Menu

Sad and scared prayers appreciated a little graphic

Only me

Sorry this has to be so hard....My brother also passed when everyone left. 

Sometimes if someone is especially a "fighter", it helps to let them know it is ok to go, and that you will be ok and take care of your dad.  You may have already done that, but it's just an idea.

Your mom has probably passed away now, God rest her soul.  I just wanted to let you know that when my grandma died, we went through a very similar process of her living almost a week beyond what was expected based on her food/water intake.  It is so, so, so hard to watch this.  I hope you have found some rest and peace and help to give you and your dad a break from time to time.  :grouphug:

She is still hanging on by a thread. I came home for a little while to see my family and rest since I only had a few hours of sleep the night before.

My mom can't swallow now but the hospice does not use the ativan gel. It's so frustrating. A nurse is on her way to evaluate her. It seems like she is definitely shutting down. I was going to go back this evening but may go back sooner. The problem is I have chronic pain and took pain meds this morning so I can't drive for a few more hours. I need my car over there since my husband is going out of town later this week. If the nurse feels she is passing soon I will have my husband drive me over anyway

Thanks for all the prayers, kind words and advice. I really do appreciate it.

{{{hockeybaseballmom}}}   You've gotten such good advice and support!  My mom passed away on February 11th, and she, too, far outlasted the projections, but it was just like her to embrace life, and oddly enough, once I got past the exhaustion after her death, it was a comfort to me to know that she died in the same manner as she lived. 

I'm sending up prayers for you and wishing you and your family comfort and strength during these hours and days.  Your mom would be so proud of the woman you are.  And your children will remember your strength when they need to draw on reserves they don't know they have--they will remember the mom and grandma who walked hard roads with love and grace. 

May you be blessed by the love that you are extending to those around you.

:grouphug:  I went through this with my Dad last year. It is soooooooo hard!.  Should I stay, should I go, what if this and what if that.....I finally came to the conclusion that all I could do was my best. We had said our good-byes. In our case Dad chose his time to go. He waited until my sister had arrived for a few days. She is the most level headed of us kids in a crisis.  He knew Mom would be in good hands. Mom was pretty tired by this point having been his main care giver. Hospice thought he had at least another week but he took the opportunity to go when he did and I think he did it because the time was right as far as he was concerned. Praying for peace for you at this tough time.

Oh, areen't all those dying stages frightening? I wish there was a concise book of "What to Expect when your Mom Dies." We have so many fantastic resources, but none of us want to know too much about death before the moment we need it, so the dying books that would be so helpful remain either unwritten or too long to be of use when you need them.

Your hospice worker is a fantastic resource. Don't hesitate to use her as a support. You probably think that she is there to care for your mom only, but half of her job is to take care of you. Ask her to explain what she thinks will happen next, allow her into your fears, and let her reassure you. She has seen this process many times and will have great wisdom to share.

((Hugs)) I'm so sorry.

ETA- just saw your update. I am so sorry for your loss.