Menu

Vera Bradley: totally out or not?

Janie Grace

Vera Bradley Poll: Out or not?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Are Vera Bradley bags totally out of fashion?

• No, they are still totally cute.
    • Yes, they are out.
    • Older patterns are out but newer patterns are in.
    • They are in if you are over 50.
    • I never liked them, don't ask me.
    • Other.

I'm a bag junkie. I do not care for most Vera Bradley stuff, except diaper bags and backpacks, I still love my pink backpack. However, enough people still have and use them that I don't think you'd look dated by any means. Wear and use what you like, that's always in. :)

I know I can google it, but I have no idea who/what that is.

But given you said they are bags, I don't have a purse so that might be why I have no clue.

Either way if I like something I don't particularly care if anyone thinks that is fashionable or not.  That's the cool thing about getting older.  You are so uncool anyway, you might as well just do what pleases you. 

never been a fan of her...way too busy and "old lady" looking for my tastes. But, I've never really paid attention to styles and what's popular anyway, so I'm not the best person to ask. Funny thing though is that my teen/young adult dds love it, so I guess it's not as "old lady" looking as I thought.

I think this is the way some styles can be. On me, on the down side of 50, something can look old lady, but for my dd in her twenties, it can look "fun" or "cute". My Sil uses a VB tote because she likes it, it is useful, and the construction is good quality. To each her own.

They were definitely "in" for a while. No, not on runways, but there is a difference between being "high fashion" and being in. When practically everyone is buying something, it's in. 

I'm not seeing a lot of people buying new ones, but I still see plenty of people rocking what they got. My fashion major sister still pulls hers out occasionally....

I only ever saw one I liked and just couldn't pull the trigger with the price tag. 

You won't look cutting edge, but you won't look out of date either. :)

I think what's in or out is going to be very regional. It's not as big here as it used to be, but lots of people still use it.

I agree.

In the area we moved from almost 2 years ago, the women or teen girls wouldn't be caught dead with a VB bag. Here, all the girls use them as gym bags for ballet and gymnastics.

I was recently in a very nice gift shop and noticed that their Vera Bradley section is now an entire large Vera Bradley room, so that tells me that people (in my area, at least) are still buying plenty of it. It's also a very popular brand on QVC, and they usually dump brands when their popularity starts to wane.

I have noticed that many of the patterns have gotten much more contemporary than they used to be, and the quality is very good. When I was having shoulder issues, I bought a big set of Vera luggage because it was so lightweight, and I fully expected it to fall apart and fade, but many years (and washings) later, it still looks like brand new.

I think of Vera stuff as being sort of intentionally anti-high-fashion, which may be a big part of what has made it so popular.

I think what's in or out is going to be very regional. It's not as big here as it used to be, but lots of people still use it.

I agree.  I moved to farmtown Florida in 05 and when I left this fall, VB was still very much a hot seller.  Here in the Midwest, I haven't seen a single one.  I don't  care, because I still have a bunch that I used and loved from FL and will continue to use them till they fall apart. :) 

When we lived up north, VB was huge and I was the worst mom in the world for not buying a VB bag for my ballet daughter so she could be just like her friends.  Then we moved to central VA where VB is out.  At least, no one I know and no one my dd knows has a VB bag of any kind.

However.

I do have a small VB purse.....a Disney VB purse.....that travels with me whenever we visit The Mouse.  We were there last week and there were VB Disney bags everywhere, carried by all ages: small child, teen and adult.  So I think it depends on the area.

They are still "in" around here. There is a VB store at the upscale mall; clearly it wouldn't be there if they were out. My DD's backpack, purse, wallet and lanyard are all VB; they are commonly well-liked at her school.

I don't carry a proper purse anymore, so I haven't had any vb purses in a while, but I have a duffle and an iPad case in VB.

i wasn't a fan of them for a long time due to them never having a pattern I liked.  I have had 2 in the last few years.  I used one until the straps fell apart.  I'm not a fan of fashion so I don't really care if they are in or out,  I finally found a bag that has enough pockets and holds all my stuff the way I want.  

VB went "out" a couple of years ago here. It is still popular with old lady quilters (our local quilt shop is the only place to buy them now).

Most teens here are carrying Coach, a few are getting Louis Vitton for big birthdays--16, 18, or 21.

Those on a tight budget but still brand conscious will do $40 Coach wristlets from the outlet store.