Menu

Foods that would turn anyone into a glutton (aka The "I don't want cupcakes or candy, I want this!" thread)

mirth

This blog post for a nut-seed encrusted seafood salad filled enchanted avocado thing months ago haunts me. I really can't seem to get it off my mind.  It's just, just so exquisite and dreamy.  I think about it sometimes when I am driving or when it's quiet, or when I'm starting to get hungry, or when I'm typing, or really anytime.

Please add more.  I hope the inspired foods discussed in this thread will take over your waking thoughts.  Foods that you would consider selling your car for. 

http://luxirare.com/imitation-of-nature/

JALAPEÑO POPPER CHICKEN SOUP WITH BACON

And mine:

Artichoke Dip

8 oz mayo
8 oz parmesan cheese
Throw in a bowl
8 oz chopped artichoke hearts (or quarters)
1 sm can diced chilis (use juice)
1 sm can chopped olives
Mix all up
Put in a Pyrex pie pan
Throw some shredded cheddar cheese on top
Heat until cheese melts

Bread Pudding
 1 10 oz. Loaf stale French bread, crumbled (or 6-8 cups any type bread)
4 cups milk
2 cups sugar
8 tbsp butter, melted
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup raisins
1 cup coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
Combine all ingredients. Mixture should be very moist but not soupy. Pour into buttered 9†X 12†baking dish or larger. Place into non-preheated oven. Bake at 350 degrees for approx 1 hour and 15 minutes, until top is golden brown. Serve warm with sauce.
*cover with sugar to caramelize

Whiskey Sauce (For Bread Pudding)
8 Tbsp. butter (1 stick)
1 ½ cup powdered sugar
Cream butter and sugar over medium heat until all butter is absorbed.
 2 egg yolks
 Remove from heat and blend in egg yolk.
 Â½ cup bourbon (to taste)
Pour in bourbon to your own taste, stirring constantly. Sauce will thicken as it cools. Serve warm over bread pudding.
*Note: For a variety of sauces, just substitute your favorite fruit juice or liqueur to compliment your bread pudding.

Cheesy Crab Dip
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup light mayo
1/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
¼ tsp garlic salt
Combine in large bowl
 Â¾ pound of imitation crabmeat
Fold crabmeat in mixture
Spoon mixture evenly into 9 inch pie plate prepared with nonstick cooking spray.
Sprinkle 6 tablespoons grated parmesan evenly over top.
Bake 350 for 25 to 30 minutes until lightly browned. Cool slightly.

Chipotle Flourless Chocolate Cake
Preheat oven to 350. Line bottom of 9 ½ inch pan with a circle of parchment paper. Grease sides and parchment with butter or non-stick cooking spray.
10 oz semisweet chocolate (roughly chopped)
7 tablespoons unsalted butter (cut into pieces)
Melt together, stirring occasionally until smooth
5 large eggs (room temperature)
1 cup sugar
Wisk eggs and sugar together, slowly stirring in melted chocolate.
Add
½ tsp cinnamon
¾ tsp chipotle chili powder
Dash of cayenne pepper
Pinch of salt
Pour into pan, bake for 22-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Let cool completely.
Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)

Crawfish Etouffee
1 cup flour
1 cup oil
Add flour to hot oil to make a dark, chocolate colored roux, stirring constantly.
2 tsp Joe’s Stuff seasoning blend
4 cups chopped onions
2 cups chopped celery
1 cup chopped green pepper
1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
Add seasoning blend to roux, along with onions, celery, green pepper, and garlic.
2 cups chicken stock or flavored water
Get chicken stock piping hot, and stir in roux gradually until blended well. Cook for 20 minutes over medium heat.
2 lbs crawfish tails
Add crawfish, and cook an additional 10 minutes. If desired, chopped green onions and parsley may be added 5 minutes before serving.
*also, bay leaves and rotel tomatoes may be added
*If you are using chicken, sausage, etc, brown it first. When you set it aside use the pot with the seasoning in it to start the roux.

