Menu

*lifeoftheparty*

I think that you need to get to the core of your problem.  Jump starting won't help you in the long run.   I know low carb is the current fad, but I've never known anyone to stay on it for a long time.  

I read recently that people who eat three meals a day, never eat lunch out, eat healthy (carrot sticks or small low fat yougurt) snacks and exercise 20 minutes walking per day are the ones that take off weight and keep it off.  

UGH.  I am right there with you.  I can't lose weight without a lot of pain.  I am either really hungry or really run down from lack of carbs.  

I too am trying to figure this out.

I have lost weight twice in my life.  Once I was on Jenny Craig.  I was hungry all the time and it was expensive.  But I was single and working and cost wasn't a huge issue.  The other time was on a 1,200 cal diet and eliminating all flour and sugar (but still having 1 cup grains and 2 fruits, so not super low carb.)

Hope you find what works.

I can feel your pain. Your plan sounds exactly like one I would dream up; well thought out, taking all aspects of your life into consideration, fully justifiable from all angles.

That said, I don't believe there is any justification for drastic, dangerous and unnatural weight loss methods. I know you're desperate, I know you have a plan, but don't do it, not like this.

#1: drugs = no way. This will not teach you healthy habits, portion control, beat emotional eating or anything else to help you make a life-long change. It's a crutch that will make it that much harder to lose weight once you get off it.

#2: shakes = monotony, lack of taste/texture pleasure which will make it difficult to stick with for 3 months (not to mention it's not real food!). Once you go back to normal food after your jump start, you will be so deprived of real, tasty, satisfying food, it will be even harder to stick to healthy habits.

Honestly, my only success has been strictly counting calories, cutting out sugar, limiting carbs, and exercising. I have used shakes or meal bars for convenience, but only for one meal with a salad or veggie soup, not twice a day every day.

I don't have time to prep a lot of special food for myself, and don't have $ for Jenny Craig food. So, I compromise on some pre-prepped items. I buy steam-in bags of veggies like broccoli and zap one every day for lunch. I have flavored fish fillets and veggie burgers in the freezer, and canned or boxed soup in the pantry. I have a box of pre-packaged 1 ounce bags of almonds for snacks.

I also have a basic blue print for every meal, so I don't have to think too much about what to eat. I enter everything I eat into a calorie-counting app to keep tabs on my calories. I eat veggies with every meal, and take very small portions of family meals.

I know you want something easy and automated, but you can create a system for yourself that meets those needs while eating real, natural food and without medical interventions.

I needed to lose 70 lbs., and I've lost 40 of those so far. Feel free to PM me if you want to see my meal blue print, etc. I sincerely wish you well on your weight loss journey.

My advice is:

- Get control of portion sizes.  

- Even restaurants that serve fresh, whole foods have very high calorie dishes so be careful.  

- Determine how many calories you need in a day (total daily energy expenditure) at your current weight then subtract 20% and stick to that calorie amount each day.

- Track your food intake somewhere like myfitnesspal.com, fitday.com, spark people

- Use a food scale and measuring cups, most people underestimate how much food they are eating.

- Read success stories of people who have BTDT and kept it off, myfitnesspal.com has a success story forum.

- Do not do anything drastic or any fad diets to jump start your weight loss.  Instead make sustainable lifestyle changes.

Good luck :)

I hear you on the lack of willpower. :)

What works for me is to get rid of all junk food in the house and not buy any. I buy snacks that the kids like, but I don't (for me, that is pretzels, goldfish crackers... yuck.)

I think a focus on protein and less carbs is a good idea, especially if you are at risk for diabetes.

I wouldn't go for drugs/shakes/etc. I just feel like it is a temporary thing, kwim?

Do you have some "go to" snacks that are easy? For me, it is pickles (almost no calories, but lots of flavor), baby bell cheese (low calorie, but satisfying), ice-cold unsweetened ice tea.

Most importantly, I know that in order to embark on a weight-loss journey, I have to be in a good place emotionally. Time spent on that is worthwhile, I feel. You may be different, but I know I make the wrong food choices when I am upset/stressed.

