imagine that was even probably considered a bargain for the people I babysat for.

We used a 22 year old babysitter for a few years (this was in 2007 - 2009), and we paid her $12 per hour, plus a tip (we'd have rounded up any extra half hours, etc).  We had one child, who was 3 - 5 yrs old in that time.  Sadly, our babysitter finished her degree and is working crazy hours as a nurse now, so we are out of luck.  We've never found another, but if we did... We'd pay at least the same rates.  Child care is valuable.

I would pay her cash, and just try to get her to accept it.  If she absolutely refuses, you can tell her that you wouldn't feel comfortable asking her to do it again, maybe.  Or, as an alternative, send her a thank you note afterward with a check or a gift card.  Rather than an ice cream shop, though, how about something like an Am Ex gift card that can be spent anywhere, on anything?

Lovely ladies, who are happy to pay girls like my dd what they are worth! (Sarah, Miss P and Mimi) Thank you. I know my dd, at least, takes the job of caring for someone else's babies very seriously. What's more precious than someone's baby ? (Yes, she is is demand :))

Would your DD want to head this way?  She'd be in demand here, too!  :) 

I pay $10 for the first and $2 for every child after, so that's $14/hr for my three. There doesn't seem to be any distinction about age around here, the way I see it each age has it's own difficulties. Also, age of sitter doesn't really matter to me either (as long as they can drive). Some 16 year olds offer way more than some 25 year olds and visa versa, I just find one I like. 

I understand that children are very valuable but many of you are quoting wages HIGHER than what my husband with a teaching degree is getting for working with special needs kids full time.  Babysitting rates that are about double the minimum wage seems very high for the typical family to be able to afford a sitter.  Maybe that is why the physical therapist I was working with said that her and her dh were going out on their first  date since their just turned 2 daughter was born.

I think a big part of it is that it's not a regular gig, and it's hard to find good ones.

I think a big part of it is that it's not a regular gig, and it's hard to find good ones.

I might have to take up babysitting as a gig myself.  I am certified in CPR and first aid, have a degree in education including special education, 30+ years of experience, and I can drive :-)

My dd is not quite 16. We're in a small town in the midwest where pay is notoriously low, but she has never been offered less than $7.00/hour. Now that she has some experience, she charges a minimum of $10/hour unless it is unusual circumstances, like one child that will be asleep the whole time or maybe friends we're trying to help out. She is CPR and first aid certified and is great with kids. They all love her and beg for her, so if she babsits once, she is always asked again.

If someone offers to babysit for free, they usually will not accept cash, she wouldn't, I wouldn't. However, a gift card would probably be accepted. 

I was paid $1/hour in the 80s for babysitting and rarely $1.25/$1.50/hr Often that was 3-6 kids, cooking supper, bathing, picking up the house, getting them all to bed, etc.

We are foster parents......and obviously NOT for the money, as we get $17.24 per DAY for a child for 24 hours of care.

I understand that children are very valuable but many of you are quoting wages HIGHER than what my husband with a teaching degree is getting for working with special needs kids full time. Babysitting rates that are about double the minimum wage seems very high for the typical family to be able to afford a sitter. Maybe that is why the physical therapist I was working with said that her and her dh were going out on their first date since their just turned 2 daughter was born.

Maybe it depends on where you live? I don't know anyone who could get a babysitter for $1 - $1.50 an hour in the '80s. My niece was babysitting back then and she always got at least $50 for an evening of babysitting, and there was no cooking, cleaning, or anything other than watching the kids -- and if they were small children, the parents would often have them in bed before she arrived.

Maybe it depends on where you live? I don't know anyone who could get a babysitter for $1 - $1.50 an hour in the '80s. My niece was babysitting back then and she always got at least $50 for an evening of babysitting, and there was no cooking, cleaning, or anything other than watching the kids -- and if they were small children, the parents would often have them in bed before she arrived.

I am sure it really depends.  I was in a more rural area of West Michigan.

Even in the early 90s I was watching NINE kids.....including a 5 month old and 11 month old twins (one of which was on a heart monitor) for $25 a DAY........and that was for a 24 hour day.........so for the 48 hour period I would get $50.  It was 4 foster teens (one with the 5 month old) and then a 12 year old, 4 year old and the baby twins.  I was WAYYYYY underpaid......but I did it and more than just a few times.

Then you were paid above minimum wage, and most of the amounts being tossed out are roughly equivalent. You're just, y'know, getting old  :laugh:

A friend is doing her a favor - said not to pay, so why should she pay her the same as if she hired someone?

Her friend did not say that; she is just guessing her friend might say that. People often don't insist on payment from friends or friends of the family because it can seem awkward, but I would certainly give her something even if she said no payment. I'd have cash at the ready, and, if she refused it strongly, I'd send her a gift card later. 

My exceptions would be for a close friend with whom I have a strong quid-pro-quo relationship; that is, someone I routinely exchange favors with, and who would be very comfortable asking me for one. I know the OP referred to her as a friend, but I would tend to think of a 22-yr-old in the category of a family friend, and someone who might hesitate to openly ask for payment and/or a favor. 

I was paid $1/hour in the 80s for babysitting and rarely $1.25/$1.50/hr  Often that was 3-6 kids, cooking supper, bathing, picking up the house, getting them all to bed, etc.

Well, all part-time contract jobs generally pay more per hour than a salaried position. We used to have a landscaping job that paid more per hour than dh's management position, but that doesn't mean we were in a hurry to abandon ship and take up full-time landscaping, lol. It was part-time, it was on evenings or weekends, and it had zero benefits (your dh's hourly pay would look a whole lot better if you added in his benefits). 

Babysitting is like anything else: people will charge based on a combination of what the market will bear, how much they need the money, and how much they like the job. I don't think babysitters have any special responsibility to lower their wages so parents can have a night out.