Menu

so excited for the conference! and yet so disappointed!

I have been looking forward to the upcoming conference since last year. I didn't go last year and really missed being able to hear the speakers and view materials.

The workshop schedule is finally out, and as I reviewed it I became increasingly disappointed! Nearly every workshop had some focus on God. While I AM a Christian, and this colors how and what I teach my children, and we do teach Bible study and memorize scripture, I expected more from a homeSCHOOL conference. I expected to be able to go and get advice on academics (and perhaps I still will!) not religious instruction. I'm really disappointed!

What do those of you who are secular do? our are most homeschooling conferences like this?

Are you talking about the Cincy conference?  Or another conference?

Actually, the two big conferences I went to did have a lot of Christian oriented workshops/speakers but there were also speakers that covered approaches to math (not all were curriculum pushers, just sharing ideas on general approaches, which was nice) and some were talking about handling kids with learning challenges or areas of academic weakness, and others were talking about organization of your homeschool, etc.

I am with you, I go to a homeschool conference primarily for educational ideas.   I need a good balance.

I hear you on that! We too are Christians (pretty conservative ones at that!). We do Bible every day, memorize verses, use primarily Christian curriculum, etc. But when I go to a home school convention, I want to learn about homeschooling - how to be more a more effective teacher in academic subjects, how to use specific curriculums, tips and strategies for organization, stuff like that. And yet, our convention seems to be leaning more and more towards spiritual topics and parenting issues as well. I don't mind a workshop or two on those subjects but that's not why I go! It frustrates me. If I need spiritual advice I'll read my Bible and pray, or talk to my DH or Christian friends and family. Or I'll find a conference to go to that's specifically for spiritual growth. Let's keep the homeschool conferences about SCHOOL.

The Royal Fireworks Press conferences supply my fix. They may not have the crazy variety of the huge conventions, but they squeeze more academic focus into 2 days than I found at ENOCH or any of the other schedules I've looked at online.  And it's way more socially rewarding. For me and the kids.

are most homeschooling conferences like this?

Yes. But the one closest to me this summer that I'm looking at is also having a session on how to cloth diaper. I actually do CD Babypants, but when I saw that on the schedule it made me, just,  :huh:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I have been looking forward to the upcoming conference since last year. I didn't go last year and really missed being able to hear the speakers and view materials.

The workshop schedule is finally out, and as I reviewed it I became increasingly disappointed! Nearly every workshop had some focus on God. While I AM a Christian, and this colors how and what I teach my children, and we do teach Bible study and memorize scripture, I expected more from a homeSCHOOL conference. I expected to be able to go and get advice on academics (and perhaps I still will!) not religious instruction. I'm really disappointed!

What do those of you who are secular do? our are most homeschooling conferences like this?

Yup, sounds like what we have here. It's like they assume all homeschoolers are conservative, right wing and/or libertarian evangelical protestants. Drives me BONKERS. I want to wear a sign that says " I voted democrat and don't spank my kids" as I walk around, in the hopes that they realize not EVERYONE fits that stereotype. And heaven help you want to find a biology curriculum that teaches evolution. And yup, I'm Christian too. I'm just not a young earth protestant. I'm an old earth Catholic. At a convention with hundreds and hundreds of exhibitors there will be a total of ONE Catholic company. And secular will be hard to find too. 

And since those that don't fit the mold refuse to go to the convention anymore (can't blame them after the keynote speaker started insulting the President of the United States a few years ago), the people running the convention have no incentive to change. Tjhey figure "the only people that go to these things are just like us". Well yeah....cause you have made it uncomfortable for everyone else. 

My least favorite moment so far has been the booth that sells posters for punishments, where you can put little stickers of wooden spoons next to the offense, to show how many times the kid will get hit with one for that particular crime. Almost threw up in my mouth. 

What do those of you who are secular do?

