Menu

If you were going to paint one room a wild, unusual, or bold color...

helena

Our front room is deep red, though I sponged over it in a dark sort of burgandy and people often think it's wallpaper.  When I did it, it was pretty avant-garde, I thought.  But then red living rooms became kind of a thing and now they're clearly a bit passe.  Oh well.  I still like it.  It has a whole wall of windows to support the dark color.

Our dining room is a nice, bright, ever so slightly peachy toned yellow.  I love that.

Orange...I want a bright orange color.  Oh, and a bright green...Green is an awesome color, not the dull greens but a nice bright, happy green.  I was actually dreaming of a room possibly with a bright green and a darker purple as an accent.  Blues are out.  I have lived in so much blue, bleh...It is really over used.  It does make a nice color for a small space, like a bathroom, but behind that, it's too much.

There is a this orange that is more like a burnt orange by Benjamin Moore.  It is really pretty and reminds me of zinna or autumn sunflower.  I would love to paint one wall with it and decorate the room to it.  

When we moved here our study was a color that sounds similar to this. We never use bold colors, but we decided to try living with it for a bit. (In other words, we didn't have the time/desire to repaint! ;) )

Fast forward several months--I cannot imagine any other color. In the morning, the walls are like the sunrise glowing around us. In the evening, when we just use lamplight, the walls seem to be reflecting glowing embers from a fireplace. Warm and cozy--perfect for a study!

Dd's room is purple, ds1's is dark green and ds2's is bright blue, like the Caribbean. The rest of the house is still blah off-white.

I knew a family that always used the color scheme red, blue, green, yellow throughout the house--each room was one of those colors. When they owned a newer home the colors were bolder. When they moved into an older home they chose more toned-down versions to match the cottage-y feel of that home.

I knew someone who painted his bedroom mango. It was a nice shade but just a bit too much orange for me.

I knew a family that always used the color scheme red, blue, green, yellow throughout the house--each room was one of those colors. When they owned a newer home the colors were bolder. When they moved into an older home they chose more toned-down versions to match the cottage-y feel of that home.

I agree with taking into consideration the characteristics of the home.

Well, my house has lots of "bold" wall colors.  The entire open living space is painted in Pumpkin Butter, which is a neutral deep tan(ish) color on the orange side.  The master bedroom is a burnt orange.  The master bedroom is a very deep red orange.  DS's bathroom is a deep bordello red. 

I think if I could choose another color it would be a velvety chocolate brown.

I simple wouldn't do it. :p 

I have lots of stuff on the wall, lots of windows, bookshelves, even some art and family photos. So everything is one shade of blue. All the trim is a darker blue. The bathroom and some doors are white. 3 colors only make touch up jobs really easy. (In theory. - In reality we have lived here for 4 years and I have yet to touch up the paint)

My bathroom has one dark red wall. The other walls are light-med. brown. People tend to think that's a little weird...maybe too boudoir-esque? 

I'd love to have dark gold. 

I had a friend with a kitchen which was orangey (tangerine?), yellow, and turquoise. Believe or not, it was really zesty and fun looking. Their house was very angular, very prairie school, so it came off as a very modern combination. She actually started with wheat colored walls with turquoise around the cooking area. Then they added the tangerine in the eating section. Then the yellow as an accent to the tangerine. I know I'm not describing it properly and it probably sounds like a badly painted clown. Her husband had a degree in art and it really looked fabulous when they were all done, but she always worried that it was just a little *too* much. It suited them very well. 

They painted it back to wheat before they moved. 

I've always wanted to paint my bedroom black.  I saw a bedroom in a magazine once where they had painted the floors, walls, and ceiling black, and had a white bed.  It was like the bed was floating in darkness.  I loved it.  Dh would never go for it, though.

I like the sound of that! Have you ever watch The Ladies Man with Jerry Lewis? There's a scene in it with an all white bedroom... I always thought it'd be so cool to have a room like that. Still do. :)

http://klipd.com/watch/the-ladies-man/miss-cartilage-scene

My office is a deep charcoal (SW Peppercorn).

My living room is a deep gray-blue (SW Smoky Blue).

My laundry room and guest bath are a deep truer blue (SW Distance).

My son's room is a dark gray (SW French Gray).

My kitchen was a super deep purple-gray (SW Quixotic Plum) but I recently switched it to something lighter (SW Light French Gray) when I got a new dining room set with a funkier color chair. I may paint my hutch the Quixotic Plum because I love the color so much, but I don't know - I really like the "color" of natural wood; we'll see.

