Menu

Let's clean the boards with better posts! Are you buying any new curriculum to start in January?

I just need to buy the next books for some of the stuff we're doing. We're loving TOG Y4U1, so I need to buy U2. CLE Math 200 is working well for DS2 (alongside BA 3A), so I need to buy the second half of the year, and while I'm at it, I'll probably go ahead and get CLE Math 100 for my little one to start when he finishes SM EM K. I think CLE will be a great fit for him, since he likes to work independently. I'll need to buy BA 3C/3D/4A eventually, but since we're still in 3A, we have some time. I could probably buy them mid-spring when I start ordering stuff for next school year.

I recently bought W&R book 2 TM, but still need the student book (we're only halfway through book 1). I also bought WWS1 and 2 in PDF format. I'm waiting until next school year to start 1 with my son, but I'm going through it myself now. This engineer needed a writing course! :lol: So far, I think the format will work well for my son next year. The way she teaches some of this stuff is the way he would want to do it.

Can't think of any changes to curriculum at this point. I made a LOT of changes this fall. Tons. Not sure what it is this year, my 4th year of homeschooling. I didn't hardly change anything in year 3, and then year 4 hits and everything gets changed - both kids! :lol: We're getting into a groove with what we're doing now though.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, several people have mentioned this.  What's W&R?  Clearly I need to hang out more on K-8 and get back in the loop...   :)

Classical Academic Press' new writing program: Writing and Rhetoric.  It looks fantastic and I've yet to hear anyone not like it.  My MIL is using it with my nephew and loving it.  It starts 3rd-4th grade, you've got a while.

I bought and started Language Lessons Through Literature Level 2 this month and then I "shopped my shelves" and pulled out some things that I already had but had not been using recently so it's almost like a completely fresh start (it feels that way mentally, at least).

I'm getting a self-paced course from VP for my 10yo.  She's been asking forever.  I have put her off because I felt like she didn't have enough time to get it done.  But my oldest needs me to spend more time with him on math, so I suppose I'm replacing history read aloud with VP.  It might be the end of our "morning time" for a while..... I might not be sad about that. 

Like pp, I need to buy the 2nd half of CLE math for one of mine.  I was also thinking about dabbling in their Bible for a couple kids which I've never tried before. 

Nope! Might change up some of what is happening from what we already own, but no buying plans until something gets finished and a new level is needed, or if ds himself asks for some new subject to be added--neither of which I particularly expect between now and summer.

I'm tempted to get something else for grammar so that it actually gets done. Other than that, we are in good shape.

I am doing some leg work to make our LA more open and go in Jan. without losing our CM flair.  I should just dig my heels in and incorporate grammar into it...but that sounds like a lot more work.  

Yup, I'm switching to BJU Spelling 3 (anyone have a used 2nd ed. teacher manual they want to sell me? They're only a year old so I've about given up on finding a used copy.) Also thinking about switching to LLTL 3, we both need a break from Shurley sentence classification. Adding Rosetta Stone Spanish.

What new writing program?? Do tell. . . :toetap05:

LOL.... Rose, slooooowly back away from the shiny new writing programs!! ;) (Says the woman who is ready to outsource writing for her DS... Or run away to the islands for the winter, one or the other!!)

We just finished MM 5 and we need a break from it. So not buying, but pulling out LOF prealgebra. After that, a few bits of MM 6, and then on to AoPS prealgebra. Also already purchased. :D

I never did buy MCT Voyage this year, but I'm thinking about getting it for second semester. We really miss CE, so I do need to at least get that.

Oh, and we did just buy new programming courses for Java and Web Design.

yes, I just purchased Aplogia's biblical world view bible study program - What we believe, to do with my 8th and 6th graders.  It has already arrived and I'm thinking of starting next week.

also, ds is doing a Latin class online, there hasn't been any homework, I'm concerened it's too light, so I'm thinking of not signing up for the next semester and doing Memoria press Latin with him. 

other than that, I have so much on my shelves already, I need to resist shopping and dive into what I already have.

Yup, I'm switching to BJU Spelling 3 (anyone have a used 2nd ed. teacher manual they want to sell me? They're only a year old so I've about given up on finding a used copy.) Also thinking about switching to LLTL 3, we both need a break from Shurley sentence classification. Adding Rosetta Stone Spanish.

Moose, you do know that you're supposed to SKIP levels of Shurley, right?  Around that age we did Shurley 4 spread over 2 years while doing Writing Tales and other things.  That was awesome.  

