Menu

Personal Question for moms of girls re training bOOkshelves

Ameena

File this under potentially embarrassing mom questions that I don't have anywhere else to ask lol. I think bOOkhelves is the board term if I recall correctly, but if not feel free to correct me.

DD just turned 8 two months ago, and starting to "bud" pretty rapidly on the top. She already has filled out in the booty department about a year ago. In the last month or so the buds have become noticeable if she wears a snugger top or at the right angle from the side in anything but a loose / thick top. I have noticed the boys she plays basketball with from time to time noticing it, so it's apparent. Given my family history, she is probably going to develop fairly quickly and at an early age.

The issue is - she detests the idea of wearing training bOOkshelves. I bought her 3 for starters, and she won't touch them with a 10ft pole, even though we made a special trip & she helped pick them {based on color only - she refused to comment as to fit / styles}. I know some folks just layer camis at this age, but most of the year her normal top is just a cami due to heat so I don't want her to make doing that a habit. Her two friends that are girls both wear them, so it's not a early development issue {I don't think}. We've read Care & Keeping of You, so she understands what is going on {I think}. She is a mild Aspie & very stubborn when she sets her mind to something - and she's pretty much set her mind to not wearing them.

WWYD? I hate to force her to wear them, but she is going to have to start wearing them pretty quickly for modesty reasons. I also don't want her to be like me {my mom never bought me trainers, and when I started needing a real one it was a huge adjustment}. She also hates the idea of growing up, so anything that make her seem to be moving towards that is out. I'm at my wits end, and every time I bring up the matter with her she ends up either furious or in tears. I've even tried bribes :(

I wish I had some advice. I'm just hitting this spot too with my dd. I did have a friend tell me to look at getting her these. Her dd is pretty sensitive with her clothing. Doesn't like seams, tags, squeezing bands. I guess that these were a little more of a comfortable beginning for her.

I'm hoping she's right, so I thought I'd pass it on.

Ameena? IIRC, you have a background that shapes issues of sexuality and development in ways that make it difficult to "see" situations in a healthy, normative, way. Forgive me if you are not the poster I am thinking of; my brain does not work as well as it used to.

Nonetheless, there is room here to back up and relax. Even if "boys" are looking at your dd, there is nothing wrong with that. It is normal behavior.

Wearing a bra is culturally normal, not a biological imperative. The term training is a bit of a misnomer. There is nothing in reality at just turned 8 that this should be a big issue. I encourage you to take a step back and let her need to be an 8 year old girl "win". There is nothing at risk or wrong with that.

I wouldn't worry too much about it right now, though I do understand modesty issues to a degree.  My girls LOVE bras, though the older (who had more of a "need" of sorts) just wasn't always in the mood to wear them.  That's fine.  But I did point out which tops she owned that she could only wear out if she chose to wear something underneath.  She could put a bra under to go out, our she could change into a different top. Her choice.  But I made sure she did have tops that didn't emphasize her changing shape.

Ameena? IIRC, you have a background that shapes issues of sexuality and development in ways that make it difficult to "see" situations in a healthy, normative, way. Forgive me if you are not the poster I am thinking of; my brain does not work as well as it used to.

Nonetheless, there is room here to back up and relax. Even if "boys" are looking at your dd, there is nothing wrong with that. It is normal behavior.

Wearing a bra is culturally normal, not a biological imperative. The term training is a bit of a misnomer. There is nothing in reality at just turned 8 that this should be a big issue. I encourage you to take a step back and let her need to be an 8 year old girl "win". There is nothing at risk or wrong with that.

Totally agree...

What about the kind of camis that have a built-in "bra?" They are basically a half-layer that doubles the top thickness. Still cool and comfy, but with a teeny amount of extra "support"/coverage.

I kinda understand her "growing up" thing--it's not time yet, and she knows that. If you make growing up all about covering and being uncomfortable with her body, that's not going to be good. It seems she's got that idea.

So maybe you could cull the thinnest and tightest clothes from her wardrobe for now, get some doubled camis, and then just let it go. Of course, you may not be able to find them in her size.

Dd came to ME and told me herself when she felt she needed a bra. We used sports bras for a while. 5th grade is different than second grade, though.

