Menu

Cat people - before and after pics of our adopted kitty

Kate in Arabia

We adopted a cat in April. My boys had walked to a neighborhood mosque, and when they came out this cat came up to them. He was friendly, but looked a little worse for wear, so they took a picture with their phone and sent it to me to ask what to do. I told them to bring him home, and we took him to our local shelter.

They kept him for two weeks. I posted the picture and a notice on our community boards but there was no response, and he had no microchip. He was thin, and had mats, and scabs on his foot pads from walking around outside in this heat. He also had scabs and missing patches of fur in the head and neck areas, likely from fighting. Otherwise he was healthy, so after two weeks (and neutering) we brought him home.

Last week we took him in for a check-up, he's gained over three pounds! I never really noticed or thought about how much he must have changed until then, but when I got home I put together before and after pictures and was really surprised. The "before" picture is the one my boys took of him on the street, the "after" is from a couple of weeks ago.

dd443429-7238-41e4-a0c3-80b0a235337b_zps bf9f3d2b-cb22-4244-8899-77bc8f0821cb_zps

He is such a sweet cat (not to mice). I've had a number of people ask if he is a Maine Coon. I don't think there's any way to know for sure. He has some of the common traits, but the shape of his face doesn't look exactly like what I've seen for Maine Coons online. I also don't know for sure how old he is, is he done growing? We are just enjoying having him around, although I often wonder about his earlier life, and how he came to be on the street...

He's gorgeous! And does look like a Maine Coon. Have you gotten him fixed yet? The vet should be able to tell you an age guess based on teeth.

The shelter fixed him before they released him to us, I believe part of the adoption fees goes towards that. They were estimating three years, I am a bit confused I guess because of the weight gain. He's now over 10 pounds, which the vet said is a good weight for him. Maybe he was more emaciated before than we thought? Three and a half pounds just seemed like a lot to gain in five months, I wasn't sure I could chalk it all up to recovery and none to normal growth, kwim? Maybe not.

The shelter fixed him before they released him to us, I believe part of the adoption fees goes towards that. They were estimating three years, I am a bit confused I guess because of the weight gain. He's now over 10 pounds, which the vet said is a good weight for him. Maybe he was more emaciated before than we thought? Three and a half pounds just seemed like a lot to gain in five months, I wasn't sure I could chalk it all up to recovery and none to normal growth, kwim? Maybe not.

I'm thinking he probably was emaciated and has just filled out; that thick coat of hair would make it hard to see how thin he was.

He is gorgeous, I am so glad he has found a good home.