Menu

do you ever feel like your kids are missing out on things because you h/s?

When I think back to my grade school/ highschool years....I mostly hated the whole expereince, that is except being in choir and band.  My kids are very musical and they take private lessons...but sometimes, I feel like I am making them miss out on the expereince of singing/playing with a group of kids...having concerts, going to competitions., putting on plays and musicals, having talent shows...etc.  I know those things are not all good and I also know if I wanted I could work extra hard to get them involved in such things...but here, where we live, h/s kids aren't really accepted in the public school and to do that would probably be hurtful and not helpful.  We don't have enough hoeschoolers close enough to do a homeschooling form of this either.  We live in a small town in a very rural area, so there are no community groups either.

Just so you know, the boys are involved in AYSO in the spring and my one son played with an honor band once last year that his teacher got him in.  My daughter maybe once a year will play her accordion with a local pollka band that her teacher is in...but that really is the extent of their "group" involvement.  Options here are very limited unless I want to drive a hour (one way) weekly, or more so they can be more involved.  We just don't have that kind of time...and our family time is very improtant too.

Do you ever feel that your kids are missing out?  Do I just need to get over it and realize my kids don't know what they are missing and so it's ok? 

What are your thoughts on this??

As someone who loved school from start to finish, I know they are missing out on certain things by not being in school. (And, of course, many people are going to talk about all the negative things they are glad their kids are missing out on, but I usually just get nostalgic. :tongue_smilie:) However, the counter to them missing out on school opportunities by homeschooling is that if they were in school, they would be missing out on what I deem to be more important things. So, I choose to homeschool, but I purposefully seek out enrichment activities that give my kids a similar sense of community, teamwork, etc.

Kids will definitely miss out on things no matter what form of education they receive, but you have to weigh the pros and cons and determine if the opportunity cost is worth paying. If you can ID the things that they are missing out on and find another way for them to have that experience, then do it. But make the decision that is best for your kids long term development and personal growth and then live with your choice. Own it and sleep well at night. :)

I have no doubt they are missing out on some things.  However, they are getting so much more by being HS'd that it doesn't matter. Much of what they are missing is intentional on my part anyway, like the negative influence.  I admit some of it would be fun and maybe even good for them. But, nothing that they are missing outweighs all the awesome they are getting at home.  :D

Yes. They will miss out on some things and that is disappointing. But, there's lots they won't have to deal with, and that's a good thing.

FWIW, we did start a music program locally. We're near a large university but are otherwise pretty rural. It started with about 15 kids and an instructor passionate about teaching. It grew... And grew... And grew. And changed. It took a few parents who were very committed, but after that and a good reputation with the college, it's been great. There are now 2 bands and 2 choirs. We no longer participate (we do piano and my kids don't want another instrument, and HATED choir, lol!!), but I wanted to encourage you that if you want it - you really can do it. You may be doing it all - but it can be done.

We've also done a musical, had a theater program, have a spring and fall r obotics program, and more. It can be done,

Hmmmm, we have lived in areas that have had homeschool band (our oldest played in a large one, none of the others have been interested).   THey have gone to homeschool proms (we started sponsoring dances when our oldest was 16).   My 17  and 14 yr olds are swing dancing at a dance school as I type.  (not homeschool associated)  They have joined a fencing club.   (not homeschool associated)   These are things you can get started if you don't have them in your area.   If you live in an area without many homeschoolers, a lot of times small private schools are more than happy to have additional paying students for certain non-academic activities like band, choir, and clubs.

OK, so I am not nuts in thinking that there are things they are missing...although there are things that they are gaining too....many things...I am not ignoring that....I just was wondering if I was alone in this thought....thanks for telling me that I am not.

I do sleep very well at night knowing our kids are home with us all of the time...thanks again.

Yeah.  My kids are missing stuff:

--being spat on while riding the bus

--being excluded from the cliques and pecking orderat school, even in 1st grade

--the cruelty -- intentional or otherwise -- of other children

--35 kids in a K class

--moving at someone else's schedule

--being submitted to the state or local school system's curriculum, rather than the things I feel would benefit them most.

