Menu

How do you in super cold climates handle the cold?

Only me

Now that I have fibromyalgia the cold bothers me even more. I'm a bit wimpy but the thought of having a high of negative 9 and low of negative 21 (before windchill) predicted for Monday makes me want to hibernate. Unfortunately that's not possible as ds has baseball practice until 10 that night. I guess people in super cold climates just get used to it.

My arthritis in my hands and feet never gets used to it. If I can keep my house humidity and temperature fairly even then at least they don't get achy at home. When I go out I bundle up good, take some pain meds, grit my teeth and get it done. Sorry, no solutions here. Last week we bounced from -40 one day to a few degrees above freezing the next.

I love cold weather and always miss it when we live someplace warmer in the winter. Sometimes we've lived in cold climates without a car, so I would be outside walking almost every day. Good outerwear makes a huge difference and it doesn't have to be expensive. I also have a few things I can do to warm up when I'm chilly at home. And there's nothing like coming into a warm house after being outside in negative degree weather.

You must be in our area!  ha -  :)    I find that once I'm actually out in it, it's not quite as bad.  But it sure makes a difference to have really warm winter outerwear, and a remote car starter.  :)  Taking advantage of the warmer (above 0) days by cross country skiing, etc., helps.  Winters feel so long though, especially last winter when we were still having blizzards in May.  If nothing else, it's something to talk about and feel glad you made it through! 

Wool is my friend.  As are silk and micro fiber.  And I spend the money to make sure it all fits and is super warm.

I ski in the winter and I find that helps me tolerate the cold better.  But I buy the expensive base layer that fits right and is super soft micro fiber.  I wear wool-silk blend socks and loose baggy wool sweaters.  Fortunately, fashion this year includes leggings, long sweaters and wool boot socks, so I look in style instead of just dorky.  I hate hats, but can stand a scarf wrapped around my head with a wool head band to keep it in place.  Wool  or wool-silk gloves complete the outfit with a long jacket.

My car is the one that gets parked outside since it has the plug in for cold weather.  I LOOOOVE my remote start too!

Now that I have fibromyalgia the cold bothers me even more. I'm a bit wimpy but the thought of having a high of negative 9 and low of negative 21 (before windchill) predicted for Monday makes me want to hibernate. Unfortunately that's not possible as ds has baseball practice until 10 that night. I guess people in super cold climates just get used to it.

I think you live near us !

I buy really well-made, warm gear. I limit my activities. And I enjoy the quiet 1-2 months a year. 

Life is busy enough, January forces me to slow down and spend time with the people around me. It forces me to take on all those small, personal things I want to do. It forces me to cuddle up with dh, enjoy life under a blanket, think about things. 

Frankly, I like January. Not every single moment (like the one where I have to clean off the car, clear a path, lose a glove), but it's a very slow and thoughtful month. 

Ooh, I love the cold. In fact, winter is my season for long walks after supper. I love the snow and the cold.(I'm told I am part golden retriever!)  I can also appreciate that it is hard on the body.

When I don't feel like sitting in an ice cold car, I bring hot coco with me, wear my ski mitts so that the steering wheel doesn't freeze my hands. Do you have hand warmers( little packets of heat)?

Layers, layers!

Buying good socks helps a lot. Warm feet are key. :-) I like the smart wool or the LL bean hiking socks. It's been in the negatives here since last night and we're not supposed to go above 0 until Sunday I think. Blah. And it's snowing. Also, long underwear. And a remote car starter if you can swing it!

