Menu

Homeschooling is getting too popular *snark alert*

musicianmom

Too many homeschoolers in my area. It's getting trendy. Know how I know? The moms. More and more of them are young and skinny and fashionable. It's giving me a complex.

On the flip side, I almost never hear negative comments about hs because it's fairly well-accepted.

Edited to change title because apparently my sense of humor does not translate well online.

Sometimes I think this too. We are having some repairs done in our house and the builder, a young guy, told me his wife is homeschooling too.

Often people, when they find out, are just curious.

The only negative response I have received in the last few years was from an Southeast Asian from India who insisted it was foolish to home school. He seemed to think my kids were going to miss out on everything that would prepare them for college. He was especially concerned about math, which my dh (an engineer) teaches my older two.  The Southeast Asian guy is an acquaintance from chess tournaments.

To be honest, I do worry about that myself sometimes. It feels difficult sometimes to keep things rigorous for all my kids while preparing myself and my eldest for high school. I want to give them the opportunity to go on to University.

I don't understand why the relative youth of the parents is a bad thing. I only just turned 30, and we're in our fourth year homeschooling, or sixth if you count the homeschool co-op we did for preschool. I've known that I'd be homeschooling my kids since I was 15. I'm not ''skinny'', but I'm not overweight, either, and fairly fashionable (but not especially trendy). 

I don't understand why the relative youth of the parents is a bad thing. I only just turned 30, and we're in our fourth year homeschooling, or sixth if you count the homeschool co-op we did for preschool. I've known that I'd be homeschooling my kids since I was 15. I'm not ''skinny'', but I'm not overweight, either, and fairly fashionable (but not especially trendy). 

This.  And I've been officially homeschooling since 2005. :)  I'll be glad to see the denim jumper stereotype disappear. I'm not very fashionable, though.  More soccer chic.  :lol:

I'm youngish and fashionable. :D  Not exactly skinny, though.  I'll never be that skinny again unless I can somehow unlearn how to cook.  But I'm okay with that.

I love that homeschooling is becoming more popular.  I'm hoping that in a couple more years there will be enough secular homeschoolers in town for us to start our own co-op.  

How dare homeschool moms look fashionable, be young and skinny! The audacity of them!

I'm pretty sure homeschooling being a popular option is a good thing!

I think you may have missed the tongue-in-cheek humor of the OP.

Too many homeschoolers in my area. It's getting trendy. Know how I know? The moms. More and more of them are young and skinny and fashionable. It's giving me a complex.

On the flip side, I almost never hear negative comments about hs because it's fairly well-accepted.

Homeschooling parents have to start somewhere. If you're starting from the beginning, you are probably going to be young.

Well, as soon as it becomes hip and fashionable hipster parents will quit doing it. So never fear.

:lol:

That, or their children enter 5th grade.

Around here 5th grade seems to be the kiss of death for most homeschoolers. >sarcasm font on< As I look across the room at my super surly 5th grader I cannot imagine why anyone would throw in the towel. >sarcasm font off<

I'm looking for an uptick in NJ HS a few years after NJ rolls out PARCC in it's entirety.

I'm in NJ and I've had 4 different acquaintances tell me they were going to homeschool in the past few months.  I'm not sure what's driving it but it definitely seems to be picking up.

I've already run into the thin, young and somewhat trendy homeschoolers.   NJ seems to have a lot of homeschoolers for academic or learning issues reasons, rather than religious reasons, so maybe that makes a difference.  I'm none of the above. :thumbup1:

I'm in NJ and I've had 4 different acquaintances tell me they were going to homeschool in the past few months.  I'm not sure what's driving it but it definitely seems to be picking up.

I've already run into the thin, young and somewhat trendy homeschoolers.   NJ seems to have a lot of homeschoolers for academic or learning issues reasons, rather than religious reasons, so maybe that makes a difference.  I'm none of the above. :thumbup1:

It's the pending testing and teacher eval changes.  Even DW's vice principal is yanking his kids out, and another teacher desperately wants me to HS her kids.

Where are you that you see academic less-religious HSers???   I'm surrounded by the academic evangelical and the radical unschoolers.  Maybe it's a weird vortexy thing where I am.

Well, as soon as it becomes hip and fashionable hipster parents will quit doing it. So never fear.