I just quit going. It was clear that the organizers weren't interested in having people like me attend. One year they had a workshop on proselytizing that had some really offensive name (I think Confronting or Defeating was in the title). I liked hearing SWB, and I liked meeting with WTMers, but the conference itself offered me nothing, and the strife that surrounded the organizers, and their pettiness, did me in. The year they uninvited the Bravewriter lady because they didn't like some innocuous comment she made on her blog sealed the deal for me.

Like Carrie, I attended both of the Pennsylania Royal Fireworks Press conferences and fed my little academic self :)

This coming weekend I'm attending the VAHomeschoolers conference near Richmond http://vahomeschoolers.org/conference-2014/ SWB will be the keynote speaker and Julie Bogart (Brave Writer) will be a featured speaker. I am very excited for this secular alternative to the big conferences and the other state conferences which deal more with lifestyle than with academics :)

Yes. But the one closest to me this summer that I'm looking at is also having a session on how to cloth diaper. I actually do CD Babypants, but when I saw that on the schedule it made me, just,  :huh:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

My personal "are you kidding me" moment was when the "how to coupon" lady started having MULTIPLE sessions of talks, at a home"school" conference. As an exhibitor? Fine. but seriously, no talks on teaching higher level science at home, but 4 talks on couponing?

I'm headed to the Great Homeschool Conference at the end of this week in Greenville.  I am an atheist.  However, the conference is enormous.  I've gone through the speakers and the vendors and crossed out quite a bit - but there's still some left. I am looking forward to hearing Zaccaro, MCT, Weiss, Shelagh Gallagher and Kathy Kuhl speak.  I'm looking forward to some of the vendors too, including Royal Fireworks Press and Critical Thinking Company.  There's another conference not too far away from this one, the Teaching Them Diligently conference.  There is absolutely no way I would attend that one!  There's also a secular conference that I think may be in NC.  But looking at those speakers, there are less that I'm interested in.  So, going to a mostly religious conference - but a huge one - will actually give me more options than the secular conference.

I just quit going. It was clear that the organizers weren't interested in having people like me attend. One year they had a workshop on proselytizing that had some really offensive name (I think Confronting or Defeating was in the title). I liked hearing SWB, and I liked meeting with WTMers, but the conference itself offered me nothing, and the strife that surrounded the organizers, and their pettiness, did me in. The year they uninvited the Bravewriter lady because they didn't like some innocuous comment she made on her blog sealed the deal for me.

I'm so sorry. I hate to see the way bad behavior and exclusivity hurts good people.

I normally go {but only because I get in free at the local one held by FEAST}. It's ultra religious, and we are not at all. We skip a lot of workshops, only normally go for 1 of the 2 days, and use most of the time to weed out vendors / book choices. I can normally find ONE semi-secular workshop during each of the times if I try hard. If not, then we spent that time in the vendor hall.

Who uninvited her? What comment?

I'm lucky to live 20 minutes from the VA Homeschoolers conference, which ONLY talks about academics and homeschooling.  The organization was actually founded by a conservative christian, but made the group REALLY inclusive - they take no stance on religion or politics, aside from laws that directly affect homeschoolers - such as the "Tebow bill" they've been trying to pass, or curfew laws, etc . . . NOT things which vary according to your political values.  

I've also been tempted to go to the  mini-con in PA, but decided it wasnt worth it to me. I'm really sad that I probably only have 1 more year of homeschooling left, and wont have an excuse to go to the VA Homeschoolers conference any more.

Are you talking about the Cincy conference? Or another conference?

I am with you, I go to a homeschool conference primarily for educational ideas. I need a good balance.

Nope, not Cincy.

I preview the list of speakers at our local conference and have a pre-determined schedule for who I want to see, and I follow that. I pass on those who offer nothing of academic value. If I want religion, I'll talk to my pastor or read my Bible; I'm not going to worship at the religious alter some random homeschooling mom who is speaking based only on her religious bent.

I agree!