I live in a very cold weather area.  And to boot, my 10 yo is in an OUTDOOR sport during winter so us "spectator" parents have to not only drive the kid to daily practices but also stand around outside watching the competitions with no indoor refuge.  Brrrrr!!!!!    Remarkably, the kids practice and compete in anything.  And I do mean anything.  They were just out for practice two days ago in -10 degrees with 25 MPH wind.  I do not even know what the wind chill was.  Yikes.  Base layers are first and we wear them indoors as well.  Non-cotton long johns or wool tights.  They do not have to be pricey or fancy, just not cotton.  Wool socks.  No cotton socks, ever.  I like the knee-high variety meant for downhill skiing as they help to keep the lower legs warm.  A good pair of adult bibs help.  I have a pair of North Face that do well.  Those are "low end," you can find much warmer/nicer ones easily, and for less cost.  We wear them in and out as "pants" when the temp dips.  Our furnace cannot keep up much of the winter, so although we set the thermostat at 62 during the day, there are weeks we cannot break 50 or 55 consistently so being well-dressed is very important.  If you knit or know someone who does, I like to "accessorize" with cool looking hats, scarves, and wrist warmers indoors as well as out.  We wear hats all winter, indoors and out.  We use hand warmers liberally.  We have about 30 of the rechargeable type that you boil and can be reused.  The disposal kind are in all of our pockets, purses, and cars for emergencies.  And I drink tea or hot water with lemon all day.  I will take a thermos if I know I am going to be outside for a long time.

One thing that many people in my area do that I think helps is to "harden off" the family in fall….like plants.  You keep the heat off into the fall season and just be cold for a few weeks.  After a couple weeks of a 50 degree house, 60 seems like a luxury.  

I will third (fourth, fifth….) the remote starter.  We walk most places but when it is below zero and we have to go somewhere too far to walk, we start the car from inside.  The car will not be warm, no matter how long it idles, but at least the defrost has been going and you have a chance of freeing up the windshield wipers.  Starting from scratch can take 30+ minutes to get a drivable car….which is why we walk a lot…….

I think that you endure the cold, just like southerners have learned to endure the heat in the summer. We moved from PA (where we lived in the snow belt) to TX in July. During our first week here, the temperature was around 110*, and we were shocked to see people out riding bikes!

That is the flip side!  We melt at 80 degrees.  Melt. 110 would kill me, I swear.  I had a business trip in Phoenix in July many years ago.  Just walking from the air conditioned car in a parking lot to an air conditioned building, I nearly threw up.  It was like walking into an oven.  At least when it is cold you can put more clothing on.  There is only so much one can do in heat like that!  I'll take cold over hot any day.

Bundling up warm in layers, and enduring it.  Ds10 gets leg pain when it gets really cold due to his injuries.  For him, he handles the very cold days with an epsom salt bath and tiger balm to relieve the pain.  Of course what happens is you spend a row of days at     -30C and when it "warms" up to -23C you rejoice the beautiful weather and go out sledding, making snowmen and skating.  When it hits -9C you declare spring has arrived and open the windows to the house and go around in t-shirts proclaiming what a warm day it is.  -9 is only cold until you his something colder, then -9 is warm.  It's all relative when dealing with winter.

I grew up on the northern MN border and have spent probably 95% of my life in northern or central MN, so I'm just used to it.  It has to get colder than maybe thirty below for me to get my panties in a bunch. :)  It's probably a combination of nature and nurture.  Florida would absolutely kill me, and I don't think I'd ever get used to that kind of climate.

My fibromyalgia isn't to bad this winter, knock on wood, but I am more sensitive to the cold than I used to be. I still love winter but I live in fleece under armor jackets, and if they happen to be in the wash I wear other under armor cold gear.  I'm a walking billboard for them these days but it works!  Seat warmers in the car are also very nice. :)

Layers, socks, quilts, heated seats, scarves, hand warmers, etc. Staying home and reading a book helps, but then when you have to leave the house a heated seat helps even things out a bit. Tea or coffee in a travel mug can help as does just a bit of whining. Just a bit, mind you, but the weather makes a great conversation among strangers. :0)

I don't handle it, but I try not to give into it.  (Whispering softly, actually I hate it.)  Tonight should be -17' and I'm ignoring whatever they are adding to that with the windchill. 

