Menu

My kids started reading the books as soon as they were capable of, and interested in, doing so. For DD that was early elementary age, for DS 4th grade. They had to take natural pauses between the volumes since they had to wait for the next volumes to come out - otherwise DD would have read the series straight through.

I don't censor books. It has been my experience that my children will simply lose interest in a book that is not appropriate for them.

My oldest was 5.  I read the first 3 aloud to him - this was when they first came out so there was plenty of time between the books.  We held off on book 4 for a few years - maybe until he was 10? 

I don't remember what happened with my 2nd child.  With my daughter, I had planned to hold off on the later books, but she picked up the first book when she turned 8 and went on to read the entire series that summer, unbeknownst to me.  (This was the kid who struggled mightily with reading until she was 7 - stumbling through the 2nd grade pathway readers and then something clicked and she picked up Eragon the following summer.)  Both my oldest and my youngest have reread the whole series several times.

DD just start a couple of months ago.  She's now on book 4.  If she gets scared we'll stop.  Until then I don't have a problem with the books or the movies.  I do require her to read the book before the movie.  I think the movies are less scary when you know what will happen.  I think they also make more sense when you know they parts they left out of the movies.

DD is 10.

I introduced them to my oldest at 9.5. He was hooked immediately and read the series all the way several times in the next 6 months. After reading the series a few times, I let him watch the movies,, which his younger brothers joined in for. None of them had a problem with the movies either, but they've also seen LOTR and other such things. For some reason, my kids are more scared of animated scenes than realistic scenes. I don't get that.

We read one a year - at Christmas - and then overload on Harry Potter fun, movies, and treats. IMHO, the books and themes become more mature as the series advanced. Obviously when released they were intended for an older audience who grew up as the characters grew. So, we are trying to match the growth of our kids to the books. So far it's been an **awesome** annual treat and family tradition. My kids will be 12 and 13 this year and we'll unveil book 6 over Christmas break.

We wait until they can read the first book independently, and then we read it aloud before giving it to them. We let them work their way through the rest of the books at whatever pace they're comfortable with. I've found with my kids that it's natural to pause both before and after book 4. That's the point where there's a big shift in maturity and length.

Calvin read the first few, then the rest came out slowly, which slowed him down.  We didn't restrict Hobbes - he read the first three, I think, then stopped half way through the fourth and decided to wait a bit before reading it.  He came back to it later and then read on.

L

DD7 was 6 when she listened to the first two on CD.  We have all 7 paper books, but we are doing different read alouds at the moment.  DD is not scared by dark themes and would probably do okay with the later books.  Honestly the series DH is reading to her now is a lot heavier and in my opinion quite gruesome so I think she would do okay all the way through book 7.

I read the first one aloud, and once something has been read aloud it will never, ever, upon pain of death, be read independently in my house.  They'd rather just sit there and cry that I'm not reading it aloud.  Sigh.

I read the first one when they were 6.  Then the next two around age 7.  Then we listened together to all the audiobooks at age 8.  I felt okay with that sequence.  I was less okay with reading past the third book when they were 6.

They are meant to grow with the reader. I let my kids read the first three as soon as they can read. Those are juvenile novels. With books 4-7 the series becomes more YA. In book 6 they are kissing and having all kinds of teen drama. I let my older boy read book 4 when he was 11 and then he read books 5-7 when he was 12 and 13.

They haven't seen the movies. We have a strict "no movie until you have read the books' policy for everyone, including adults. By the time my oldest finished the books he had no interest in seeing the movies.

Birth?  I think that's when we started.  :lol:   I'm actually not joking.  I think some of the scarier movies should be pre-screened for your individual child's level of tolerance and maturity, but all of my kids listened to all of them passively or on purpose by age 3.  They were the first "real" books two of my kids picked up to read. 

My oldest son had no interest in reading Harry Potter.  My dd wanted to read them.  I didn't want her to start them until we felt she could finish the series if she wanted to.  She started reading book 1 in June.  She just finished 3 last night.  I think she will start 4 sometime this week.  She is 10 now, but will be 11 in two months.  We haven't decided what to do about the later movies.  

I'm surprised at all the young ages! I'm not saying that because of scariness, or anything like that.

Do they really understand the books under the age of 10 or 11? Like, all the relationships and angst, arguing and loyalty between the characters?

I *love* the HP books but I'm waiting for DS10 to turn 11 (the age Harry was in book 1) before I have him read them.

I just want him to really get the depth the first time through- as I'm sure (hope) he'll read them many times.

He doesn't read much (at all!) for pleasure and I'm hoping the HP books will change that.

I read the first one aloud, and once something has been read aloud it will never, ever, upon pain of death, be read independently in my house. They'd rather just sit there and cry that I'm not reading it aloud. Sigh.

This made me smile :-).