Best of luck to you! Remember that every bit of good health counts as you are on your way. :)

I understand needing the jump start.  I lost 85+ pounds in 2006 (It took 11 months).  My jump start was eating only vegetables for several weeks, and adding in Leslie Sansone walking videos.  I'm an all or nothing personality, so I never missed a day working out and I didn't allow myself any other food until I was ready to add it back in permanently.  It wasn't fun, but it did break my addiction to food.

In 2009 I got very sick with a chronic liver disease and went on meds in 2010.  Because I was so sick and tired, I now realize I was attempting to give myself energy by eating lots of bad food and my workouts weren't as rigorous and I've been 10-28 pounds over my happy weight.  Several of the medicines I'm on have weight gain as a side effect.  I'm currently on a no grain no sugar diet, and I've been able to lose a little over 6 pounds in 3 weeks (19 more to go!).  I've been insanely busy, and I've noticed the weeks I work out regularly (treadmill & Judo), I lose weight easier, so definitely add in what you can there.

I get what you mean about it taking too much energy to figure out what to feed yourself.  All this to say, you can do this.  Pick what you need to jump start this process.  I would pick the shakes over the medicines to start, simply because they have a lower risk of damage to your health.  

Look. I believe limited carbs are best for MOST people. Your case is an extreme example of that.

The truth is you know what will work best for your weight and health. You just have to do it.

No matter what health/diet style you choose, something has to go or change. In your case, your history and genetics dictate a low carb lifestyle.

I'm like you - I don't lose/ keep off weight unless I eat low carb. Its just how my body works. I recently lost about 25lbs using hcg which I know is very controversial. At any rate, I've kept the weight off for 6 months by eating low carb - primarily meats, veggies/salads, a little fruit. I have pizza once a week, and a high carb food here and there (dinner roll, small dessert, etc.) We rarely eat out, but when I do I typically get a grilled chicken or chef's salad. I arrange family meals around food I can eat - baked chicken, soup, veggies, salad, etc. and just pass on the things I need to avoid (rice, , crackers, potatoes, pasta, bread). When I eat LC faithfully and fast a couple meals a week I lose weight slowly.

I know it's hard for some to understand why we feel the need to do something "drastic". For 4 months before trying hcg I exercised faithfully (biking and walking hills, running stairs 5 times/week) and ate a strict 1800 calorie/day fruit, veggie, lean protein, low fat/moderate carb diet, and lost all of 2lbs out of the 60 I needed to lose.

It can be hard, but I think it's a good idea to plan ahead...make sample menus, try food substitutions, find suitable snacks, experiment with recipes. When you get to your diet date, it won't be as overwhelming.

And this baby isn't as good of a sleeper as the last one. And now I'm homeschooling and have a full social/extracurricular schedule. And I'm tired. And I just can't stay motivated to say no to all the carbs, and make all my special meals/snacks. I just have ZERO self-discipline. Z.E.R.O.

From what I've read, the psychological research seems to show that willpower gets used up. Ever go grocery shopping when hungry and come home with a cart of junk food? My guess is that you "fall off the wagon," not in the morning, but in the late afternoon or evening, after a stressful day. I think success would be easier if you formed habits that make it harder to cheat: don't buy the foods that tempt you; do bulk cooking each week for yourself, so you always have something nutritious ready; have a spoonful of coconut oil when tempted and see if it helps the temptation pass, etc.

In the mean time, get a food scale and log every food you eat. You don't even have to try to change anything yet, just get in the habit. I bet that logging your food will help you make some better choices. Then try to change easier habits, slowly. You didn't gain all this weight in a month, so it will take time to lose. Maybe geting a Fit Bit will help motivate you to start walking more.

With all the weight you need to lose, I suggest focus on eating and feeling better first. In time, your energy will improve and then you might feel up to exercising. High intensity interval training will help burn muscle glycogen. My understanding is that refilling muscle glycogen is the top priority for blood glucose, so it should make controlling your blood sugar easier.

Get a good glucose meter and test how your body reacts to everything you eat. If it spikes your sugar, don't eat it or see if eating less of it with more fat is okay. I was reading the other day that women in their 50s are typically worried about breast cancer or heart attacks, when the risk of becoming diabetic is really 5-10 times more likely than the others.

From what I've read, the psychological research seems to show that willpower gets used up.

