Menu

Which is your FAVORITE fast-food venue? Why?

Ginevra

Favorite fast-food venue  

269 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the MOST LIKELY choice you will make if available.

• McDonalds
    • Burger King
    • Panera
    • Chipotle
    • Sonic
    • Wendy's
    • Starbucks
    • Taco bell
    • A different choice
    • I never eat franchised food
    • Chik-fil-a

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm always amused by how we all tend to look at things differently. I do not consider Panera or Pei Wei fast food....... to me, fast food includes things like McDonalds, Burger King, Arby's, Wendy's, etc. The only fast food restaurant I'll go to is Chick-fil-a... and while traveling, Arby's. I do go to Panera and Pei Wei but do not consider them fast food.

I love Panera Bread for the Fuji Apple salad, but my kids will eat bread there until they pop and still won't be full.  I voted ChickFilA because when we were last in one, while on vacation, we saw a clerk clean the play gym.  The guy climbed all the way through it, cleaning all the way!  No wonder it is so clean!  Does McD's do such a great job?  I suspect not. 

Now, wait, is Five Guys the place with the rosemary fries?!  Those things are so fantastic, I will LEAP off my little low-carb wagon for them.  We don't have one close to us, which is probably good.

I voted Chipotle but Taco del Mar is my go-to.  Chipotle is too loud to eat-in.  

Taco del Mar is my go to because I can do gluten and dairy free and basically get a salad with meat and guacamole on it.  :0)

Subway. I like that there are lots of vegetables I can get in my sandwich. And everyone in my family likes something there.

I have not been is McD's in well over 10 years, and will happily avoid it for the rest of my life. Because it's gross.

I love Panera Bread for the Fuji Apple salad, but my kids will eat bread there until they pop and still won't be full.  I voted ChickFilA because when we were last in one, while on vacation, we saw a clerk clean the play gym.  The guy climbed all the way through it, cleaning all the way!  No wonder it is so clean!  Does McD's do such a great job?  I suspect not. 

Now, wait, is Five Guys the place with the rosemary fries?!  Those things are so fantastic, I will LEAP off my little low-carb wagon for them.  We don't have one close to us, which is probably good.

When we lived in TX the McD near us had a dedicated employee in the play area. She kept the place clean--yes, even crawling through the tubes with cleaning spray--and managed the parties. That was a long time ago, though. I wonder if they still do that, if they find it worth the cost, as it did draw in a lot of people with little kids because they *knew* the place was clean.

I don't think 5Guys is the place with rosemary fries. At least not the one by me.

I voted other, because Qdoba is my favorite "fast food" (although I don't consider it to be quite the same as a drive-through place), but if I had to choose from your list, I'd pick Panera, which is also another favorite of mine (and also not really fast food, for my purposes).

I voted Chipotle but Taco del Mar is my go-to.  Chipotle is too loud to eat-in. 

I agree entirely. Love Taco del Mar. I have even come to appreciate the surly lady who works at the one near me; she seems to take my preference for pinto beans as a personal affront (she always asks twice, thinking I must mean black beans), but she's kind of cute when she grumbles about it.

I wanted to love Chipotle. I was pleased when one opened near us, but I was underwhelmed by the food. It was ok, but nothing too exciting. Putting lime in rice does not make you Rick Bayless. And it really is noisy. Makes me feel like such a curmudgeon when I crumb about the loud music. 

I voted for chiptole because as someone with food allergies it is MUCH easier for me to get good food that I can eat than it is at most other fast food places.

Once one cannot eat cheese the burgers at McDonalds are bland and unappealing.

Chick-fil-a is probably one of the worst places for people with food allergies.

I never eat at Panara, we do go to Jason's Deli. They have better soup and sandwich choices though they are not technically a bakery.

I like taco bell ok, their "fresco style" is without dairy so I usually order off that menu.

I rarely eat franchise food ~ haven't eaten at many of the places on this list, and haven't been to any of the others for at least a dozen years.   My one exception (not in this poll, though) is Subway.  Must admit that I rely on it fairly often when traveling with my guys.  

Okay, but here's what I find interesting: few people IME say they love McDonald's, yet McDs market share is vast, something like double the next runner-up (which some sites say is Subway). I wonder what combination of factors makes this so. Even US growth for McDs has climbed in the last few years, since they intro'd some new offerings. Is it due to the demographic that is likely to homeschool? So, in my sphere, not a lot of McD-goers. Is it the ubiquitousness of McDs, such that people often go there, even if it wouldn't be their first choice?

It's curious.

I've never liked McDonald's.  I can eat a junior cheeseburger and small fries at Wendy's and be satisfied.  At McDonald's I can eat a Quarter Pounder with cheese and fries and still be hungry.