One advantage I realized only recently:

BECAUSE we homeschool, my child is less tired for outside activities. If I know she was up too late last night, (or didn't sleep well), I can let her sleep late in the morning, or rest in the afternoon before the activity that she enjoys.  Many friends who have 1st graders don't let their kids participate in ANY afternoon activities because their 6yo is simply too tired after a full day of intellectual and social requirements.

ETA: spelling errors

I think it's healthy to realize that no matter which option (school-wise) you choose for your child, there will be sacrifices. Yes, there are some awesome things happening in brick and mortar schools that simply cannot (no matter how adamantly the homeschoolers suggest otherwise) be emulated at home... but the same can be said for homeschooling - what you are offering your children, in terms of time, education, and extracurriculars, at home CANNOT be emulated at a brick and mortar school in most cases.

*hugs* I know it can be difficult. It hits me hard at times too.

I go through periods where I think of the things the kids are missing out on, but then I think that:

1)  2-4 dances throughout my high school career (a grand total of 4 evenings) is not worth giving up homeschooling

2)  Even as adults, we all have to make choices...we homeschool and miss out on outside careers, we have small or large families, we buy a new car and miss out on being able to afford other things.  Life is FILLED with situations where you give up one thing to gain another, and this is just another one of those choices to be made.

3)  Our kids get to do other things because they are homeschooled that they would not be able to do otherwise...we volunteer weekly at our local food bank, which they all really enjoy.  In two weeks they are going to help for the third year set up for the local art club's annual show, which they wouldn't be able to do if they were in school.  During the winter, once in a while during the week they get to work with Dad at our restaurant in our local airport, and they work weekends, giving them a chance to earn some money as well as interact with people face to face from all over the world who come to ski.  I could name dozens of other opportunities they've had due to having a different schedule.

4)  My own son reminded me of something recently that I had not thought about before when he said, "Mom, you are forgetting we can't really miss things we've never had and aren't around.  Prom and Homecoming are meaningless to us.  There is nothing for us to feel like we are missing because we aren't around anyone talking about it or going to it.  Honestly, mom, I don't care at all about that stuff."  The few things I enjoyed about high school were far outweighed by the things I very much disliked, and if asked back then if I would give up dances and band to homeschool, I know I would have said "yes" in a heartbeat.  We make a much bigger deal about high school events than we ever should, and when adults are asked later about it, most do NOT say high school was a great experience for them...so I have decided to just let it go.

And high school is not at all what it was 30 years ago, nor is the education.

It's funny you should mention this, especially pertaining to band. I was (today) just thinking about being in the band, how much I enjoyed it (though I hated school in general), and that my children, if they continue to homeschool, will "miss out" on being in a school band. I was in the Concert Band, Stage Band (we traveled), and Marching Band. It was certainly a part of junior high and high school life that I identified with at the time. Blue and white -- Go, Devils! :)

Yes, I do, to answer your question. But I think they would miss out on so much more if they were in school. For one thing, they would almost never see their father, and they would rarely see their grandparents. They'd see a lot less of each other and quite a bit less of me. So that's a big one. ;) We are a family, and that's better than a band.

Back to the Devils, though. Our band jacket had a huge devil logo all across the back of it, complete with horns and angry face, LOL. Imagine how that went over when I wore the jacket to church youth group. :lol:

The homeschoolers in my area have dances, a prom, and a huge graduation. There are tons of tutorials for school-esque high school experiences. There are tons of sports teams and now homeschoolers in TN can play on the ps sports teams. We have a home school band. The ps doesn't have an orchestra, but the county does and auditions are open to everyone. My big boys participated in very few of these things and I suspect this would have been true no matter where they attended school. My youngest plays in the exact same orchestra that everyone plays in regardless of the school they attend. He is still too young for the high school stuff, so who knows.