I hear you on that! We too are Christians (pretty conservative ones at that!). We do Bible every day, memorize verses, use primarily Christian curriculum, etc. But when I go to a home school convention, I want to learn about homeschooling - how to be more a more effective teacher in academic subjects, how to use specific curriculums, tips and strategies for organization, stuff like that. And yet, our convention seems to be leaning more and more towards spiritual topics and parenting issues as well. I don't mind a workshop or two on those subjects but that's not why I go! It frustrates me. If I need spiritual advice I'll read my Bible and pray, or talk to my DH or Christian friends and family. Or I'll find a conference to go to that's specifically for spiritual growth. Let's keep the homeschool conferences about SCHOOL.

I agree!

Yes. But the one closest to me this summer that I'm looking at is also having a session on how to cloth diaper. I actually do CD Babypants, but when I saw that on the schedule it made me, just, :huh: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ahhh! Why is this included? !

My least favorite moment so far has been the booth that sells posters for punishments, where you can put little stickers of wooden spoons next to the offense, to show how many times the kid will get hit with one for that particular crime. Almost threw up in my mouth.

Can we not think of a better way to discipline? !

My personal "are you kidding me" moment was when the "how to coupon" lady started having MULTIPLE sessions of talks, at a home"school" conference. As an exhibitor? Fine. but seriously, no talks on teaching higher level science at home, but 4 talks on couponing?

This is about how I feel when looking at the schedule this year! Where are the academics?

I must admit after reading the descriptions of the various seminars at my local homeschool conference I thought of starting a thread of the weirdest seminar topics.... but I thought it would go bad very quickly.

I think you should anyway! Could be fun :-)

Don't forget these!

http://welltrainedmind.com/mini-conferences-with-susan-wise-bauer-and-jim-weiss/

The mini-conferences hope to expand slowly with more speakers and locations plus vending tables.

I wish some of these were closer to me!

the one we are attending is 4 hours away, and it is the closest. we also have the advantage of having family in the city ( free room and board and built in childcare)

Yup, sounds like what we have here. It's like they assume all homeschoolers are conservative, right wing and/or libertarian evangelical protestants. Drives me BONKERS. I want to wear a sign that says " I voted democrat and don't spank my kids" as I walk around, in the hopes that they realize not EVERYONE fits that stereotype. And heaven help you want to find a biology curriculum that teaches evolution. And yup, I'm Christian too. I'm just not a young earth protestant. I'm an old earth Catholic. At a convention with hundreds and hundreds of exhibitors there will be a total of ONE Catholic company. And secular will be hard to find too. 

I DO fit that stereotype (except I'm not sure I want to call myself "right-wing") but it's precisely because I can examine all sides of an issue and decide for myself! I don't need or want three days' worth of propaganda shoved down my throat. Maybe that's an unfair assessment, but that's what it feels like to me. We just decided to homeschool last summer, so I had missed all the conferences, and I was SO disappointed when the info came out for this year's. I had been really looking forward to learning more about academics and improving myself as a teacher! I couldn't believe how many of the speakers/workshops focused on "lifestyle" issues instead of actual school topics. Even our state conference is like this. Why must everything have an agenda???

Like Carrie, I attended both of the Pennsylania Royal Fireworks Press conferences and fed my little academic self :)

This coming weekend I'm attending the VAHomeschoolers conference near Richmond http://vahomeschoolers.org/conference-2014/ SWB will be the keynote speaker and Julie Bogart (Brave Writer) will be a featured speaker. I am very excited for this secular alternative to the big conferences and the other state conferences which deal more with lifestyle than with academics :)

Me too!!!!! I CANNOT wait!!

