Menu

Do you allow doodling?

Doodling helps your brain process information or somesuch.  I read it somewhere and it stuck with me...but only a little bit, as you can see by the specificity of my recall on the topic.

I have one child who fills pages and pages with doodles, usually scrap paper and rarely on his schoolwork.  He draws weird little guys and writes words like "fat" and "poop".  He once wrote "Mom is not fat." in cursive and print.  Well, alright then.

My kids are allow to doodle. They tend to doodle for math and science rather than language arts. The only paper they are not allowed to doodle on is their homework for outside classes as a sign of respect for their teacher (even though I am sure their current teachers won't mind)

I doodle during exams on scrap paper provided. It kept me from falling asleep.

There's a doodle spot in the planner. Doodling in textbooks or other "official" work is not permitted. My rule is, "I expect it to be neat or I'm taking points off." Harsh? Probably, but here's the thing, I don't think a Professor wants to sort through the doodle to find the work either, kwim?

One of my kids is a doodler. She explained to me recently that she can't stand to have blank space on her paper, she feels compelled to fill it in. She only doodles in her math workbook (MUS - lots of white space!), though, so I am not concerned that it will follow her to college - they don't use math workbooks in college. My husband is also a doodler, and it doesn't seem to have harmed him as an adult. He claims it helps him focus and process what other people are saying.

My kids draw all day outside of school time.  I don't have a problem with actual doodling (my oldest turns every circled answer into a dragon eye).... but DD also is a scribbler.  Meaning, she isn't just doodling, she's filling huge swaths of blank space with pencil shading.  Which smears and looks terribly junky.  I do not allow that, but the occasional small drawing or design - sure.

My youngest in particular is a mad doodler. I can look forward to doodles and pictures on almost every assignment, along with scathing commentary on every question she feels is insipid or poorly worded. The only rule is no obscuring the actual work. 

I'm not in the least worried that she will hand in her graduate thesis covered in anime characters and snarky comments. 

Doodling helps your brain process information or somesuch.  I read it somewhere and it stuck with me...but only a little bit, as you can see by the specificity of my recall on the topic.

I have one child who fills pages and pages with doodles, usually scrap paper and rarely on his schoolwork.  He draws weird little guys and writes words like "fat" and "poop".  He once wrote "Mom is not fat." in cursive and print.  Well, alright then.

What I remember is that it keeps your brain from wandering off when what you are listening to or doing isn't taking all your brain power.  So, the doodling keeps the idle part of the brain active and focused on the paper.  

Dd is a doodle. Yes, I allow it with no restrictions. She is smart enough to not doodle on a college test and papers are typed on the computer, no opportunity for doodling. This isn't something I need to "teach" her not go do because professors won't appreciate it one day. 

I doodle whenever I take notes. If I'm in a meeting, at a workshop, convention, etc. I don't doodle any other time, but when speakers are talking and I have a pencil in my and and I'm waiting for them to says something worth writing down... it is like my hand has too much energy just waiting to burst forth lol. 

I don't doodle when I take notes on my iPad, but then I find myself more distracted. I think doodling lets my hand be busy so my mind can stay focused.

I don't like doodling but I allow it. I wasn't a doodler, but my daughter is.

I used to work in a nonprofit and one of our board members always seemed like he wasn't paying attention in the board meetings and was messing around with whatever sheet of paper was in front of him. He was a successful professional so clearly he was intelligent, and even though it seemed like he wasn't paying attention, he always responded with a focused answer or idea. It took me a while to realize that he was doodling during meetings, clearly it was a part of his thinking process.

I allow doodling. I'm not sure I could prevent it with dd#2.

As long as she's paying attention & getting her work done, I don't mind the "art" covering her desk, the margins of her books, and the white space in her math workbook that should actually be used for the math problems.

I'm a doodler, so I've never had an issue with it either homeschooling, or in a full classroom.   (I do not, however, allow drooling lol)

I once had a second grader (now a junior) who drew these elaborate sketches while we were discussing science, or reviewing history or reading aloud.  No, they never had anything whatsoever to do with the discussion.

There would be dozens of stick figures, doing fantastically exciting things like storming a castle and he could make you see the movement.  Arms would be drawn back holding bows, legs would be racing down a hill.  Second grade!  

(I loved it when we had time at the end of the day and he'd cover all three panels of the white board.   :) )

What I found particularly interesting is that when he was allowed to draw while these auditory things were going on, he gained FAR more from the discussion than when he wasn't.  

I'm not full time currently, I merely sub.  So when I saw him this year at the beginning of his junior year, I asked if he still drew.  I know he doesn't make time for art class.  

He said yep, and grabbed a notebook.  There, amongst his history notes were those same stick-figures, hanging things down the margins, taking a hill and planting a flag, and crawling under a guard's wall…  lol

There's a doodle spot in the planner. Doodling in textbooks or other "official" work is not permitted. My rule is, "I expect it to be neat or I'm taking points off." Harsh? Probably, but here's the thing, I don't think a Professor wants to sort through the doodle to find the work either, kwim?

On the other hand, there are times that my professor hubby has discovered that the doodles are the only thing that provides comic relief when he is grading exams, lol!

One student seemingly spent the majority of the time doodling variations of 'I know nothing about chemistry.' On every page of the exam with very artistic pictures...but got an A on a very challenging exam:)

But yes, it has to be well away from the actual work or is obnoxious to grade/decipher.

I tried to allow it but then the privilege was abused so I had to insist on no doodles but she was allowed to keep a paper baby for doodling then she just spent her time drawing with her school pushed aside. I'm a believer in doodling but my daughter isn't a believer in moderation.