When my oldest was in jr high, we went to visit the ps we were zoned for. As we walked through the school, a student walked up to the lady giving us the tour and asked, "Those be yo' chil'en?" My big boys still talk about this. lol All of the students spoke English so poorly that we couldn't leave quickly enough. Then, we moved and we visited the jr high my second ds was zoned for. I left thinking that it wouldn't be horrible if ds ended up going to school. Ds left thinking he never wanted to set foot inside that building ever again. :) So, it obviously depends very much on where you live on whether you think your kids might be missing something.

In elementary school K-6, I am certain that my kids received a better education than they would have at the public schools in TN and 90% of the private schools in my area. However, 7-12 is something else. My home doesn't have a state of the art science lab. I don't speak several languages. (although my dh does, he isn't the teacher.) I tried to compensate, but as homeschoolers my kids didn't have it every day. (They did have other things that their traditional classroom counterparts did not, but science lab and daily foreign language instruction were not on the list.) Anyway, with my big boys, we made the decision to homeschool on a year-by-year basis until they entered high school when it became a four year gig. Every year we decided that overall it was better to homeschool. In high school, home was definitely best for my oldest, but I suspect my middle ds would have done just as well in a traditional classroom.

I wish my youngest had mentors on a daily basis to inspire him to achieve and do his best, but not the ps variety. He is 10yo and there isn't ps locally that can challenge him in math as they will only offer a one grade level acceleration in fifth grade. I mean really what would he learn there? That small, smart boys are uncool and bullied. I knew a Chinese family from Kumon whose boys learned exactly this. They ended up sending their oldest to family in China to go to school when he was in jr high. :/ That really says it all.

If we won the lottery or something, there are a few private schools, and it's a very short list, that I would consider for my youngest. As is, right now home is the best gig around, and once again we'll deal with high school when we get there.

Mandy

None of my children are high school yet. When my oldest was at that age when the "big yellow bus" can down our street and he didn't get on. He asked me what it was like. I actually asked the school system if he could ride it one day, just to see what it was like. Oh, those days when I thought they wanted my boy to thrive. Of course, they said no. ha So we got a ride on a city bus. And then we took a taxi. And we rode in a trolly car (not a real one, unfortunately). We rode the tram at the zoo too. Then there wasn't anymore bad feelings about missing the big yellow bus.. and it was decided that our van was safer, and more comfy then all those other choices.

Fast forward a few years and a move to another US state. Our local elementary school teaches for only 5 hours including lunch starting this year. There is no art class, no music class, no field trips, no big yellow buses, no physical education class, no recess, no school library, no school media room, no more readers, no math text books. The school does have five brand spanking new buildings, beautiful brand new play equipment that my tax dollars payed for against our voting wishes(but do you remember they don't get recess anymore and they can't play on them during their 20 min lunch either because there is no adult supervision at that time). Instead the kids get, 25 to 30 worksheets a day to fill out at home. They do teach sex education, sexual orientation (two separate classes), CC new math and creative spelling in K-6th. I know some schools have gone from having a central library to having classroom libraries. This is not the case here... there are no books at the school. The kids get weekly packets for K-6th grade. They have to staple their own "books" together each week... with staples that they must provide from home.

My son is 13 now. Last year he was saying how he misses out on Art classes at public school, until he met one of the school art teachers for 9th grade in our district. He was taking an adult watercolor class that she was teaching. She told him how his classes at the art center have much better prepared him then a pubic school class would have. She noted how quickly he picked up the material and how he went home and practiced on his own. She told him how not one of her talented ps kids did this in the 35 years that she's been teaching art. Also she told him that it cost more for her students to take an art class then the $35 class he was taking. I later asked what she meant by costing more... I thought art was a free subject. She told me each child has to bring their own supplies (same as ds city art center class) and they had to pay the "pay to play fee" of $250. I knew this was required for band and sports but didn't realize it was for choir, theater, shop, home economics and foreign language lessons as well. She told me at the end of my sons class that he had produce more finished pieces of art then any one of her 12 classes (which were half semester classes) had. That's a total of 45 days. My son's class was eight sessions.

