Menu

What activities make your summer?

Michelle My Bell

Swimming....our favorite thing.  My dd's softball games.  Screaming kids, bad for you snacks, dirt , it's just fun.  Sitting in my backyard with a vodka tonic and a book while the kids catch lightning bugs or jump on the trampoline.  Early runs when the sun is just peaking up.  Nothing earth shattering but the best things seldom are.

Day trips to the beach and spending every day at my parents house when my sister and her family are in town!  That 2 weeks per year is the best part of every summer because I get to see all my siblings together and watch all 14 of our children playing together.

Water balloon fights!

This year I want to get ice blocks and ride down some neighborhood hills. 

Homemade popsicles in our Zoku pop maker

swimming

pool/beach

On super hot days sometimes we'll crank up the A/C and watch Christmas movies or old b-movies

Summer = chair at the pool. Our town pool is sand bottom pool.  Totally awesome beach like without the jellyfish.  I arrive when the pool opens with cooler of food, book, and chairs.  Park myself under the shady tree and there I sit until around 2:30.  When the kids were little we would come home, shower/baths, put on jammies and watch a movie until dinner.  After dinner was read a loud time.

Now that mine are teens they will return to the pool after we come home to meet up with friends (so glad we are walking distance) or simply stay after I am done for the day.  My oldest also lifeguards at the pool.

My friends who do not homeschool are always trying to get me to go on fun trips with them all summer long.  No matter how much I explain that I do all that during the school year (no crowds) and this is my sit and do nothing time they keep trying.

We always try to get to a local minor league baseball game. One of my boys love it, the other tolerates it, but it's a fun night. We have an inground pool, so they can swim for 30 minutes and then dry off and go do something else when they want and I don't have to lug coolers, chairs and pool bags anywhere, love it! We did the community pool thing with the older four and I was grateful to be able to, we spent a lot of time there each summer. We do the fire pit, catch lightning bugs, try to do some fun/educational day trips. We help with Child Evangelism Day Camp at our church each summer. This year, for the first time, we will be taking an entire family vacation. Dh and I, twins, single son, married sons and daughter-in-laws, married daughter and son-in-law and, of course, grandchildren! Hoping this becomes a tradition, probably not every year but every two or three years would be nice. 

Camping at the coast

Picking blueberries. Eating fresh blueberries in large quantities.

Swimming at the neighborhood pool.

Having light until late at night. Kids playing in the neighborhood until 9:30.

Small-town baseball

Home made ice cream

Or going for a frozen yogurt outing

Soccer tournaments

Sleeping in

Finding time to scrapbook? Please? Maybe?

We used to go to the zoo (we have 2 to pick from) but the summer is way too hot now for that. So, we go to the museum (it has art as well as dinosaurs ((they even have a wall of dinos)). There's also the movie theatres, tons of great movies come out during the summer. Our local one has a Summer Movie Package where you get like 10 or so movies for $5 for the kids.

Swimming.  Catching lightning bugs.  Water play in the backyard.  Camping.  Hitting the beach.  Movie nights (outside).  Our town's weekly outdoor concerts.  

Lightning bugs!  Oh!  The lightning bugs are *such* a big part of summer that DS made an app about catching them!   It is sooooo cool, just the sounds alone make me ready for summer!  I posted about that here a while ago, that it was one of his projects for school!  Our whole family got into making it.  We love, love, love lightning bugs.  :)   It's a free app, but I've never posted a link or anything here, I don't want to violate rules.  Is it okay to post something like that that our kids make?  It's a free app.  I'm dying to share the sounds alone with anyone who loves catching lightning bugs at night... It makes me smile. 

Trips to the beach

Hiking in the mountains when the wildflowers are in bloom

Berry picking

Picnics

Hot dog roasts

Swimming

Making homemade ice cream and popsicles

Camping

Outdoor Shakespeare theater

Summer reading program at the library and various activities they offer (puppet shows, crafts, etc)

Overnight camp for oldest ds

Day camps for the other kids

Trying out messy craft projects (last summer we dyed yarn and play silks outside)

The pool, VBS, camp.

Grilling out, picking blueberries, catching fireflies, eating watermelon and real tomatoes.

Make it up as you go along schedule.

Staying up late reading or watching movies.

Farm team baseball games! ,

New for this year - foursquare after dinner! We may move it to the cul-de-sac after public school gets out and see if we can get the neighborhood hooked!

