Menu

A fun domestic poll regarding sheet changing.

GSOchristie

I change my kids sheets...  

150 members have voted

1. 1. I change my young kids' sheets

• More than weekly, because I really like clean sheets for my kids
    • Weekly, no matter what, they're dirty little people
    • Every other week, because really, they aren't that dirty
    • Monthly, they don't care so it doesn't bother me
    • Other

So today is Saturday, sheet changing day at our house.  My boys strip their beds and take them to the laundry room, but I still have to make four beds, two queens, a full, and  a twin.  I feel like a hotel maid on Saturday morning.  Not to mention I have to wash, dry, fold and put away all that bedding.  A thought occurred to me yesterday that maybe since they are little and bathe right before bed, that I might consider changing their bedding every other week.  My mom would be horrified, and I will admit, fresh clean sheets are one of my favorite things, so how important do you consider weekly sheet changes for littles?  I will add that my kids make their own beds, so Saturday is the only day I have to deal with the bedding other than my own.

We had no schedule for changing sheets.  We still don't.  When I (or they - ha, ha) felt they were dirty they got changed.  It could be daily (anyone else have bed wetting episodes?) or I suppose it could be a month in between (not sure it went that long).  In any event, everyone stayed happy, so there was no reason to go with a schedule.

Why do you fold and put away? Just put them right back on the bed.  :)

I voted Other--it used to be about once a week, but now we are more lax. Dd takes her showers at night, so she's cleaner than her brothers were when they were teens. But when they were all very little (under 6) they'd bathe at night, and we still did once a week or so (we used to have Saturday morning chores all together as a family). 

I change all sheets in the house weekly. However, I do not do them all on the same day. Each bedroom gets done on a different day.

My MIL has told me off repeatedly for  changing sheets weekly. She has told me that  monthly is the absolute minimum, and 3 months between changing  is fine. :ack2:

Um, yuck  :ack2: .  There was a Clorox commercial a few years ago that comes to my mind when I go longer than a week with my own.

I know they are just messing with my mind, but it still is a very vivid picture for me :).

I change all sheets in the house weekly. However, I do not do them all on the same day. Each bedroom gets done on a different day.

Why do you fold and put away? Just put them right back on the bed.  :)

All sheets are changed weekly here.  Not because mine are little or dirty, but because I think weekly sheet changing is a basic cleanliness issue.  Like Melissa, I do one bed per day-- one on Monday, one on Tuesday and one on Wednesday.  And like Chris, I strip the bed, wash/dry and put the same sheets back on.  Folding and putting away is inefficient, IMO.

I try to get mine done weekly, but it ends up every other week. I don't fold sheets though. On each bed we have layered a mattress protector, sheets, another mattress protector, another set of sheets, and blankets. This way, when we have middle of the night bedwetting or illness, it's easy to strip the top layer and still have a bed made up to sleep on. During winter, the kids have an extra blanket but no flat sheet, so that's one less thing to wash.

I do weekly. Each child is given a day on which I do their laundry, change and wash sheets, and do a deep clean of their room. Duvets, mattress pads, and pillows are aired while linen is washing.

These are good ideas, particularly this.  I could get all one kid's laundry done on one day, thereby splitting laundry into three days, hmmmm, I might have to revamp my cleaning schedule to incorporate this idea.  I like the idea of airing pillows and quilts, too.  

We have 3-4 sets of sheets per bed. I rotate them to help them last longer and for season (my sons love flannel in the winter, not so much on the summer for example). So I definitely fold and put away. This also covers me when a bed has to be stripped on a non laundry day- accidents, be they pee or childhood silliness with art supplies or drinks, happen. I have the boys strip their bed but also help make them. I'd rather do all three at once than stretch it out and have a bed to make up three days a week.

This said, I personally don't have any problem with going to an e/o week schedule for the kids beds. Weekly is what I do but I don't consider it to be the only valid option. Mostly I do it because when I was a kid we often had mismatch or no sheets and they weren't cleaned for long stretches until I was older I did it myself. I hated that, so I shifted gears with my own family.

My biggest short cut is that I don't tuck the top sheet or the blanket except along the foot of the bed. Saves a lot of time. Also "making beds" here is something that means "sorta kinda smooth out the top sheet and blankets". Way less work. Especially on bunk beds!

I think we're going to go to every other week for the winter, esp Sweet P, she wears footed pj's and a diaper, the only part of her that's touching the sheets is her head and hands.  I asked Asher and he said he wanted to keep doing it every week, Jax didn't care.  I like the one set per day and do all that kid's laundry that day, I think I will get them their own hampers, which they will like.  They don't wet the beds ever, so that is not a concern.  

I voted every other week, because when my kids were younger, they took baths at night and so they were clean when they got into bed. I didn't see the need to wash them weekly. At around 13, my kids started doing their own laundry, including sheets. One of mine rarely changed sheets, another probably did it every two or three weeks, and the youngest probably does it once a month. They are all very clean people in terms of personal hygiene and are very healthy. So I'm guessing their sheet washing schedule suffices. I still wash mine every other week.

Because of allergies, I do kids beds weekly. I just put them straight from the dryer back on the beds though. If a child bathes/showers before bed, I don't think changing less often is the least bit uncleanly. I think I would do less often if we didn't have the allergy piece.

I voted other. My kids don't have sheets! We all have waterbeds. They have a full comforter tucked in over the waterbed mattress as their bottom cover. They couldn't make the bed with sheets on a waterbed, so this was my solution. They have another comforter as a top cover. I wash youngest and ours when they seem to need it. I have no schedule. Teenager daughter knows where the laundry room is and can wash or not wash whenever she wants. Typically, she sleeps on TOP of both covers with her favorite throw blanket, so technically her bottom cover never gets exposed. Clear as mud, huh?