Open-Faced Peach Pie
Crust-
2 cups flour
1 tsp sugar
¼ tsp salt
¾ cup lard
Mix
1 egg
1 tsp vinigar
¼ cup cold water
Mix all
Wrap and refrigerate overnight

Pie-
1/3 cup flour
¼ cup butter
1 cup sugar
Mix
Spread dough in pan and sprinkle ½ of mixture
Lay 12 peach halves over crust
Sprinkle ½ of mixture
Sprinkle nutmeg over peaches
4 tablespoons water over crust
Bake at 400 for 30 minutes

Pralines
1 ½ cup sugar
¾ cup light brown sugar, packed
½ cup milk
6 tbsp butter (3/4 stick)
1 ½ cup pecans, (roasted optional) (use pieces)
1 tsp vanilla
Combine all ingredients and bring to a “softball stage†(238-240 degrees), stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
Stir until mixture thickens, becomes creamy and cloudy, and pecans stay suspended in mixture.
Spoon out on buttered waxed paper, aluminum foil or parchment paper. When using waxed paper, be sure to buffer with newspaper underneath, as hot wax will transfer to whatever is beneath.

Note: To roast pecans, bake them on a sheet pan at 275 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until slightly browned and fragrant.
*When you place a spoonful into a glass of water it sticks to the side.
Options: Praline sauce (add ½ cup corn syrup to mixture.) Chocolate covered praline candy. Flavored pralines (chocolate, coffee, brandy, etc.)

I'm supposed to get a list of freezer meals together for a board member but I've been flaking. Maybe I'll get to that this week...

Here in SC you can find bacon, lettuce, and fried green tomato sandwiches in restaurants. It makes me happy.

This is genius! I won't rest until I make one!

As for gluttonous food cravings, I think my Chipotle problem has been well documented. I like sweets, but savory is what I dream of.

This is genius! I won't rest until I make one!

As for gluttonous food cravings, I think my Chipotle problem has been well documented. I like sweets, but savory is what I dream of.

The restaurant that makes my favorite has a cookbook.

http://www.amazon.com/Sobys-South-Cuisine-Rodney-Freidank/dp/0979794501/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398451785&sr=8-1&keywords=soby%27s

I am not sure if the sandwich is in the book but their fried green tomato recipe is. That is what really matters. *L It is a fancy restaurant that has a little side deli that serves sandwiches, soups, and salads. I prefer the little deli, it is cheap and  I would really rather have a sandwich. *L

Right now I'd be willing to hitchhike to Santa Fe or Taos or even Albuquerque for some decent green chile chicken enchiladas and one of those piping hot sopapillas drizzled with honey....sure I can make enchiladas here but not sopapillas...and maybe some carne adovada from Sadie's...I can't duplicate that either.

I could handle some authentic (eastern) North Carolina BBQ too.  With slaw.

*sigh*

There used to be a restaurant near Orlando called Houston's which had a chopped chicken salad with honey lime vinaigrette and peanut sauce which I loved.  I hate salad.  I would sell my children for this salad.

This is how I feel about dh's glutton free cheesecake which he perfected just for me.

He accidently had a pie spill over in the oven at the same time he was baking my cheesecake Easter weekend. My cheesecake ended up REEKING of scorch, smoke smell and taste. It was very hard NOT to come unglued and have a little baby fit over it. I was soooooooooooo desperately craving that cheesecake.

Hmmm...me thinks he owes me one this weekend WITHOUT the scorch, smoke contamination.

Oh DH, wherefore art thou????????

Right now I'd be willing to hitchhike to Santa Fe or Taos or even Albuquerque for some decent green chile chicken enchiladas and one of those piping hot sopapillas drizzled with honey....sure I can make enchiladas here but not sopapillas...and maybe some carne adovada from Sadie's...I can't duplicate that either.

I could handle some authentic (eastern) North Carolina BBQ too. With slaw.

*sigh*

OMGosh

I'd take green chile anything right now. And carne adovada from Los Cuates.

One time, i had Seared Scallops with Lemon Caper Sauce at a local restaurant named Mealies. It was so good, I almost wet my pants. The Raspberry Truffle Martini also did not hurt. I have dreamed of that meal for years. The restaurant, sadly, closed down.

Thank you for this thread.  The food I dream of and miss so much is the chicken salad from Tao Tao, a Chinese restaurant in Sunnyvale, CA.  I haven't tasted this since I moved from CA almost 17 years ago, but I miss it and have looked for the recipe off and on.   Apparently not recently enough, though, because thanks to this thread I googled again and the recipe is found!

Can't wait to make this! 

Fresh Roasted Potato Bread made with a cup of sourdough. Toasted. With butter. And a shake of kosher salt. 

Dark chocolate gelato (or custard) filled with chopped dark chocolate peanut butter cups...or maybe a really good vanilla ice cream topped with amaretto and toasted almonds. 

