Menu

Let's clean the boards with better posts! Are you buying any new curriculum to start in January?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not buying, no. But I will be "shopping" the overflow shelf. You know, the shelf that's got the cool stuff you couldn't resist, but didn't have time for? (Wait...maybe that's just me. Someone please tell me I'm not the only one.) I've started using those books for term-long interest-based unit studies.

Ds10 and ds8 are finishing a Geology/Rocks study. I think they want to do a construction and engineering unit, and we've got plenty of books on that topic! Ds 13 wants to do a Shakespeare study, and I think we've got plenty of study material there too.

Cat

Placed half my order through our charter school for the 2014-2015 and I have finished making the other half of the list to place in early August. I have about $250 out of pocket to spend or so for things that are not covered by the Charter school. Not sure when I will place that order....probably when I have some money in my pockets, lol. Possibly in January.

Our curriculum next year includes:

Both:

HWOT

Singapore Math

La Clase Divertida Level III

K'er:

MFW K

FIAR

2nd Grader:

MFW Adventures

Portraits of American Girlhood

Primary Language Lessons

Spelling by Sound and Structure

Come Look with Me: Early America and Native American Art

Some state study extras-sticker book, puzzle, placemats, and Scrambled States of America game

I am planing to sort of pick and chose to make or k & 2nd grade curriculum.

We will use ADV history as our spine and their Bible, music, art and possibly pick and pull from science, but will be using Portraits of American Girlhood for our literature, crafts, baking, science and extra language arts as well as work on an AHG badge that corresponds with each of the 7 girls for my 2nd grader with ds tagging along.

For K we will use the mfw k Bible, math and Lang. We will probably toss in some FIAR where it fits, such as books based on US history or books that fit with mfw k units. We did mfw k with dd and ds, then 3, participated in everything but worksheets / seat work, so want to give it a bit of a different feel :)

I'll be starting my religious calendar curriculum with dd and hope to scrounge together the dosh to buy 'Drawing with Children.' I'll probably start on CSMP K in the next week or so.

A lot of people in the mfw 1st Facebook page would be willing to sell. I am always seeing posts from users saying they don't use it :(

I am and actually quite like it and so do my kids ;)

We started our new writing program, so far so good!

Shopping shelves here as well. We will finally start Newton at the Center tomorrow. We've had it for months--maybe a year!

What new writing program??  Do tell. . .  :toetap05:

We will be starting AoPS PreA in January!!!!!  I think.  I'm actually very, very afraid.  I can do Jacobs Algebra.  I can do LOF Algebra.  But Alcumus/AoPS PreA problems routinely kick my butt.  What's up with that???!!!  :ohmy:

We are also starting the Stop Faking It: Motion activity book, which I've had for over a year, but am finally getting to.  It will go along with SOS: Newton (already in progress).

No, all my shopping recently has been for next year, already . . .  :leaving:

Not buying, no. But I will be "shopping" the overflow shelf. You know, the shelf that's got the cool stuff you couldn't resist, but didn't have time for? (Wait...maybe that's just me. Someone please tell me I'm not the only one.) I've started using those books for term-long interest-based unit studies.

Ds10 and ds8 are finishing a Geology/Rocks study. I think they want to do a construction and engineering unit, and we've got plenty of books on that topic! Ds 13 wants to do a Shakespeare study, and I think we've got plenty of study material there too.

Cat

You just have a shelf?! My overflow is now taking up three bins  :blush: And I sent a bunch of it to Book SamaritanĂ¢â‚¬Â¦then discovered that I needed two items in it after all. I knew it!

I'm not shopping, but I will be starting a science program that I meant to start in September but didn't manage to. Does that count?

I'll be starting my religious calendar curriculum with dd and hope to scrounge together the dosh to buy 'Drawing with Children.' I'll probably start on CSMP K in the next week or so.

If the shipping costs weren't ridiculous to the other side of the world, I'd send you our Drawing with Children.

Nothing new to start here in Jan, just trucking along with what we have.

I already had SOTW 3 to start, but bought on Cyber Monday - MP3s and student pages so I can make copies. (I meant to buy the downloads, but this will work too)

I bought Writing and Rhetoric Fable from CAP, too.  We'll keep using WWE.

