Menu

s/o biggest curriculum mistakes...biggest winners?

After 17 years I've had my share of mistakes  :tongue_smilie: but I've also come across some AWESOME stuff.  

R&S English ~ cannot say how much I love this curriculum.  Thanks you TWTM!

Song School Latin w/ DVD's ~ after MANY false starts (i.e. Latina Christiana) we eventually hit upon something that we all love.  Not sure what we're going to do at the end of this school year.

Science in Action ~ what they use up here in Alberta.  It's fabulous!

Apologia Zoology series

Life of Fred ~ the only books we don't own come after geometry

OM 6 & 7 History ~ we don't follow them religiously, but the assignments are amazing!

OM 6 & 7 Science ~ see above

Beast Academy

Things I flirt with off & on because I already own them, you know, because after 17 years, you end up trying a lot of things ;)

VP Omnibus

Sonlight 

TOG 

MCT

Miquon

of course there are also a lot of other things that I use not because I love them but because they get the job done, like Singapore PM.

So what have you tried and loved?

and I have to confess I have no idea what s/o means, I just always see it when someone bases their thread off of someone elses....

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AoPS. For a math loving kid there is nothing else like it. Seriously, I can't imagine what my older boy would be like without it.

Ruth in NZ

This is next on my "to try" list.  I think my oldest would have thrived with AoPS, but I had never heard of it.  Maybe it didn't even exist, idk.  I finally have another that I think will love it.  He just started SM 6A.  We shall see :)

Singapore standards

I started hs'ing apprehensive I could teach math (I was a complete failure with it at public school).  After buying Saxon and hating it (biggest $$$ mistake), I got Singapore and fell instantly in love.  Now I understand math and both kids that I've been using Singapore with are doing awesome.

RS Math (though we've only done A, B, and C so far)

Life of Fred

SOTW using History Odyssey

AAS/AAR (Pre-k on up, love it)

History of Us (We use it with the American Girl books, it's a winner)

Story of Science

Sassafras Science (I don't love it, but the boys do)

Home Art Studio, Creativity Express, and Meet the Masters for art.  My kids think you can never have too much art :)

Story of the world...love love love it. Not sure if I have loved any curriculum as much as that. :p

I also love BJU reading for the elementary grades. It is one of those curriculum that I have never changed, even if things do look " greener the other side". It is just too good. It comes with a work text with comprehension questions, and phonics reviews. Love it.

I also love Math U See. It did wonders for my girls to learn multiplication.

That's hard to say. Some things have worked wonderfully for a while, but I haven't yet found anything I want to use to the bitter end. DD changes so significantly that I can't even use the same math program straight through. Some favorites, though:

Right Start Math A & B

Apples & Pears

Galore Park Junior English

Atelier Art

Meet the Masters

Kinderbach

Great Explorations in Math and Science (GEMS) science units

CLE Math

Further Up and Further In

Guitar for Absolute Beginners

In a nutshell:

RightStart Math

Spell to Write & Read

Cursive First

First Language Lessons

Rod & Staff English

Writing With Ease

Classical Academic Press - SSL, LfC, W&R

Veritas Press - Bible & History (cards and self-paced), literature, etc.

Memoria Press - Geography and Science materials

Thinge we have used and completed:

SOTW volumes 1 to 4 with audio

2 books of Mr. Q science with audio (do you see a pattern here?)

Handwriting without tears to teach both boys printing and eldest cursive

Singapore math grade 1 to 3 (starting 4 next week)

Growing with grammar grade 1 and 2

Bill Nye videos

Pipo history videos

I'm really liking k12 human odyssey but we only started it last month.

Story of the world...love love love it. Not sure if I have loved any curriculum as much as that. :p

I also love BJU reading for the elementary grades. It is one of those curriculum that I have never changed, even if things do look " greener the other side". It is just too good. It comes with a work text with comprehension questions, and phonics reviews. Love it.

I also love Math U See. It did wonders for my girls to learn multiplication.

SOTW is a staple in our homeschool as well. No matter what "curriculum" I'm currently using for history these text are always a part of it. All of my children have heard them at least once. Just counted, and I believe I'm on my fourth time through :)

Apples and Pears Spelling (I wish I hadn't waited as long as I did)

The Most Wonderful Writing Lessons Ever (The best narrative writing instruction I have seen. I can't imagine there being better.)

Singapore FAN Math Process Skills and Problem Solving (Clearly steps a child through the use of bar models to solve word problems.)

Elizabeth Vandiver's Great Courses through the Teaching Company. My son would listen to these over and over and over again. She takes the Greek classics to a whole new level.

Easy Grammar (not Daily Grams)

Sequential Spelling

Thames and Kosmos science kits

Evan Moore Daily Paragraph Editing

Oresome Elements app

University of Nottingham Periodic Table videos

Big Losers here were Saxon math. Wow, that one was messy. Also tried integrated math and physics. My son still talks about how he loves science, but only if there is no math in it.

WWE

FLL

Bravewriter poetry, free writes, and many of her ideas to flood your home with language rich activities. I don't follow the "BW lifestyle" as you can see from all my writing programs. But she has brilliant ideas that keep my kids excited to write.

CAP W & R- we are just in the beginning weeks if this, but we all love it, the kids beg to do more.

Calvert School - Absolutely perfect for my big kids.  They are in public school now in a pretty difficult school district.  I really credit Calvert with why they are both doing so well.

Singapore Math - Perfect for my third child.  So much mental math is absolutely wonderful him.

