Menu

Motel stays with large families (5 kids)

DesertBlossom

I'm trying to book a motel/hotel reservation. I can't seem to even find a way to search for places that will accommodate 7 people. My kids are happy to sleep on the floor in sleeping bags, but the one place I called wouldn't even allow that. I can't find a place that will allow more than 6. And with my kids all being 8 and under, I really don't want to have to get 2 rooms.

Any ideas for finding larger accommodations? Specifically in San Diego.

Thanks!

Every time we ever stayed in a hotel/motel, they forced us to get two rooms.  Occupancy code.   :glare:  That's actually why we rarely travel anywhere (sadly).  We always ask for two adjoining rooms with the door in the middle inside.  We just leave the door open.

I'd try Staybridge Suites, too. They have two-room suites that honestly sleep 8 (two double beds in one room, queen or king in the other, pull-out couch in the living room), plus breakfast daily and dinner Tues-Thurs. They're a bit on the pricey side, but if you're looking at 2 hotel rooms, it's probably similar in price, and definitely a lot better for a family.

We like Staybridge Suites, and will be staying there next week with my parents (though they'll be in a smaller room.)  The 4 youngest kids share the room with double beds, the teenager gets the pull out couch in the living area, and we get the king room.

This time we'll probably have our niece with us, so I'll stick one of the little boys with the teenager and shuffle the rest around for the double room.

We encountered this problem on our summer vacation this year; we just needed a hotel for ONE night...every placed we called to reserve asked number of people and made us take two rooms.  One clerk was sympathetic, but he said that 7 people in one room would be breaking fire/safety/occupancy codes and he legally couldn't book us in one room. 

The hotels that had larger suites were waaaay out of our price range.  We couldn't spend over $115 FOR ONE NIGHT!  

We ended up with two adjoining rooms.  It worked out well, and we did get an eenie-weenie discount. 

This is another example where I don't follow stupid rules. This is just a CYA on the part of the hotel--in no way is this an actual safety issue. I have no guilt about lying (says a lot coming from a cradle Catholic!!).

Honestly, we pay for a suite or lie about the number of kids we are bringing. Ymmv.

I had a "live chat" with one motel and she said if we showed up with more people than we'd paid for they wouldn't give us a room!   I'm okay saying 2 adults and 4 kids, as the "baby" can share a bed with us, but I'm even finding that to be tricky.

This.

Though, do check KOA and other options. We've found cabins at KOAs or another campground more accommodating and often less money.

I hadn't even thought of this and this does look like our cheapest option. It's been so long since we've traveled anywhere and stayed in a motel, and I'm having sticker shock. 

Every time we ever stayed in a hotel/motel, they forced us to get two rooms.  Occupancy code.   :glare:  That's actually why we rarely travel anywhere (sadly).  We always ask for two adjoining rooms with the door in the middle inside.  We just leave the door open.

This would work, if 2 rooms is cheaper than getting a large suite. So.many.options.

I'd try Staybridge Suites, too. They have two-room suites that honestly sleep 8 (two double beds in one room, queen or king in the other, pull-out couch in the living room), plus breakfast daily and dinner Tues-Thurs. They're a bit on the pricey side, but if you're looking at 2 hotel rooms, it's probably similar in price, and definitely a lot better for a family.

I've just done a quick search on their website and they say they don't accommodate more than 5. I will have to call.

We encountered this problem on our summer vacation this year; we just needed a hotel for ONE night...every placed we called to reserve asked number of people and made us take two rooms.  One clerk was sympathetic, but he said that 7 people in one room would be breaking fire/safety/occupancy codes and he legally couldn't book us in one room. 

The hotels that had larger suites were waaaay out of our price range.  We couldn't spend over $115 FOR ONE NIGHT!  

We ended up with two adjoining rooms.  It worked out well, and we did get a eenie-weenie discount. 

Yeah, the couple places I've called were like $150 per night. Which is so much money for just a bed to sleep in! Ouch!

Possibly you can buy one of the 7 night Vacation Certificates on SkyAuction.com and rent a 2 or 3 bedroom Timeshare for 7 nights? I believe the certificates are about USD$230 plus a $20 fee at this time. $250 total for 7 nights is less than USD$40 per night if they have one where you need to be and when you need to be there.

I second the recommendation to call, not book online. We have always gotten one room for our family of 7. I call or we have even just stopped and asked (if we didn't know how far we'd drive in one day). The clerks have always been very accomodating. We really like Days Inn. 

A couple of times while traveling in off season times, we've been upgraded to a suite at no additional charge. 

Also, I usually ask for a roll away crib, which is free.

Edit: we've never paid more than $120, but usually it's around $80ish

This is another example where I don't follow stupid rules. This is just a CYA on the part of the hotel--in no way is this an actual safety issue. I have no guilt about lying (says a lot coming from a cradle Catholic!!).

It is a safety issue as far as the fire codes are concerned.  They say what the maximum occupancy of a place is. It is not the hotel trying to make more money, it is how the laws for places are set up and we have to follow the laws, which is why you can't enter more than a certain number into the computers.  The computers are set up to follow the laws set. 

But I have to tell you, I worked in a very clean hotel, but I would NEVER let my kid sleep on the carpet of that or any hotel.  Just yuck.  I also try not to let him flop down in clean clothes on the bedspreads.  Bedspreads are not changed after every guest unless there is something visible on them.  Other wise they are rotated through laundry service.  You don't want to know what a hotel carpet and bedspread looks like under a blacklamp.  