I'm surprised at all the young ages! I'm not saying that because of scariness, or anything like that.

honestly I am too a little bit!

My dd9 had been asking for awhile, and (per board suggestion) she checked out book one from the library today. I really want her to enjoy these books, I didn't want start too early and have her miss out on the greatness of the books!

Do they really understand the books under the age of 10 or 11? Like, all the relationships and angst, arguing and loyalty between the characters?

I *love* the HP books but I'm waiting for DS10 to turn 11 (the age Harry was in book 1) before I have him read them.

I just want him to really get the depth the first time through- as I'm sure (hope) he'll read them many times.

He doesn't read much (at all!) for pleasure and I'm hoping the HP books will change that.

My kids have started and read them when they were young. I'd say no, they don't get all the depth. And I'm sure he didn't really get all the teenage angst.  But ds just went back and re-read them all this summer (I think for the 3rd time, but I might be wrong) since his brother (age 7) was reading the first one. I think he appreciated different things this time around. For both my kids HP has seemed to be a jumpstart on really loving reading for pleasure. For that reason alone, I'm glad they started early. 

At first, I thought I'd make them wait until they were older. But I decided that as much as I think it would be ideal to have been one of the kids who was the perfect age when they were being released and had to wait naturally for each new book, it just will never be that way for them. They already know parts of the story from things like the Lego catalog or hearing friends talk about it even before they read the books. I decided I'd rather them read them when they were interested and not worry about if it was the perfect timing. 

My oldest read them all this spring at 7.5. He's read the books and listened to the audios 2-3 times so far. It's been all Harry, all the time. I had no intention of letting him read them all so quickly, it just happened!

There's no doubt he doesn't fully understand all the themes, but I suspect he'll enjoy revisiting them several times, and will grow in understanding/appreciating them.

No movies for now, though. We are pretty strict on limiting screens (both time and content). He's also read all the Narnia books in the last few months, and I would let him watch the older version of those before any of the HP films.

My oldest had the wait for the last couple books to come out, but the younger kids have just read them whenever they felt like taking them off the shelf. Ds16 was a late reader and didn't get to them until he was 12 or 13 (he'd seen most of the movies by then), but the other boys were around 8 when they read the series. 

We wait until they can read the first book independently, and then we read it aloud before giving it to them. We let them work their way through the rest of the books at whatever pace they're comfortable with. I've found with my kids that it's natural to pause both before and after book 4. That's the point where there's a big shift in maturity and length.

This is pretty much exactly what we did. My kids were both early and advanced readers. They started the books in early elementary. They both paused before book 4, and after book 4. Ds paused longer than dd. I think ds had to wait for the last one to be written, but I'm not sure he read it when it came out - I did.  :lol:

My kids started reading the books as soon as they were capable of, and interested in, doing so. For DD that was early elementary age, for DS 4th grade. They had to take natural pauses between the volumes since they had to wait for the next volumes to come out - otherwise DD would have read the series straight through.

I don't censor books. It has been my experience that my children will simply lose interest in a book that is not appropriate for them.

This. Though my 9 year old dd is desperate to read Game of Thrones (I've told her about the story) and I'm not letting her tackle that quite yet lol. I haven't needed to censor anything else though, she's pretty good at regulating if something is scary to her.

DS read the series beween 4 and 5.  I tried to stop him at book 3, but then I gave up.  He's 7.5 now and has reread them so many times I've lost count.  Every time he rereads them he gets more of the deeper themes.  He recently realised how very hard it must have been for Sirius to break away from the dark side of his family - that sailed by him the first times he read.  He has been becoming increasingly confused about Snape too - at first he was a bad guy, but as he rereads he's noticing nuances and changing his mind.  About Dumbledore too, for that matter.  I think it's a sseries that has / will stay with him for a long time, and grow with him each time he revisits it. 

I will hold off on these until probably 10-11.  I have a whole fantasy built up about this:  I figure each kid will read the series over the course of a school year, then I will take that one kid with me to London and go to the HP museum and spend the down time at the hotel watching all the movies!!!  Note that I live in Europe, so this isn't quite as crazy as it could be...  I think it will be a really great bonding time before each one enters the terrible teens.  ;-)   We might do some aspects of the Hogwart's correspondence school, but not sure yet. 

Ds7 is very sensitive. By the time he is ready ds5 probably will be too. The movies would probably terrify him (especially the spiders). He has a friend who watched all the movies with his mother at 6 which quite frankly seems crazy to me. Anyway I'm picking not before 8 for the first one and possibly nine or ten.

Ds5 would probably enjoy the first one now.

With respect to noticing all the themes: There are a lot of books I read too young to really appreciate them -- Animal Farm springs to mind -- but I was able to go back and re-read them and pick up a lot more the second time through, while still enjoying them on a superficial level as a child.