Our local public (free) high school requires all seniors to pay a senior fee for prom (even if the kid doesn't go to prom), graduations fees (even if he doesn't graduate). They are called "senior fees" (total of over $3,000 if he goes on the senior trip) and do not include cap and gown, senior rings, letters, or yearbooks. My nephew is a Sophomore this year and had to pay $1,000 for his classes, not including text books (they have to buy their text books), flash drives, pencils, paper, backpack, school clothes. He has average classes if he had AP or Honors classes it would have been more. And even though he was bused to school last year he doesn't get bused this year. There is a lunch room fee. Yes, to use the lunch room (not to buy food there), and you have to pay it even if you choose to go off campus for lunch. There is a gym fee even if you don't have P.E. There is a parking fee for everyone 16 and older even if you don't own a car. There is a library fee even though there is NO LIBRARY at the school. I thought maybe the "library fee" was for e-books or for a kindle/nook the kids would use during the school year... nope.

So I used to think they would be missing out on things as they grew older, especially the High School years... but now I know we wouldn't even be able to afford all the pay to play fees and extra fees that my sil has to pay each year for her son.

Oh, blieve me, I know that they are NOT missing so much at the local school and are gaining SO much from being home....but when the marching band practices their marching right in front of our home and the kids go running to see, those fond memories of being in a 200 piece marching band in HS, marching in parades and at football games comes flooding back...or when I take my son to his trumpet lesson in the local school band room and I hear the teacher talk about "going to state" or "practicing for the school play"....my minds travels back to when I was doing that. 

But then reality does set it...and I have to ask myself if I am willing to trade those things for all of the good they are getting here at home...and of course the answer "NO WAY!!!!".....

but thanks again for sharing all of your thoughts....I appreciate the perspective.

Recently, my dd8 asked me to wake her up so she could eat with her dad before he left.  I asked her if it was time to get her own alarm clock.  She told me it would not be very useful, because she loves waking up with mom every day.  

I do have an occasional twinge of longing for things my kids could get at school.  But none of that is more important than my dd knowing her mom loves her.  I started homeschooling for academic reasons, but now my top reason is how it has strengthened our family.  No school is going to do that for my family.  

No.  When I first pulled my oldest son from his freshman year of high school his one concern was the prom.  Fast forward to his senior year, a cute girl that he knew from youth group invited him to the local high school prom. He went.  Then he thanked me for homeschooling him and said that prom attendance would not have been worth going to the school.  I felt victorious. LOL  The same year he also attended a homeschool banquet/dance  for seniors and had a much better time there.

No, I don't really think that because I think they are getting so much more with homeschooling. Different but way more!

ETA: My kids have no other homeschool friends. They have friends who go to public school that are from church or from the neighborhood or from Boy Scouts. 

I would assume you have a Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts or American Heritage Girls in your area? That is the only extra curricular activity/social group we are involved in. Our church is extremely small! 33 members. Only my daughter has one friend there that she sees only on Sundays. 

Agreeing with others who mention the family aspect. I started homeschooling as well for academic reasons and now it's all about our relationship together as a family and time spent for my children to enjoy their childhood. There are many years of adulthood, way more than childhood.

Most of the things my daughter missed out on I am glad she did.  They were all negative things.  She was involved in a choir and dance and those were the things she really enjoyed.  She missed out on being bullied, told she couldn't read anything above her grade level, being pushed to use alcohol and drugs, etc.  I'm glad she was homeschooled. 

None of my children are high school yet. When my oldest was at that age when the "big yellow bus" can down our street and he didn't get on. He asked me what it was like. I actually asked the school system if he could ride it one day, just to see what it was like. Oh, those days when I thought they wanted my boy to thrive. Of course, they said no. ha So we got a ride on a city bus. And then we took a taxi. And we rode in a trolly car (not a real one, unfortunately). We rode the tram at the zoo too. Then there wasn't anymore bad feelings about missing the big yellow bus.. and it was decided that our van was safer, and more comfy then all those other choices.

