Menu

How would you introduce a child to Star Trek?

Kathryn

I think DS9 would enjoy Star Trek, but I'm not sure how to go about the introductions. I grew up on the original movies (I never cared much for the original show) and then TNG. I watched DS9 and Voyager for a bit. I'm not sure what else there is or what's worth watching or in which order to go. WWYD?

Personally, I would start with TNG. Picard is a good role model. My son didn't like those as much as DS9, he's not a huge fan of the original series. I think he's seen every modern episode though. He would watch on marathons with other family too. 

If you want to start with a theme, they have sets like the Borg collection. 

well - I grew up with the original series in original airing.  now that I can watch any and all on demand - though it does have a few good scripts, tng just really isn't as good.  (I came to that conclusion after going through ep lists for both series - and there weren't very many from tng I'd recommend.)

Our children haven't watched all of Star Trek, but the first episodes they watched were TNG. They've also seen some DS9. Honestly, as much as I love Star Trek, I don't love TOS, so I wouldn't make them watch that first, although the movies are OK. I think just start with whatever is your favorite, and move on from there.

My DH suggests Doomsday Machine episode or Trouble with Tribbles.

I'll add:

I, Mudd

A piece of the action

two of my all time favorites are

errand of mercy

return to tomorrow

they might be a bit over a child's head.

if you want to show a child *anything* to do with Khan Singh - you *really* need to show them "space seed".

My Dh used to get up early in the morning to have his cup of coffee and veg on the couch watching a Star Trek episode.  When Dd was 2 she started wandering out the the living room and he'd make her a cup of hot cocoa and they'd cuddle and watch it together.  So Star Trek has always been a "thing" in our house.  We don't really introduce the kids to it because it's just there.  

All the different series have different story lines so you could start any of them in any order and they'd all make sense.  I guess there's a pervasive story arch through the whole Star Trek universe, but you're not going to miss anything watching them "out of order."

We started with the originals, but skipped a few of the more violent or racy episodes. We have just kept watching new series and are now on to Voyager. We hardly had to skip any of the Next Generation series. My husband watched the originals with us but does not like any of the newer ones.

We also love the tribbles! My daughter made tribbles for herself, her brother, and a few friends who also like Star Trek. (And even a few non-Trekkie friends new who thought they were cute.) She made them more oval than perfectly round because it was easier, she was a bit younger when we started watching.

Having watched Star Trek from the very beginning with Captain Kirk, I would start there. I would probably skip DS9; I've tried to like it, but I'm not feeling the love, lol.

I watched TNG, thinking that I would never love it as much as I had ST, but turns out I love it more...which doesn't negate the necessity of watching the first series (which isn't necessarily the "original," as TNG wasn't a remake, KWIM?). And Voyager, and then Enterprise, which wasn't nearly as good as I had hoped it would be, but it's still part of the whole thing.

I'd want to start with TOS.  Because William Shatner & Leonard Nimoy & Nichelle Nichols & George Takei. 
Because it broke a lot of ground & because TOS is really quite funny & silly & not scary. It's hard to be scared of monsters that look like something you might make in your SOTW activity guide out of paper mache & plasticine.

Also you need the tribbles episode.

If I were really having to start from scratch I might check out one of the fan 'best lists' & work from that.

City on the Edge of  Forever, Mirror Mirror, Balance of Terror, Space Seed, Journey to Babel  would def top my list.

Then I'd move to TNG.  I'd also spend an evening with the 2 new movies with Chris Pine & Zachary Quinto. Then go back for more TNG & DS9. 

Then they'd be hooked & my job would be done.

In my family we watch tv while we eat dinner. The first night we'll watch an original Trek. The next night, TNG. The next night, DS9, the next night Voyager, the next night Enterprise. Then, back to the original Trek again.

We stopped on TNG for a while, but after a few weeks we got bored of the same characters and started our rotation again.

I'm afraid to introduce my children do these. I am hoping they just find it on the shelves or the Internet and never realize I was into it. I don't know that my kids would love something I loved. They think we were total nerds. My sister and I watched on late night TV... I guess I was hoping my kids would find references to it, Google it on YouTube, and somehow learn to enjoy it.

Otherwise they'll just think it's something stupid mom likes.

DH and I are Trekkies-- we grew up watching the original series...  TNG started right after we were married (gave us a reason to purchase our first color TV!).