We are a family of 7, and I've gotten quite good over the years at finding us accommodations!  Honestly, usually we wouldn't even list the number.  Most hotels we stayed at were understanding...  but they had to follow the rules.  They would prefer not to know.  If we didn't actually tell them, then they were usually fine with it, even if they figured it out.  We usually tried to find places with two double or queen beds, plus a sleeper sofa.  We always carried a sleeping bag.

It is a safety issue as far as the fire codes are concerned. They say what the maximum occupancy of a place is. It is not the hotel trying to make more money, it is how the laws for places are set up and we have to follow the laws, which is why you can't enter more than a certain number into the computers. The computers are set up to follow the laws set.

But I have to tell you, I worked in a very clean hotel, but I would NEVER let my kid sleep on the carpet of that or any hotel. Just yuck. I also try not to let him flop down in clean clothes on the bedspreads. Bedspreads are not changed after every guest unless there is something visible on them. Other wise they are rotated through laundry service. You don't want to know what a hotel carpet and bedspread looks like under a blacklamp.

Yes, I understand fire codes. But, having all my children in one hotel room is much safer than having them in two. Like I said, I just lie with no guilt. Or spring for a suite (which is what we mostly do now that the kids are older).

If you are going for more than one night, I would check vrbo.com . When we went to Williamsburg, for instance, a condo with 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, living room, kitchen, washer/dryer was the same price as a decent hotel room. You can save a lot of money on food if you can cook instead of eating out.

airbnb is another option.

Try Marriot Residence Inns. They have two bedroom suites that should accommodate that many. They also have kitchens in them and a pretty good breakfast. I have no recollection of what price we paid though. I stayed there a long time ago when we needed more space and a kitchen. It seemed reasonable at the time.

sometimes a family suite - they will not show up under regular rooms.  we've stayed in family suites with six people from motel six - to seven at residence inn.  (my preference as they serve a real breakfast.)  they also tended to have kitchens - so we saved a bundle on dining.

You could do as one blogger that I read did:  Call the local fire department and ask what the local fire code actually is in regard to hotel rooms.  When she did this, she found that the hotel in question was wrong about their stated fire code; the fire chief even called the hotel and told them this.  When the hotel personnel researched it with the corporate office, they learned that the corporate office had a different policy -- one that allowed them to get all their children in one room.  I've read something similar to this in more than one place:  That "fire code" is often wrongly assumed to be required (much like prohibiting barefoot patrons from entering stores and restaurants, but that's another thread for another day!).  It will depend on the location.  It's not like there's a national fire code that all hotels must abide by, as far as I can tell. 

I'll second airbnb.com. We have had great experiences in multiple states. I just did a super-quick search (so won't swear for my accuracy) for San Diego and saw one for $80 a night that will sleep nine, renters get a whole floor to themselves, and the house has an outdoor spa that guests can use. Also, we love that we can use the kitchen with airbnb rentals which saves money and is relaxing after a busy day of vacation.

We have booked through airbnb in rural Nebraska, Chicago, Milwaukee and Evergreen, Colo. We have met some great people traveling this way.

Try Marriot Residence Inns. They have two bedroom suites that should accommodate that many. They also have kitchens in them and a pretty good breakfast. I have no recollection of what price we paid though. I stayed there a long time ago when we needed more space and a kitchen. It seemed reasonable at the time.

I'd go this route. We stayed in one for several months once. Once you feed 7 people from their complimentary breakfast bar, and use the kitchen for any other cooking you might need, you'll probably make up the price difference between a suite and a regular hotel room. Sometimes they have appetizers in the evening.

This.

Though, do check KOA and other options. We've found cabins at KOAs or another campground more accommodating and often less money.

This sounds like a good idea if it's not too cold at night. Though do check -- some might have insulated cabins.

Have you checked with Holiday Inn Express? My BIL and SIL were recently able to get a hotel room that slept 8 -- 4 queen beds -- and allowed the addition of the crib for the baby, as well.

Fire codes are the driving force behind the occupancy limits, so if the hotel won't budge on that figure they have good reason -- violations can shut them down, and also increases the danger if there is an emergency. I strongly recommend not violating the occupancy limits.

Don't forget Marriot Springhill Suites.  Many of their rooms have queen beds with pull-out sofas. It is really easy to put three people in a queen bed.

As far as fire codes, I believe these are by state.  But, if you call the hotel directly, sometimes they won't ask how many children, and then you can stay with 7 in a room.

When we traveled two adults, four kids, the only rooms that we could get were suites. Holiday Inn was our usual choice. The suites we typically got had two queens or a queen and a double plus a sofabed, microwave, and refrigerator. It wasn't cheap, however it usually was a less expensive than two separate rooms.

Most of this has to do with fire codes. I've talked to many a motel manager whose personal preference would be to not discourage traveling families or split them up, but the maximum number of individuals per room is set by the municipality not by corporate or management. This makes some states much more difficult to travel through than others as a few have a fire code max of four persons per standard size room.

Your kids are still young enough, but when we traveled once with 3 boys and 3 girls we got 2 rooms (4 beds) and we all slept 2 to a bed and that way the girls and I were in one room and the guys and dad in another. It was cheap enough. What I didn't like was the bedspread being the only blanket and it was too light and the desk people were weird about giving us more blankets. This was in Tennessee.