Menu

What dog for my family? Want a cat-like dog, I think!

poppy

My daughter has been asking.  It's the only thing on her letter to Santa.

Kids are 5 and 3.  Probably too young, right?

But I'm tempted anyway.

If I get a dog, it'll be from a shelter or rescue, just looking for broad outlines of types of dogs to go for and types to avoid.
I've never had a dog.

Here's my criteria:

Not too big or needing too much exercise - I have a small house and a small yard. (I do expect to do daily walks).

Able to remain even keeled in a rambunctious, noisy house.

No slobber! No major grooming, if possible.

Not frantic. My aunt has a rat terrier and that dog is always moving and looking and sniffing and wriggilng and it's annoying.

Will be  a good companion for kids & me.

Basically I'm looking for a dog that is relatively easy in temperament, easy to maintain and affectionate. Does such a dog exist? My husband says "Yes, a cat!" But we have one of those, and it's not the same.

Would LOVE advice!

Work with local rescues - not necessarily shelters, but rescues for different breeds.  Because those dogs usually stay in foster homes, the foster usually knows the dog's personality.  They will know more about which dog is right for you, rather than picking up one at the shelter.  They also usually allow a trial period.  We just found my 80yo mum the most awesome dog ever - just the right combo of playful and laid back.  The rescue people were great matching a dog with my mom's needs/desires.

You could adopt an older dog who would be naturally less energetic. Goldens (older) would fit most of your requirements as long as you take them on nice, long walks. May be too big, but I love big dogs. We lost a Golden this summer who was 100 lbs of sweetness. She was very chill and wanted nothing more than to lie on your feet or sit with her head in your lap. Our remaining Golden is only 50 lbs.

Some rescue groups will not adopt to families with kids under 5, especially with first timers. Most good ones will be VERY wary of people adopting around Christmas. Try not to take it personally. They're trying to do their best! :)

We have a "cog."  It is rescue that is part pekingese (mother, father unknown).  She is about 10-11 lbs and I really think that she thinks she is a cat.  She likes to be held and have much attention paid to her. She curls up with us on cold winter nights.

We also have a schnauzer/lhasa that is a rescue.  She is not quite as cuddly as the "cog" but she is always close by when we school.  Sometimes I think she is the only one fully paying attention.  She looks so wise and attentive as we read aloud or discuss various topics.  Every night, she curls up at the foot of dd's bed.  If someone is sick, she sticks close by to offer comfort.

My dog is a lot like that.  I  have a maltese-shitzu.  The only thing is the grooming.  We keep his hair in a "puppy cut" but that means taking him to the groomers every 6 weeks or cutting his hair ourselves.  He's so laid back that I can do it but I prefer the groomer to do it since they also do the anal glands.  He's about 12 lbs, does not yip, isn't rambunctious although does love to play fetch about twice a day or chase the cats, and loves just hanging out with us.  

However, if you're getting a shelter/rescue dog, it really doesn't matter the breed.  Every dog is different and it will depend a lot on their personality and how they were treated.  You might consider going the foster route but that may be difficult with kids so little.  Definitely spend lots of time talking to whomever is in charge of the dogs.  Lots of shelters now use foster homes so they do get to know the dog's personality.  You might even try petfinder.com.  Search your local animals right there.  

That sounds just like our peek-a-poo. We even call her a cat dog because of her cat like tendencies and because she is the same size as our cats.. Plus, she sleeps on the back of the chair just like a cat. Most of all, she is a great companion, always where we are without being in the middle of it, and loves us beyond all reason. 

Google "Japanese Chin." The descriptions all say "cat-like." I met one once who was a doll, very playful and easy to love, so I investigated the breed to see if it was one I would ever consider. All of the mentions of cat-like behavior made me think "no," but for another family, I could see the attraction.

I don't think your kid are too young to have a dog, as long as you realize that all of the responsibility for care and feeding will fall to you.

Have you considered a Sheltie or a Border Collie? Both are incredibly smart and easy to train. They are also excellent family dogs.

Am clueless enough I will have to google those. And the others. But thanks for the leads, all!

And I do totally understand why a rescue would hesitate to give out dogs to be Christmas gifts. I was thinking of doing a late- winter search. I don't really want to spend the coldest months of the year getting into a new doggy routine.

Am clueless enough I will have to google those. And the others. But thanks for the leads, all!