Our older girls were toddlers when they started watching TNG and DS9 with us.

I clearly remember one day while out shopping that middle dd (then 3.5 yrs and a big people-watcher) started crying--when I asked her why she said (in between tears)-- "Ferengies aren't real are they?"  No, I relplied (holding back my laughter and relief that nothing REAL was wrong with her)... I was not prepared for her to start bawling even louder--"But that means Klingons aren't real either"... oh the misery in her little voice!

We introduced youngest dd to TNG first-- then went back and tried to show her some of the original episodes  (she could not stand them!)--she watched Voyger and Enterprise too.  She did not like DS9 (too mature for her).

We just jumped in with Next Gen episodes with DSs, when they were right about that age (seasons 1 and 2 are a LOT slower and clunkier than I remembered back when they were being aired in the '90s  :ohmy: -- but, I don't think DSs noticed)… But season 3 picks up and the series really flows well from then on out. We watched into the first few seasons of Deep Space Nine before DSs were done with the Star Trek world.

I think we occasionally threw in an original series episode every so often just for fun. Along with "Trouble with Tribbles" -- of course! -- don't forget "Space Seed" (introduces Khan, as set up for movie #2), "Amok Time" (Spock's pon farr), and "The Enterprise Incident" (Romulans and cloaking device).

A few more original series episodes that kids just starting off might enjoy:

"The Corbomite Maneuver" (ping pong ball ship and Kirk's bluff)

"Journey to Babel" (Kirk juggling a shipful or irritable ambassadors, an assassin, and Spock's father having a heart attack)

"Who Mourns for Adonis" (okay, this is for all the classical education kids ;))

"I, Mudd" (silly fun)

Happy Trekking!  :laugh:  Warmest regards, Lori D.

TNG is really  good but the first episodes are pretty weak in my opinion but I think it's a good place to start. DS9 is good but I think it's better if you've watched quite a lot of Star Trek generally. Voyager is generally bad with good cast and some good episodes but I think it needs watching. Enterprise is really good but I think it's a bit more grown up. I really like all the films. 

My daughter was introduced by watching select episodes from the original series.  She went on to read my collection of favorite spin-off novels from that series (see, fan fiction is not a new thing!)  Now she watches the new movies as they are released.

Anyone else have favorite Star Trek novels whose titles they'd care to share?

Regards,

Kareni

My daughter was introduced by watching select episodes from the original series. She went on to read my collection of favorite spin-off novels from that series (see, fan fiction is not a new thing!) Now she watches the new movies as they are released.

Regards,

Kareni

Sondra marshak and myrna culbreth

Price of the Phoenix and fate of the Phoenix

Sondra marshak and myrna culbreth

Price of the Phoenix and fate of the Phoenix

Thanks for the two titles, Kristen.  I looked them up and am uncertain as to whether I read them in the past.  I'll be on the lookout for them.

My favorite original series novels include:

Yesterday's Son and Time for Yesterday both by A.C. Crispin,

Uhura's Song by Janet Kagan,

Ishmael by Barbara Hambly,

The Kobayashi Maru by Julia Ecklar,

and Doctor's Orders by Diane Duane.

Regards,

Kareni

Why can there not be a consensus?!? I'm leaning towards starting with TNG and telling him about TOS if he's interested.

You're expecting a consensus on THIS board?  People remark when there is a consensus, so I wouldn't naturally expect it!  :lol:

I would definitely start with the original series. I'd go nearly in order, too.

I think you have to appreciate Kirk in order to appreciate the other captains, and you certainly won't get the references to the other characters if you don't have some foundational exposure.

And Spock...and McCoy...you just HAVE to let them watch the originals!! More than half the fun of the series is the relationships between the characters. How can you know all the ins and outs if you don't let it build?

I grew up on them--and so did dh, so I'm biased.

I still laugh about the time I went over to dh's house when we were newly dating. The 6 kids were watching TV, and Star Trek came on and within, oh, maybe 10 seconds, they knew what episode it was. Knew he was the guy for me...

My daughter was introduced by watching select episodes from the original series.  She went on to read my collection of favorite spin-off novels from that series (see, fan fiction is not a new thing!)  Now she watches the new movies as they are released.

Regards,

Kareni

My favorite Star Trek novel is 'The Pandora Principle'. It's the story of Saavik with lots of Spock as mentor.