We're going to do weather first in science, then move to Chemistry, so I'm looking at Chemistry programs.  I can't face God's Design much longer, it's so dull.  I'll have a 3rd, 2nd, and 1st grader.  Logos Press has NOEO on sale right now, but I'm not sure I want to go that way.  I'm seriously considering Elemental Science and Ellen McHenry's Chemistry.  [sigh]  Why is science so hard?

Finally, I am starting to think about Narnia and what we're going to do with it.  I'm waiting on Christmas to see what I get ... we don't start until partway through January.

Lol I never stop buying curriculum. We just added sotw2 this week and hopefully the activity book will come in next week. NOEO PHYSICSII should be here Tuesday and I 'm hoping we can start Wednesday, otherwise it will be the week after Christmas(since we are breaking Cmas WEEK) We are on track to finish WR1 in March and I'm undecided as to what writing we will be doing then- I have both Killgallon and the Eps paragraph book here- maybe we'll do both. Oh- we just received Beginning Reasoning and Reading and started it.

Still have to buy French and math program before January. (We start new school year then.)

Already bought, but will be starting Memoria Press science new in January. Looking forward to it.

Everything else will be much the same as before.

Woudl that be the lower level science stuff or the subject books?

Whew! I thought you were holding out on me!!!    ;)  :D

I've been a meanie, making Shannon do WWS2.

Ooo, mine just came!  I think we're going to take the plunge in January and burn rubber.   :driving: 

I am buying textbooks for ds's last semester of dual enrollment at our local university.  I *need* to clean the shelves and dispose of many years worth of curriculum.  I just cannot seem to get around to it.  Selling online has become a bit of a nightmare and posting on the WTM for sale boards is troublesome (at least for me).  

I do miss the excitement of planning the next year for the boys :)  I loved scouring the catalogs, esp. Veritas Press, even if I didn't order much from them.  And it was always exciting to hear about new products and trying out a few.  

My youngest will be starting new geography and handwriting books.  He finished his old ones today.

Both boys will start our planned new science topic in February.   JanuaryĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s science will be learning how to use the microscope that dh bought as one of their Christmas gift.  

I am buying textbooks for ds's last semester of dual enrollment at our local university.  I *need* to clean the shelves and dispose of many years worth of curriculum.  I just cannot seem to get around to it.  Selling online has become a bit of a nightmare and posting on the WTM for sale boards is troublesome (at least for me).  

I do miss the excitement of planning the next year for the boys :)  I loved scouring the catalogs, esp. Veritas Press, even if I didn't order much from them.  And it was always exciting to hear about new products and trying out a few.  

Aww, you're making me sad!  But I'm sure you're going to move on to new things in this new phase of life, right?  :)

Aww, you're making me sad!  But I'm sure you're going to move on to new things in this new phase of life, right?   :)

Oh, definitely!  College applications and scholarship interviews.  I look back fondly on the "old" days although at the time I probably didn't think it was quite as sweet and nice as they seem now :)

OK I did buy AOPS Pre-Algebra and Dolciani Pre-Algebra (Older edition).  I have been watching the Alcumus videos while waiting on the books.  

Learning Language Through Literature just arrived and I am getting ready to implement it next Monday.  I have too wide a range to teach Reading from OGPTR... and a struggling Reader, so

I am going to print out the first chapter of Reading Lessons Through Literature and see if I can use it with 3 dc at the same time.  

I did just buy CAP Writing  to go along with WWE for ds 11

I am switching from Apologia Biology to Anatomy to work with all dc on same science since the co-op class did not work out.

Already had TC dvd set to use along with Elementary Anatomy and Audible had the HS level of Anatomy too.  

It was difficult but I did an Amazon trade in on some valuable books.  One I got free went for over $50 so that helped alot.  And I have an obscene amount of pdf books and workbook pages to print out so I need to order ink.  

This brings me to my dilemma..... do I really need a binding machine?  I hate to even drop $70 on a Pro-Click if I don't really need it.  I would love any input on this.  ( Keep in mind I have some books that will be over 100 pages but can divide into more than one book if necessary.)  I have the Amazon store credit to get this but not much left over after that unless I sell some more valuable books.... I am at a loss.. they don't take just any book and some I consider valuable they only give about $1 for!)