And I do totally understand why a rescue would hesitate to give out dogs to be Christmas gifts. I was thinking of doing a late- winter search. I don't really want to spend the coldest months of the year getting into a new doggy routine.

The biggest and most important questions you need to ask the rescue organization (after being sure a particular dog is good with young children,) is whether or not the dog is fully housebroken. Don't be a hero and take a dog that's super-cute and great with the kids, but that is only "mostly housebroken." If it's an adult dog and you're a novice dog owner, you could be setting yourself up for a very rough time!

Be honest with the rescue organization and let them know you need a dog that is already well-trained, that comes when he or she is called, and that isn't prone to running away every time someone opens a door.

You should also be sure that you can return the dog within a specified period of time if he doesn't fit in with your family.

The rescue places can be odd like that.  Yep, I said it, odd!

The first time I went to get a cat at the shelter they gave me a hard time because I simply had little kids.  They wanted all kinds of nonsense. 

I was appalled the first time I adopted a kitten. The rescue folks not only made me fill out a form saying my apartment allowed cats- they also called my landlord (in front of me) to verify.  But now, I get it. Some people are flaky or liars or just no good. And they don't want to get the poor cat back again.

The rescue places can be odd like that.  Yep, I said it, odd!

The first time I went to get a cat at the shelter they gave me a hard time because I simply had little kids.  They wanted all kinds of nonsense. 

Odd is not the word I would use for most of the rescues I've encountered. Outright ridiculous is more like it.  I understand they bond with the dogs/cats and want to make sure they are rehoming to a forever home but it is not rocket science.  I've had dogs my entire life, worked as a vet tech, have a BS in Animal Science, run my own pet sitting business, train dogs professionally, and they wouldn't even consider me for one of their dogs because I had a 3 month old baby.  It didn't matter that I already had another dog and clearly knew more about dogs than they did.  This was multiple shelters.  Silly.  So I went right into a pet store and bought the dog I've ALWAYS wanted (Pembroke Welsh Corgi) and didn't feel guilty about it one bit!!! Best dog I've ever had too, she was house broken in 4 days.

Sorry, Catwoman, but I would NOT recommend a Sheltie or Border Collie for the OP.  They're pretty much polar opposites in terms of temperment and exercise needs from what she's looking for.

From what I know, Japanese Chins are very cat like.  But . . . it's very unlikely you'd find many of them in rescue.  And it's very, very, very unlikely that a reputable rescue would adopt such a small dog into a home with such young children.  Small, fragile dogs and even the best behaved young children are just not good matches.

I hesitate to recommend breeds, because from what I understand from all my dog friend contacts across the country, temperments (and stability) within breeds can really vary significantly depending on what breeders in a particular area are producing.  But in your shoes I would be inclined to look at a few beagles.  Most of them are very good with children, and some of them are lazy couch potatoes.  The ones I see here are very steady, reliable dogs.  The biggest issue with living with one is that they're totally ruled by their noses.  A Greyhound could work, but some of them tend to be a little nervous and wouldn't do well in a rambunctious, noisy house.  But Greyhound rescues are normally very good about finding a good fit.

Sometimes the best dog is a good ole Heinz 57 mix.

As some of the others have said, I'd find a good rescue or two in your area and work with them.  Most of them really do want to match dogs with the right homes.  And a good rescue will be very picky about placing a dog in a home with such young kids.  And that's a good thing for all concerned.

I was appalled the first time I adopted a kitten. The rescue folks not only made me fill out a form saying my apartment allowed cats- they also called my landlord (in front of me) to verify.  But now, I get it. Some people are flaky or liars or just no good. And they don't want to get the poor cat back again.

Oh yes.  You wouldn't believe the lies our rescue has been told.  The honest people think a lot of rescue groups are nuts, but if they knew how many people lie, and the things they lie about . . . :cursing:

I don't think your kid are too young to have a dog, as long as you realize that all of the responsibility for care and feeding will fall to you.

Have you considered a Sheltie or a Border Collie? Both are incredibly smart and easy to train. They are also excellent family dogs.

I not sure I have ever disagreed with you more. Both of these breeds are badly suited to a family that wants a calm dog who does not need a lot of exercise. I have rarely met a border collie who did not need a LOT of exercise. Shelties maybe need a little less, but they need more than many breeds, plus many of them are problem barkers. I adore both breeds, but would never recommend either to a first time dog owner who doesn't even really want a dog and can only offer a walk a day in terms of exercise.