My dd started wearing camisoles with a double layered bust at that age. I wouldn't worry overly, just turned 8 is really little to have to worry about bras, let her be little and playful, so long as she is covered and not wearing something see through, she's fine. My dd happily wears lightly padded "training" bras now, but she has matured so much emotionally and physically she is ready for them (she's 10).

Actually, I think you do have me confused with another poster. I made the comment about the boys looking at dd because it made HER uncomfortable honestly - she asked me why the 11yo boy she plays with kept looking at her the other day when she was wearing tight jeans & a tank top.

I get that wearing a bra for most is a cultural norm. Nevertheless, it is the norm here especially for more developed girls. If my dd is like me {and I suspect she is}, we have about a year at most until she is a C cup. So fast forward a year - 9, a B/C cup, and still not wanting to wear one. WWYD then? I am trying to prevent what happened to me at age 10 when my mom finally took me to buy one against my will. I was a D cup and really should have had one earlier but I like my dd wasn't one to talk to my mom about private things at that age.

What about the kind of camis that have a built-in "bra?" They are basically a half-layer that doubles the top thickness. Still cool and comfy, but with a teeny amount of extra "support"/coverage.

I kinda understand her "growing up" thing--it's not time yet, and she knows that. If you make growing up all about covering and being uncomfortable with her body, that's not going to be good. It seems she's got that idea.

So maybe you could cull the thinnest and tightest clothes from her wardrobe for now, get some doubled camis, and then just let it go. Of course, you may not be able to find them in her size.

Dd came to ME and told me herself when she felt she needed a bra. We used sports bras for a while. 5th grade is different than second grade, though.

Where would I find doubled camis? She wears a size 8/10 girls depending on the fit fwiw. We normally thrift shop for clothing so I honestly have no idea where to find them. I know Walmart here doesn't have any as I looked.

I'm not making it at all about covering up everything. But on the other hand I am trying to preserve her natural sense of modesty while dealing with a rapidly blossoming body.

DD is not the type to come to me about anything private, honestly. She never has been, even as a baby. I'm okay with that - she just is intensely private about herself. If I have a concern or want to know what is going on, I read her diary.

Justice, a store my dd would NEVER walk into otherwise, had the best collection of undergear for young crowd. Not intrusive. Soft. Mostly appropriate (though I will say the store in general can be questionable). Highly recommend there.

When it became obvious I required a bra. It's part of life (here in middle America, anyway). My parents didn't require it, and I remember being teased about it. Kids can be mean. I agreed with dd - it's a ripoff that girls have 2 underwears, but that's life. We commiserate. But we're wearers. :-)

What about a sports bra instead of a trainer bra?  If your daughter is sporty/tomboy (like I was), she might just not like the idea of wearing such a girly thing.  A sports bra might be a solution for now. 

But I agree with PP- if she isn't yet an A cup, just leave her alone.  As an adult A/B cup, I routinely don't wear a bra if I have two layers of top on. 

You can also look for camis with built-in "shelf" bras, that are not separete pieces of clothing. 

I don't think anyone requires a bra. If your daughter has breast buds, and will have breasts -- I think the best thing to teach her is this: she, like anyone, has the perfect freedom to smooth/re-shape them with an undergarment; or to wear them naturally. Neither choice is more "modest" than the other one.

Yes, the males in her world are going to notice that her breasts are new to her, different from themselves, similar to grown women, and (eventually) intersting and appealing. This effect will occur whether she "shelves" them or not, but "shelving" might have a slight effect on when and where they are most noticeable.

If she wants to knows why boys are looking, it might be nothing more than noticing she looks different (similar to a new haircut), or it might be sensual interest, or it might be them wondering how old she is. Both responses are perfectly normal, and nothing for you, her, or the boys to worry about.

If *she* wants to use a bookshelf for management purposes, that's well and good. If she does not, I advise you to work really hard on being fine with that and never mentioning it again. Even if she's a C. It's her body. It's not healthy for one's mother to insist on how her books' shape must be modified for public viewing. Their natural shape is just fine.