Shurley herself says skip 1,3,5, 7 or do 2,4,6,7.  Even VP, king of the overkill drill catalog, says to skip some levels.  :D

Moose, you do know that you're supposed to SKIP levels of Shurley, right? Around that age we did Shurley 4 spread over 2 years while doing Writing Tales and other things. That was awesome.

Shurley herself says skip 1,3,5, 7 or do 2,4,6,7. Even VP, king of the overkill drill catalog, says to skip some levels. :D

Yes, I had heard that. Ds did some of Shurley 2 at a part-time private school 1st semester of the 12-13 school year, then we stopped when we brought him back home full-time in the spring. We used some of Shurley 3, just the jingles and sentence classification really, for the fall this year and I think we're both ready for a change again. I can definitely see skipping levels. It is thorough, but mind-numbing. :D I read through LLTL3 last night and decided it would be a nice change and would use the terms he's been learning in Shurley and LfCA in a variety of contexts. If he's home again next year, which is likely, I can see finishing up LLTL3 in the fall and maybe adding the classification back in in the spring.

I want LLTL 2 but my Christmas spending bill will be coming. I know my son would love LLTL2 but we are doing fine right now. So I'm thinking LLTL3 next year.

It's mainly because I hate doing spelling workout and love reading books with him. The only downside is it looks like LLTL drags the books out for weeks. We are not that patient to see what happens.

Writing and Rhetoric 1 by Classical Academic Press, it just released this Fall. www.classicalacademicpress.com

http://classicalacademicpress.com/writing-rhetoric-1/

We just finished the first book this week and are starting on book 2 next week, we are absolutely loving it.

I am not familiar with this curriculum; would you care to review it or provide a short summary? It sounds really great from the description online. Many thanks!

Well, ski lessons, but no curriculum for those :)

I would like to add some geography. We are not enamored of the Ancients, so we are merely reading SOTW as a book, with some supplemental reading and no map work at all. So we are lacking in that and I am thinking of just picking up some geography curriculum to start.

I am also itching to start Lightening Literature but that will likely be for the fall (beginning of 5th grade).

I am not familiar with this curriculum; would you care to review it or provide a short summary? It sounds really great from the description online. Many thanks!

There are a couple of threads on the K8 board:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/497561-question-for-those-using-caps-wr/?do=findComment&comment=5360165

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/482282-new-writing-program-from-cap/page-6?do=findComment&comment=5360847

mobile or I'd make them pretty :)

I have almost finished buying all our new stuff. The only thing staying the same so far is math but I am looking around. I am excited. Ohh..and because so much is computer based, we just HAD to buy another laptop. DH has been SO sad about that ;).

We switched just about all of our curriculum about a month ago. We were using Trail Guide to Learning: Paths of Exploration but it just wasn't a good fit with my daughter. I loved it, she loved the content but not the approach.

I had bought only a little of ACE to see is she liked it and she loves it. I ordered the rest of the workbooks for this year and next year, so we are pretty set. We are sticking with CLE math, so I'm on the lookout for grade 4.

I'll be adding somethign to DD8's writing curriculum. We are doing WWE3 and it is good, but a bit dull.

She needs something else to add to the mix. She likes to write and WWe isn't giving her enough

fuel for the fire.

Not sure whether we'll go with CAP Fable or Killgallon Sentence Composing. 

Waiting for my copy of Fable to get here so I can see both.

Nice to have so many good choices!

I'll be adding somethign to DD8's writing curriculum. We are doing WWE3 and it is good, but a bit dull.

She needs something else to add to the mix. She likes to write and WWe isn't giving her enough

fuel for the fire.

Not sure whether we'll go with CAP Fable or Killgallon Sentence Composing. 

Waiting for my copy of Fable to get here so I can see both.

Nice to have so many good choices!

My daughter does *not* like Sentence Composing.  She thinks it's hard and too much writing.  I think it's OK, kinda dull and just matching up to the model sentence so far.

We'll keep at it, but ...

On the linked threads I give fairly detailed thoughts throughout, as do many others, hopefully you find those helpful. 

My daughter does *not* like Sentence Composing.  She thinks it's hard and too much writing.  I think it's OK, kinda dull and just matching up to the model sentence so far.

We'll keep at it, but ...

Dawn,

Do you think Kilgallon is making a difference in her writing?

If it's dull, we may do CAP first, especially since dd is being so good about trudging through WWE.

I ordered it today. :) 

Dawn,

Do you think Kilgallon is making a difference in her writing?

If it's dull, we may do CAP first, especially since dd is being so good about trudging through WWE.

I ordered it today. :)

I don't know.  She has always used really good sentences in her speaking, I'm not sure how much this has helped her in writing ... but we've only used about 6 lessons.  We use it occasionally, next school year I hope to use it once every couple of weeks. 

I am finally going to give the Memoria Press packages I bought back in the spring and summer a try...So I will have all three boys doing MP starting in January...I was never really ready to take the plunge, but I am ready to give it a try now...We will do the literature orally because I want to cut down on some of the writing and I love having discussions with the boys...They want to try MP, and I am committed to giving this my all...I am tired of trying new things and want something I like that I can depend on ;)

Not buying anything new here but I am shopping my shelves like others. I've decided to tweak resources/books and make it through the rest of the year.

I part of me really wanted to just go and buy something new that I've had my eye on for over a year but I deep down I know it's not the resources or books I need to change I need to "pull up my big girl pants" and be more firm and not a push over. Some days will come easy others will be harder but overall just plugging away and finishing what we've started seems like a good goal.

So I am re-starting and plan to finish GA-History lately we've been jumping all over in the history dept with living books. Still debating on Science but I have 2 books shelves full of books so I will find something to start in January or finish up. We are doing Jr. High Easy Writing but I feel the need for my older 2 to do more writing then just learning to write so I hope to start working through the Writer's Jungle exercises/suggestions. We did 2 session of free writing this month and it went really well. Both times my kids ended up writing a poetry which was a surprise as they both hate to write poetry (at least that is what they tell me) and they are not fans of reading it either. 

I'll be starting Reading Lessons Through Literature after Christmas break.

I'd love to add in Scratch programming (amd my son has been begging for more than what we've done), but I'll hjave to see time wise if that will fit.

I was just looking at this book again, and I just cannot make it work. Good luck with it! And if you get it to work, tell me what you did.

I'm getting it to work here, and I think the main thing that's working for us is taking the "warm-ups" and using them as their own lesson. So we spent a few lessons discussing and playing with the 5 elements, then our lessons have all been one warm-up at a time. We only just did the "draw a bird" activity. I think someone who is good at describing visual items in the 5 elements of drawing terms could easily take the drawing instructions of Draw Write Now and convert them in DWC exercises that are similar to the bird one. If my library had Draw Write Now, I would do that as a way to practice before moving to the next DWC chapter. Maybe some Christmas money will have to get spent on 1 or 2 Draw Write Now books...

We just switched....AGAIN.  I think finally finally I have found what works for ds.  We just started CLE Math 2 and CLE Reading and Language Arts 2 this month and love love love love it! I don't know why I didn't go with this earlier...got too scared it would be over ds's head but it isn't! Also going back to Ambleside Online, starting with Year 2 in January, but doing some read alouds from the list now. 

We will definitely be purchasing Elemental Science's pre-k/K program. We love science here and want something to do regularly. HOD is just not filling our science interests yet, so we are going to add it in ourselves.

I'm toying with the idea of beginning spelling with my K'er. She is about halfway through AAR 2 and reading well beyOnd what we have covered thus far. Seeing these light bulbs in her eyes is just amazing! I can't decide if we will try HOD's spelling or buy AAS.

We already started our new Science and History and it is going well so far, with the expected tweaks of course :) It seems to go much better when I plan to tweak things instead of trying to do everything by the letter. Oh, and somewhat unplanned I'm changing up Math for ds. I've not been exactly happy but then the last few weeks ds complained about not liking math and we got some test results back- so we are going much more spiral and backing up- he scored well but his fluency needs work and since he's evidently ahead we've got time. 

I need to start some new stuff here, but I'm not sure what. DS hates doing school work. Everything is such a struggle right now, that I need easy. He finish his world history credit before Christmas and finished a one semester elective. I think I'm going to have him to career exploration for credit - it's that time &  I'm teaching it at co-op, so it's no more planning for me (This will be the third time I've taught it). 

I think that he needs to do gov't or civics. To be honest, I'm not sure what the difference between the two is. I've been looking for easy, so I'm looking at Lifepacs. They have a one year govt/econ course and a one semester civics course. When I'm in more of a mood to look at it, I'll compare the two and see what the diff is between the govt and civics. I'm also looking at Power Basics for that course. 

I just bought something tonight. I saw Write from History linked somewhere else (on Amazon when I was checking out the Journeys Through Bookland (e)books) and think it would be great to use alongside SOTW or even for my oldest alongside her history. Instead of waiting until next year, I'm going ahead with the Medieval Level 2 for second semester to see how it goes/flows. If I like it, I'll buy Early Modern for next year and write up the plans. I'll be winging it this year and just integrating it into my history time. 

I found a bunch of posts asking about it, but not many people who had used it. We'll see how it goes.