That said, maybe adjusting or  I'm a nut now...because I get all excited if we hit a daily high of anything in the teens...Any day with temps up in the teens and I'm out running around trying to get as many things done as possible.  Today was 9' ; I reluctantly went grocery shopping and did a ton of errands that I don't want to do when it's colder tomorrow. 

I wear layers have a ton of coats, boots, gloves and silk longjohns and even flannel lined jeans.  (The flannel lined jeans are pretty soft and comfy  btw.)

Turning up the heat and humidity inside your home can go a long way towards comfort.

Tonight we are expected to reach a low of -15 with a windchill of -33 in my part of Canada, and that is in Fahrenheit, not Celsius, since we speak that funny language here.  ;)   Further north in my province it is even colder. 

I pretty much do what many of you have already mentioned - dress in warm layers, no exposed skin when we go out walking, bundle up, cuddle up, complain a lot and then shut up...  :)  We reluctantly accept the cold and snow here because it comes as part of the territory.  Many talk of hibernation.  ;)  I really try to find the bright side and think that we are that much closer to spring.  It's the thought that counts, right?  :001_smile:   Tonight I am definitely staying inside because it is 'freeze your nose hairs' cold out there!!  Hope you all are finding great ways to stay warm too!

My fibromyalgia isn't to bad this winter, knock on wood, but I am more sensitive to the cold than I used to be. I still love winter but I live in fleece under armor jackets, and if they happen to be in the wash I wear other under armor cold gear.  I'm a walking billboard for them these days but it works!  Seat warmers in the car are also very nice. :)

DS has a few . He wears them full time and even has coats that fit over them.

When hubby got up this morning, the needle on the circular outdoor thermometer had gone past the lowest temp (-40C or -40F - the two scales come together at that point) and had almost gone back around to +50C on the warm side of the thermometer.  As I'm preeeeeetty sure it wasn't +50C this morning, either the thermometer is broken or that's how it responds when you fall off the cold side. :D  The Environment Canada website said it was -43C this morning - without windchill.  Luckily, there usually isn't much wind when it gets that cold.  Unluckily, exposed skin freezes in about 5 minutes at that temp.

I kind of think one has to be born to it.  My husband grew up in western Manitoba and I grew up in Northwestern Ontario - this is just what winter feels like.  You just kind of... ignore it after awhile.  We don't spend a lot of time outside unless it warms up to around -25C or so - we just go out, feed all the animals, make sure everyone has food, water, and shelter and no one is shivering, and come back in.  If you're moving around outside instead of just standing or sitting, it's a lot easier to stay warm.

For clothing...  You have to accept that - if you want to stay truly warm - fashion can no longer be a consideration. :)  You can be fashionable and freeze or you can dress like an arctic explorer and be warm.  Never, never cheap out on outerwear.  Growing up here, I always remember my mom building in the cost of good quality outerwear into her yearly budget - it's NOT cheap.

Warmth also has to trump looks on your house.  Sealable plastic over the windows if the house doesn't have at least good quality, double-pane windows.  Money probably goes towards a high-end furnace before a kitchen or bathroom gets redone. :)

It's supposed to warm up after tonight.  Current temp is -33C and -39C with windchill.  Tomorrow's high is -10C!!!!!!!!!  Woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!  Of course the warming trend is bringing an Alberta clipper (or I should say the Alberta clipper is bringing a warming trend) so we'll get a big dump of snow.  At -10C, I can be outside with just a fleece jacket on as long as it's not windy.  Again - born to it. :)

(P.S.  Don't get me wrong.  The endless days of -40C tend to drain a person.  But as Canadians, our national pastime is complaining about the weather.  If we didn't have all of this cold to complain about, we'd complain about the snow.  Or the lack of snow.  Or the wind.  Or the lack of wind.  You get the picture. ;))

Our 2nd car doesn't handle the cold well -- more than 24 hours below zero and it just won't start. So we're down to one car, and keeping our fingers crossed for that one. Every time I start it we have to hold our breath for the long moment it takes to turn over.

Actually, what we've gotten really sick of is having to change into shorts when we go to the gym. So we've actually been running to the car in our shorts and then running to the gym from the car. And the car isn't that warm either. We won't be able to do this when the wind picks up....

Standing outside for any length of time though, yeah, uh, long underwear is kind of necessary. And hat. And mittens. and something to go over the mouth. Lots of layers. Getting dressed can get to be an aerobic routine.

And I'm allergic to wool and silk, so they're no help.

I kind of like the cold weather though. We keep finding new things to freeze. Coming from California, this never ceases to amaze me.

I really was NOT born to this (never saw snow until I was in my 20's). I handle it just fine. It's all in the clothing. And a kind of Zen approach to the whole thing. Just so long as you're not in hypothermia or frostbite range, you just have to ignore the discomfort. (But I don't have arthritis...)

Our 2nd car doesn't handle the cold well -- more than 24 hours below zero and it just won't start. So we're down to one car, and keeping our fingers crossed for that one. Every time I start it we have to hold our breath for the long moment it takes to turn over.

Actually, what we've gotten really sick of is having to change into shorts when we go to the gym. So we've actually been running to the car in our shorts and then running to the gym from the car. And the car isn't that warm either. We won't be able to do this when the wind picks up....

Standing outside for any length of time though, yeah, uh, long underwear is kind of necessary. And hat. And mittens. and something to go over the mouth. Lots of layers. Getting dressed can get to be an aerobic routine.

And I'm allergic to wool and silk, so they're no help.

I kind of like the cold weather though. We keep finding new things to freeze. Coming from California, this never ceases to amaze me.

I really was NOT born to this (never saw snow until I was in my 20's). I handle it just fine. It's all in the clothing. And a kind of Zen approach to the whole thing. Just so long as you're not in hypothermia or frostbite range, you just have to ignore the discomfort. (But I don't have arthritis...)

DS and I wear shorts and just wear snow pants over them. Less of a pain.

I have a low heart rate and that (according to my doc) leads me to be cold all the time.  When it's negative whatever outside it's even worse (it's going to be a long few days). What everyone else has said helps.  I start with a hot shower and put on fleece cuddl duds and wool socks sometimes with slik socks under them.  I layer pants or tights over that with a turtle neck and then sweater or fleece jacket.  I like knee high boots for extra warmth/no snow in my shoes when looking nice.  LL Bean boots when going out to shovel, etc.  I wear tons of scarves and shawls.  Looks nice an helps with warmth.  I have a good coat, a nice wool hat and lined mittens that I keep warmed rice bags in.  I also have an electric throw in my chair and a heated mattress pad.  I have been known to go get in bed just to warm up.  Oh, and I drink hot drinks constantly.  Some days all this gets my body temp all the way up to 98.  My remote start consists of a 12 yo boy however. :laugh:

OP...

You do need to make sure your winter clothing is top notch, so that when you do go out you are as comfortable as possible. 

In your post, you mention a late baseball practice.  I would wear my flannel lined jeans (a silk set of long johns if it is outdoors) good socks, a long-sleeve t, a sweater or fleece jacket, good gloves, a hat, a scarf, fleecey lined boots and my stadium Land's end coat. 

I only wear my Land's End Stadium coat when it is below 20'; I affectionately refer to it as my ugly coat, but it's worth the loss of style and the money in warmth.  I do have Columbia jackets for quick in and out runs, but if my legs and tush are cold, I'm freezing.

I always try to buy when stuff is on sale.  This year I'm seriously looking at a light-box and possibly UGS.

When hubby got up this morning, the needle on the circular outdoor thermometer had gone past the lowest temp (-40C or -40F - the two scales come together at that point) and had almost gone back around to +50C on the warm side of the thermometer. As I'm preeeeeetty sure it wasn't +50C this morning, either the thermometer is broken or that's how it responds when you fall off the cold side. :D The Environment Canada website said it was -43C this morning - without windchill. Luckily, there usually isn't much wind when it gets that cold. Unluckily, exposed skin freezes in about 5 minutes at that temp.

I kind of think one has to be born to it. My husband grew up in western Manitoba and I grew up in Northwestern Ontario - this is just what winter feels like. You just kind of... ignore it after awhile. We don't spend a lot of time outside unless it warms up to around -25C or so - we just go out, feed all the animals, make sure everyone has food, water, and shelter and no one is shivering, and come back in. If you're moving around outside instead of just standing or sitting, it's a lot easier to stay warm.

For clothing... You have to accept that - if you want to stay truly warm - fashion can no longer be a consideration. :) You can be fashionable and freeze or you can dress like an arctic explorer and be warm. Never, never cheap out on outerwear. Growing up here, I always remember my mom building in the cost of good quality outerwear into her yearly budget - it's NOT cheap.

Warmth also has to trump looks on your house. Sealable plastic over the windows if the house doesn't have at least good quality, double-pane windows. Money probably goes towards a high-end furnace before a kitchen or bathroom gets redone. :)

It's supposed to warm up after tonight. Current temp is -33C and -39C with windchill. Tomorrow's high is -10C!!!!!!!!! Woo hoo!!!!!!!!!! Of course the warming trend is bringing an Alberta clipper (or I should say the Alberta clipper is bringing a warming trend) so we'll get a big dump of snow. At -10C, I can be outside with just a fleece jacket on as long as it's not windy. Again - born to it. :)

(P.S. Don't get me wrong. The endless days of -40C tend to drain a person. But as Canadians, our national pastime is complaining about the weather. If we didn't have all of this cold to complain about, we'd complain about the snow. Or the lack of snow. Or the wind. Or the lack of wind. You get the picture. ;))

We are having very similar temps.

-44C and up to -13c tomorrow! But we get snow as the trade off lol. I believe we are about to get dumped on - 10-15cm of snow.

I completely agree - warmth trumps any sense of style in the really cold months. I have big but warm as heck snowboarding boots, wear my ski pants just about everywhere, and bundle up!

I love the cold. I'd rather this cold and snow over 95 degrees and 95% humidity any day.

I am wearing silk underwear under my jeans, two pairs of socks, a tank top, a turtleneck, a wool sweater, wool fingerless gloves and a wool hat. I guess I should mention we keep our heat at 62 in the winter. I have a pot of tea on for anyone who wants it.

And I knit. Having half a wool sweater draped over my lap is a good way to keep warm.

I live in Northern, ME.  We have a weather station. The night before last it got down to -42 with the wind chill.  This morning it was -32.  We were able to get out  and do some X-country skiing last Sunday for about 45 mins. when it warmed up to 10.  Other than that, we don't go out in severe temps unless it's to get wood for the woodstove, get the mail, or have an appointment.

Now that we're not getting out much, I'm doing 35 mins. on our treadmill first thing in the morning to get my blood pumping and my internal furnace stoked.  Every other late afternoon/early evening, DH and I will do a quick kettle bell workout to get the blood pumping (I desperately need to lose some weight, but this also warms us up).  This may not be feasible with your condition, but I have a friend with Fibromyalgia and when she does mild exercises consistently she feels much better.

I have to take DD to the PS for flute practice at 1PM.  Layering is my best friend.  I wear heavy wool socks, long underwear (not cotton as it will absorb moisture and chill me if I exert myself and sweat), jeans, turtleneck, wool sweater, warm boots, wind-stopper vest, hat, mittens, wool coat, scarf (I've crocheted these using double yarn thickness).  If I have to be out in the barn or working, I'll throw my rabbit-fur hat and ski pants on.  When I wear my ski pants, I usually wear my thick fleece pants underneath rather than jeans.  BTW: thick fleece pants with long johns underneath will keep you warm in the house all day.  Fleece is WONDERFUL if you get cold easily.

Another thing that keeps me warm, oddly enough, is to put a thick lotion on my arms and legs.  Something like Aquaphor or the generic brand.  It closes your pores and traps your heat.

