Menu

White kitchen or dark kitchen?

Samiam

DH and I are dreaming...planning things for a house, lol.    We are discussing kitchens and trying to decide which color to go with.

1.  White cupboards/cabinets...maybe grayish counters.   Any drawbacks?  I've heard the "white shows more dirt"...but we had a lovely white kitchen in a house we rented, and I actually found the white cupboards easier to keep clean.  The white did show the dirty easily, but since it was easy to see, it was easy to give it a quick wipe as counters were wiped (which is an everyday thing anyway).   Overall, I loved the airy, brightness of the kitchen.  

2.  Dark cupboards/cabinets...maybe black or brownish counters.   Like a dark, dark wood...not mahoganey...don't want any "red" overtones.    It seems like it would be elegant and warm.  Dark wouldn't show the dirty as quickly.  But perhaps too dark, gloomy, making space seem smaller...if natural lighting isn't perfect?  

We have cupboards that are a natural wood color...so kinda light.  What drives me bonkers if you look at them straight on, they don't necessarily look dirty or grimy...but if you look at a angle, you can see smudges/grime in the areas where hands are put on to open the doors (no handles).    I'd assume the dark cupboards would be the same.  

Experiences?  Pros or cons?

I had hickory cabinets (light color wood) we chose and we loved it. Counters were medium gray with red tints, looked like granite. We now have dark cabinets and mostly black granite, pale tile flooring. Too dark! I think I would always prefer lighter colors in the kitchen. It also might depend on where you live and the natural lighting coming in through windows and the current lighting.

We have chosen white with a light grey counter.  Scotland is pretty dark in winter, so we'd like a bright space.  There are three windows in the space (one of which is currently hidden behind a cabinet) so we look forward to all that light.

ETA: we will probably have blue splashbacks, mixed grey floor and light blue walls.

L

I have built by dream kitchen, twice, and both time when with dark cherry cabinets.  I love the look - it looks warm and rich to me.  Plus it does hide the fingerprints, streak marks, etc.  I guess it all depends - if you are like me and just don't want to see the dirt or you are like Alte Veste Academy and want to see the dirt so you can attack it!! 

I have curtains instead of cupboard doors, and wooden bench tops. walls are creamy white, with one wall being almost entirely windows. stove is a massive cast iron  wood combustions stove, it is beautiful

the tiles that are meant to go behind the sink and behind the bench tops are not there yet either.

One day if I am very lucky I will get wooden cupboard doors and the splash back tiles .... one day.. ...

We had white cabinets and light countertops at our previous house and I really liked them.  Yes, the white cabinets show every bit of dirt and every smudge.  But then you know they need cleaning.  The counter tops were kind of a light, mottled grayish brown and showed nothing.

At our current house we have dark cabinets and I love the look.  They're really quite stunning and elegant.  But I do always wonder if they're clean, even after I've just cleaned them.  We have dark, almost black counter tops and I hate them.  Every single thing shows.  Everything.

I've had both. I love the white cabinets, but if I could have hickory, that's what I'd do.

Many designers believe that all horizontal surfaces should have a similar color value. IOW, dark floors, dark counters; light floors, light counters. I think I agree with them. I have white cabinets, [cheap] white laminate countertops, dark hardwood floors. The white countertops (besides being cheap) just don't look right. We're pondering replacing them with soapstone (our first choice) or a combination of butcherblock (on the island) and a dark Silestone or something similar.

For the first time, we have a dark kitchen -- dark, almost black, cabinets, gray/black granite counters, gray/black tile, not like slate, but rustic. It shows no dirt. We have stainless appliances. Everyone says it's gorgeous and looks like a magazine kitchen. I would not have chosen any of it, but I agree. Just lovely. Elegant but not cold.

We have dark cabinets and light(er) granite and I LOVE it. As far as the dirt goes, I would worry about white cabinets because of the headache our floor has been. We have light tile and grout. I am constant and meticulous about cleaning that floor and after being here a year, it just doesn't look clean. I would worry the same thing would happen with white cabinets and kids. It would be really hard to keep them looking what my opinion of great is.

I have had both white and black cabinets, and truth be told, they are about the same as far as their (lack of) dirt-hiding capabilities. I like that, as I am on the "let me see it so I can attack it" camp. What makes a difference to me, though, is the number is grooves on the cabinet face. I have shaker-style doors now, so minimal grooves, but if I were to do it again, I would have slab doors. When I designed my kitchen, I thought that would be too contemporary for us and our house, but I have changed my mind. I love my kitchen, but my next house, to which I will retire in Wyoming, will have all flat, slick, shiny surfaces. Not your typical grandma kitchen.

how much natural light?  less light, lighter cabinets, lots of light - whichever you prefer.