However, I would definitely make sure she had plenty if shelving options to pick from, including the best quality, most soft, and ranging from most girly-and-figure-emphasizing, to least girly bud-flattening.

I would buy them in a low key way, keep new options coming, and never mention it again. Is important that she can change her choices/pattern without anyone seeming to notice.

Justice's so soft collection is great. Their unders and knit waist jeans balanced my fear of neon to make me go in that store. ;)

Target and Kohls have camis. Justice does too. Even one of the ribbed tank tops layered under a tee shirt will change the look for now, though not with a C cup. That's a pill for a 9 year old! Would you be able to get her to wear one once and see how she likes it? Somehow trying something once seems less scary sometimes.

I agree with those who say let her be mentally 8 for awhile. If she's just budding, she has some time, and if you push hard on this now, you risk setting it up as a power struggle with her AND creating a negative association with her development. Forget what other people think and let her adjust to the idea of her changing body. 8 is so very young to start having to deal with those kinds of societal expectations. 

Now, that said, if and when she's ready, these were the only kind of bras that my sensory-sensitive oldest would wear, and we tried lots. 

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/tucker-tate-seamless-bralette-big-girls/3450568

Lots of places sell camis with shelf bras--I know Old Navy does. You just have to google for them. That might be a perfect solution for the interim, although frankly, sometimes the band is so tight that it makes the bra underneath even more noticeable. Those are annoying  :glare:

ETA: A quick search turned up these:

http://www.shopjustice.com/girls-clothing/strappy-cami/3010770

http://www.aeropostale.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4097885

http://www.kmart.com/hanes-girl-s-knit-camisole/p-049VA52967712P

HTH!

Just some thoughts...

Well, for now, you could remove all tight tops from her wardrobe.  I did that for my dd for a year or two.

Then maybe you could buy several styles of bookshelves (sports bras from target or walmart are great, as are jockey brand "crop tops" which you can get online or from Kohls) and strew them in her room or something.

Another idea is that you could require tank tops under all shirts that are clingy.  That would probably work for a little while.  

I guess you (mom) could go around bra-less (but not shirt-less obviously) around the house, and she could see what that was like.  Then explain the parallel situation.

((Hugs))  

Target has the double-layer / shelf camis in smaller sizes. Sometimes they have all the colors with both lined and unlined options, and sometimes they're split by color. My DD likes to size up in the shelf style, though, because the elastic at the bottom in snug.

When she was interested, we tried on just about every option at a handful of stores, and Target had the selection she liked best. It's one of the Hanes styles she prefers at the moment.

Actually, I think you do have me confused with another poster. I made the comment about the boys looking at dd because it made HER uncomfortable honestly - she asked me why the 11yo boy she plays with kept looking at her the other day when she was wearing tight jeans & a tank top.

I get that wearing a bra for most is a cultural norm. Nevertheless, it is the norm here especially for more developed girls. If my dd is like me {and I suspect she is}, we have about a year at most until she is a C cup. So fast forward a year - 9, a B/C cup, and still not wanting to wear one. WWYD then? I am trying to prevent what happened to me at age 10 when my mom finally took me to buy one against my will. I was a D cup and really should have had one earlier but I like my dd wasn't one to talk to my mom about private things at that age.

Where would I find doubled camis? She wears a size 8/10 girls depending on the fit fwiw. We normally thrift shop for clothing so I honestly have no idea where to find them. I know Walmart here doesn't have any as I looked.

I'm not making it at all about covering up everything. But on the other hand I am trying to preserve her natural sense of modesty while dealing with a rapidly blossoming body.

DD is not the type to come to me about anything private, honestly. She never has been, even as a baby. I'm okay with that - she just is intensely private about herself. If I have a concern or want to know what is going on, I read her diary.

Our Goodwill has a ton. Walmart Jrs has them. Kohl's often has sales. My dad 16 ( and a b/c?) wears only these or a sports bra.

Just some thoughts...

Well, for now, you could remove all tight tops from her wardrobe. I did that for my dd for a year or two.

Then maybe you could buy several styles of bookshelves (sports bras from target or walmart are great, as are jockey brand "crop tops" which you can get online or from Kohls) and strew them in her room or something.