The classroom is a TARDIS-ish blue

My bedroom has an accent wall and the rest will be light purple. The accent wall was the result of me adding white oil paint with burnt umber and doing about 3 coats that weren't entirely mixed. It looks like layers of purpleish brown soil, similar to the effect of looking at Jupiter, but different colors. 

I'm considering peacock blue in the kitchen or living room. 

Another wild idea I had has to do with my kitchen floor. I'm replacing the plastic cheap laminate with simply 1 x 6"s cut into various lengths. I planned on painting it white. The wild idea is that I would paint it to look like sky with clouds. Then it would look like you're walking on the sky. I have a very subtle Alice in Wonderland theme happening in there anyway, so it would only add to the effect. 

My dining room is a Ralph Lauren (do they still make paint?) Kiln Red. When I got the paint the mixer guy told me he'd never seen so much magenta in a paint ever. It's a deep, dark, cranberry red. I love it. My house doesn't get enough light to pull off a color this dark, but I love it anyway.

I love color.  We have crown molding through our whole house, usually in various shades of white to offset the darker wall colors.  My living room is dark cranberry red (14 years ago it was unusual), my workout room is purple with a cyan bathroom attached.  My long hall is white with chocolate, I love the chocolate. I'd love to paint a room a deeper mediterranean blue, maybe the next color for my living room.

Our front room is deep red, though I sponged over it in a dark sort of burgandy and people often think it's wallpaper. When I did it, it was pretty avant-garde, I thought. But then red living rooms became kind of a thing and now they're clearly a bit passe. Oh well. I still like it. It has a whole wall of windows to support the dark color.

Our dining room is a nice, bright, ever so slightly peachy toned yellow. I love that.

I love red! My old living room was glazed a deep, rich red. I mixed up the color from artists oils -- scarlet, crimson, burnt sienna, kicked back with a touch of burnt umber.

I am debating whether to do my current living room in red or Colefax & Fowler yellow, which has a touch of burnt umber in it. Greying a bright color slightly makes it look rich rather than flashy, IMO.

I am usually a pastel girl, but I did at one stage paint my bedroom a rich plum pink. My bedroom has 3 walls that are windows or part windows, floor to ceiling. It looked great. DH hated it. just last year I painted it a deep yellow. I think it was called cactus yellow.

it is terrific. it sort of absorbs some of the light in the room, the walls seam to glow.

yeah, see, I need light.  I think dark walls look cool, but I wouldnt want to be surrounded by them.  My bedroom has a medium green below the chair rail, which is brown,  and a pale yellow above, and i really love it.  The tv room is a medium shade of green (chosen in large part because it compliments the wooden paneling).  youngest son's room was red below the blue chair rail and white above.  Poor dh . . .. he does the painting.  He's totally anal about it, 2-3 layers of primer and 2-3 layers of paint.  

I would paint my living room (or whatever our main hang-out room is) gold.  Not a metallic gold, but kind of a yellow gold.  It doesn't fit our house and furniture now, but someday, I think I'd like that.

I've always wanted a gold room or wall. I'd be happy with non metallic, but I'd love a metallic, gold leaf kind of look... or even a wallpaper with metallic gold on it.

We've done a lot of colors over the years... greys, fern green, yellows, charcoal, purple... Our classroom right now is a super bold kelly green, we've really enjoyed this color. 

Now that we're finally buying, I want to stop playing around with colors and pick the ones I've always truly loved. Unfortunately I'm realizing I can love just about any color in the right shade.  :lol: Our houses here are so ugly on the outside that you can just kind of recreate any look on the inside and it's fine. 

I'm reading through a design book right now on black and white homes and that's a great look. 

Then there's the Mexican California look that's most appealing to me. 

The girls and I have settled on calling our look Hollywood Regency. It kind of sums up the eclectic thing we have going on. 

:lurk5:

I have a hot-chocolate-with-whipped living room.  It's my favorite color.  In our rental (where we used to live) I have the passe ;) red living room and I like that, too.  Our mudroom area is orange.  That's fun, but I never go out there so I don't see it.  And it's a mess.  For exterior, I've wanted to do black on our rental, but so far I can't get my husband to go for it.  It's a smallish house.  I saw one in a magazine once that had black paint and white trim (I think?) with these really pretty sunflowers out front.  Looked beautiful.  Right now, our house is slated to be painted a dark, dark purple -- almost black but just purple enough to not be black. 

This is a dangerous thread. I am tempted to by high gloss dark paint. I have an open house and I want a maroonish purple in the office/music area, black or charcoal for my room, deep forest green for my bathroom, midnight blue for other bathroom, rose for the laundry room and closet. no clue on the livingroom and kitchen.