Buying, no, but we have the next level of math to start in January (I'm sure you can imagine DD's enthusiasm). Maybe I'll be brave enough to restart Latin again, then. Oh, and guitar lessons. DD is super excited about that. 

I bought Mapping the World with Art, but after reading through it, I think I'll hold onto it for a year or two. The "scratch and dent" copy of the book is actually in pretty good condition, and it was super cheap. 

I can't face God's Design much longer, it's so dull.  I'll have a 3rd, 2nd, and 1st grader.  Logos Press has NOEO on sale right now, but I'm not sure I want to go that way.  I'm seriously considering Elemental Science and Ellen McHenry's Chemistry.  [sigh]  Why is science so hard?

I did God's Design for Chemistry (old edition - back when it was black & white) and couldn't STAND it. *snore* I didn't see where NOEO was on sale. What was I missing? (I'm considering between ES, NOEO, or ?? for my youngers.)

Me!

Looking at Latina Christiana 2 (or First Form Latin-I'm still back and forth). Also thinking about picking up CW Homer to start getting myself ready to teach it in June, which is when our fifth grade year starts.

First Form is SO much better, IMO.  :coolgleamA:

We're done with certain things for the year (Logic was one semester, Earth Science for the youngers will be done soon). So, we'll move onto Astronomy in Science and I'm thinking of dropping Writing Tales 1 until the summer when I have time to focus on it with dd#2. It just keeps slipping to the last thing of the day. I don't have time to go over things enough. But, otherwise, nothing new... I did buy some stuff for next school year. :-)

I did God's Design for Chemistry (old edition - back when it was black & white) and couldn't STAND it. *snore* I didn't see where NOEO was on sale. What was I missing? (I'm considering between ES, NOEO, or ?? for my youngers.)

http://www.logospressonline.com/noeo-chemistry/

I got an email saying NOEO is 10% off until Saturday 12/14.

DS1 will start a new math program. He'll be doing pre-algebra and probably Saxon 8/7 as that is what is on the shelf. I'm not a fan of 8/7, so we shall see. I briefly looked at AoPS. I need to go back and look in more detail. DS has 10 more lessons in Saxon 7/6 so I need to figure it out.

I hopefully will be starting Galore Park French.

You see I have super powers. I ordered the book and audio from amazon.ca.

I got the book, but the audio CD went out of stock.

So I ordered the audio CD from chapters. It then went out of stock.

I ordered it from some place someone here recommeneded. I forget it now. Well I tired to order it - out of stock. 

Someone recommended a different place. Also out of stock.

Well it showed up at amazon. And I ordered it with some stuff I got for my Mom. In theory it is in the mail and should arrive in a week. 

Eldest will be starting a new Singapore math book as soon as he gets better with long division.

I was just looking at this book again, and I just cannot make it work. Good luck with it! And if you get it to work, tell me what you did.

Everyone says that. I'm looking forward to the challenge and am not sure if I'll be more gleeful if I can make it work or if I can't. :D

Yes...DD will be starting W&R book 2/Narrative sometime in January.  I also need something different for Grammar for DD, as what I had planned to do for grammar is just not getting done.  I'm ordering something to supplement math for DS6...probably either CWP or Process Skills in Problem solving.   DS4 will get Singapore Essential K Book B. 

This brings me to my dilemma..... do I really need a binding machine? I hate to even drop $70 on a Pro-Click if I don't really need it. I would love any input on this. ( Keep in mind I have some books that will be over 100 pages but can divide into more than one book if necessary.) I have the Amazon store credit to get this but not much left over after that unless I sell some more valuable books.... I am at a loss.. they don't take just any book and some I consider valuable they only give about $1 for!)

It's definitely not a need, but I like mine! I ended with a coil machine from mybinding.com

If you print a lot of materials, it may be worth it.

Nope. We have enough, curriculum-hopping isn't going to fix anything, and I don't have anything I'm dying for.

I have a bunch of random stuff on my wish list that I can't say for sure I won't end up impulse-buying, especially if I get amazon gift cards for Christmas. But no specific plans.

The only new thing we're starting is KidCoder Visual Basic Series for my 6th grade son.   He just finished his Scratch programming book which he started last year. Homeschool Programming had a sale going on on Black Friday, so I'm glad I waited. 

Another thing we're starting which I already own is Philosophy for Kids.  It looks interesting, and my kids seem excited about it.