I thinking the OP should adopt an adult dog and should consider a pug.

OP, do you want a dog? or do you just want to please your child because that is all she wants.  I don't think your children are too young for a dog,  I got a new dog when my oldest was 3 months old.  But I do think getting a dog with kids that are your kids' ages might not be a good idea unless you are absolutely on board with it.  Those are a lot of requirements in a dog (not necessarily unrealistic ones) but for someone who know little about dogs my worry is what will happen if they end up not meeting those requirements.  

That being said Welsh Corgi!!  they have a lot of hair but the only grooming required is brushing every once and awhile,  no cutting.  Mine even trims her own nails (not that that is normal)

Our short-haired dachshund fits all of the criteria you mentioned. Extremely easy-going guy, easy to groom and very loving too. But be aware that small dogs are called ankle biters for a reason. :) My first suggestion though is to wait till the kids are older.

I not sure I have ever disagreed with you more. Both of these breeds are badly suited to a family that wants a calm dog who does not need a lot of exercise. I have rarely met a border collie who did not need a LOT of exercise. Shelties maybe need a little less, but they need more than many breeds, plus many of them are problem barkers. I adore both breeds, but would never recommend either to a first time dog owner who doesn't even really want a dog and can only offer a walk a day in terms of exercise.

:iagree:   Those 2 breeds are NOT calm dogs that need little exercise! 

I recommend to look at the temperament of the dog and be flexible about the breed, but it sounds like we are on the same page with this matter. My beloved companion of 13 years was a gentle shepherd mix who found me when I went to Petsmart to buy fish food. A pet adoption group was there and she calmly stood in the middle of a group of young, excited children who were pulling on her leash, lifting up her ears and running all around her. She allowed all this rough-housing and chaos with extreme gentleness and patience, and I took her home with me along with the fish food. There is also the story about my kind Korean neighbors, a UPS package of dried squid, and this dog, but I digress... :)

Good luck with your cat-dog search! With all the great dogs in the world, you are bound to find one who fits right in with your family. :)

I would say for the various breeds that people are suggesting and all the qualities you want, you will have to either pay big money or get real lucky.   Those breeds are not just sitting at a pound waiting for someone to adopt them.   

We got a dog 2 years ago and although we love him and everything, a cat would have been 10 times easier.   So with that age group, I'd either wait or get a cat.  

We have a cavalier King Charles spaniel and even as a puppy he's chill and great with the kids. He spends most of his time sleeping in a chair with one of my girls although he is up for running around with my three year old and one year old. He's on the little side, about 12 lbs. He looks exactly like a tiny version of Lady from Lady and the Tramp.

I had a long post typed up, and my computer deleted it. Anyway, I was recommending the Shih Tzu breed. Other than the grooming, they meet all of your requirements. We have a girl thats almost 3, and she's the best! Can't imagine our family without her. I groom her myself, and she does great with it. 

She isn't fidgety, like the Terrier breeds tend to be, no barking at all, unless someone knocks on the door. She is fantastic with the kids. She goes outside and plays fetch and chase with them, but she's perfectly happy laying on the couch with them while they read. 

We have a cavalier King Charles spaniel and even as a puppy he's chill and great with the kids. He spends most of his time sleeping in a chair with one of my girls although he is up for running around with my three year old and one year old. He's on the little side, about 12 lbs. He looks exactly like a tiny version of Lady from Lady and the Tramp.

I love our cavi. He loves to play if we want to play, and he loves to cuddle if we just want to sit and snuggle. He fits the OP's wish list to a T, but I hesitated to suggest this breed because of the cost. If you can find one in a rescue, they really are lovely companions.

I have always heard that if you want a cat in dog's clothing, you need to get a greyhound. (But, we have only cats, so I'm definitely not up on all the various dog breed/type info.)

I used to have a rescue greyhound - she was a great dog. Lazy, lazy. I used to take her to a little baseball diamond that was all fenced in, and I'd take off her leash - she'd run one lap, and she'd be spent!

The only issue with the greyhounds is that they can never be off their leashes. The smallest thing could set them running, and ones they take off, they're gone. They also require special collars so they don't injure their necks.

Awesome dogs though, and fantastic with kids!

