Menu

What slightly creepy movie would you show to a group of 14 yo boys?

Shelly in IL

So Scream is out...

Just the thought of my 14 yo self watching a scary movie OUTSIDE makes me scared!

Here is a list of PG scary movies.

http://www.imdb.com/list/IP741SV44jA/

I'd pick Paranorman or Scooby Doo, LOL

I looked on some other lists and was reminded of Disturbia. It is suspenseful, not horror but I think it would be good! It's about a teen boy and it's a Rear Window-esque movie.

So my vote is Disturbia!

I  like the idea of a classic horror film, that would have a high "cheese-factor" these days to combat the horror aspect. 

If you want to stick with modern, we adore Nightmare Before Christmas. Goofy, creepy, fun. More Halloween themed than regular creepy, though, so may or may not work. 

Maybe Beetlejuice? Or Ghostbusters? 

Would Young Frankenstein be a good choice? It's a comedy, not scary, but it would be fun outdoors.

Signs was one of my favorites, or The Village. They have twists that are tons of fun. The Village has a high creep factor but there is nothing paranormal about it at all. 

We just let dd see Jaws yesterday--it has some gross "dismembered body parts" scenes (several people get eaten by the shark) and is tense, but it's a great movie. THere's also a scene of "historic value," where the captain of the shark-hunting boat shares his experience on the Indianapolis--1100 sailors delivered the bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima, and after, their ship was torpedoed and sunk into shark-infested waters, and they couldn't send off a distress signal due to the secret nature of the mission, so only 300 survived (true story). The actor who tells the story is sooo good. 

I like the modern Scooby Doo movies personally - they're pretty funny.  How about Nightmare before Christmas?  Johnny Depp is always a good choice for that age.  You may want to preview Ghostbusters if you're considering it - I was surprised at how much I didn't remember about it. ooh - Have you seen Super 8 ?  It is PG-13.  It is creepy and has a monster. And the kids are the heros.

Young Frankenstein has a moderate "adult situations" and a lot of sexual humor, just so you know.  What about Super8?  It has comedy, drama, alien monsters, allusions to Steven Spielberg, what's not to like?  Otherwise, I would go for a classic. 

Super 8 is a great choice. I don't think there is anything offensive in it. With a group of kids you might have some who are not allowed anything with ghosts or other "evil" things.

What about Super8?  It has comedy, drama, alien monsters, allusions to Steven Spielberg, what's not to like? 

Ds2 (15yo) and I just saw this and enjoyed it, though we both thought the ending was cheesy. It does have a lot of swearing in it, if that bothers you. Otherwise it was a fun movie.

My ten year old son likes "Arsenic and Old Lace".

I remember watching "Wait Until Dark" at more than one band party...

Either of the two "Addams Family" movies that had Raul Julia, Angelica Houston, etc. (The third one had a different cast, and just was not the same...)

Spiderwick Chronicles

Harry Potter movies

Jaws

Haunted Mansion

Monster House

Those are all creepy IMO. I haven't seen Jaws for ages though, so I would check the language and sex factor-- I can't remember if there is any?

If those are too tame, I would look at 80's horror films (Twilight Zone, Cujo, Cats Eye, House, etc)... And of course there is Poltergeist! That's high on my creep-o-meter!

The original Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Birds, and Them. All great!

Super 8 was awesome but there is some stuff about an older brother (I think) smoking pot. The kids all freak out about him and say stuff about drugs being bad. It was funny, but it is in there. 

I have to pop in w/ a funny story about The Village.

I was traveling w/ dh when he was working. He was busy working during the day & doesn't like scary movies anyway, so I went to see The Village by myself. Further down the row from me, there was a young guy (maybe about 20yo?), dressed in a very 'tough' style. So, something unexpected happens & this guy screamed so loud that I jumped (more from his screaming than from the movie). :lol:  I figure that if the movie can make a guy who looks like that scream in surprise, it must be pretty good at suspense. ;)

Spiderwick Chronicles

Harry Potter movies

Jaws

Haunted Mansion

Monster House

Those are all creepy IMO. I haven't seen Jaws for ages though, so I would check the language and sex factor-- I can't remember if there is any?

If those are too tame, I would look at 80's horror films (Twilight Zone, Cujo, Cats Eye, House, etc)... And of course there is Poltergeist! That's high on my creep-o-meter!

Cats Eye traumatized me for life when I was a kid.  My Mom...idk what she was thinking, but let me watch it and I refused to sleep without my cat in the room for the next decade.  :lol:   For this age range, probably ok, though.  Spiderwick would be way too babyish for 14 year olds, IMHO.

Lost Boys has a not so graphic sex scene.  It's also an 80s flick, so obligatory big hair, cussing, smoking, and Jason Patrick (the biggest reason to see the movie).

Cats Eye traumatized me for life when I was a kid. My Mom...idk what she was thinking, but let me watch it and I refused to sleep without my cat in the room for the next decade. :lol: For this age range, probably ok, though. Spiderwick would be way too babyish for 14 year olds, IMHO.

Lost Boys has a not so graphic sex scene. It's also an 80s flick, so obligatory big hair, cussing, smoking, and Jason Patrick (the biggest reason to see the movie).

We'll I haven't seen it since it came out, lol - but it didn't traumatize me at all. Creepshow, night of the living dead & nightmare on elm street - those traumatized me!!! lol

So much fun - I love scary movies :)  I guess Insidious is out.....  ;)

The Others

6th Sense

The Village

Gremlins

The Goonies (though not a spooky movie)

The Corpse Bride

Coraline

The Lady in White

ParaNorman

Arachnophobia

Jaws

The one where Steve Martin is a dentist and they have that plant that grows huge & says "feed me." What's it called? Do both of these occur in one movie or am I thinking of two different movies? 

Or - 

a few episodes of The Twilight Zone (thinking about the one where the guy is on the airplane wing or the one where the aliens come to earth to serve humans) 

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes (not creepy, but funny)

The one where Steve Martin is a dentist and they have that plant that grows huge & says "feed me." What's it called? Do both of these occur in one movie or am I thinking of two different movies? 

Or - 

a few episodes of The Twilight Zone (thinking about the one where the guy is on the airplane wing or the one where the aliens come to earth to serve humans) 

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes (not creepy, but funny)

Little Shop of Horrors!

We let dd watch this recently. She liked it

I'd go with some old classic horror flick, something we find cheesy these days but still fun to watch: Dracula, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, The Invisible Man, something like that.

If you want something modern, Sleepy Hollow with Johnny Depp.

Abbot & Costello's Catch That Ghost -- my college played it one year, and I actually screamed (then laughed at myself) at one point. Good movie!

Little Shop of Horrors!

We let dd watch this recently. She liked it

Good one!

Do NOT do Killer Clowns From Outer Space. Really big cheese-factor (you see the string holding up the moon), but my brother had a nightmare afterwards. So many years ago.

I like the Arsenic and Old lace suggestion, if you want to go classic.

I'd vote for "The Lost Boys" it was scary but also funny (vampires, Corey Haim)

Oh, yes, Arsenic and Old Lace, with Cary Grant!