A McDonald's opened about a mile from us a year or two ago.  I've been once, and that was for a cup of coffee one morning when I was in a hurry.  They do have pretty good coffee.

Wendy's is the best place on that list for us. We are GF and DH and I eat LC so we can all get bunless burgers, DH and I can get side salads, and the kids can eat the fries (most locations) and sometimes they get a Frosty.

We used to eat at In-n-out quite a bit but I think we got kind of burned out.

We don't eat at chipotle because we have much better local options for Mexican fast food.

My real #1 fast food would be Taco John's (and Runza) but I only get those once a year.

Well I confess that I took DS to McDonald's today.  But McDonald's is officially dead to me because they no longer have hot mustard sauce for their chicken nuggets (which is pretty much one of the few items I like that they sell).

It is not my favorite by any stretch though!

I know right!!! I was so mad when they didn't have the hot mustard for my nuggets. I frequent McD's quite often for the $1 large Diet coke.

I've looked at Chipotle twice, but I hate onions. So, Chipotle is out. We really like Freebirds.

My favorite burger is Five Guys and Fries

I will never understand the appeal of Subway.

Okay, but here's what I find interesting: few people IME say they love McDonald's, yet McDs market share is vast, something like double the next runner-up (which some sites say is Subway). I wonder what combination of factors makes this so. Even US growth for McDs has climbed in the last few years, since they intro'd some new offerings. Is it due to the demographic that is likely to homeschool? So, in my sphere, not a lot of McD-goers. Is it the ubiquitousness of McDs, such that people often go there, even if it wouldn't be their first choice?

It's curious.

That maybe because McD's is everywhere and highly advertised. Besides lets say your child is hungry (or your blood sugar has dropped) and you have a dollar and some change, and in a hurry, you are more likely to see a McD's so you whip through drive- thru and get something off the dollar menu to get through until you get home

I picked other, because Zaxby's and Firehouse Subs are not on the list.

Zaxby's has really good chicken and salads, Firehouse has the best. subs. ever.

I really want to like Zaxby's, but I got the worst case of food poisoning from there from a salad and now even driving past it makes me a little green.

I think it was the lettuce, because my daughter had chicken, too, and she was fine.    I'm sure it would be fine if I ate there again, too, but I just can't.

Ok, this is not fair. You are obligated to share your recipe for mock cherry limeade.  Our Sonic was open for about  a month when a flood ruined it and they just never built it back. And the next closest Sonic is like 40 miles from me so I never get there.  And I *love* cherry limeade. 

My parents make those. It is sprite/7up/Sierra Mist then some cherry syrup and lime juice.

I voted "other" because our favorite fast food is a local burger joint.  We would basically never eat fast food if it weren't for this place a couple of miles from us!  I have their number on my phone and can call in the order and it will be ready by the time we get there.  I think they sprinkle their sweet potato fries with crack; so addictive.

When we travel is the only other time we eat fast food.  Then we tend to look for In-n-out, Chipotle, Panera, or Chick-Fil-A.

we don't eat franchise fast food.

reason 1. - they are too expensive- it is way cheaper to eat food grown out of our own garden. The rear time we get takeaway we just go to the local chip shop and get $10 hot chips, Way cheaper. Reason 2. we don't like the taste- I guess eating all homemade has made us particular. reason 3. I don't like the way I feel after eating franchise fast food. Reason 4. the closest franchise fast food place is over 70 km away.

It's curious.

It is interesting. I personally find the food at McD's to be the worst among all fast food places, with Burger King in close second. I find their food revolting at best. I refuse to go to either of these places. Ever...............

Interesting about McD's. We just went there last week--we rarely go--and felt like we'd wasted $15. Part of the reason we went was I didn't want to go to CFA--again!--and our friend, whose dh works at CFA, said McD's new grilled chicken sandwich was pretty good. Bleah, according to ds2. The fries were just ok. Dd didn't eat any of her nuggets. I enjoyed my once-every-3-to-5-years filet 'o fish though.

Out of those, Chipotle. I do love me some Dick's Burgers, though.

If I am eating fast food at breakfast, it is almost always going to be McDonalds, #2 sandwich only. I am ashamed to say this is probably at least a weekly thing for me.

For lunch, local places like Dick's, Kidd Valley or a taco truck or gyro stand.

I've looked at Chipotle twice, but I hate onions. So, Chipotle is out.

?? The only thing with onions would be fajitas with the peppers and onions, and a few of the salsas.

I'm wondering about the cherry juice--wonder if I could just sub grenadine? Because all those cherries would just go to waste around here.

You can definitely sub grenadine.  I have and couldn't tell the difference!

I'm going to lunch this week and suggested Panera. But I don't really like Panera, and this thread has inspired me to offer my friend another couple of choices.  :)

I like to eat food I can recognize. But I cannot eat anything with onions and just recently figured out dairy, tomatoes, and legumes are not agreeing with me. What's that leave? Rice and barbaco with lettuce and maybe sliced avacado. SIGH!

PS: I always asked for plain tomatoes and avacado before. Always got them, too with a smile. 

DH and I have a joke for Panera Bread. It's "Pay More For Bread". We went there once. We learn fast.

The last time I went to McD's was over 12 years ago, Burger King 15 years ago, Wendy's probably over 30 years ago, Taco Bell once maybe 12 years ago. I've never been to Chik-fil-a, Sonic, Panera or Chipotle. Every couple of months I go to Starbucks for a latte but since that's not food I voted that I don't eat franchised food. I used to in my youth but I seem to have lost my taste for it. I would go to Chipotle if I thought my gut could handle it. Some of the local places y'all are linking and referencing sound pretty good, too.

It depends on what day it is.  I like Panera, Chipotle, Chick Fil A, Subway, and McDonald's, but none of them all the time.  I'm also cool with a cold grocery store sandwich.  Just depends where I am when I get hungry.  :P

I voted other. My family's most-frequented fast food spot is probably Dunkin' Donuts. Probably second would be Chick-Fil-A, but that's at the insistence of the kids, especially my youngest who is a super-picky eater but *loves* CFA. While I do love the service, it's expensive for what you get and there are a lot of hidden chemicals in the food. We aren't into super-clean eating (see our Dunkin' habit above) but I'm sensitive to foods with certain additives, MSG derivatives and soy being the biggest offenders. CFA almost always triggers a reaction for me unless I eat a salad w/no dressing. But then what's the point of eating there?

Overall, we tend to go for fast casual rather than traditional fast food--local pizza and Greek franchises, as well as Pei Wei. It seems like we are able to get better quality and quantity for what we spend there. 

I really want to like Zaxby's, but I got the worst case of food poisoning from there from a salad and now even driving past it makes me a little green.

I think it was the lettuce, because my daughter had chicken, too, and she was fine.    I'm sure it would be fine if I ate there again, too, but I just can't.

I hear you.  I once got that from the chop salad at Outback.  That was years ago, and I think I've eaten at Outback just twice since, and can't even think about ordering that salad! 

It is interesting. I personally find the food at McD's to be the worst among all fast food places, with Burger King in close second. I find their food revolting at best. I refuse to go to either of these places. Ever...............

This is me, too, though I think BK is worse than McDs. It has been decades since I went inside a BK, and I am not even sure if I ate there when I went. (It was for a kid party.) I haven't eaten McDs in years and years. My DS 14 does like McDs, but my DD 17 views it with contempt. I tell her she is a Panera snob, lol. The little guy has rarely been to McDs, but doesn't have much opinion on it.

It's curious.

At the high school where I work, oodles of students and some teachers come in with McD's for breakfast every day.  Some teachers go out to get lunch there at least once per week (often taking "orders" for others too).  After school many kids stop by there.  There's a Burger King literally right next door, but I bet I can count on one hand the number of bags I see from there - it's often none.  There's a Subway a little closer to school, so that attracts kids who walk (vs drive) and a few teachers, but again, nowhere near the numbers.  Wendy's is a little farther away from Burger King (less than a quarter mile), but there are very few, if any, from there too.

Our school is always "average" in national academic stats.  If we are also "average" with eating habits - there's your answer.

However, in a nearby town there's a Chick Fil A right next to a McDonald's.  The Chick Fil A always appears to have more people in it... and some kids who have worked at both tell me that Chick Fil A does more business.  That town has 3 McDonalds and 1 Chick Fil A. Many places do not have Chick Fil A.  I suspect that contributes to your answer too.

A "per store" comparison in same locations would be a more effective comparison.

This is me, too, though I think BK is worse than McDs.

That is the consensus here. The last time we ate at BK was about 13 years ago. It was a new BK in our town so we decided to try it. My dc refused to eat their food. I thought they were being picky but I tasted it and had to agree it was terrible. That really stuck with them. About 5 years ago we went on a trip and it happened to be BK country--kind of like how here in GA there's a CFA at every exit. All we found there was BK. My boys were pretty hungry but absolutely refused to stop at BK and waited over an hour until we found something else. I'm thinking we must have bypassed some McD's as well but it doesn't stand out in my memory. The dc were holding out for Wendy's but we never saw one.