Fast forward a few years and a move to another US state. Our local elementary school teaches for only 5 hours including lunch starting this year. There is no art class, no music class, no field trips, no big yellow buses, no physical education class, no recess, no school library, no school media room, no more readers, no math text books. The school does have five brand spanking new buildings, beautiful brand new play equipment that my tax dollars payed for against our voting wishes(but do you remember they don't get recess anymore and they can't play on them during their 20 min lunch either because there is no adult supervision at that time). Instead the kids get, 25 to 30 worksheets a day to fill out at home. They do teach sex education, sexual orientation (two separate classes), CC new math and creative spelling in K-6th. I know some schools have gone from having a central library to having classroom libraries. This is not the case here... there are no books at the school. The kids get weekly packets for K-6th grade. They have to staple their own "books" together each week... with staples that they must provide from home.

My son is 13 now. Last year he was saying how he misses out on Art classes at public school, until he met one of the school art teachers for 9th grade in our district. He was taking an adult watercolor class that she was teaching. She told him how his classes at the art center have much better prepared him then a pubic school class would have. She noted how quickly he picked up the material and how he went home and practiced on his own. She told him how not one of her talented ps kids did this in the 35 years that she's been teaching art. Also she told him that it cost more for her students to take an art class then the $35 class he was taking. I later asked what she meant by costing more... I thought art was a free subject. She told me each child has to bring their own supplies (same as ds city art center class) and they had to pay the "pay to play fee" of $250. I knew this was required for band and sports but didn't realize it was for choir, theater, shop, home economics and foreign language lessons as well. She told me at the end of my sons class that he had produce more finished pieces of art then any one of her 12 classes (which were half semester classes) had. That's a total of 45 days. My son's class was eight sessions.

Our local public (free) high school requires all seniors to pay a senior fee for prom (even if the kid doesn't go to prom), graduations fees (even if he doesn't graduate). They are called "senior fees" (total of over $3,000 if he goes on the senior trip) and do not include cap and gown, senior rings, letters, or yearbooks. My nephew is a Sophomore this year and had to pay $1,000 for his classes, not including text books (they have to buy their text books), flash drives, pencils, paper, backpack, school clothes. He has average classes if he had AP or Honors classes it would have been more. And even though he was bused to school last year he doesn't get bused this year. There is a lunch room fee. Yes, to use the lunch room (not to buy food there), and you have to pay it even if you choose to go off campus for lunch. There is a gym fee even if you don't have P.E. There is a parking fee for everyone 16 and older even if you don't own a car. There is a library fee even though there is NO LIBRARY at the school. I thought maybe the "library fee" was for e-books or for a kindle/nook the kids would use during the school year... nope.

So I used to think they would be missing out on things as they grew older, especially the High School years... but now I know we wouldn't even be able to afford all the pay to play fees and extra fees that my sil has to pay each year for her son.

:blink: Wow. Oh, wow. I knew that some of these things were happening out there, but wow. :svengo: Words fail to convey how shocked I am.

Where on earth is this? What do PS parents think? What do they do if they simply can NOT afford to pay all these fees? What do the students do? What do the teachers think about this set up? How can parents put up with this? How does the school system get away with it -- charging a fee for a prom, even if the student doesn't attend the prom? A lunch room fee? A library fee, although there is no library? This sounds like illegal activity to me, but the school board gets away with it? Where is this school district? I need to know, so I'm sure we'll never move there, and then I can sleep at night. :tongue_smilie:

I believe you, honestly I do, but I'm just flabbergasted by this! Wow.

I haven't read the other replies, but my short answer would be yes, I do feel like they are missing out on things. 

They would be missing out on different things if they went to school. 

In the end, when I find myself thinking about all the things I LOVED about school (and I LOVED school) and being a little melancholy about our kids not experiencing it, I remind myself that what I really, really feel we need to do is homeschool, and we had our reasons when they started, and they haven't changed.