Shurley English - I don't love the writing part, but the rest has been great for all my kids who have used it (3 of them).

Primary Arts of Lanuage: Reading - My youngest and I are having so much fun with it.  He loves the stories and the multi-sensoriness of it.  It is so right up his alley.

IEW (writing): I've only used it with my oldest.  She LOVED it and her writing really blossomed.

Apples and Pears, Dancing Bears.

After all kinds of false starts and reading programs that only seemed to show results within the program it was A&P and DB that finally gave my middle the skills to read. Lots of hard work and long mornings but enough redeeming stuff that he never hated the program.

Our newest love is TOG!  Dd absolutely loves this program.  She, for the first time, enjoys geography, is enthralled by church history, eats up the literature, and begs for the history. This has been our best year yet.

A standard fav is Horizons math. This is the one program we've never changed. Dd does quite well with it.

Dislikes include MP's Class. Comp and Geography I

SOTW is a staple in our homeschool as well. No matter what "curriculum" I'm currently using for history these text are always a part of it. All of my children have heard them at least once. Just counted, and I believe I'm on my fourth time through :)

Us too! Right now I am in HATE with curriculum, pretty much everything until I can refigure how I want to drive this ship, but SOTW is always a part of our reading time. We also love the coloring pages and maps...even my adult kids will grab one and color! LOL.

We are on our 4th run thru, and my high schooler uses it as a jumping off point to study in and around and through the topic and time period.

Fun times!

I have decided that it is not really fair to answer these types of threads b/c we never use anything the way they are written and by the time we look back at what we have done, it hardly resembles the curriculum we purchased.  LLfLOTR, for example.   I used to post how much I love it, but many people purchased it and have been very disappointed by it.   But, the reality is that the units taught me what I didn't know and we spend more time expanding on the units and exploring rabbit trails that way than actually using LLfLOTR (or even with LOTR itself).   So, when I say that I love it, it really isn't the curriculum I love so much as what Amelia Harper put together in a single place that taught me things I needed to know in order to eventually create a Tolkien study that we have loved.  

ETA:  to give an idea, it took me 2 yrs to get through it the first time I did it.   This time around we only have 12 weeks left in school and we have only finished the Fellowship!   ;)

Singapore math

Jacobs Algebra

Lial's Intermediate Algebra

(hoping to add AoPS to this list but we haven't used it yet)

MCT Island and Town, also Self Evident Truth series

K12 Literature 6-8

SOTW

K12 History K and 4 (I'm sure 1-3 are just as good, but we didn't use them)

The Human Odyssey series

Hakim (concise edition)

The American Odyssey

Ways of the World

Big History (Teaching Company)

REWARDS Intermediate and Secondary

AAS

We're just getting started, but the things we've used that I would ABSOLUTELY use again if I were to ever have another PK-Ker were: 

AAR pre-reading--We loved Ziggy the Zebra!  That whole program just rocked for us. 

FIAR, which was also mentioned in the "biggest mistakes" thread by several, but has been just fantastic here

Phonics Pathways took my twins to solid, fluent readers at lightening speed. Didn't work AT ALL for my oldest DS, though

HWT, also mentioned by several in the "mistakes" thread, but has yielded great results with no tears here

I asked my kids about this.

My dd12 said Getting Started with Latin, Math Mammoth, and "that science we did before we did Holt, the one with the funny talking atoms." (That would be Real Science for Kids.)

My ds11 said Teaching Textbooks (this literally saved math for him) and Story of the World.

I will add to these Apples and Pears and Dancing Bears, which have helped my probably-dyslexic son improve his spelling and reading so much, Right Start Math A and B, and School Composition, a vintage writing text available from Google Books and Amazon. We're also really enjoying Project Passports from Homeschool in the Woods.

K12 Literature 6-8

Are these courses still the same? I have looked for them several times on the K12 website since posters have agreed that they were good courses but all I can find is LA 6 & 7. Did K12 revise their courses? Do they still offer this equivalent?

Are these courses still the same? I have looked for them several times on the K12 website since posters have agreed that they were good courses but all I can find is LA 6 & 7. Did K12 revise their courses? Do they still offer this equivalent?

LA 8 is called Literary Analysis and Composition.

Is this a workbook? Does each child need his own copy?

It *kind of* is- but we never write in our copy, because the book has a link to the website where you can print off as many of the write on pages as you need. Much of it is a guide, with ideas of things to do, and then there are the few nature journal type worksheets. We keep a science binder, and take a lot of pictures to document changes in the trees and whatnot- and I bring the pictures home to put in the binder so we can come back and look at what we've done. It's fab!

I couldn't think of anything that I truly love. (The kids love SOTW.) There are things that work and I keep using them (like Spell to Write & Read). There are things I've made work by tweaking them (like SOTW). There are things that one of the kids really enjoyed using and one or more heavily disliked (like Elemental Science's Lapbooking Through Biology).

But love?   :confused:

Then, I remembered:   DragonBox!  :001_wub:  

(We only have the 5+ version.)

Dancing Bears, Apples & Pears.   I wish someone would have told me to get through Dancing Bears Fast Track before starting Apples & Pears....but once we settled into proper placement, it was perfect.  A&P is all I've used for dd8 and she is an excellent writer for an 8yo.  She's a natural, but A&P has definitely given her confidence.  My dyslexic is surviving and learning, which is awesome!

I love the Science in a Nutshell kits.  My only beef with them is that I have to hunt and gather living books to go along with.