We have a puggle, which can often be found in shelters. He is a great mix of playful and snuggly, he's fine with a daily walk and a play session (he loves to chase a laser light for as long as someone will do it with him!) and he is not overly large. (Ours seems to have more beagle than pug, so he is larger than most puggles. He is also black and white instead of the more common fawn color.) He can be a bit of a barker at times, especially if the window is open in the summer. He loves everyone in the house and manages to make us all feel like we are his special person. He has a great, goofy personality and communicates more than any other dog we have had. I posted a few weeks ago about how he barked at my mother in law, who fell asleep on the couch, and made her follow him to where my father in law had fallen out of bed. He is an amazing dog! Other than nail clipping at the vet, he only gets the occasional bath when we board him, and I will brush him a bit when it is shedding season. I've never taken him to a groomer. 

:iagree:   Those 2 breeds are NOT calm dogs that need little exercise!

I'm not a Pug person, so I wouldn't recommend one. :)

We have had both border collies and Shelties, and they were fun and energetic, but not hyper, and they were amazingly smart and easy to train. The OP has kids who will play with the dog every day, so I stand by my recommendation.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. :)

I have always heard that if you want a cat in dog's clothing, you need to get a greyhound. (But, we have only cats, so I'm definitely not up on all the various dog breed/type info.)

I have a greyhound mix. He's very cat-like. He sleeps most of the day, isn't destructive, isn't motivated by food, and doesn't care if we are on any kind of schedule. He's weird though and a bit neurotic. He barks like a maniac when someone comes to the door, but goes back to sleep soon after they are in and settled. He barks if someone picks someone else up, so if you carry a baby around he thinks that's strange and barks until you put down the kid or sit down with it. (I don't HAVE a baby, so this rarely comes up.)

Weirdness aside, he's easy to own, doesn't eat that much, and is fine being let out in the yard a few times a day rather than walked. Still, I'm not sure I'd recommend ANY dog in your situation. It sounds like you're looking for a convenient dog and they will ALL be inconvenient compared to a cat. You can't leave them home overnight. Having a puppy is a lot like taking care of a baby . . . It's constant and time-consuming and they all do things you don't expect. Very often these things land them back in the pound.

We adopted a Shih Tzu Pomeranian mix. Non shedding, non barking, non jumping, non slobbering. He is 3 now. I wish we had adopted a dog three years earlier. He is so good, so much fun, so adorable. He makes everyone in the family happier. Dh is less moody because of him.

Get a shih tzu, or a shih tzu poodle mix, or shih tzu anything mix.

We bought a grooming kit and cut his hair every two months. It is so woth it!

I would say for the various breeds that people are suggesting and all the qualities you want, you will have to either pay big money or get real lucky.   Those breeds are not just sitting at a pound waiting for someone to adopt them.    

I agree. Ours was actually at a small but crowded adoption fair organized by the shelter and our local Petco, sitting around because everyone else was enamored by the energetic chihuahua and exuberant jack russell and weren't as interested as we were in a quiet, calm dog. So we got really lucky, I should say, to be at the right place at the right time. I couldn't believe that someone had not put in an application for him yet. He's a very handsome guy, just thin at the time and a little sad and scared looking. We were actually planning to pick up a Corgi puppy from a breeder and decided to stop by there first and give a rescue dog a chance if we could. I'm so glad we did. He has brought us so much happiness and we are so lucky to have him. :001_wub:

I know I mentioned I suggest waiting but if you think you can handle it OP, then I am happy for you. It is a lot of work, just be aware. I wish you all the best in finding a companion for your family.

I had a long post typed up, and my computer deleted it. Anyway, I was recommending the Shih Tzu breed. Other than the grooming, they meet all of your requirements. We have a girl thats almost 3, and she's the best! Can't imagine our family without her. I groom her myself, and she does great with it. 

She isn't fidgety, like the Terrier breeds tend to be, no barking at all, unless someone knocks on the door. She is fantastic with the kids. She goes outside and plays fetch and chase with them, but she's perfectly happy laying on the couch with them while they read. 

I have a friend with a Shih Tzu, and hers is just the same.  I only have cats right now due to our lifestyle, but I was always a 'big dog' person.  My mom had large dogs, including a 200lb St Bernard.  The Shih Tzu could almost convert me to small dogs!  She did not run around, bark like banshee, or any of the other things lots of small dogs do.  She's a great dog.

