Menu

Inspire me--what are you having for dinner??

Moxie

I was planning on making white chicken chili but my toddler has been running a fever since yesterday and this morning I woke with the beginnings of the cold my older kids had so I switched it to chicken noodle soup since I suspect by tomorrow I will not be wanting to cook at all.

Oven baked ham, homemade rolls, and broccoli.  I may also make mashed potatoes, but I am not in the mood to peel them at the moment.  I hate peeling potatoes.

Do you ever make them w/the skins on?  We like them mashed that way.  Hooray for no peeling!   :hurray:

I think we'll have bacon, eggs, and sausage for supper.  

Popcorn

Maybe a Pizza.

I have to get to a meeting.

Before we had kids, my favorite dinner was Popcorn Dinner.  Eaten in a movie theater.   :lurk5:

Alas, with kids to feed we don't do it anymore.

We are having roasted broccoli, ham and black beans.  I guess it's time to get off the computer and go finish it up.  

I hate peeling potatoes.

I don't peel anything.  We at the peelings on most everything excepts carrots and I make DD peel those.  But seriously, I don't remember the last time I peeled a potato, at least 20 years now.  I just chop the potato a little smaller so the peel pieces aren't too big mixed in.  I prefer red or yukon golds but this will work with russets too.

I don't peel anything.  We at the peelings on most everything excepts carrots and I make DD peel those.  But seriously, I don't remember the last time I peeled a potato, at least 20 years now.  I just chop the potato a little smaller so the peel pieces aren't too big mixed in.  I prefer red or yukon golds but this will work with russets too.

I would make them with the peels but the kids won't eat them.  My middle son has sensory issues and potato peel are a texture aversion for him.  I personally love new potatoes with skins on roasted or boiled and served with butter.

Chicken alfredo penne with spinach and artichokes. It's so unhealthy so I don't make it very often. :)

Last night we had chicken enchiladas. http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2013/06/avocado-chicken-enchiladas-recipe.html

I love that recipe. I use a bit more cheese though and sometimes I double the sauce (because I like it saucy) and if you don't like avocado, it's just as good without. :)

Last night we had spaghetti with meat sauce and garlic roasted broccoli. This evening, I was in a webinar from 5-6, prime time for cooking dinner and my hands were full of my crochet (younger son needs a HP scarf for Halloween) so I wasn't able to webinar and cook at the same time. So I rounded up the boys and headed to a local hamburger joint. We brought take out back to dad since he was heavy into his studies.

That makes tomorrow night the aloo gobi and vegetable curry I was going to cook tonight.

Who the frack schedules webinars for 5PM?!

If you are in soup weather, make a large pot of soup. Unless you are vegetarians, throw in everything including meat - and voila - dinner.

If this does not appeal, my go to is always baked chicken with a bit of tamari sauce and honey basted on, combined with plain rice or fried rice. Fall vegetables bake nicely along with the chicken - not necessarily in the same dish. Beets, Rutabaga, Carrots, celery root...

Someone pm'd me and asked me to share the lasagna soup recipe, which I'm happy to do, but just fair warning: When I cook, I often look at several recipes, combine elements, and then change stuff. I don't measure. Due to medical reasons, we are very careful with salt consumption, so I avoid salt added to products and put in my own to taste. (much less salt that way.)

Lasagna soup (based on Paula Deen's and Bobby Deen's recipes)

1 box unsalted chicken stock

1 can unsalted tomato sauce

1 can unsalted diced tomatoes

1 pound ground meat (could use beef, sausage or turkey. I used turkey)

1 large onion, diced

3-5 cloves of garlic minced (we like garlic!)

Optional: chopped mushrooms, chopped frozen spinach, green or red pepper

Salt, basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes to taste. I used about 1/2 tsp or so of oregano and basil, about 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes.

Lasagna noodles 4-6  I used whole wheat and they worked fine

Mozarella cheese

Parmesan cheese

Baguette

Spray olive oil (or you can brush it)

Garlic powder

Brown ground meat and saute onion. If you're adding mushrooms or pepper, saute with the onion. Add the garlic for about 30 sec. at the end, so it doesn't get too brown.

Put all the liquids, vegetables, and ground meat in a pot, along with the seasoning. (I do this much ahead of time and put it in the fridge until I'm ready to actually heat it and add the lasagna.)

Bring to boil. (Turn on oven to 350 and slice a baguette into 1/4 inch slices for crostini)  Add frozen chopped spinach ( I used about 1 1/2 cups)  once it's boiling. After the flavors have melded, add lasagna noodles by breaking them into small long pieces. (Lasagna really expands as it cooks, so make your pieces small.) You will need to stir every few minutes or the lasagna will stick to the bottom of the pot.

While the lasagna is cooking, spray the slices of baguette with olive oil and sprinkle a bit of garlic powder on each one. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Put in oven--about 10 min, but cook till golden. Do not start eating any before dinner or you will regret it.

When crostinis are done, turn oven to broil. Spoon soup into soup crocks and put them on a cookie sheet with edges. Top with mozzarella and sprinkle with Parmesan. Run under the broiler. Keep a close watch and only cook until it is golden on top.

This is sooooo good and is fast to make. It tastes very like lasagna, but there is only a fraction of the cheese. The liquid gives it that juicy sensation that the cheese does in a regular lasagna. I add a lot of veges to have a healthy meal in a pot.

This serves 6 -8.