We are tickled pink when our 3-year-old eats an entire cup of mac and cheese.  

But, on Tuesday she ate an entire SOLID Dove Chocolate bunny about 4" tall.  That bunny was heavy.  When I said, "You ate the whole thing?"  She got this dreamy smile.  So, I guess my vote is for Dove chocolate.  

Fresh Roasted Potato Bread made with a cup of sourdough. Toasted. With butter. And a shake of kosher salt. 

Dark chocolate gelato (or custard) filled with chopped dark chocolate peanut butter cups...or maybe a really good vanilla ice cream topped with amaretto and toasted almonds. 

Potato bread? That sounds yummy.

That reminds me, in upstate NY you can get something called Salt-Rising Bread.  IMHO, there's nothing better than having that toasted with butter.  Yum.

Once I had panna cotta with strawberries in a balsamic vinegar glaze and fresh basil leaves.  It was FANTASTIC.  I was making such a deal over how good it was that dh gave me most of his half.  In fact, he looked a tad jealous of the desert. 

That restaurant has closed, darn it.

There was a restaurant in Miami (can't remember the name, sadly) that had Beer Cheese soup that was to die for.

There is a restaurant in Atlanta (Local Three, in case anyone here is interested) that fries Brussel Sprouts in duck fat.  I swear the first time I took a bite of one of those the entire world of all things good and wonderful enveloped my like my own little personal cloud of happiness.  I couldn't even hear anyone talk anymore.  They make me swoon.

Oh, and Faraci's Pizza in St. Louis.  I've been known to drive hours out of my way just to go get some.  I can't explain it, but if I were on Death Row, that would be my last meal, for sure. 

Laureen's in Falmouth, MA has the best veggie burger I have ever tasted.  It is more heavily chickpeas than anything and then there are fresh greens and veggies all over it.  I haven't had one in several years and I miss it!

Just Googled and the restaurant is now closed.  :(

Even though I haven't been there for decades, I still think about the scrambled eggs at this diner I used to frequent in Chicago. They cooked the eggs with the steamer wand on the espresso machine, and they were magnificent.

I just Googled the place to see if it's still there; it is, but it seems to have become considerably more upscale (I suspect they wouldn't care to be called a "diner" these days). And I did try cooking my eggs that way at home. It did not go well. 

non-sugary food that I will gorge on if given the opportunity?

sushi.  (I've learned the very hard and painful way - do not gorge on sushi.  rice expands in your stomach.)

copper river sockeye cooked in butter and lemon over a low fire.  (what are leftovers?)

spanakopita - I double it in my 14 x 18

(and in that vein - no matter how much I try to control myself, I can't stop with my baklava.  I make really good baklava.  even better than mil's aunt.  actually, I've never had baklava I consider as good as mine.  I've a killer recipe from the greek festival - and I did some tweaking.)

The first thing that come to mind is a mushroom bisque soup we had in San Diego many, many years ago. The place was known for it's steak, but I didn't care. I could have eaten a gallon of that soup; the other food just stood in my way of more soup. If I could order it and have it sent to TN I would.

Care to share the restaurant, if it's still around?

My gluttonous foods are my Mom's cabbage rolls, baked perogies, and sweet n sour meatballs. Which, I guess were actually my Grandma's recipes. YUM

I don't know if this would turn *everyone* into a glutton, but I singlehandedly polished off the sizeable bowl of tsatziki that was leftover after the Easter roasted lamb was gone. Y'all can probably smell, right through the interwebs, the garlic oozing from my pores.

Wish there was more. I could eat it every day.

Is anyone, besides me, crafting their own fantasy menu for the day from this thread? Now I am also obsessing about Brussel sprouts fried in duck fat. I'm gonna be bold and try several of the things mentioned here sans recipe.

I like all the honest and lush descriptors of memories of the best food invoking emotions somewhere between yearning, melancholy and delirium. Sometimes I can feel your pain. (Thanks, all). This is what cookbooks should be all about. Keep 'em coming.

Hands down, best ever Philly cheesesteak was on a cruise. OH, and the sandwiches at the king's castle at Renn Fest.. just like a philly, but no cheese and on a whole wheat bun. YUM. Or maybe mezzaluna ravioli from Olive Garden w/ the white/wine sauce.

Crap, now I want a cupcake with no icing. (dreaming of all that salty stuff, I have to have something sweet to balance it out)