Another idea is that you could require tank tops under all shirts that are clingy. That would probably work for a little while.

I guess you (mom) could go around bra-less (but not shirt-less obviously) around the house, and she could see what that was like. Then explain the parallel situation.

((Hugs))

Oops, we are supposed to wear them at home? Mine comes off before my shoes.

File this under potentially embarrassing mom questions that I don't have anywhere else to ask lol. I think bOOkhelves is the board term if I recall correctly, but if not feel free to correct me.

DD just turned 8 two months ago, and starting to "bud" pretty rapidly on the top. She already has filled out in the booty department about a year ago. In the last month or so the buds have become noticeable if she wears a snugger top or at the right angle from the side in anything but a loose / thick top. I have noticed the boys she plays basketball with from time to time noticing it, so it's apparent. Given my family history, she is probably going to develop fairly quickly and at an early age.

The issue is - she detests the idea of wearing training bOOkshelves. I bought her 3 for starters, and she won't touch them with a 10ft pole, even though we made a special trip & she helped pick them {based on color only - she refused to comment as to fit / styles}. I know some folks just layer camis at this age, but most of the year her normal top is just a cami due to heat so I don't want her to make doing that a habit. Her two friends that are girls both wear them, so it's not a early development issue {I don't think}. We've read Care & Keeping of You, so she understands what is going on {I think}. She is a mild Aspie & very stubborn when she sets her mind to something - and she's pretty much set her mind to not wearing them.

WWYD? I hate to force her to wear them, but she is going to have to start wearing them pretty quickly for modesty reasons. I also don't want her to be like me {my mom never bought me trainers, and when I started needing a real one it was a huge adjustment}. She also hates the idea of growing up, so anything that make her seem to be moving towards that is out. I'm at my wits end, and every time I bring up the matter with her she ends up either furious or in tears. I've even tried bribes :(

Since you asked WWYD, I'd have to say that I'd not force my daughter to wear a "training" shelf just because she has beginning buds.  You've used some strong words -- detest, force, furious -- if these are accurate, then you're daughter isn't ready for this next phase.  It's okay to not be in a hurry to grow up.   Now you did mention she was uncomfortable with the boy's glances, so use this as a starting point in your discussion. Is she uncomfortable enough to want to change her wardrobe?  Does she need a safe place to talk to mom about it?  Does she want to learn how to tell him to "knock it off" or would she like the moms to handle it?  All of these things let her know that mom is on her side and willing to be there for her.  You've got a lifetime ahead with your dd so now's the time to build your relationship so that when the major things hit her, you can be there on her side. 

Best wishes as you find your path.

Edited by Artichoke

Justice has double camis in her size.  If it really bothers you, you could cut her a deal and tell her she needs a sports bra with thin tops, but with thicker ones, you'll let it go.

Since you asked WWYD, I'd have to say that I'd not force my daughter to wear a "training" shelf just because she has beginning buds.  You've used some strong words -- detest, force, furious -- if these are accurate, then you're daughter isn't ready for this next phase.  It's okay to not be in a hurry to grow up.   Now you did mention she was uncomfortable with the boy's glances, so use this as a starting point in your discussion. Is she uncomfortable enough to want to change her wardrobe?  Does she need a safe place to talk to mom about it?  Does she want to learn how to tell him to "knock it off" or would she like the moms to handle it?  All of these things let her know that mom is on her side and willing to be there for her.  You've got a lifetime ahead with your dd so now's the time to build your relationship so that when the major things hit her, you can be there on her side. 

After having three boys and then a daughter, I totally had no idea how to raise a girl.  My dear mil only has boys and my mom isn't interested in family relationships so they weren't the help that I needed.  I was so desperate that I began to look at the families we were around and notice which moms had great relationships with their daughters and  seemed to have the same beliefs that we did.  I found several of these moms and approached them about being someone I could talk to.  Two of them were willing and still help me along occasionally in our journey.   It's been about nine years now, and these ladies have  been such a blessing to us.

As an aside, you might want to take a look at your daughter's early development.  I'm not sure how much her "booty" has developed, but if it was a year ago, then we're talking about development in a six or seven year old.  If you're seeing puberty type development, then a talk to your pediatrician is probably in order.