:)   It's a free app, but I've never posted a link or anything here, I don't want to violate rules.  Is it okay to post something like that that our kids make?  It's a free app.  I'm dying to share the sounds alone with anyone who loves catching lightning bugs at night... It makes me smile. 

I'm pretty sure that sharing something free is okay! Especially since your kids made it.

Fresh berries out of the garden and fresh homemade jam

Later nights in the backyard

Fire pit and roasting marshmallows

Something my kids strangely love is eating lunch at the local elementary schools—they have a free summer lunch program for ages 1 to 18. Maybe it's the novelty of a cafeteria atmosphere? I also like not having to make lunches at home those days.

Erica in OR

We always kick off summer with a Memorial weekend camping trip with the grandparents -- it's local so the kiddos stay overnight with them in their camper while DH and I have the evenings free! We all spend the days/meals at the lake together.

Cheap summer reruns at the theater.

VBS and church camp for the kiddos.

Annual Great Wolf Lodge trip!

Watermelon, strawberries, blueberries.

A trip to the beach (or two or three) and the aquarium.

Slip 'n slide. :D

Swimming.  Catching lightning bugs.  Water play in the backyard.  Camping.  Hitting the beach.  Movie nights (outside).  Our town's weekly outdoor concerts.  

Lightning bugs!  Oh!  The lightning bugs are *such* a big part of summer that DS made an app about catching them!   It is sooooo cool, just the sounds alone make me ready for summer!  I posted about that here a while ago, that it was one of his projects for school!  Our whole family got into making it.  We love, love, love lightning bugs.   :)   It's a free app, but I've never posted a link or anything here, I don't want to violate rules.  Is it okay to post something like that that our kids make?  It's a free app.  I'm dying to share the sounds alone with anyone who loves catching lightning bugs at night... It makes me smile. 

I'd love to see the lightning bug app! 

Our favorites - visiting the rivers and lakes and spending the day playing, swimming and relaxing, bike rides on the local bike path, getting ice cream at the local ice cream stand (yum!), grilling out, making s'mores, going to the beach when we visit our home state, gardening, eating tomato sandwiches (yum!), so much.....

Swimming, camping. Our house doesn't stay cool (come deep summer well be pushing 95 easy inside). We usually nap/rest/read for a time in the heat of the day then three kids stay up until 10:30-11 (unless we make it to the pool). Whenever it starts to really get dark.

We do fun science. Explore the ponds un the pasture (well, normally we would do this, but due to the drought there are NO ponds).

We plan to bake mud bricks and build a pyramid outside.

Build a working catapult. Practice shooting.

And possibly getting a puppy. :-)

Harvest

And hopefully (we go next week) my dh is planning to donate part of his liver. That will put us in the city for awhile...

Something my kids strangely love is eating lunch at the local elementary schools—they have a free summer lunch program for ages 1 to 18. Maybe it's the novelty of a cafeteria atmosphere? I also like not having to make lunches at home those days.

My dd loves this too!

For us, summer is the busy time. We spend a lot of time away from home soaking up free a/c since we don't have a/c {our house is set up for a/c, but the system is non-functional :( }. For us, that means lots of time at the library, thrift shops, walmart, etc. We haven't really done movies - I need to look into that this year.

It's funny - our rest / down time is Winter. When it's cold, we stay home, relax with a nice cup of hot chocolate or tea, watch movies, play board games & do lots of read-alouds. I work on the house {if it's not too cold}.

Lots of park days and time with friends.  Sweet-pea is going to girl scout camp for the first time this year and Boo Boo has a week long day camp.  Boo Boo is also participating in a local parks gardening club for the summer.   Sweet-pea wants to audition for a few musicals so rehearsals will also likely be a big part of the summer. 

I LOVE all things summer. LOVE.

During the week, we go swimming in our lake, hanging out with friends, hike, and visit local parks (city, county, state, national).

We try to do a few day trips to Portland, Tacoma, and Seattle:  museums, zoos, baseball games, water/amusement parks...

The kids do a few camps. DS12 goes to Boy Scout camp for a week. There is VBS. And DD8 is doing a volleyball camp this year.

And we try to do a family road trip every year as well. Last year we went to the high desert near Bend, OR. This year we are looking at the Channelled Scablands of eastern WA.