We live in an old farmhouse. While in the house, we keep the woodstove stocked and blasting.  This cuts down our fuel consumption tremendously, but we have turned up the heat the last few days due to the extreme temps.  The house is staying at about 62 in the AM and 67 in PM.  DD and I are schooling at the dining room table (central area of the house) where the woodstove is located. It's nice and toasty.  I also drink hot tea on and off throughout the day or plenty of water.

We turn on the electric heating pad for our bed 15 mins. prior to bedtime, then turn it off once we're snuggled in.  We use flannel sheets in the winter. I've crocheted several afghans and a large lap robe for the living room to use during deep freezes like we're having now.

That's about all I can think of that we do.

Well, if you're me, you put on a scarf and gloves. And either wear a hooded sweater or grab a hat, with your winter coat.

If you're my children, you *might* put on a hoodie and gloves. Possibly a hat, but you'll try your very hardest to avoid a winter jacket at all!?!? And only wear ski-pants for actual outdoor fun such as sledding or snowmobiling - and only because you were told you must to have them on to be permitted to leave the house.

I melt in anything warmer than 80- literally feel like I am melting. I am all for cold weather, love my sweaters and jeans, but some of the temps you all are talking about make me shiver! It is 15F with a windchill of 0 to -5F here today and I am already considering hibernating until April! I give all of you in colder climates TONS of credit!!

I say buy hand and toe warmers...seriously I tried toe warmers for the first time yesterday and they were amazing. It was actually above zero and my family thought I was crazy to,wear them yesterday when I did not wear them at -30 or lower but my feet were cold yesterday.

Also layers and wool socks. take a warm blanket and wrap it around you to keep out wind and make a cocoon of warmth for you body. A thermose of hot cocoa?

If all else fails you can go sit in your car with the heater running to warm up. I bet another mom would join you for some chit chat.

Hugs as you work to stay warm.

Here in MN, over by Fargo, you just have to admit that it's cold and dress for it. Best decision I ever made was to buy proper, high quality winter gear for all of us. We can't afford the remote starters and they only work if your car is close to the building, and I can only dream of a car with heated seats, but both are amazing!  Lots of soups and hot drinks.  It is survivable!  And SPRING is so glorious; it is almost an intoxicating experience when the first sunny 50 degree day hits.  People pour out of house and everyone is smiling.

And on the plus side, summer is NOT hideously hot.  I'll take cold over hot any day.  :-)

As I sit here inside a sleeping bag, the wood stove is pumping heated air into the three rooms we've walled off with quilts hung from hooks - DIY zoned heating. I also built interior storm windows to cover the leaky double-hungs.

On days like this, school is on the floor in front of the stove.

Good excuse to bake.

And SPRING is so glorious; it is almost an intoxicating experience when the first sunny 50 degree day hits.  People pour out of house and everyone is smiling.

This is absolutely true! Sometimes I get tired of the winter, but the incredible miracle of spring does make up for a lot. I never appreciated spring so much when I lived in more temperate climates.

You don't really get used to it, but you do learn ways to cope with it. 

Extra layers - more than you think you need. Daily deep-freeze winter wear for me is:

• on top = camisole or tank top, long sleeve tee shirt, button down shirt and pull-over or tank top, long sleeve tee shirt and sweater
  • on bottom = thick winter socks (wool or acrylic thermal blend ones), regular underwear, long underwear or leggings or wool tights, pants
  • If I have to go out, then I put on a jacket and a heavy coat over that, plus a touque or other knit hat and fleece lined leather gloves or thermal lined wool mitts.

Purchase and use good quality winter wear - people seem to be especially unaware of what constitutes proper foot and head wear.  Good, well-insulated boots are a must.  If your feet get cold, you will have a hard time getting to where you feel warm again.  A warm hat with full coverage is a must. You lose an enormous amount of body heat from your head.

Planning activities with more attention to the weather - so, if you have to take the car out, combine as many errands/stops as possible in one trip and look at the forecast for a day in the week that will be more mild, then hope it really is.