Someday things may change and those reasons won't hold up any more.  But until then, I usually have to remind myself of how much I like our life better NOW (and all the options, choices, educationally that are available to us now!) than I did when both the boys were in school all day.  :)

yes, they are missing out on certain things. if they went to school, they would miss out on different things. everything has a price: you can only do THIS if you say no to THAT.

It's fairly easy for us, b/c my kids have no strong interest in the activities that are hardest to duplicate in a homeschool setting, like sports or marching band. I do empathize with people who have to factor that into the equation. Take sports as an example: around here, lots of kids can just choose playground sports instead (almost every local playground has a variety of team sports plus cheerleading), and we even have a couple of homeschool teams that play small private schools, etc. But those options are likely not enough for the kids with lots of talent and drive - they aren't going to have the level of competition they desire, and they aren't nearly as likely to lead to playing in college. If I parented a serious athlete, that would certainly play into the mix.

Most of the other stuff you mention can certainly be experienced by homeschooled kids. I know you said you live in a very rural area with 'not enough' h/s kids, but I find that it's really hard to know how many h/s kids are out there unless you really put yourself out there, banging the drums and tossing out ideas and starting activities. Driving an hour each way once a week sounds daunting, but really, it's what many people do - rural fold b/c of the distance, city folk b/c of the traffic! I know lots of people on the board plan multiple activities on the same day if the drive is long.

My thoughts? You have to figure out what is important to you and your kids, and plan accordingly. I didn't catch how old your kids are, but we stayed home a lot more when my kids were younger. Now that they're teens? Not so much, lol. It's not my personal preference, but yep, I did it all when I was a teen, and I'm sure my parents got just as tired of driving me around! I do think most teens have a driving need for their world to get bigger. If circumstances truly preclude this on an ongoing basis, I think it's important to come up with alternatives. Sleep-away camps, solo visits to a relative?

Nope. We've been able to participate in anything we've wanted to all the way through high school. And probably missed out on LESS -- because we were homeschooling, we had the flexibility, time, and energy to participate in a ton of extracurriculars that we would not have had the time or energy for if DC had been going to a school.

Some things we did with the local public school, but a lot were with organizations and groups outside of a public school, so even if you live in a location where the school district "rules" are more restrictive and exclude homeschoolers, there are still tons of things you CAN do, so no need to feel like you're missing out!  :) Often, after school clubs are available to homeschoolers even if participation in varsity sports or band/orchestra or theater participation is closed.

Sports

- join a local middle school or high school sports team

- YMCA sports teams or other Youth leagues

- Little League, PONY Softball, Pop Warner Football, AYSO

- club teams (soccer, swimming, tennis, diving, sailing, skating...)

- businesses that give lessons and encourage participation in competitions (gymnastics, fencing, martial arts, horseback riding...)

Theater / Dance

- community youth theater

- CYT (Christian Youth Theater)

- local theater group giving lessons, theater opportunities, or summer sessions for children/youth

- ballet and other dance classes from a studio -- usually have regular recitals and performances

Art/Music

- Parks & Rec classes

- private lessons / sessions from a local instructor -- usually have annual recitals / art showings

- join a local middle school or high school band, choir or orchestra

- volunteer for a church choir or band

- community youth chorus

- try out for Junior Strings, Community Youth Orchestra or other local youth band or orchestra group

- attend student matinee showings of university or community drama performances

Prom / Dances

- organize a homeschooler dance or prom

- attend with a cousin or friend at their high school's event

- take ballroom dance lessons and participate in dance nights hosted by the studio or in the community

Student Leadership

- organize teens in your homeschool group into a Student Council, which plans & executes the Youth events for the whole group each year, through monthly meetings and committees to divide up what needs to happen and do it!

- Youth & Government (model legislation program)

- TEEN Pact (government and the political process; Christian)

- Junior State of America (civics and politics)
- National Model United Nations or Model United Nations (mock U.N. session)
- Teen Court, Youth Court, Mock Trial (mock judicial)

Open to Any Student:

- scouting

- cheerleading group

- teen internships and special programs around the community (junior zoo docent, student newspaper columnist...)