I think, for some people, it is very similar to alcoholism. It's not a matter of will power. It's an actual, physical reality. Eating carbs creates a craving for more carbs while at the same time not satiating the eater. This creates chronic hunger which the eater then tries to satisfy with........more carbs.

Breaking the carb craving cycle is physical and there are some assists that can help with that.

If, after it has been broken, a person "craves" carbs, I believe it is because not enough has been done to change the brain towards healing (this is true, too, with alcoholism). Prayer, meditation, journaling, fellowship, support, exercise, good self care, etc. all change the brain.

I have just a little less to lose than you do.  I'm down 14 pounds and have been losing it at an average of 1/2 per week.  That's agonizingly slow, but I'm ok with that because my focus is on changing habits rather than losing weight.

I've made the following changes since April:

Habit 1: Eat more produce.

I watched Terry Wahl's TED talk about how she cured her MS with diet.  I now have her  3 cups colored fruits, 3 cups greens, and 3 cups broccoli/cauliflower  per day as my impossible goal.  Since I believe that is impossible for me, I shoot for as much as I can manage while still also eating meat and other foods.  

Habit 2: Have a basic plan

Since my life is crazy right now, and because I like it, I've taken to making myself a smoothie most days.  My daily smoothie is 1 cup of 100% juice (grape, blueberry, pomegranate blends), 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries, 1/2 cup frozen blackberries/marionberries, 3-4 chunks of frozen pineapple, 3-4 frozen strawberries, and a cup or more of fresh spinach.  Sometimes I throw in a banana.  I find that this fills me and keeps me full until lunch.  I also feel better and my chronic pain is better controlled. 

Lunch is normally leftovers, a sandwich made on Dave's Killer Bread, or a salad.

Dinner is normally half a plate of veggies and/or salad and 3-4 ounces of meat.  If I make a starchy side, I have 1/2 cup.

Habit 3:  Eat less 

I bought smaller plates.  I also halved the size of all of my meals.  I didn't go straight to eating half of what I used to; I gradually reduced the amount. 

Habit 4:  Cut dessert.

I love dessert, but I finally cut it down to one night a week.  We never used to buy them, but we often choose individual serving ice cream (drum sticks, klondike bars) because it's a single serving.  Compared to our previously heaping bowls of ice cream, it is a lot less calories.   I've even gotten to the point of being able to skip it even though everyone else is having some.

Habit 5: Cut soda.  

I've only had about 8oz of soda in the past three months. Barely miss it.  I'll sometimes have a sip of someone else's soda to get the taste without having to drink a whole can/cup.

Habit 6: Enjoy favorites...just less of it and with better sides.   

I serve hamburgers on thins instead of a bun (about 100 less calories) and serve with steamed green beans instead of fries.  I recently made baked potato soup; I had a 1/2 cup serving with a salad.  I recently served soup with a side of roasted asparagus.  I used to always serve soup with a sandwich or loaf of fresh bread.   

Habit 7: Weigh myself every morning.  

I get off track with the above habits every now and then.  Usually it is making comfort foods too many days in a row. Seeing my weight up 2-4 pounds for a couple of days helps me get back on track so that I have a gradual downward trend on my weight rather than it staying the same or going up.

Habit 8: 

Be more concerned about the gradual shift in habits rather than how slowly the weight it coming off.

Habit 9:

I haven't started this one yet, but I hope to some day add exercise into my day.  My schedule and a few injuries are making that difficult.  

I don't have your carb problems but can relate to being a foodie. Frankly, it's a mind problem. (And willpower is totally unreachable when tired, I get that.) I made a few "rules" for myself that helped, for example lunch is always a salad (with tons of veggies and protein) or soup. Period. No thinking involved. Breakfast is a rotation of three things (eggs, oatmeal, yogurt). This serves the same purpose as shakes, etc. The decision is made. No thinking required. I'd also focus on your health (that beautiful baby, etc). Anything you do, even small things that don't show on a scale,that moves you toward health is a success. Slow and steady. It's boring as all h*ll but it works.