I'm headed to the Great Homeschool Conference at the end of this week in Greenville.  I am an atheist.  However, the conference is enormous.  I've gone through the speakers and the vendors and crossed out quite a bit - but there's still some left. I am looking forward to hearing Zaccaro, MCT, Weiss, Shelagh Gallagher and Kathy Kuhl speak.  I'm looking forward to some of the vendors too, including Royal Fireworks Press and Critical Thinking Company.  There's another conference not too far away from this one, the Teaching Them Diligently conference.  There is absolutely no way I would attend that one!  There's also a secular conference that I think may be in NC.  But looking at those speakers, there are less that I'm interested in.  So, going to a mostly religious conference - but a huge one - will actually give me more options than the secular conference.

Do you know what/where this is? I haven't found anything in NC except the state conference, which doesn't appear secular to me. I would love to know more if you have any details.

What an amazing looking homeschool conference!

I started homeschooling 6 years ago. I went to my first conference and loved it. At each session time there was ONE option for a Christian or family topic in addition to I believe 5 education topics. Two full days of one hour sessions, I learned so much! The next year was not quite as good, but was still ok. The following year, really focused on classical education and had a decidedly more Christian tone. SWB was keynote and I hung out in all her sessions (I believe I listed to her speak for 7 hours that weekend). I had a great time, but the tone was concerning. The last two years have been really blah.

Every year the vendor fair gets smaller. Every year the speakers get more off the topic of education and more into my private life, be it my Christian walk (I am a Christian) or how I raise my kids or cook my food or what supplements I take - sheesh! Every year fewer people come and everyone I know fills out a survey and says can we please have a convention about home EDUCATION. This year I really debated going. As it turns out there are two vendors I really do want to talk to and I much prefer to do it there than on the phone. I will only be there one day and I may not stay the whole day. I don't know if I will bother going to any sessions at all or just going through the vendor hall and visiting with some friends I don't see very often outside of the conference.

Sad.

We have a 1/2 academic stuff and 1/2 family parenting/ values orientated convention.  I REALLY wish there would be more talks on how to homeschool high school.  A lot of our high school talks focus on the college option we have around here where Juniors and Seniors can go to college full time. I just want to know how to grade/write a lab report!  Or how to grade papers and homework!  What do you do if your teen decides to not work to their potential?  How do you get in their interests when you want to give them the opportunity to get into a college if they so decide.   Meaty stuff.  I don't need to be convinced my culture is out to get me.  I don't need to know how to parent my child.  I just want an academic focus.  I mostly go because it's a chance to hang out with my friends and get away from my regular life.  My friend and I never make it to the main speaker on the first night.  We'd rather have a relaxing night in the hotel. If it was only for the convention, I'm not sure it would be worth it.

Beth

[quote name="ktgrok" post="5537969" timestamp="139506

It's like they assume all homeschoolers are conservative, right wing and/or libertarian evangelical protestants.

This basically describes me. But it's not why I go to a homeschool convention. The first year I went was awesome. Since then it's less and less academically based. Last year I went to a workshop about what to do with preschoolers while doing school with the older kids. My son was 3 and I was losing my mind. I thought I'd get some great tips from a veteran home school mom but the whole thing ended up being about how "now's the time to teach good character". I already knew that. In fact, I'm pretty sure most parents would agree that teaching and modelling good character is something we should *always* be doing - not just when our kids are 3 and 4.

This year's line up intrigues me. Voddie Bauchman is the keynote speaker and there's someone else speaking about how important it is to send kids to secular colleges. That to me is about as opposite as it gets. And this isn't a huge convention either. I've never heard Voddie Bauchman speak or read of any of his books so I don't know much about him except that I think he's patriarchal. And they don't send their kids to college at all - much less a secular one. I don't know if I'll go to his sessions or not. Maybe I will just so I can decide for myself what I think of him instead of getting my information second hand.

Guess I'll write on the questionnaire at the end, ....again.... "Please include more workshops on items pertaining to SCHOOL and less on spiritual issues/parenting."

My hubby and I just had a long conversation about how I wanted a conference about education so I could learn and educate myself. I want to augment my own education and learn how to be a better teacher. I haven't found any conference near me that fits this criteria. Sigh. I don't mind some encouraging sessions or even a few on parenting topics. But I want education topics to be the main focus.