So hipster is counter culture to hip and fashionable?  Why do I have such a problem understanding that terminology?!  haha  :)

I don't think homeschooling is on the rise where I live, but it's definitely more acceptable than it used to be.  I think it's because the families in our town who do homeschool appear pretty normal (even if we're not  :001_cool: ).

It's the pending testing and teacher eval changes.  Even DW's vice principal is yanking his kids out, and another teacher desperately wants me to HS her kids.

Where are you that you see academic less-religious HSers???   I'm surrounded by the academic evangelical and the radical unschoolers.  Maybe it's a weird vortexy thing where I am.

There are a lot of academic HSers around me. I am in SC but there are a lot of HSers of all kinds here.

I'm young and in shape. I'm only fashionable where converse all stars are considered acceptable footwear for 33 year old moms and people think sweaters are cool. Skinny is not a word you can use to describe me ever, no matter how fit I get. I'm too muscular and broad for that moniker.

And I have a 5th grader who I really can't send to school. Though that doesn't stop a girl from dreaming, people.

Around here 5th grade seems to be the kiss of death for most homeschoolers. >sarcasm font on< As I look across the room at my super surly 5th grader I cannot imagine why anyone would throw in the towel. >sarcasm font off<

That explains a lot. My youngest is a 5th grader--and the rest? Well... they're teens. :-P

I had a denim jumper back in the 90's...........

but seeing as it came well above my knees I don't think it could be really classified as "traditional" homeschool attire!

In my little corner all but the most conservative evangelical homeschoolers consider jeans an appropriate teacher's uniform. It means we aren't shunned until after the subjects of Harry Potter, secular music, or my 6yo's affinity for the word "damn" comes up!

Well, from someone approaching 50, who has homeschooled for 20 + years, who is greying, wrinkling,  and not getting any thinner, dh and I were commiserating Sunday afternoon at how young homeschoolers are looking these days. Three new families visited our church,  all with multiple kids under 8 in tow, looking very energetic and very modern.  Two of the families homeschooled. You couldn't tell which ones unless you were informed. I felt like a dinosaur. Like an antique on display. Just call me shabby chic.

Until about 3 years ago, I could spot homeschool visitors a mile off. Now, I have a short-timer's attitude so I don't really care what other people are doing. Only 8 years to go then I'm done.

Yep. Pretty soon I'm going to have to toss my denim jumper, get rid of the chickens, the bees and my head scarves. Because I just don't fit in anymore. (Only I never did, so think I'll keep all of those things, and bake homemade GF bread, so THERE!)

Chickens were cool last year, but are on the way out.  GF is still trending.  I'm not sure about bees. Head scarves hide the requisite tousled hair.

The real question is who has a fixie bike.

Though just two days ago I found myself wearing a long denim skirt. Does that count as a homeschooling mom skirt or do I get a pass because it was paired with a grey hoodie and crazy Punky Brewster converse and a slit up to HERE?

If It wasn't a jumper, I'm pretty sure you're OK. :D

If we get more popular, will people stop assuming we all know each other?

We were at a college info session and when the admissions person found out we were homeschoolers, she said, "Oh, we have a homeschooled student in our freshman class! Do you know [Homeschool Kid Not Even From Our State]?"

Weird thing was, my son did know that kid. But from summer camp, not our secret homeschoolers' society meetings.

It is growing locally, and I blame that on zero tolerance and other equally damaging policies. A lot of moms are figuring out they can work evenings at Walmart or somewhere similar for a little extra to help soften the blow of being single income, and still get school work done during the day. Just in our church this year, eight new homeschooling families. Two are using K-12 online so their kids attend band and art at school, but are otherwise home - for them it works out because they really wanted their kids out of the brick and mortar mess, but weren't really able to do the research, planning, and scheduling to pull of totally parent lead teaching - the other six are mostly moderate Christians using a blend of secular and not too conservative Christian curriculum.

What I'd love is for more secular homeschoolers to flood the area because I'd be willing to teach some high school science if I could find like minded people. We are Christians - very moderate in many ways - but homeschool exclusively for academics and to avoid the damaging policies of the local PS's...and we aren't considered conservative enough for most Christian homeschoolers. I was disinvited to conduct dissection labs with a group of homeschooled 9th grade students because a parent found out we let the boys read the Harry Potter books, and we don't prevent them from doing the yoga exercises on the WII....the last one really boggled my brain because there is NOTHING religious about the WII yoga, nothing at all.