Have you considered a support group? There are downsides (e.g. WW can be pricey, OA is, to some extent, faith-based), but 12-step programs help an awful lot of people turn their lives around from a point of total despair. There is a lot of power in peer support, and many many people are able to turn their lives around from dire situations when even drastic medical treatments have failed. I have personally seen some amazing results come out of 12-step programs, I'd be happy to share more in a private message if you have questions.

I don't know anything about those specific shakes, but I don't think the "shakes plus a healthy dinner" model is terrible.  You explained pretty well that the longer you stay at a higher weight and a higher carb sensitivity, the more you'll be endangering your health. Yeah, there are ways to do the same thing with "real" food, but if you know that's not going to get done, you're better off doing the plan that will help you.

Things that help me: Sometimes my food cravings are more sensory than nutritive.  I wouldn't be able to do those shakes, but I could do certain protein/meal bars that are hard and chewy.  I am much hungrier if I'm not on a multivitamin.  I made four babies in five years, and breastfed them, some of it while I was pregnant.  My body is still operating on a deficit from that, and I need vitamins in addition to what I get from food.  On top of a multivitamin, I am in love with my B-complex vitamin. It makes a huge difference in my mood and energy level, which is so important when you're losing weight. Everyone loves coconut oil, but I can't take it without falling asleep on the couch an hour later. B vitamins, I can do.  Another comment on the breastfeeding thing - it takes my body a while to realize I'm not doing that anymore and it's really okay to start losing weight. Once those hormones are more steady, it's easier. I'd consider that a factor on top of the PCOS.

I'd look at it this way.  Are you healthier drinking the shakes, or are you healthier putting off the weight loss because it's tough with the other things you're juggling right now?

I think, for some people, it is very similar to alcoholism. It's not a matter of will power. It's an actual, physical reality. Eating carbs creates a craving for more carbs while at the same time not satiating the eater. This creates chronic hunger which the eater then tries to satisfy with........more carbs.

Breaking the carb craving cycle is physical and there are some assists that can help with that.

If, after it has been broken, a person "craves" carbs, I believe it is because not enough has been done to change the brain towards healing (this is true, too, with alcoholism). Prayer, meditation, journaling, fellowship, support, exercise, good self care, etc. all change the brain.

THIS X a million.

Exploring why I continued to do what was damaging to myself and my family, despite knowing it was damaging, helped me very much. 

Addiction is a bitch. I totally believe there are some people who are addicted to carbs, or who eat carbs for the serotonin and other feel-good chemicals they help the body produce. (That's me over there, waving my hand.) Brains scheme to get what they need. Perhaps some education in the addiction process would be useful.

Approaching weight loss like an addiction helps me lose. It can be the missing piece when good choices/healthy exercise/enough rest/stress management are all in place.

so it happened the other way round for me; i didn't kick the carbs addiction until after i'd lost the weight and kept eating without too many of them for oh, a really long time.

joannqn has a great list.  the nice thing is that you can add one thing a week until you have them all going.  ie.  you don't need to do it all at once.

ideas:

come up with your own smoothie/shake recipes.  make them for breakfast and lunch.

come up with your own menues that fit into your calorie intake level.  eg.  in the mornings, i have  coffee with cream + a banana about an hour before i have one of the following:

- a homemade bagel and cream cheese and lox

- one waffle with cooked fruit + maple syrup

- one homemade breakfast burrito

- one english muffin turned into eggs benedict using a knorr hollandaise sauce recipe and canadian bacon/lean ham

- a five ounce non-fat yoghurt parfait with frozen fruit and granola

- a mega-veggie omelet

- cooked oatmeal (i actually use the individual servings that you add hot water to, because they are fast and easy and i like them)

at 10am we have a fruit + kale smoothie

at noon i have 300 calories of something, usually soup + protein

at 4pm i have 150 calories worth of snack

and then a 400-600 calorie snack.

right now my hips are too sore to exercise BUT i make sure i don't sit for longer than 40 minutes at a time without getting up and doing something. (even if its just dishes or laundry).  not sitting for hours has made a huge difference.

all that said, if you think using the shakes for a few weeks while you start to put other things in place will help, then for you that does seem the lesser of the two evils, which i think was your question.

dh really did throw out anything that was too high carb/high calorie when we started.  even yet, i will gain if i bring certain things into the house.  just not buying butter turned out to be a brilliant thing; many things i love to eat i love to eat WITH butter.

