Menu

HE washers...are they REALLY better than the old ones?

ProudGrandma

I just bought an new HE machine (previous owner of an old agitator machine) and I am really wondering if my clothes and such are cleaner or not.  I mostly notice it with our Guinea Pig fleece, just because that is the dirtiest stuff I usually put in the machine. 

Am I missing something...or not doing something right...or am I the only one who wonders about this....

I LOVE the HUGE tub and the quietness and such of the machine....but I am wondering if it's really better.

What do you all think??

Much better for water saving, and because of the high spin speeds supposedly you use less energy if you dry clothes in a dryer.

As far as being cleaner or not, I've always been happy with the way my front loading HE machines have cleaned.  But I was also happy with the way my top loading machines cleaned, too.  I don't really see much difference.

Guinea pig bedding is some really nasty stuff.  It's tough to get clean.  I tried fleece bedding years ago when we had a GP and . . ..  no.  Just no.

I've never heard that they cleaned the clothes better.

I love mine because we're on a well and it means I can wash more clothes without running the week dry. It's a PITA to have to buy a truck lad of water and prime the water pump.

I also love that unloading it is just pulling the clothes out into a basket rather then lifting them out.

I guess if you analyzed the clothes at the microscopic level you might find they clean better.  Not sure.  I do know that we got it not because they were supposed to clean better but because, as others have said, it uses less water, less energy, and has a lot of space.  I also love the ease of moving things from the washer to the dryer and the dryer to the basket.  I am short and having to lean over on tiptoe to reach inside my machines was a pain.

I just bought an new HE machine (previous owner of an old agitator machine) and I am really wondering if my clothes and such are cleaner or not. I mostly notice it with our Guinea Pig fleece, just because that is the dirtiest stuff I usually put in the machine.

Am I missing something...or not doing something right...or am I the only one who wonders about this....

I LOVE the HUGE tub and the quietness and such of the machine....but I am wondering if it's really better.

What do you all think??

AMDG

I do not think they're better overall.

For our regular clothing that just doesn't get all that dirty, it's fine.

For very dirty but especially for very hairy (think pet bed covers, et c), it isn't nearly as good.

It also takes twice as long to wash so while it may use less water, surely it's using more electricity.

I tolerate mine. I can't give a more glowing report than that.

We got rid of our front loader. It's REALLY difficult to keep the seal clean (where the door closes? not sure what to call that). I was bleaching it every couple of weeks to keep the mildew at bay. I don't want to spend more time washing my washing machine than I spend doing laundry lol. I prefer my top loader, but being 5'1 it WAS nice to not have to practically jump INTO the machine to get the lil child-sized socks at the bottom. 

I think top loaders clean better. I never bothered to pre-treat anything when I had a top loader. Now I have to pay attention when something is going in extra soiled. Our workout clothes also don't come out smelling fresh all the time, and l have to send a shirt through the next load sometimes.

The benefits to the front loader are the water/energy savings, and they are gentler on your clothes. But they don't clean better.

AMDG

For very dirty but especially for very hairy (think pet bed covers, et c), it isn't nearly as good.

It also takes twice as long to wash so while it may use less water, surely it's using more electricity.

Ugh, I forgot about the pet hair -agreeing with you on that.

About the longer load cycles. The 2 front loaders I've used have rather long periods of silence. (Soaking time? Not sure). So I don't think they are using much electricity throughout the cycle, whereas a top loader seems to be "going" most of the time.

when you add oxiclean...do you just put it in the machine on top of the clothes? I have been putting vinegar on top of the guinea pig fleece....but not 100% sure that was right either....but there isn't a "slot" for vinegar...just soap and fabric softener.

I use oxyclean in loads with my workout clothes, when I remember to.

Just put a scoop in the barrel either before or after you out the clothes in.

I don't think they clean as well. I have an HE top-load, and my dd's still have agitator machines. I KNOW the cloth diapers don't seem as clean out of my machine as out of theirs.

I can't make that kind of comparison, but I love that my top loading Speed Queen lets *me* to decide if I want to use extra water for dirty things.

I hated both of the HE front loaders I had.  The clothes often stank after washing.  The cycles were looooooong.  And if something broke (which was way too soon after we got it) then it was extremely expensive to fix.  After the last one broke we replaced it with a totally mechanical commercial Speed Queen top loader.  My clothes are so fresh and clean now!  And the wash cycle is only 20 minutes!  

Top loading or front loading?

