Menu

What subjects, if any, will you continue over the summer?

Do you plan on doing some work over the summer? Do you not take a break then at all? 

We will be taking a break for June, July and part of August, but both boys will be continuing Math and Latin over the summer. About an hour a day total, I think, except for days that they have camp.

I always plan on working on some things through the summer. But between camps, travel, other activities and my own need for time off, the reality never comes close to the vision. Hoping this year to keep up with math and Greek. I'm thinking about having them do a class online with AOPS for the accountability!

We don't really differentiate summer from the rest of the year for learning. But I do work outside the home more in the summer, so we don't have as many planned lesson type things. We will likely continue our "formal" math and LA program 2-3 days a week when I am home, they usually request it that often. We will take advantage of 3 summer reading programs, and the girls will be required to read themselves for this credit, so we should get a lot of reading practice. One of the programs also has "classes" so they will get some additional literature study in. We do an intensive "plant science unit" - meaning we have a large family garden that we work and learn in on a regular basis throughout the summer. I am hoping we get some social studies/history/geography done through a trip to St. Louis, and maybe a trip down south to Georgia and Florida, lots of good field trip opportunities.

I also hope to work on a walking/running program for phys ed. :). so we can walk to the park and library instead of driving.

Math, but not a full curriculum. We would do things like xtramath.com or math games on the ipad. My ds9 tends to forget facts very quickly, so we would do math to maintain and not move ahead.

Reading. It's taken a loooong time for my kids to finally get the hang of reading for enjoyment. (Until last month they saw it solely as a chore.) I don't want to stop the momentum. I will be doing read alouds and having quiet reading time every day. They don't naturally gravitate toward books on their own, so I'll need to tell them to do it.

History. We adore history around here, but there just wasn't enough time for the fun books from the library or videos during the school year. During the summer, we're going to read things like the "You wouldn't want to be a ...whatever" books and watch videos and movies from this past time period in history (Medieval.)

We'll also do a few little things I'd like to toss in for good measure but don't have time for during the regular school year. Like, I'd like to study a little bit about cultural geography, or study a single shakespeare play, or work on some critical thinking/logic books, or start looking into an SAT prep book (for my rising 7th grader.)

Other than the reading, I don't expect the above things to take more than 2 hours a day, and maybe not even 5 days a week. Just enough to keep the brain active during the summer.

We take 2 to 3 weeks off, then usually math for my daughter and phonics for my son once or twice a week.  This year I will also do a bit of math for my son, he is right in the middle of learning his multiplication facts.  To make it fair, I will do a bit of language arts or Latin with my daughter over the summer as well, but I would not otherwise.

Math for sure for all. Reading work for the youngest (still mastering that). One of my twins made one of the big mistakes and claimed that Canada was part of the US sooo,.. US geography crash course for them. Dd made the same mistake at their age and had the same response.

We will take a week off at the beginning and at the end, but in between, we do math (LoF for the older two though different books and continuing SM or doing Miquon for the youngest boy), copy work as to prevent pencil-phobia from setting in, and read alouds (usually we do family audiobooks so I think this summer will be the second LotR book plus dh usually reads still at bedtime).

History, Latin, Math, Reading, Grammar and some Writing. Organic Gardening, Swimming, and Summer Camp as well as a few mini field trips and family visits. Hopefully we can go camping at the Garden of the Gods too. I will teach VBS too for 1 week again :) Our school work and testing as needed. I get a break when the garden needs major work but that is going to be our Science along with a new book : The World of Plants.

I wont formally do school this summer for the first time since we are adding a new little guy in the mix, but I do let my kids earn video game time by doing extra math, reading, handwriting, and piano :)

or start looking into an SAT prep book (for my rising 7th grader.)

Yipes, that's probably a good idea that I had not yet thought of. We have a subject called General Skills, where I toss any stuff like fire safety, logic, facts practice, etc. Tossing some SAT prep in there occasionally sounds like a really good idea. I am hoping to have some speakers come to the local homeschool group in the next few years, since we have a lot of middle grade kids now, in hopes of getting some more info about high school and college planning.

We will be done for the year before Memorial Day, and we do not take the whole summer off. From Memorial Day until early July, we will do reading only, and then in early July, we will start adding subjects back in, a few days a week (alternating with tennis days, because everyone's too tired and hot to think after tennis), and we will be back to full blast in early August. So we will have logged 30-40 days before September. Yesterday was our 180th day, but since, especially with a new baby, there have been days when not many subjects got accomplished, we will keep going for another month after being off for Easter for the next couple of weeks.

Reading books is a given, but besides that math, ILL, history, science, nature study, Spanish, and a week dedicated to study skills. I'm playing with the idea of taking off three weeks late August to September. Cleaning house would be important then. We are taking off three weeks during Christmas break as well.

The idea of September appeals to me as kids are in school then and places to go will be quieter.

I'll do math, but it will be more worksheet drill to cement skills than real teaching.

I expect her to continue reading on her own time.

I'm probably going to keep up handwriting, because I don't want her to get rusty.

She'll still have piano lessons and have to practice daily.

She's going to summer camp every day, and I expect her to come home pretty exhausted, so we really won't have time for much.  But we actually did a bunch of schoolwork in the evenings last year, and it worked out very well, so I know that we can get some stuff done.

I like Garga's idea of adding fun stuff in during the summer that we didn't get to during the school year!