only now, four years in, can i have butter in the house and not consume it quickly.

its worth the journey.  good luck!

ann

I too have PCOS.  It makes weight loss so hard.  I did lose weight over the summer doing low fat, high fiber (veggies and fruit), little to no gluten, and too little protein.  IF I had stayed that course for 2 weeks, maybe a month,  to break the carb cravings, I think it would have been alright.  But, I did it for over 3 months.  Yes, I lost weight, but ended up having some health problems.  Nutritionist and doc said I needed more protein, more good fat (avocado, coconut oil, olives, etc), portion control, and hormone balance.

Are you nursing your little one? 

You mentioned soy.  Reseach soy and PCOS.  Soy is estrogenic.  Personally, I can't tolerate it.  You might be different and not have a problem with it.  But, research it and decide with more info.

Weight loss is slow and difficult.  But, if your hormones are not balanced, it will be more problematic.  Have you had a complete hormone panel run?  Are your numbers in ratio?  What are testosterone levels?  TSH, T3, T4? Are your adrenals working properly?  D3 levels?

For a long time, I thought my diet was pretty "clean."  And basically, it was okay.  But, the portions were not right and there was too much hidden "stuff."  I can't eat white rice, pasta, potatoes, sandwiches, etc. and lose weight.  I can have an opened face turkey sandwich and side salad.  But, I can't have a full sandwich with mayo and a salad with salad dressing, crutons, dried fruit, etc.  I can have coffee once or twice a WEEK, but not daily.  I can enjoy fresh fruit, but not dried fruit and nuts/seeds in a trail mix.

Also, for me, artificial sweeteners and fat free products are not good at all.  Stevia is okay and I use it in lemonade.  I sweeten plain greek yogurt with fresh or frozen fruit. 

I would encourage you to get some labs run and talk with a nutritionist.  You might consider looking over a Weight Watcher book and see what portions look like.  Or, look at the old diabetic exchange list. Figure out how many calories you need to lose weight.  Then see how many exchanges make up that number of calories. 

Good for you making these changes now!!!  It is so hard and a long haul process.  Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint.  Keeping the weight off is a lifestyle.  Believe me, I know it is hard.  I'm in the food fight too.  And, it is harder the older we get.  Our bodies don't respond as fast or as smoothly as when we were younger.  Another reason some labs would be beneficial. 

I have PCOS.  I used to be morbidly obese.  I am now on the border.  I'm obese...soon to be overweight.  That is my goal for the end of the year, overweight.  ;)

The only way I have been able to do it is to make it a lifestyle change that I can live with each day, rather than a "diet".  I take meds to control my PCOS.  I drink 3/20 oz bottles of water a day on a schedule and drink as few calories as possible each day.  I use myfitnesspal.com to measure my calories when I'm in a loss cycle and I now use a fitbit flex to measure my activity every day.  I eat healthy but I also enjoy food and I don't short change myself.  If I want something I work it in to my calories or I walk more.  I set reasonable weight loss goals followed by plateaus where my only goal is to maintain the weight loss.  This works better for me than just continual weight loss and keeps me from loosing sight of my overall goal.

I have PCOS too, and I was up to 90 pounds overweight.  I've lost 40 of that so far.  I do low carb a lot of the time, but I do not overly deprive myself.  I cut out all grains most of the time because my body just can't handle them well.  But I still eat my yogurt and have a small amount of fruit because that makes it easier for me to be sane.  And my husband and I have frequent "cheat days" where we have something we've been craving and write it off.  The weight has come off slowly and steadily for me so far.

Also, if you have PCOS, your hormones are most likely very out of whack.  For me personally, I have a whole lot more testosterone than a woman would normally have.  This makes it easier to gain muscle, and the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn.  So I exercise nearly every day.  To take advantage of this, do exercise that incorporate weights or your body's resistance, not just running.  I'm not muscle bound or anything like women are often scared of because that takes extreme weightlifting.  But I have some muscle and it helps my body burn off the carbs I do eat and I don't gain weight.

And if you haven't yet, have your thyroid tested.  Mine is a little high and now that I'm getting that medicated, weight loss has been even easier and I have 10x more energy and motivation.