Two PS's near us have literally this year gone completely over the top in how heavy handed they are with the children. Silent lunch, no recess, brow beating about teachers being fired if the students don't do well on standardized tests that many elementary students each year end up vomiting from the stress or crying so hard that they have to be removed from the room, total zero tolerance for a huge range of petty "offences" that are just normal within the bell curve of child development, huge classroom sizes, cuts to music and art yet again while the sports budget grew, kids must attend school even when sick...very sick...if you aren't hospitalized, we don't care what the doctor says, you should come unless you have chicken pox or meningitis, ......They are moaning about how many kids they've lost this year to homeschooling or virtual public schooling, and I would say it's because they've pushed the parents to the absolute edge and now there is finally some pushing back against all of these nonsensical extremes. On top of which, the whole culture in these two districts has sunk so low, that it is literally practically Ho-Hum when students get into fist fights or make credible death threats to each other. I question the general Mental Health inside the walls of these schools. The teachers are reporting they have to take all kinds of anxiety meds and get therapy in order to deal with their jobs and hang on until retirement, the guidance counselors report a record number of kids exhibiting extreme anxiety, depression, cutting, and aggression. It's reached the boiling over point.

I don't like to see people homeschool who really aren't cut out to do the job or feel absolutely forced and resent it, on the other hand, mental health is, in my opinion, worth more than education. If one can read, one can learn....might be a lot tougher to do later...might make one miss out on a lot of job opportunities, but on the other hand, not wanting to live and living life in despair is NO life at all, and I'd rather kids get out of it now and heal, than later and live a lifetime of consequences.

I wish there was a mass exodus from the teaching profession as well. I truly believe the only way anything will get better and in a reasonable time frame is for the system to no longer be able to limp itself along. There is nothing like a revolution or rebellion of large segments of any community to get the talking bobble heads in state and federal government to sit up and take notice...there's something motivating about that!

So, I don't see in our area that it's trendy or fashionable. It stems more from the parents that care having their backs up against the wall, and it's the only way out for their kids.

Faith

Nope, not a weird vortex- it is the same here. I know only one non-religious family that homeschools for academic reasons: mine.

I think, just in general, cute and young moms are on the rise. :)  Women seem to be back to having babies before they are in their late 30's, early 40's. I think they were scared by all the infertility stories.  I love seeing them around town. I love the Dads wearing their babies in Ergos etc.  It's delightful.

Though just two days ago I found myself wearing a long denim skirt. Does that count as a homeschooling mom skirt or do I get a pass because it was paired with a grey hoodie and crazy Punky Brewster converse and a slit up to HERE?

Denim is back.  Also, high- waist jeans are trending. I saw that at the local high school.

I know plenty of non religious homeschoolers, but not so many academically minded ones.

Yep. I'm the only one I know in real life. I was practically exiled from a local group because we weren't unschoolers. :(

OP, I'm a young homeschool mom. I assure you that I am not hip, modern, or fashinable.

Rocking the converse today too, as well as an old concert tshirt. But I suspect It makes me look more like a mother and not less like one.

I've been doing this homeschool gig for a long time. I'm now old, fat, and frumpy. Don't worry. life will wear them down soon enough! :crying:

(Tongue in cheek humor, y'all. I'm kidding. I'm not serious. Really!)

I know you're not serious. lol It's difficult to not look young and cute when you are in your 20's and have an adorable baby in your arms.  :)  Even when exhausted. The skin is so much more forgiving. 

Can I triple like this????

It is one of those days here, and we are only doing 4th.  

You know what makes me feel old....when I see a weatherman on TV who is way younger than me.  That's just wrong.  Weathermen are supposed to be older than me. 

DW has a former middle school student who just started his oncology residency, another who keeps inviting us to his restaurant on Cape Cod, and another who has been DD's dance teacher for 10 years.   The wackiest however, has to be the HS mom we've known for a few years -- daughter similar in age to ours, etc.  It turns out she was a student at DW's first high school job 26 years ago (shout out to Rising Sun ,MD).  Now that's wierd.  Granted at 21, we were just 4 years older than the seniors we taught, but that doesn't make it any less freaky.

I know plenty of non religious homeschoolers, but not so many academically minded ones.

That's my quibble -- I don't care about your faith, and suspect it won't come up that often in conversation, but can we please find some local friends who actually DO school?   :confused: