Menu

*vent* Came home to catch neighbor digging up my hostas

Annie G

Dh and I went shopping for new mattresses...yay! Had a lovely day, and pulled in the driveway to see our neighbor in my hosta bed digging up a plant!  These are VERY mature hostas and we planned to divide them to spread them out around our house.  Yeah, dh mentioned that we were dividing them but *maybe* used the term 'splitting them up' and the guy thought he was entitled to come get them! So we catch him, tell him we mean divide them to spread them around our yard, and he comments that we have enough to do several yards. Whatever- it's clear we want the plants. We come back inside (he had stopped digging) and a few minutes later I see no hosta, but a large hole, and see our plant in HIS YARD. 

We share a driveway with this guy so we have to maintain some civility. But I'm pretty sure that I'm about to go postal on this guy.  Last year he planted a daisy in OUR YARD and told my ds to mow around it. It was behind the garage so I didn;t even know it was there for over a month. Ds thought I had told the guy it was ok. 

We do not maintain our yard to his satisfaction- I get that. But it's our yard.   Back off buddy. 

Dh and I went shopping for new mattresses...yay! Had a lovely day, and pulled in the driveway to see our neighbor in my hosta bed digging up a plant!  These are VERY mature hostas and we planned to divide them to spread them out around our house.  Yeah, dh mentioned that we were dividing them but *maybe* used the term 'splitting them up' and the guy thought he was entitled to come get them! So we catch him, tell him we mean divide them to spread them around our yard, and he comments that we have enough to do several yards. Whatever- it's clear we want the plants. We come back inside (he had stopped digging) and a few minutes later I see no hosta, but a large hole, and see our plant in HIS YARD. 

We share a driveway with this guy so we have to maintain some civility. But I'm pretty sure that I'm about to go postal on this guy.  Last year he planted a daisy in OUR YARD and told my ds to mow around it. It was behind the garage so I didn;t even know it was there for over a month. Ds thought I had told the guy it was ok. 

We do not maintain our yard to his satisfaction- I get that. But it's our yard.   Back off buddy. 

:ohmy:  :thumbdown:   Wow, that takes ba***!  Oh my goodness.  I have no idea how I would handle something like this since it could easily escalate but wow!

All great advice- but we share a driveway so we do have to maintain some level of civility with the man.  These old houses used to have a back alley with access to the garages but the alley is long gone- thus the shared driveway. 

The man has done a number of things equally bad. This one just has me fuming. I have no green thumb at all. I really don't. But I have beautiful hostas.  So I want them!!!

Thanks for commiserating.  I just needed to vent. 

Oh, my gosh. This is like my gas pump experience. This guy sounds totally nutso. He was trespassing, stealing, and in your face to boot. I have no idea what I would do, but I am not sure I would risk digging it up from his yard. I do know I would never speak to him again. And I would have mowed the daisy down, too!

I'm agreeing with those who say it doesn't sound like he's playing with a full deck.

I'd be fuming right along with you, but whether I'd go take it back - putting it in my yard where I wanted more of them - or whether I'd drop it and internally fume would depend on what part of the deck I thought he was still playing with...

You definitely have my sympathies.

I'm trying to figure out how to include "hosta (hasta) la vista" into this conversation....

I don't even know what to say. I wouldn't want to get in a war with this guy, with the hosta going back and forth each time someone leaves their house for more than a few minutes. Plus I like the peace.

I think I would tell him he can have this one, but if he takes another I will call the police without hesitation. And then do it.

I don't know if it's the right thing to do, but it's probably what I would do.

He sounds mentally ill. That is not typical or reasonable behaviour for most people.

If he comes back again to do anything. Tell him again and again, "You are not welcome here. Never come into our yard again. Do you understand. Never come here again."

That is bizarre.

If this were me, the Midnight Hosta Company would have a relocation assignment for tonight.

Yup yup. I was going to ask if you can repo a hosta, but he never actually po'd it in the first place.

So this guy decides you have more of something than you need, so he gets it? Yeah, that's not scary at all.

I'd buy some wild flower seed packets and accidentally spread them on his lawn unannounced. ...and enjoy the show when they start blooming. I'm passive aggressive like that though

Oh........that's evil and BRILLIANT!

I do like the way you think.

He has done this kind of thing before.  We had a black edging between this bed and the grass and he tore it out, saying that nobody uses that kind of edging. He took bricks from our house and has them in his yard.  We have walked a fine line with this man- to other people he appears to be the nicest, most friendly guy. But every time we tell him that it's our yard and we'll take care of it how we see fit.  And about once every year he pulls some stunt like this. We've tried being friendly, tried being angry, tried brushing it off as no big deal. So far nothing has worked. 

He's all there- he just feels entitled to 'improve' our yard because it doesn't meet his standards. 

The daisy is long gone. As soon as I found out it was there I told ds to mow it down. He was happy to do so!

Civility is a two way street and it doesn't mean not responding to *theft*. Would you allow him to take a bike off your front porch or walk in and take some food because you have "extra"?

He STOLE your property. Given what you've said about him I'm quite sure this type of behavior will continue and probably escalate.

I don't know what a Hosta is, but I do know that it sounds like it was yours not his so I would go and get it back. I am not afraid of confrontation however, so if its a yard war her wants, its a yard war he'd get.