I think what I am getting from this thread is that you have to do what works for YOU.

I hate low carb with a lot of meat.  I am not a big meat eater and feel gross/off/heavy/sick when I eat mostly meat, even with meat and veggies.  I have to have some carbs of some sort.  

I have to have something that at least resembles a dessert (even if it is frozen banana and stevia in the blender to make "mock" dessert!!!!)

I really need to get myself together on this train.

I don't think there's anything wrong with doing some kind of jump-start. 

If you wanted to do protein shakes (low carb shakes) for a couple meals a day and then one low-carb meal for a couple weeks. I would think that would give you a good jump and then ease into more real food, focusing on increasing fat.

I won't say that LC is the best thing for everyone but from your OP it really sounds like you NEED to be LC (with the GD, PCOS, and family diabetes it's only a matter of time). :sad:

And yes, it is absolutely an addiction. Like I said, I am a foodie and absolute food snob ;) I like GOOD food and it makes me happy. I go through crazy withdrawals when I start limiting and cutting out the carbs. I have to be on my game when I am going through it, and being tired and/or busy just makes my will power go down  the drain :(

Do you cook when you're LC?  There are thousands of great LC recipes out there.

Maybe a healthy jump start? A juicing fast for 3 days and then juicing for 2 meals and a fairly low carb healthy dinner for a week? If the juice was mostly veggies, it should be low enough in sugar, I would think.

Watch or rewatch "Fat sick and nearly dead" for juicing inspiration, it is like a giant juicing infomercial and interesting as well.

:grouphug:

A chiro might be able to help regulate hormones.

Food snobbery is good. It stops you eating the worst junk. :p

Start with your breakfast. Fix that up and you'll be setting off for the day on the best foot. Over carbing for breakfast is not good for anyone. I know the low carb people consider legumes to be high carb, but if you need carbs (as I do) you have to get them somewhere. It's hard to feel deprived when you've just had a nice bowl of spiced dal for breakfast. Like the one I'm eating right now! Yum, yum! That contains the right balance of carbs and protein for me.

If I were you, I would start with blood work to rule out things like thyroid condition, vitamin D deficiency, anemia etc.  I say this because you've said that you're very very tired and that sometimes means there's something else going on. 

I would also look into getting a good probiotic and reading about gut health.  

If your'e looking for a jump start, Whole 30 helped me a lot.  I think most people do a lot better on it if they plan for it.  I'm not a particularly organized person so I had to make sure that the stuff I would eat compulsively wasn't around and I was prepared for eating on the go.  

Whatever else you do, try getting extra sleep and doing something nice for yourself that is unrelated to eating or dieting.  I know how stressful it can be to constantly feel like you need to loose weight.  Remember that you are a valuable person for a lot of reasons.  Good Luck!

My goodness, I could almost have written that post (but my family history is cancer, they don't live long enough to get heart problems). 

Just FYI, hypercholesterolemia can be related to PCOS. 

For the metformin, I can only stomach the XR (extended release form). 

The thing is most typical dieting (portion, cal counting, etc) alone DOES NOT work for us. and most nutritionists I met just blew me off.

I got down to a size 8 (using 1000 cal/10g fat a day (literally weighed/measured everything), some juice only days,some slimfast shakes, stair master every day and yes, some RX meds when I plateaued)  after being obese for most my life (then I had kids). I now want to get back down to at least a 10/12. I don't think my post babies body will ever go back to those size 8 pants  :laugh: , twin tummy and all that.

But our body chemistry is soooo out of whack that we (or most of us with PCOS, at least those I've "met") are 1) hungry all the time (not exaggerating there, the high insulin levels can make you feel never satiated) and 2 )  addicted chemically to carbs (it is not lack of will power, I physically get sick sometimes if I don't eat). Unless you have experienced, it is hard to describe. It is not a simple craving.

I felt great low carbing, but I need to go back to it. Our budget has taken a hit and it costs more for us (even just me) to eat that way. I have to figure out a way to make it work. :001_unsure:

I really have to remove food as a big part of my life for it to work (hard to do when 4 kids want to be fed each day :tongue_smilie: ).