I don't think I'd use that as a reason for holding off.

Sensitive kids who are prone to nightmares are another reason entirely.

No, of course young children will not understand all the themes. But that does not mean they can't enjoy the books. The problem is present with all literature - even through high school. I do not think any teenager will understand all themes in, say, Dante, or the Iliad, or 1984. Re-reading at a later age will bring different insights and understandings because of the greater life experience, and a good book will open new vistas through multiple readings. Even Grimm's fairy tales which are standard fare for young children will be viewed in a completely different light when a more mature person looks at the psychology and symbolism. For a 5 y/o, they are stories about girls and wolves and bad witches and princesses - they miss the deeper themes of maturing and sexual awakening (and I don't think anybody considers that a problem)

So, if a 7 y/o does not fully grasp all the character dynamic and mainly reads to enjoy the first layer of storytelling, that's fine. The other themes will become more obvious when the reader gets older and rereads the books.

This. Though my 9 year old dd is desperate to read Game of Thrones (I've told her about the story) and I'm not letting her tackle that quite yet lol. I haven't needed to censor anything else though, she's pretty good at regulating if something is scary to her.

Wow. I am dumbfounded that someone would let their kids read GoT like, ever. How can that much violent sex, rape, incest and sadistic violence be good for anyone, let alone a child??? Sorry. I just can't wrap my brain around that one.

Wow. I am dumbfounded that someone would let their kids read GoT like, ever. How can that much violent sex, rape, incest and sadistic violence be good for anyone, let alone a child??? Sorry. I just can't wrap my brain around that one.

Yeah, I'm even a Stephen King fan and that's the one book series my kids will have to wait to read until they are adults living outside of my house.

In general, books that were too old weren't interesting enough for my children to read them before they were ready. The only time I censored was when youngest was between 5 and about 8 or 9, when he was so upset by unhappy events in movies that he couldn't watch anything beyond the Fisher Price toddler movies. He could have read Harry Potter when he was 6 or 7, but I suggested he wait until he was 9 or 10, thinking of nightmares. (We dealt with plenty of those from unavoidable upsets. Ug.) Meanwhile, he read The Hobbit, Catwings, the George McDonald books, a thousand folk tales, and plenty of other possibly upsetting books. I'm not sure why I thought he should wait on Harry Potter. Somehow, I found it more disturbing than most children's fantasy literature. He loved it when he did read it and was glad he had waited. Once he got to be 9 or 10, I completely stopped paying any attention to what he read. I didn't with his older brothers. I did heavily censor movies and videos. I felt that they were much less stoppable than a book being read to oneself, had the emotional impact heightened by music, and because of the graphic input, had much less chance of going over my rather unfortunately precocious children's heads. I (and the rest of my extended family) have a tradition of self-censoring disturbing material that we can't deal with at the moment. I tried to teach my children that what they put in their head is permanent and they need to be aware of what goes in. They seemed to understand this when they were quite young and did (and do) a good job of self-censoring. They were good at not exposing their younger siblings and cousins to "unsuitable" things. With the age spread we have, this has been a wonderful. They very sweetly make suggestions or warnings about things for me, too. I've been warned by two of them now that I would not like Game of Thrones at all. : ) Anyway, I think it is worth not censoring (except in extreme cases) and dealing with the occasional opps in order to teach the concept of self-censoring.

Nan

That is awesome that your kids are able to control themselves like that- but not all kids are. My son had a very addictive personality (that I'm sure is genetic) and he would never be able to sensor himself that way- and I wouldn't be willing to gamble with the crap (GoT) out there today. Once it goes in- it doesn't come out.

I think I'll still wait until 11 for DS to read Harry Potter. I think he'll get more out of it- and I really am banking on those books to show him how fun reading can be. If the HP books don't make him start reading for pleasure- nothing will.

I disagree with letting really young kids read themes above their heads. Yes, thy can enjoy parts of a story - but I know quiet a few who will NOT reread books, especially ones they read when much younger. With books that are awesome - I prefer to wait and make sure they're at an age where they'll LOVE it and not "yeah, it was OK".

Never. lol  I will not" introduce" it to them because I do not think it's good literature.  If they happen to ask about it, I may have to evaluate ages, etc.  DD12 asked if she could read Hunger Games this summer.  I will have to read it first then let her know.  Too busy with college stuff for oldest right now and I will get to it later next month.  First I will wait for them to ask.  I introduce them to great authors, I let them find the fluff on their own. :)

Hmm, I was about to say that I have advised but never forbidden books, but that's not entirely true. I've never actually had to forbid a book, b/c my (sensitive) kids were good about asking about questionable things when they were younger. They didn't want to be upset about certain things while reading, so I'd just say that this or that would likely disturb them, and they were happy to move on. 