I am a Christian, but don't want to get to a conference and hear all about the Bible and my role.... I pretty much know my role.  

I need more encouragement in not giving up, how to juggle pre-school and High School, what to do if one hates Math or Latin.... details.... and of course I am selling a whole lot of books this weekend! 

I have a Huge booth to look at new and used curriculum.  I am mainly looking for Math for next year and maybe some educational games.

Someone one here posted about getting secular curriculum so they could not get mixed up in different viewpoints while teaching English or Math or whatever!

I find it easier to talk about my World View while studying History and reading good books, and discussing what the sermon or Sunday School class was about.

Yes I was disappointed to hustle in to listen to 1 speaker that only talked about the Bible last year..... I got an overview of the curriculum at a Mother's Tea from a CC member!.  

I'm lucky to live 20 minutes from the VA Homeschoolers conference, which ONLY talks about academics and homeschooling.  The organization was actually founded by a conservative christian, but made the group REALLY inclusive - they take no stance on religion or politics, aside from laws that directly affect homeschoolers - such as the "Tebow bill" they've been trying to pass, or curfew laws, etc . . . NOT things which vary according to your political values.  

Anybody going to VaHomeschoolers this weekend know if there's a WTM meet-up? I haven't seen anything...

Folks who are going to VaHomeschoolers this weekend, please stop by the Exhibit Hall and say hello to me! I'm going to have a table for my homeschool-focused clinical psychology practice - my first time vending at a large conference like this. It would be awesome to see some friendly faces.  :-)

We've gone to our local conference just for the vendor hall and used curriculum sale. Not one of the speakers held any interest to me and most of them were parenting and religion related rather than academic. Even in the vendor hall it's hit or miss, mostly miss. At one booth aimed at homeschooling special needs, instead of offering me help with my inquiries I was told repeatedly and loudly, with much fervor, how God has a special plan for my son. Aside from embarrassing my son and I by the crowd of gawkers she attracted, she did absolutely nothing to help me or answer my questions. I'm Christian, but come on, really?!?!?!?

There's a topic at this weekend's GHC convention titled The UFO Phenomenon--Stealing the Minds of a Generation. But it conflicts with Searching for Happily Ever After: What Does a Girl Do While Waiting for God's Best?

To be fair though, there are a number of seemingly worthwhile, academically focused seminars also scheduled throughout the weekend.

There's a topic at this weekend's GHC convention titled The UFO Phenomenon--Stealing the Minds of a Generation. But it conflicts with Searching for Happily Ever After: What Does a Girl Do While Waiting for God's Best?

To be fair though, there are a number of seemingly worthwhile, academically focused seminars also scheduled throughout the weekend.

:glare:

I was going to go to GHC because it seemed the best of what I could find (taking into account proximity, cost, and offerings). That was before I heard about VaHomeschoolers. I finally gave up because every time I went to their website looking for specifics on their workshops, I got a "coming soon" message. This was well into February. I'm sure I could have found some things there to interest me, but having never been, I didn't want to go to the expense and hassle of arranging travel and childcare for three days on the hopes that it would be worth it, you know?

Though with titles like that, I'm not entirely convinced I wouldn't have spent more time spitting out bones than eating the meat...

Now that is a scheduling quandary. However will you choose?

Now that is a scheduling quandary. However will you choose?

Such hard decisions to make.

I am lucky enough that I would have no scheduling conflict between Pursing True Beauty and a seminar where I can learn about the most pivotal event in the modern era.... I would tell you all what it's about but I want some people to guess first. 

Such hard decisions to make.

I am lucky enough that I would have no scheduling conflict between Pursing True Beauty and a seminar where I can learn about the most pivotal event in the modern era.... I would tell you all what it's about but I want some people to guess first.

I'm going to guess it's *not* the passing of the 19th Amendment.

Now I'm wondering.