If you want a relaxed dog, be sure to get one that is more than 2 years old.  It isn't a guarantee, but that is when the puppy phase is pretty much over.

FWIW, I don't suggest you get one.  I'd wait a few years and have the kids to lots of researching on it when they are a little older (unless you personally are really in love with the idea of a dog, and your DH is too).

We have a silkie/maltese mix. He's a beautiful boy - small enough to not get in the way but large enough to not get stepped on. We've had him since kiddo #5 was 3. He's 13 now but will still go crazy playing tug or fetching a tennis ball - as long as it is in the house. Try to throw a ball outside and he will sit there looking at you as if you lost your mind. He loves to take walks but he is very happy to spend his day sleeping on a sofa of in his dog bed.  He also has a favorite spot to lie along the back of the sofa. He kneads the cushion until it is 'just right'. 

He was a bit stubborn to house break but once he figured it out, he's been very consistent. He walks over to the door to let us know he needs to go out. We let him out as he 'asks' ( 4-5 times a day depending on his needs)

He does require only a little bit of grooming - either from a groomer or from us with a scissors when he starts to look scraggly. We keep his 'feathers' short with scissors snips every now and then. He doesn't shed much. The only thing that NEEDS to be done is keeping the fur near his bum short because otherwise...ick!  (My kids call them 'butt berries'...not fun) 

He's been a good dog overall, tolerant of living in a household with 6 kids and the chaos that can ensue. The only major thing that bugs me is that he thinks it's his job to bark loudly if he thinks someone is at the door. He even barks to let us know there was a doorbell ringing on the television. That's annoying but short lived.

He's a good ole' boy, starting to show his years, but he still loves us all!

Get the child a remote controlled dog unless you are willing to put in the work of a 3rd child. Also, the breed is almost irrelevant if you are getting from a shelter since purebred dogs rarely end up there. See if the shelter will give you a trial period, or at the very least, let you walk the dog around awhile and play before you have to sign. If you are giving the dog as a gift, you are at a huge disadvantage because you will not get to see how the dog behaves around your kiddos, first.

Agreed. 

However, I'm not sure how greyhounds are with little children. Which is weird, cause I'm a vet tech and should know that. Off to google! (I've known many greyhounds, just none in families with kids).

My basset fits everything you require. He is the most even temperamented (can't figure out how to spell this..lol) dog we have EVER had..AND has kept up with my daughter. I think his heart literally breaks every time she leaves the house. He is so in love with her.

An aside, one day I was driving and a basset was out alone taking a trot without a leash. I had to totally laugh because he/she stayed on the sidewalk, and even crossed the road inide the crosswalk lines.

Also, the breed is almost irrelevant if you are getting from a shelter since purebred dogs rarely end up there.

That's not true for many (most?) areas of the country.  There are many breeds that are, unfortunately, very well represented in our area shelters.  You couldn't walk into a county shelter around here w/o having several Labs and Beagles to choose from.  Smaller purebred dogs are harder to find, but some of them aren't rare at all (poodles and "poo" mixes, Shih Tzus, Chihuahuas, all sorts of small terriers, etc.).

It's also very beneficial to learn about different breeds because all shelters and rescue groups make an effort to guess at a mixed dog's heritage, so knowing the tendencies of the breeds that may be in the mix is helpful to at least guess at what you may be dealing with.

There are a number of small dogs that would fit the bill but most do have grooming needs.   Unlike the stereotype, a lot of small dogs are not barkers or super active.  My mini poodles and my current mini poodle/corgi mix (all rescue) all fit that bill as did some other dogs mentioned above.  None of my poodles or poodle mixes were yappy.  All would bark at the doorbell but not none stop.  My current dog is the most watchdog of the bunch but his bark is not yappy- it sounds frightening to anyone who might be approaching since it is deep and fierce.  He is a little protector but he is very smart and the minute I come to the door and act relaxed or anyone else does, he stops, and starts greeting the person happily. 

Here is what to stay away from - anything Jack Russel terrier like- they are super energetic and always on the go.  Chihuahuas- they are known to be very yappy and also too small for your kids.  Shelties are usually very yappy.  And, of course, stay away from any bully breeds but of course, they aren't that small (though some are on the smaller side but still quite dangerous)= by that I mean anything with a pitbull, Staffordshire, American bull dog, mix  in its breed description.  Look at http://www.dogsbite.org/dogsbite-about.php if you need help in that area.