But I would have forbidden certain books if they had disagreed, most notably some from our library's Young Adult section, also known as Hey, Kid, Come Borrow Some Soft Porn! 

I was a kid who never lost interest in books that were highly inappropriate for me, lol. I could not imagine my kids reading V.C. Andrews or explicit true crime as preteens the way I did. It didn't matter if it troubled me greatly or gave me nightmares, I never lost interest or quit reading. 

My older boys started reading them when they were in 2nd grade, and Harry Potter turned my reluctant reader into a reading machine.  In 2nd grade he said, "I've never enjoyed reading so much.  It's like watching television because she writes so well."  Something about the way Rowling writes makes it very easy to picture every scene as you read through it.   I've recommended the series to other moms of boys who are reluctant readers, and Rowling has hooked many of them too.

At that age they don't get all the nuances that make the books entertaining to adults, like the mocking of bureaucracy in Percy's project with the International Standardization of Cauldron Thickness, or the teen drama, but my kids have all reread the books as they got older, and each time they enjoyed them even more.

The books are much funnier than the movies, which aren't funny at all really, and much deeper.  In the books you see Harry's internal negotiations as he decides, for example, how much truth to tell Dumbledore, and you eventually understand the complexity of Dumbledore's affection for Harry too, and the mistakes Dumbledore makes because of it.  None of this you get in the movies.  I think the books make excellent fodder for discussions of character choices and ethical dilemmas.

Enjoy!

I've never read GoT

Is it really that much different than hunger games, divergent, or heck the bible.  Most of those themes are present in good lit.

I haven't read them but we own them and I've been meaning to. Let's put it this way... the tv show airs on HBO. If Hunger Games were to air on TV it would probably be on regular television. If you go to Common Sense media Game of Thrones (the show) had a "Not For Kids" label on it. Whereas, if you look at Hunger Games it has a teen rating. One parent said the movie was less violent than the book, though.

OP, are you waiting to show the movies until after reading the books? We did things really backwards here... ds has seen just about every film. Speaking of Harry Potter, I'm helping put on a workshop next week with dh. Kids will be watching the first two films and decorating wands. We just got some of our merch in the mail (like little broom pens). I'm trying to figure out how to make flying skeleton keys via Pinterest Lol.

You mean like Lot's daughters raping their father.  Hey it's a twofer; rape and incest combined in 1 story.  Pretty sure if they made a TV show it wouldn't air on regular TV.

It's been a while since I read Hunger games.  I think there was a discussion about rape in the 3rd.  And the violence involving kids is just disturbing.

You mean like Lot's daughters raping their father.  Hey it's a twofer; rape and incest combined in 1 story.  Pretty sure if they made a TV show it wouldn't air on regular TV.

That's because violence in American entertainment is fun for the whole family, see. Sex, on the other hand, is a dangerous thing. Violent sex (typically against women) counts as violence, so it's okay. 

Censorship brought to you by the MPAA.

For us, around 10 or 11, cannot recall for sure, at which point ds read them all himself, one after the other in a few days time per book. Some or all he reread once or more than once. He did not see the movies till after reading all the books himself first.

Miss E received the first Harry Potter book around her 5th birthday.  She started reading it, but didn't understand the British-isms enough to really follow and enjoy it.  At 7 she picked it up again and finished book 1 pretty quickly.  She's now into book 2 so I don't know how long she'll continue before she takes a break.  I agree that if it gets too intense, she will likely pull back rather than plow through.

I stopped trying to manage her independent reading when she was in 1st grade.  It is unlikely I will start back in again, and I don't see the HP series as censor-worthy.

Miss A (also 7) is a slower reader.  She started reading HP this summer.  I don't know if she will finish it or shelve it until her fluency improves.  It is up to her.  It would be great if she gets hooked and starts reading more IMO.

You mean like Lot's daughters raping their father. Hey it's a twofer; rape and incest combined in 1 story. Pretty sure if they made a TV show it wouldn't air on regular TV.

It's been a while since I read Hunger games. I think there was a discussion about rape in the 3rd. And the violence involving kids is just disturbing.

So, I skipped that part when reading the Bible to my son. However- in that part, it says, "and they lay with their father" or something along those lines....

It doesn't spend paragraphs graphically describing the act, kwim?

Reading- "And they had intercourse" is nowhere near as graphic as graphic depictions of every single thrust, touch, or grind that takes place.

My kids can read 1-3 after they turn 9.  My middle, whose ninth birthday is in a couple weeks, is counting down.  A short break before 4, longer before 5, and my oldest flew through 6 & 7 right around her 11th birthday.  She reread the earlier books while waiting to continue the story.  She's since reread many times.  So I plan on following the same plan with the middle & youngest.  It allows a little maturity, rereading time, getting comfortable with the deepening themes.