Best wishes as you find your path.

She isn't willing to change her wardrobe - she pretty much wears whatever she likes that covers & is comfy lol. The brighter the color & the more sparkly it is, the better. She isn't uncomfortable with the looks per say - just she didn't understand the WHY behind it & the lack of knowing made her uncomfortable. After I explained, she was okay with it. I should probably mention that this is the first boy she has ever been anything close to friends with, and it's on account of him being the cousin of her 2 best friends. She still is very much at the boys are icky / bullies stage with the exception of this one who is "just another kid" according to her. Her logic - not mine. I think it helps that her friend still looks like he is about 8 even if he is 11.

I have been concerned with her early development lately. The booty development was surprising, but tolerable with the exception of I'm getting comments on occasion from moms about have I considered DD becoming a model or acting {apparently she has the build for it, according to a local mom who does child modeling}. I discussed her development with her Dr at her last checkup, but he wasn't overly concerned given the family history of early puberty, and apparently 8 while on the early side is still considered normal. He did say that had it not been for the family history of early development, he might have considered suppressing it hormonally, but I am not comfortable with the possible side effects of that either :(

Its a wonderful idea to find some local moms to help with the knowledge. Unfortunately in 4 years of homeschooling & 8 years of being a single mom, I've yet to find any kindred spirits with the same or similar mindsets. Most of the local homeschoolers here that I've met are much more religious / puritian in thinking than myself. We are much more relaxed.

I wouldn't force it. Oldest, 14, ended up layering shirts and tanks/camis instead of wearing a bra. She finally started wearing one at 13. Youngest is 12 and is doing the layering and tanks/camis thing as well right now. I buy her different undergarments, including bras, but it's her decision. They both look fine however they choose and they've never been teased.

Ameena, I'm kinda feeling like I might not be sharing the same cultural assumptions as you, so I want to tread carefully. Body issues are so sensitive. Are you really sure that your reactions are... in proportion to what's really happening? It seems like there is some other-but-connected issue that's worrying you?

Obviously, your dd is 8. She's had growth spurts before. She's hit developmental milestones before. She's lost her baby teeth. She's grown out of shoes.

Buying new clothes and underwear for her isn't new territory for you. Telling her that certain items of clothing no longer fit, and she can't keep them... You have to have done that, like, 20 times by now, right?

I get that you need info about getting good bras, since that is new territory... But I wonder if you can try to explain what this all *means* to you.

Why do you say that she got a "booty" last year? Is that different from growing and needing the next size of clothing? Is it a normal word (booty) for 'anybody's backside' in your area? Or does it mean something (shape, size, sensuality) like it does in my area?

Is there a reason you don't feel ok with just telling her that certain of her tops are too small for her, and taking them away, and only buying ones that fit well with buds to replace them? (I don't think I've ever given my kids a say in that, or favorite items would be squeezed into until they cut off circulation!)

This really seems to be something more than "growing kids need new clothes" in your thought processes -- do you think so too? If so, do you have any idea what the side-baggage might be, or where it could have come from?

I would not worry about this at all for an 8yo. As others have stated, sports bras are a good starter bra when the time comes. My dds started wearing them around age 10 I think. Maybe 11.

And...with or without a bra, other people are going to notice that girls and women have books. Unless you are wearing a heavy winter coat or something extremely loose, etc., you will have a shape. It's just part of life.

I am a little surprised at the age of 8 a girl is developing this rapidly.

Eight is now within the normal range in America, although eight-and-two-months is definitely on the younger end. Some ethnic groups have earlier average ages of puberty than others.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/11/04/us-girls-puberty-idUSBRE9A304D20131104

However, if she's reacting this strongly to the suggestion that she wear another undergarment, it might be wise to talk to the doctor about delaying puberty. Nothing might come of that, but it won't do any harm to just ask.

I got a bunch of camis with shelves for DD at target.

It was a sad sad day when DD outgrew the last sizes of Justice bookshelves.  She's worn both their sporty styles and regular ones and loved them all.  Now I have to choke down much bigger price tags and she is still growing.  Pretty soon I will be getting her hand me downs.