FInally, if you tell us what state you are in, maybe some of us could guide you to a reputable rescue group.  For example, I know of a great rescue group for poodles in Florida, though I am now in AL.

OP, I was in your shoes a couple years ago.   My kids wanted a dog, DH wanted a dog, DH & I talked about a dog, but I had never had a dog as an adult and wasn't 100% sure.   We had recently lost both of my cats that had been my "babies" since college.

I would highly recommend that you wait to get a dog until YOU are the one "begging" for the dog.   The best advice I ever read was that you shouldn't get a dog until "Mom" (defined as whichever adult does most of the caregiving and household duties in the family) wants a dog, because "Mom" will end up taking care of the dog along with the house, the kids, the carpooling, the neighborhood kids, etc., etc., etc.

We visited several rescues, interviewed with one, and started visiting dogs in foster homes.   I just couldn't pull the trigger.   We stopped looking for a while.   Then we visited a friend's apartment and met her dog, and *I* fell in love.    This lead to more research, looking at rescues, and talking to some breeders of this particular breed.   We signed a contract for a puppy from a litter due last January, but ended up referring us to another breeder who had a litter sired by one of her males.   From this, we ended up with Greta.

Greta is a purebred miniature schnauzer, and she is PERFECT for us.   She is energetic, affectionate, a lap dog, and a playmate all wrapped up in a little dog.   She barks and likes to eat mulch and acorns, but those are her only negative qualities.   She does require grooming every 6 weeks, but does not shed at all.   I walk her twice a day and she can walk from as little as a couple of blocks to a couple of miles....but she needs more exercise inside the house if I only walk her a couple of blocks.   She's about 18 pounds, and turns 1 next week.

The absolute BEST thing I ever did was to wait until *I* was the one who really, really wanted this dog.   She is/was a LOT of work, but totally worth it.   She is also VERY attached to me and follows me around the house every time I move to a different room.   It probably took us 2 years to get from "DH & the kids want a dog" to "Mom really wants a dog" but it was totally worth the wait.

Don't believe your kids when they say, "I'll do all the work," "I'll feed the dog, walk the dog, pick up the dog's poop," etc.   My kids are 11 and 9, and the 11 year old is able to walk her by himself now, if asked.    They can both feed her, if asked.   They will both play with her and take her for potty breaks, but most of the time need to be asked.   YOU will be the one ultimately responsible for everything. 

Work with local rescues - not necessarily shelters, but rescues for different breeds. Because those dogs usually stay in foster homes, the foster usually knows the dog's personality. They will know more about which dog is right for you, rather than picking up one at the shelter. They also usually allow a trial period. We just found my 80yo mum the most awesome dog ever - just the right combo of playful and laid back. The rescue people were great matching a dog with my mom's needs/desires.

Yes. We adopted a 6-8 year old dog a few years back. Our kids were 4 & 2. Our dog is a gsp- normally a very energetic breed but our dog is a couch potato! It was nice being matched with a dog that the rescue and foster family could definitely speak to the dog's personality.

Eta: he does not slobber or really shed.

One more thought...not sure how relevant this is to OP but it took me by surprise when we adopted our guy. Be warned that the following info might be icky to some people.

I had no idea that some small dogs need their anal glands cleaned regularly. Something about their size/ gut habits I think? Most dogs will express the fluid on their own but the vet and groomers have told me that they very often see small dogs for anal gland issues.  I've had medium sized dogs before and never once did they have anal gland issues. I was not prepared when my guy started scooting. Our house is mostly carpeted too. Our guy needs his cleaned every 3-4 weeks. Some smaller dogs might need it done more often. You can do it at home but not everyone is comfortable with that lol. Our local Petsmart charges $10 per cleaning. Our vet charges $35 per cleaning. I've heard that regular exercise helps keep anal gland impacting at bay but that will also depend on the dog.

Our dog also came with several other issues, issues we were not made fully aware of by the shelter. The 2-week waiting period the shelter gave us was a good time to research and read up as much as we could. By the time he came to our house for the first time, we were VERY sure we were committed to the level of care required. If all the work is going to fall on Mom's shoulders, Mom needs to be as aware as she can as to what level of care will be needed.

Good luck!