I've had a front-load washer for about eight years and love it. I've never had to bleach/clean the seal on the door, and my clothes are always clean and fresh-smelling. I blame it on my Amway laundry products. :-)

I plan always to have a front loader. :-)

I cannot speak to the new top-loading machines that don't have agitators, though.

We changed to a front-loader in October and I have been pleasantly surprised by how well I like it.  I haven't noticed any problem with items getting clean but I don't do pet laundry or diapers :)  

I am very happy with less water use.  We are on a well and also have a septic tank/leach field.  I'm very pleased that it's easier on both of those systems.  Water use was the main reason for our decision.

I won't go back to an agitator.  I can wash down now, and it comes out like new - you can't do that with an agitator.  I can wash delicate/hand wash items now and they come out wonderfully - can't do that with an agitator.

eta: I had a 'maytag', made by whirlpool (absolute piece of garbage.  glad I actually bought the extended warranty - and I collected!) I did have to use oxy-clean do avoid any mildew, even with leaving the door open to dry.  I now have a LG (which I'm much happier with), and I only use oxy-clean when I have stuff that needs the boost.  haven't noticed any smell.

occasionally I'll have issues with it not extracting the water adequately, I've found it's usually because the spin speed was too high and redoing the spin at a lower speed solves the problem.

Another happy HE front-load user here. We do not have extremely dirty clothes, so no huge tests of its cleaning ability, but it's always cleaned our stuff just fine. As others have said, the biggest advantage is the decreased water use and ESPECIALLY for me, the decreased dryer time required due to how much water gets spun out. I do nothing special to take care of the machine and don't have an odor problem. We do have problems with plastic parts on all appliances you get these days--dh is pretty handy and has been able to replace what gets broken. For the washer, I recall problems with the plastic(!) parts that hold the tub in place--those had to be replaced. Probably will again at some point too. But those issues seem to be universal with appliances large and small these days.

Water is expensive here, so HE is the way to go. I had an entry-level front loader for 11 years, and it did a good job. Now we have a fancy front loader with all the bells and whistles, including the option of a 40 minute "turbo" cycle. I'm very happy with the purchase. It's good with pet hair too; the hair collects in the gasket for easy cleaning.

I love the idea of the HE front loader and I think they wash just fine, but I must get lemons or something. :( The first one we had worked well for only about 2 years and then started tearing holes in random clothing. The Rubber seal broke so we replaced it but not soon after we had the same problem. Eventually we took it in to have it looked at and they said the bearings were shot. This was when is was not even 4 years old. We then bought a new one and this one will be 2 years old this coming spring. We have already had to replace the rubber seal 3 times and I noticed last night that it needs a new one because it is torn up again. :cursing: We had to fight like crazy to get them to pay for replacement when it was still under warranty, and it isn't any more. This one also occasionally rips up clothes and I try my best not to overload it but it doesn't help. Am I the only one that has the problem of their FL washer tear clothing? This is getting so old.

I love the idea of the HE front loader and I think they wash just fine, but I must get lemons or something. :( The first one we had worked well for only about 2 years and then started tearing holes in random clothing. The Rubber seal broke so we replaced it but not soon after we had the same problem. Eventually we took it in to have it looked at and they said the bearings were shot. This was when is was not even 4 years old. We then bought a new one and this one will be 2 years old this coming spring. We have already had to replace the rubber seal 3 times and I noticed last night that it needs a new one because it is torn up again. :cursing: We had to fight like crazy to get them to pay for replacement when it was still under warranty, and it isn't any more. This one also occasionally rips up clothes and I try my best not to overload it but it doesn't help. Am I the only one that has the problem of their FL washer tear clothing? This is getting so old.

IKWYM.  :grouphug:  My first front loader was a lemon. :cursing: 

After the front-loader debacle, which was not unlike yours, we bought a four-year-old washer-and-dryer Maytag set from a friend and happily used them for about 16 years. When it came time to replace them, I wanted a front loader again because they clean better and use less detergent, water, and energy than top loaders (which has always been true, even before the term "high efficiency" was invented, lol), but I was a little skeered, lol. I bought a Frigidaire set (smaller than the big ginormous ones, although still full-size; they can be stacked.), and I paid for the extended warranty. They're about eight years old now and still going strong.

After the front-loader debacle, which was not unlike yours, we bought a four-year-old washer-and-dryer Maytag set from a friend and happily used them for about 16 years. When it came time to replace them, I wanted a front loader again because they clean better and use less detergent, water, and energy than top loaders (which has always been true, even before the term "high efficiency" was invented, lol), but I was a little skeered, lol. I bought a Frigidaire set (smaller than the big ginormous ones, although still full-size; they can be stacked.), and I paid for the extended warranty. They're about eight years old now and still going strong.