And I don't think of organic chocolate cake as chocolate cake. It's organic and it's yummy, so I eat it :)

For starters, if you maintain eating all you like but just cut out alcohol and things that contain actual refined sugar or any caloric sweeteners ... cakes, pancakes, pancakes with maple syrup, cookies, biscotti, Nutella, sodas, lemonade, iced coffee thingies from Starbucks, yogurt smoothies sweetened with honey, brownies made with organic brown rice syrup, (you get the picture) ...  you may just get the jump start you're looking for.

I can be on board with all of your foodisms and a lot of your preferences resonate with me, but consumption of actual  desserts is not one of them. 

You might want to try juicing with what you have before investing in something else.  I found juicing was not a good way for me to lose weight.  I could eat whole fruit, but for some reason, juiced fruit and/or veggies did not agree with my weight loss.  Protein shakes have been okay.  I use either greek yogurt or cottage cheese, fruit, and Jay Robb's egg white protein powder.  Lately, I've been craving pumpkin shakes.  About a quarter cup pumpkin, quarter cup yogurt or cottage cheese, ice, 2 Tbls protein powder, maybe some water for consistency, and voila......a nice afternoon snack. 

just came by to say i'm off for my morning walk here in SoCal; want to come? 

you can walk there, i can walk here.

my hips are sore this morning, so i'll only be gone 15 minutes or so.

see you in a bit ;)

ann

ps.

re juicing: i find the blender works way better on multiple levels.  the pulp is way more filling and adds fiber and vitamins and antioxidents (because you get the skin chopped up into many little bits) and is cheaper and easier. 

i haven't bought a juicer because quite frankly i think i'd like it, but i would consume way more calories than i want and would lose some of the benefits. 

I've done the "jump-start" thing with Slim-Fast in the past. It worked one time (I went on to lose probably 50 pounds total), but that coincided with a lot of changes in my life. The good thing about that approach--you can see a quick bit of weight loss, which is very motivating. It's a reminder that it is possible to lose weight and you might see a few early benefits that will keep you going, such as clothes starting to fit better.

When I did Slim-Fast, I followed the plan exactly for two weeks. By the end, I was SO excited to eat regular food again. I mean sure, you could have the "healthy dinner" on Slim-Fast, but I didn't always want a shake for breakfast. So in other words, ANY regular food was suddenly delicious--including lean meats and salads. But in those two weeks I was on Slim-Fast, I chose a long-term weight loss plan and researched it and committed to it. Then I started adding in exercise, and that became fun so I added in more, and I just started to feel so good about myself that it was easy to stay committed to just calorie counting (Actually, Joy Bauer's 90/10 Plan, which is essentially calorie counting.) Another book that I would recommend because it's just great--the Beck Weight Loss Solution. This is not a diet plan, but it provides you with techniques that help you stick with a weight loss plan, such as how to deal with cravings. 

http://www.amazon.com/The-Beck-Diet-Solution-Person/dp/B001NXDRJO/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

Have you ever heard of Whole30. Its a 30 day program where you cut almost every type of sugar and starch out of your diet for 30 days.  You eat high protein/ high good fats for the 30 days.  It was the only thing that got rid of my addiction to sugar.  Once the actual addiction was gone I was able to form healthier habits without my body constantly screaming at me to just grab those chips or that cake.  My addiction was so bad that even when it wasn't in the house I would drive somewhere to get it if I needed sugar. 

After a terrible bout of depression due to a late term miscarriage I reverted back to my sugar addiction because I stopped taking care of myself and just ate what people fed me.  I have had to start another whole 30 in order to kick the addiction again.  The best strategy that has worked for me is to find a few whole30 meals and cook them in bulk every week.  I just eat the same things over and over again for the whole 30 days.  Its not fun but its easy and it will get you through the addiction without having to scramble to find something to eat so you don't mess up.  Before the 30 days is over I make a 2 week meal plan that slowly incorporates foods I couldn't have back in.  And I mean slowly! Its very easy to just say ok its over so I can eat whatever again.   Right after the 30 days is when you start making the healthier choices and finally say no more this that and the other whenever I want.

As a side note, not that weigh was my reason for doing it.. but because of the whole 30 I was able to go from 190 lb to 134 lb in a healthy amount of time.