I have lighter cabinets with a dark granite counter (backsplash is similar color to the cabinets) and a similar quartzite floor (12 x 24 tiles).  I like it.

For a small kitchen, white makes it look light and airy. We painted ours white. It does show when needing to be scrubbed and I find myself having to carefully scrub in spots due to the paint wanting to come off. That has nothing to do with the color itself. If you had a more professional finish, I am sure it would be easier.

Medium colored woods hides dirt, though. Was a bit blah to me. I've owned black tables and furniture. It is entirely too much to dust lol white is easier.

We have chosen white with a light grey counter.  Scotland is pretty dark in winter, so we'd like a bright space.  There are three windows in the space (one of which is currently hidden behind a cabinet) so we look forward to all that light.

ETA: we will probably have blue splashbacks, mixed grey floor and light blue walls.

L

We also don't have much light in the winter, and we also went with white cabinets and a gray and white counter. It makes the space feel very inviting and comfortable, even on gloomy days.

I have had both white and black cabinets, and truth be told, they are about the same as far as their (lack of) dirt-hiding capabilities. I like that, as I am on the "let me see it so I can attack it" camp. What makes a difference to me, though, is the number is grooves on the cabinet face. I have shaker-style doors now, so minimal grooves, but if I were to do it again, I would have slab doors. When I designed my kitchen, I thought that would be too contemporary for us and our house, but I have changed my mind. I love my kitchen, but my next house, to which I will retire in Wyoming, will have all flat, slick, shiny surfaces. Not your typical grandma kitchen.

Yes - slab style for us.  No grooves at all.

(Ripping out a country style kitchen with grooves, baskets, pilasters, grooves, grooves.... did I say grooves?)

L

White is forever dirty if you have children or pets. 

I do like the lightness, especially if your lighting is dimmer, but it would take constant up-keep for my cabinets to not have some smudges somewhere. I'd rather have wood. I didn't notice it on a daily basis with wood. I could get by with that weekly or monthly cleaning with wood and think everything looked great. 

Yes!  I currently have white cabinets with lots of grooves and molding.  So I can see the dirt, but it's really tough to clean - the worst of both worlds!  

Keep in mind that while white may be easier to wipe off in the short term, eventually the grunge kind of gets imbedded in the paint. My MIL's kitchen is like this. She really needs to repaint.

Here's my kitchen. Medium oak stained cabinets. LIght grayish countertops. White tile floor. Yellow walls. I do have a high ceiling and plenty of light in there so it's nice and bright.

71bb3aaf-3537-47c1-b036-11fe7689b8b0_zps

White! I have white cabinets, tan walls, beige/tan ceramic tile floor, and some truly awesome red granite counters. The dark of the counters really pops with everything else being so light, and I love the brightness of the white cabinets. Mine are flat, smooth melamine for a modern look that is easy to clean. I don't know if I would like painted as much, and I know I wouldn't like the doors if they weren't flat, because it would make it much harder to clean them.

My last kitchen had light maple cabinets, red oak floor, cream walls and sink and appliances, and medium grey-blue countertops. Sounds kind of strange, I guess, but all together, it really worked and had a nice classic feel. (I only got to use it for a couple of years, but the people who bought it seemed to like it.) It was a little bit on the long and narrow side, with only one window in one side, so the light colors really kept it from being cave-like.

Here, we have a big country kitchen, and the plan is to paint the walls yellow with blue trim, but we haven't decided anything beyond that yet. Might go with white cabinets, or we might go for the maple again. I like lighter colors in general, personally.

I like both looks. My current kitchen has dark cherry cabinets with dark, dark granite. Very elegant looking, but it is an effort to keep the counters looking nice. I miss the simplicity of laminate counters we had in our former house. The dark cabinets do get smudgy around the knob, but that is hard to help at this point in my life. I don't have a problem with my kitchen looking dark or small because the room is not tiny and has open natural light.

We just redid our kitchen with dark espresso stained cabinets and dark brown, almost black granite. Appliances are stainless and we have a metal tile-looking backsplash. We LOVE it! The kitchen does get a lot of natural light and we have natural stained oak floors so it doesn't seem gloomy - just clean and modern. We aren't fans of all white kitchens. Too sterile. Give me warm wood tones any day.

Oddly, I was waiting for DS at an appt today, and my cell phone died.  So I was stuck with Better Homes and Gardens (will have to mention to the vision therapist that their magazine selection is lacking!)... Both the Jan and Feb issues this year had kitchens with dark cabinets on the bottom and light on the top.  Sort of a dark painted gray on the bottom, white on the top.  Both used the backsplash to coordinate the colors.  I thought that was interesting, considering this thread.  :)

I am in the light kitchen camp, but would prefer dark on the bottom.  Hadn't considered it till reading this thread, and then seeing it at the office today was inspiring!