Maybe there is hope. I know a lot of other people with front loaders and they don't have the same problems. Although my mom had one that the bearings died in that was only a few years old also but Costco actually replaced hers, because she bought it there with the extended warranty. I was so mad last time we had to replace the seal and the repair guy asked so what are you washing in there? Um clothing, oh and rocks and sticks you know. :willy_nilly:

We have a nice front loading set. Over 6 years now and no real complaints. Only one minor repair and that was because we weren't aware of how to clean out the filter trap thing-a-ma-bob. Never had clothes stink unless I left them (same as top loaders) and I wipe down the seal. I wouldn't say I love it. its an appliance after all but I am happy to have it and satisfied this far with our purchase. I was glad to find an apartment with w/d hookups versus a machine in the unit because I was glad to not have to sell or store my set. Ours is a step up from entry level and a step down from all the bells and whistles fancy.

There is a 30 min express wash option for small or lightly soiled loads. That gets most of our stuff clean. We use way less water.

I don't think they clean better. I used a laundromat when I was between machines and I thought the commercial front loaders cleaned my clothes the same, but made some things look more worn. They also took forever.

Where I live, the water is good and not nearly as expensive as power, so I stuck with a top loader. My previous TL lasted 18 years and I was always happy with it. I now have a Speed Queen TL and I'm happy again. It spins the clothes just as well as the commercial front loaders. Like I said though, I don't deal with expensive or hard water and I do like to soak things when I want to or to run a shorter cycle when I need to. After years of using a trouble-free top loader I wasn't up for gambling on a front-loader that had a computer chip or might have a mildew/leave-the-door-open thing going on.

Our old top loading traditional washer bit the dust this summer.  Actually, it died some time in the Spring, but I kept it alive for about 6 months by jumpstarting the spin cycle each time I washed clothes....

So far, our new HE front loader hasn't had any problems.  Clothes seem clean, no holes, no stink, etc.  I hadn't noticed a big difference in the level of clean until I washed my coat:

I have a lovely red coat from Lands End.  I've had it for about 3 years.  I wash it about once a year.  I washed it last fall, and the sleeve cuffs were still a little bit grimy and brown after I washed it.  I washed it again last spring before putting it away, and noticed that the sleeve cuffs were still a little "brown".  Not really yucky, but not perfectly clean.  I figured it was sort of stained.

SO - I recently washed my coat in my new washing machine - and the first time I wore it, I looked down at my sleeves and was surprised to see that they were really and truly clean - all red!  No brown stains!  Yay!  I love that new washing machine!

I have also noticed a nice reduction in our water bill.

I have 10 year old Duets and don't have a problem with them.  They were made in a different country that the current ones and the sales person I talked to a few years ago (we were thinking about buying new ones) said I have the 'good Duets' for whatever that is worth and to hold on to them even if I need to wipe the seal on occasion.

I replaced the door handle for $9 and that is it.

Our clothes come out very clean but we live in a city and don't have pets.  The worst our clothes see is a grass stain LOL.

In cloth diaper world, many people successfully use HE machines, but most still prefer top loaders. A few with HEs even by a cheap top loader just for diapers.

I used prefolds and didn't have a problem, even in an entry level FL without a sanitary cycle. If I'd used fitteds I would have want to have heard success stories from people using an HE front loader (particularly the ones without an option for extra water) before buying. I suspect our current washer would be fine, but not the entry level one we started out with... it simply didn't use enough water and didn't have options for pre-soak, pre-wash, or extra rinses.

I still have my old machine, and if I have something weird that needs a lot of abrasion to get clean, I put it in there.  You might try making sure the GP stuff is in with other abrasive things to get some friction as it rolls.  Try adding oxiclean to it or using hotter water.  They reset the temp levels on these newer machines, so "warm" on your HE machine is NOT warm like it was on your old top loader.  You probably have to set it to HOT to get what used to be warm.

AMDG

Totally agree with this. I would take my old machine back in a heartbeat. This thing now takes twice as long to do a load.

We sold ours.  Our clothes were not getting clean.  There were spots on our clothes.  If I did not immedietly open the washer after the cycle completed everything would start to stink.  We tried vinegar  and wiping all the parts out, even underneath the rubber etc.  Ugh..just terrible.  My Mom had the same problem and she even had another brand.   I now have a cheap toploader and I love that thing!