Who wants all these types of topics everyone in this thread is complaining about?

I'll speak up . . . for me, the homeschool conference in Cincinnati is the only time of the year I am out and about for more than a few hours without my kids or my dh.  I truly enjoy having a wide variety of topics to choose from in each session.  I do use that one conference for both spiritual and homeschooling encouragement.  I just don't have the opportunity for any other conferences during the year.

Before going, I generally highlight the sessions that are of interest to me and usually find that at each time period there may be an academic one and a more "spiritual" application session.  I go back and forth between the two.

I did indeed go to one of the couponing ones two years ago (I think) and it was interesting and I did learn things from it I didn't know.  I do go to the Christian parenting sessions periodically because I need a renewed vision for our own family  - not adopting someone else's ideas necessarily but just encouragement and a few new ideas.

I go to the more academic minded sessions - love listening to SWB and Andrew Puedwa and the other classical educators.  They encourage me as I educate my kids and encourage me to continue to educate myself.

I go to the specific vendor sessions to learn about a curriculum I might be considering.

It's all good :)

One thing I would love to see happen is a track for specific subjects for self-education.  I'm not sure how that would work.  I'm thinking an intensive intro to Latin track for several hours each day, or intro to Greek or Hebrew or another language.  Or how about an intensive intro to Chemistry or Physics for the parents who never had it in high school.  I'm not sure how well something like that would be attended but I've always thought that it might be workable and meet some needs of some homeschoolers.   Maybe the next year it could expand into an Intermediate level and then Advanced.  Those would be classes I might be interested in :)

I'll speak up . . . for me, the homeschool conference in Cincinnati is the only time of the year I am out and about for more than a few hours without my kids or my dh.  I truly enjoy having a wide variety of topics to choose from in each session.  I do use that one conference for both spiritual and homeschooling encouragement.  I just don't have the opportunity for any other conferences during the year.

Me, too.  Looking through the Great Homeschool Convention workshop schedule, there is a nice mix of specifically homeschooling topics, along with parenting and spiritual topics.  For me, homeschooling isn't just about academics.  It touches my entire life, to one degree or another.  That's why it doesn't seem strange to me for there to be workshops that aren't specifically academic.

I'm actually looking forward to some of the parenting topics.  That's the area I'm feeling the need for the most encouragement this year.

The year they uninvited the Bravewriter lady because they didn't like some innocuous comment she made on her blog sealed the deal for me.

The Great Homeschool Conference people uninvited her.

http://app.streamsend.com/ss/1/OKm3/tq8wtgrg3w

That makes me sad. Can't imagine what it would have been (I don't read her blog but enjoyed TWJ and the interactions I've had with Julie).

That's repulsive and I'm not anti-spanking (but I think most situations call for training, leadership, and modeling first, or a logical consequence). 

Kathy Kuhl is awesome!  Hope you enjoy the conference. I've gone to the one in Cincy in the past and enjoyed it. The years I went, they had a good variety of topics.

I need more encouragement in not giving up, how to juggle pre-school and High School, what to do if one hates Math or Latin.... details.... 

Yes! I don't even mind if there are religious topics, or practical homemaking topics for those interested, but I also want/need plenty of meaty topics about education at different ages. Last year my state's conference specified under each of the main speakers..."so and so loves his/her spouse." "So and so got married through a courtship relationship..." "so and so loves his wife and she did all the homeschooling but he's speaking..." I hope they all love their spouses! :) But when they focus on that and list it as the main criteria for me to come hear the person speak...that seems more marriage-conference worthy than homeschool-conference. Hey, I don't mind if they want to address marriage topics in some seminars either--but please, help me be a better educator. Give me approaches and strategies and something to take home. Lead seminars that actually focus on education, teaching methods, special needs, learning styles, preschool to college topics. I'm well-fed at my church, appreciate my pastor, enjoy an occasional women's Bible study, have spent a lot of time working through and discussing parenting methods, have a husband I respect...can I please learn how to be a better teacher?