- community classes in glass blowing, jewelry making, stained glass, filmmaking

- book club

- history recreation group

- local airsoft/paintball group

- orienteering group

- geography or spelling bee / 

- summer academic camps

- 4-H (also includes dog training; gun and archery marksmanship; as well as animal husbandry)
- DECA (high school business-career oriented)
- FIRST Robotics (high school robotic team competition)
- National Science Bowl (middle school/high school knowledge competition)

- President's Challenge (physical fitness program)
- Congressional Award (combo of personal development, exploration/expedition, physical fitness, and community service)

- Toastmasters
- National Forensics League (speech/debate)
- National Christian Forensics and Communication Association, Christian Communicators of America (speech/debate; Christian)

- Civil Air Patrol (teen U.S. Air Force auxiliary -- leadership, scholarships, etc.)
- U.S. Naval Sea Cadets (teen Navy prep -- leadership, scholarships, etc.)
- Junior ROTC (teen Air Force prep -- leadership, scholarships, etc.)
- U.S. Army Junior ROTC (teen Army prep -- leadership, scholarships, etc.)

And probably missed out on LESS -- because we were homeschooling, we had the flexibility, time, and energy to participate in a ton of extracurriculars that we would not have had the time or energy for if DC had been going to a school.

This is an excellent point! I schedule the vast majority of our outside stuff after school hours, and there is quite a contrast between the demeanor of my kids and that of PS kids when they arrive at activities. Those kids are visibly wiped out. Although my kids have also had a full day of schooling, it's comparably relaxed and stress-free They just plain seem to have more energy at the end of the day. 

Do you ever feel that your kids are missing out?  

Sure. But if they were in school, they'd be missing out on other things. Life is a trade-off. Homeschooling provides an overall better lifestyle and education for my kids, so I don't waste one second of worry on the few things that they might enjoy were they schooled.

They me be missing out on a few benefits of school, but they are also missing out on several negative aspects of school. Besides not everyone who goes to high school participates in those activities. I know I didn't.

Maybe you could start a group even if there are only a few kids in your area who homeschool. Or it might be worth it to drive that hour to have the kids with another group. I do think it is important to have kids in a homeschool group if they are asking for some social activities. We have several families in our homeschool group who drive from far away just so their kids can be part of the group. 

The things they might be missing out on are completely overshadowed by the things they're doing at home, so I really don't worry about it much. :-)

This.  Sometimes I wish they got more time with kids their ages, or at least got a little of the "experience" so they'd stop endlessly complaining about me waking them up "so early" at 9 am.  :lol:   But in actuality, the programs here are basically nonexistant, so they're getting a music program out of state that they could not be in if they attended ps (scheduling conflict), they get to focus on subjects they love for part of their work, they get to sleep in, we take impromptu field trips, and they get sick of other kids after a short amount of time (introverts). 

Of course they are missing out on things. They are also getting opportunities that kids that have to be at school all day miss. It is a two way street. We have done lots of things that ps friends say they wish they could do.

Here we have homeschool bands, orchestras and choirs. There is also a private school that allows homeschoolers to join their band and orchestra. You might look some more to find out if these options are available for you.

There are many many community options that are as good or better than those offered by public schools. Music, sports, theater, arts and more, there are possibilities everywhere. 

I think it is just a matter of focus. You can focus on what they are missing (whatever is at ps) or you can focus on what options they have. 

Well, from my perspective of coming from a small school they are not missing much at all. My dh went to a much larger schooler, about 10x larger, and they had many more opportunities. So, just because one goes to ps doesn't mean there is a chance to do anything you want. In school I was always disappointed with all the opportunities there were in more populated areas and I do hope that I'm able to offer them the chance to do various things that fit in with their interests. For the most part I believe we should be able to do most things on our own through various resources but I haven't ruled out trying to do some activities at ps- although I haven't explored this option yet as I haven't had the need or desire. I did see when we visited the city that they had a rock-climbing club for kids and I was sad that ds couldn't participate but we are missing that due to our location, it is too bad though as it would be the perfect sport for him!