He's all there- he just feels entitled to 'improve' our yard because it doesn't meet his standards. 

Since you're sure this is the case, I'd be going over to his yard and getting my hosta and I wouldn't be waiting until dark.  We'd have it out ASAP.  He'd also know that if he desired, the police could be involved in this or future issues.

One does not need to live civilly with those who are overstepping their bounds in such ways - shared driveway or not.  One needs to set boundaries.

Civility is a two way street and it doesn't mean not responding to *theft*. Would you allow him to take a bike off your front porch or walk in and take some food because you have "extra"?

He STOLE your property. Given what you've said about him I'm quite sure this type of behavior will continue and probably escalate.

I agree.  I would definitely call the non-emergency police line and tell them about his actions.

I'd buy some wild flower seed packets and accidentally spread them on his lawn unannounced. ...and enjoy the show when they start blooming. I'm passive aggressive like that though

Spray it with Round Up in the middle of the night. Then when it dies say, "So sorry, I guess hostas won't grow in your yard!"

Since this is not the first time he has done something like this, it's time to get the police involved.  I once had a police officer say they would rather deal with these situations directly and early rather than showing up after a prolonged neighbor war.  Tell the police he was trespassing on your property and stole your plant and that this is not the first time he has taken or removed your landscaping.  The guy needs to get the idea that you are serious and will take action.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I think I'd go get it but NOT put it back in my own yard. When he comes to you, looking for it, I would say, "As you can see, there's still a hole in my garden. But maybe the person who saw you steal it from my yard figured it would be okay to steal it from yours."

And then get him on that trail cam when he comes back for a replacement.

This is exactly what I was thinking!  Except I was thinking more along the lines of weed seeds... you can buy seed for dandelions, stinging nettle, orach, and other annoying things to find in the lawn. 

Going onto his property is trespassing.  He could then call the police on you.  This is not sound advise.

I agree with this. 

I would be inclined to contact the police non-emergency number and ask for advice.  It may be that you are willing to let that single hosta go but allowing it may be seen as tacit permission to do more. 

Do you know a lawyer?   Maybe you can get an inexpensive "cease and desist" letter sent to him. 

What a weird situation.  I'm sorry you have to deal with this!

Since this is not the first time he has done something like this, it's time to get the police involved. I once had a police officer say they would rather deal with these situations directly and early rather than showing up after a prolonged neighbor war. Tell the police he was trespassing on your property and stole your plant and that this is not the first time he has taken or removed your landscaping. The guy needs to get the idea that you are serious and will take action.

As fun as it is to joke about the situation, I think what I've quoted above is the most prudent advice.

Going onto his property is trespassing. He could then call the police on you. This is not sound advise.

True. AND turn about is fair play. OP, if nothing has worked in the past, it's time to up the ante. Place cameras around your yard to catch this *trespasser* and *thief*. Then send him a certified, return-receipt-requested letter (preferably on paper with a law firm's heading) telling him to NEVER come on or touch your property again.

He's stolen and vandalized your property. You truly don't have to live this way if you don't want. Contact your HOA (if you have one) or call the police non-emergency line.

Obviously, being nice hasn't helped.

Take photos of the hole, and of the hosta in his yard.  

I agree that clear boundaries need to be set.  Calmly explain to him that there was a misunderstanding and you want him to replant your hosta back in your yard, in the hole where he dug it out.  And that you plan to keep all of your hostas to landscape other areas of your yard.  He's taken bricks, edging, and planted things in your yard?!  Prepare to repeat yourself in this conversation, and to say regardless they are your hostas, but be as calm and non confrontational as you can.  Document what's happening and the date.

If being very straightforward and non-confrontational about boundaries doesn't work, I'd be calling the police non-emergency number to see what other options you have.  Your town may also have resources outlining what neighbors can and can't do with another neighbor's trees or plants (often it's only trim whatever branches cross the property line), and possibly someone who can help broker further conversations.  

Amy

Perhaps Marianne NOVA has some advice. She came home from shopping once to find her neighbors had 'trimmed' her forsythia bushes. You didn't happen to buy her old house, did you?

That said, I don't know what I would do, but I am thinking the garden gnomes would be fun...

All great advice- but we share a driveway so we do have to maintain some level of civility with the man.  These old houses used to have a back alley with access to the garages but the alley is long gone- thus the shared driveway. 

The man has done a number of things equally bad. This one just has me fuming. I have no green thumb at all. I really don't. But I have beautiful hostas.  So I want them!!!

Thanks for commiserating.  I just needed to vent. 

Why does maintaining civility with this man fall on your shoulders?   He stole your property.  He is the one who fired across your bow.  Fire back.  Go get your hosta and warn him that the next time he trespasses on your property, you will call the police.

Ok. I'll admit, I just would use this opportunity to buy garden gnomes. The harassment of others WITH gnomes would just be a perk.

Nanny cam gnomes!

I agree with not trespassing, especially anything destructive like Roundup. At this point, it's not "hot pursuit" of your hosta either, so I'd stay out entirely unless the non-emergency police tell you to reclaim it.

What a nutbucket! I hope you get your plants back. :(