We have been schooling pretty much steadily for 3 years now...and I'm tired. We are taking the summer off this year! My oldest will keep working in math maybe one day a week. My son (who is just taking off now in blending and reading) will do phonics 1-2 days a week. But that's it! I'm not doing anything else!

I was hoping we wouldn't need to do any school this summer, but after having taken several vacations, we really need to put in some summer hours for me to feel we've done enough. Sigh.

Ds and I have been discussing what to do, and I think it's going to be fun. We'll do some literature and lit analysis (sitting out in the sun! on hikes in the woods!) and he is tentatively planning to do an online chemistry class and get a head start with that over the summer. Probably do some math as well and just enough foreign language to keep it fresh.

We are finishing our official school year next week, after that we will be continuing with math (both) and reading practice for dd. The enjoyment of good books, discussions, documentaries/educational shows, nature and field trips will continue. 

Starting in June we will be doing daily Math including lessons & drill plus reading.  We recently started a journal.  I write to my ds and he writes me back each day. Currently I require a minimum of 3 sentences.  We'll continue this during the summer mostly because I enjoy it so much but also to continue working on writing skills.

Out of the 12 weeks I call summer, 6 are not otherwise spoken for. We will do math, foreign languages (Spanish and Latin), a skotch of writing, and a drawing program I couldn't fit in during the year.

The last 3 or 4 weeks we will start up world history, we like it and the book has more chapters than we can do in a year.

We take a break from all formal schoolwork for about 10 weeks in the summer. My kids always do tons of reading, and we will continue to speak in French (and read & watch movies in French), but we will take a break from studying it formally.

We will spend time at the pool, at the beach, and we have 3 weeks of summer camps. The rest of the time is theirs. My oldest will probably spend a lot of time writing and practicing her instrument. She and her brother are both doing summer swim team, and I'll probably plan a lot of play dates for the younger kids. We really need the downtime in the summer.

We will take all of May off this year traveling. Then there is swim team and camps. I plan to do Math and a little Latin through the summer. They read all the time but I plan to have a summer reading list this year for them to choose from and to direct them a bit. They continue piano through the summer and oldest just started Scouts and is excited about working on those requirements. We'll probably start school again in mid-August. 

We will be continuing everything but not everyday. I thought we would back up on the math (1-2 pages of MM instead of 3-4 daily) and then rotate a lesson from their grammar, or a spelling lesson, do science experiments and history projects from the SOTW Activity guide that we missed, do some different writing assignments and maybe poetry picnics instead of tea time. Basically, a little math everyday and then make it a goal to focus on something different for an hour or so every day, but not all day. I'm not going to worry about how much curriculum we cover or if we do 3 writing assignments and no science one week. We also will be doing Violin camp and a garden club, reading group at the library and art camp, so quite a lot.

We don't break for summer, we break for three weeks when Caboose Boy finishes a unit.  We also take time off when we travel, which is likely to happy two or three times this year.  Of course, summer is also packed with activities so many days are "lighter" than the usual, but not officially. (I set out the work for the day before I leave for work.  When a day has been crazy, the books that didn't get done are added to the next day's books and we catch up on the weekend if we need to.)

We go year-round, but will be changing up a few things. This year, it looks like she'll be working on Spanish and a course on the hero in ancient Greece with Harari College Worldwide (online), doing 3 weeks of art camp (1.5 hours a day), keeping her hand in with algebra doing a couple of Key to Algebra books, finishing up this year's physical science, and doing a bit of vocabulary and grammar (Daily Grams, Vocabulary from Classical Roots, maybe adding in Editor-in-Chief).

Good topic, Halcyon!

We have been doing light days in the summer. Last year we took August off.

This summer we will do half day before lunch until end of June. Then math every day, Latin and Chinese alternate days. They love free writing, so they can keep doing that as a hobby, not as required subject. Then we take first half of August off and then start school in mid August to get two weeks in before we take family vacation for 10 days or more to Washington D. C. when everyone's back to school.

We take an entire month off in the summer.  Usually, by the end of the third week we are looking forward to adding a little something back in, but we do take a complete 4 week rest from any academics.  The other two months of summer we do subjects like grammar,  math review, head start on history and other subjects that we think of as fun!  We just keep it at 2-3 hours as well.  A lighter more relaxed load and pace.

Working on math facts only, no other formal math but lots of math games and phonics. Ds is almost done phonics pathways so I don't want to stop and pick it up in a month or so. I'd rather finish it and have him read to me daily. Dd is just starting to really have blending click so I feel like if we stop she'll lose it. So I'll stop with her once 3 letter words are down good.

My high schooler will continue math over the summer. She's a bit behind, finishing up Pre-Algebra this year, so she decided to "catch up" and start Algebra 1 in June. She's also going to be taking a Summer Intensive Lit analysis class through Currclick. 

My twins I only require to read daily and play a few math games on the computer. Sometimes we do a fun unit study or something, but they really "need" a school break, so I don't push it. They also practice their music (guitar and drums) for 4-5 hours a day. 

We are doing all subjects all summer, too. This is my first semester, and I have had health problems, so I feel somewhat behind. I thought we might do more French and art than we usually do, but I'm not sure yet. I am rather looking forward to it as this is getting more fun every day. Also, I can bribe Kevin with going to the pool all summer! Seriously, there is too much great science, too much great literature to miss three whole months.