At my first homeschool conference, I went to a great talk about how to teach science, and they sent anyone interested home with a preserved earthworm and dissection kit. So cool! Hard to find talks like that, but I appreciate it when I do. 

Wow! I clicked on the VA conference and the NC conference and I can't believe how inexpensive they both are! The VA conference doesn't charge if you just come to shop the vendors!

With the Fl conference it is almost $100 if you're not a fpea member. There isn't a discount if you just want to shop the vendor hall, either. :( I would really like to see some of the curricula in person before I buy but at that price I'll stick with Rainbow Resource.

And since those that don't fit the mold refuse to go to the convention anymore (can't blame them after the keynote speaker started insulting the President of the United States a few years ago), the people running the convention have no incentive to change. Tjhey figure "the only people that go to these things are just like us". Well yeah....cause you have made it uncomfortable for everyone else. 

:svengo:

Wow! I clicked on the VA conference and the NC conference and I can't believe how inexpensive they both are! The VA conference doesn't charge if you just come to shop the vendors!

With the Fl conference it is almost $100 if you're not a fpea member. There isn't a discount if you just want to shop the vendor hall, either. :( I would really like to see some of the curricula in person before I buy but at that price I'll stick with Rainbow Resource.

I hear you. I normally suck it up and go, but this year..I can't justify it. My oldest is going to public school next year, and the next child is only going to be in PreK. I've already bought her phonic program (Logic of English, which also does handwriting), so really, I have no need to go. 

Plus, like I said, it isn't just that there are religious things going on, its that almost EVERYTHING has a religious bent. The Key Note speeches are generally also political, as well as religious, the child care is religious, etc etc. 

But I will probably go again next year, before Molly starts kindergarten. 

Me, too.  Looking through the Great Homeschool Convention workshop schedule, there is a nice mix of specifically homeschooling topics, along with parenting and spiritual topics.  For me, homeschooling isn't just about academics.  It touches my entire life, to one degree or another.  That's why it doesn't seem strange to me for there to be workshops that aren't specifically academic.

I'm actually looking forward to some of the parenting topics.  That's the area I'm feeling the need for the most encouragement this year.

I think the problem for some of us is that at our local conventions there are MORE parenting/spiritual topics than academic. Not a single one on teaching higher level science or math, but 4 on couponing. That kind of thing. And even the academic ones are from religious companies, or have a spiritual bent. If you don't match their worldview it becomes...awkward. 

I think the problem for some of us is that at our local conventions there are MORE parenting/spiritual topics than academic. Not a single one on teaching higher level science or math, but 4 on couponing. That kind of thing. And even the academic ones are from religious companies, or have a spiritual bent. If you don't match their worldview it becomes...awkward. 

I hear you.  I'm skipping the smaller local one this year, because last year was just so awful.  The "Delight Driven Learning" workshop was all about how a woman homeschooled her large family (ok.... but not sure how it was "delight driven") and then tossed in a plug for the Pearls.   :blink:   Most of the workshops were like that!  Session title was one thing, but actual content was a weird religious rabbit trail.  Thank goodness for Linda Hobar and Jim Weiss who stayed on topic and were interesting.  

Don't forget these!

http://welltrainedmind.com/mini-conferences-with-susan-wise-bauer-and-jim-weiss/

The mini-conferences hope to expand slowly with more speakers and locations plus vending tables.

<sigh>

I wish. There's simply no way we can attend out of state conferences which also puts the kibosh on the RFWP ones.

Dh (the kids' primary teacher) attended the last conference outside Houston where Susan was one of the presenters. He *loved* listening to her - and was utterly appalled at several of the other lifestyle workshops.

I really can't repeat what he said. Just imagine a "sheltered" ( ;) ) Catholic Marine officer's take on "Godly" homeschooling where "Godly" refers exclusively to certain Protestant subsections of Christianity.

< sigh>