Menu

So out of curiosity...

What is everyone's educational background? I've seen some are former teachers, some have science degrees, etc... I'm just curious as to what kind of mix we have going on here.

My degree is in Anthropology with an emphasis in history and religion. My masters is in Information Systems with an emphasis in security. I know quite the divergence there, right? Lol. Anthropology didn't pay the bills, I guess. Lol

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A.B. in psychology with a minor in human biology. Started out pre-med in college but dropped halfway through when I got serious with my now-DH and decided I didn't want to be stuck in grad school & residency until 30. Applied to M.S. in genetics counseling programs my senior year, got wait-listed, and for various reasons chose not to re-apply. Fast forward 15 years and I'm considering going back to school for neuropsychology.

I am just a dumb@ss. Never finished my full degree. I have a GED and an AAS in Accounting. I however have homeschooled 4 kids through highschool, and they have 2 AAS's, 1 BA Graphic Design, 1 BS Nutritional Sciences, one RD, One 1/2 of a MA, and many, many personal training certain and certifications that are trade specific. I am also a lifelong autodidact.

BSW (Social Work generalist) and MSW (with a concentration on clinical mental health studies). I have a post masters advanced clinical license and practiced psychotherapy for over ten years, in addition to other jobs in the mental health field. I also taught direct practice/mental health courses as an adjunct instructor of a local university off and on for ten years.

Dh has a BA in Business Management.

I have a BMus and a MFA, both in vocal performance. I was an opera singer, a piano and voice teacher, and a church worship director before I had kids and decided to stay home full time.

DH has a BFA in Environmental Design/Architecture and a MDiv. He is currently working on a Master of Theology. He was a professional mural artist and an architect before going to seminary and is on the verge of being called to pastor a church.

I have a BA in French and a BEd in secondary education. I taught high school for three years, then started my MEd in educational psychology, but dropped out when I became pregnant with my oldest. My husband has a BA & MA in history, as well as a JD. 

I have a BS (most certainly) in psychology that I have never "used".

DH has a BS in aerospace engineering.

I also have a BS in Psychology. I have to say, if you are going to have a degree in something that is never actually used in a "professional" manner, a psych degree is pretty useful! I also have a Masters in Education. My DH has a BA in Economics.

Wow! Some very smart peeps on this board. Now, I would be interested in seeing the stats on parents education levels as a whole in the homeschooling world, and especially, of those jumping ship on ps education in the recent years. I know of 4 families that pulled kids from our zoned elementary school and middle school just this year to homeschool.

BSE Music Education (vocal/choral) and 1 semester towards a Master's in Music.  

I want to complete my Masters, but probably not in music.  I see-saw between counseling-type future career and tutoring-type future career. I'm not sure where I'm going with that.  It's a good thing I've got a few more years of HSing left to figure it out.  Maybe I'll retire and become a HSing Guru. :lol:

dh has an MDIV.

btw - some of the most respected HS moms on here have a humble education (on paper).  Mommyfaithe and Ellie are two of my heroes. :hurray:  Truly, it does not take a lot of BS (ha!) letters behind a name to make a fantastic HSer.

I agree that no degree is necessary. Some of the smartest people I know graduated from the school of hard knocks... my dh, parents, and grandparents included. My grandparents only went to school through the 8th grade, and I still cannot beat them at Boggle. Lol. I just think it's fascinating how many highly educated peeps there are here, and how many are pursuing higher education.

Me = BA in General Fine Arts, Cinema Emphasis -- before children, I worked in video & film production, then had my own home desktop publishing business

DH = just retired from the fire dept., and will finish his BA in Creative Writing and minor in Philosophy this year; he plans to go on for a Master's of Fine Arts: Creative Writing.

I feel I have done enough research and practicums over our 12 years of homeschooling that I have earned an R.L.D. (Real Life Degree) in Teaching and Special Ed, with a minor in Patience.   :lol:

My degree was a Bachelor of Arts with Honors majoring in literature.

I'm now studying in a different area (Bachelor of Nursing).

Dh has a Bachelor of Computing. 

Neither of us has ever trained or worked as a teacher (unless you want to count the fact that I taught piano for a few years), but we have not found lack of teaching education to be a barrier.

BS Industrial Engineering (this is the easiest engineering degree!)

MA Education, once credentialed in secondary math, English, and computer concepts

I used both degrees--taught math for 4 years in CA, moved to OR and worked in industry for 3 years, some in engineering.

Dh has a BS and MS in electrical engineering (one of the hardest engineering degrees!), plus some Masters in Business that is not an MBA.

BS in nursing, worked in critical care - ICU, ER and had many adventures before coming home full time. Now the boo boos aren't as dramatic!

DH is a rocket scientist (dork) we watch him on TV in Mission Control and all yell,"That's Daddy!" when we hear him on the com. I mock him freely when he uses terms from work at home. As in, say "Yes" not "Copy that"

Before all this we ran a scuba diving business while he was a uni professor.

Michele

Another high school grad here. Started college for engineering, decided I liked computers better, then got a job that taught me more than college ever would. Spent the next 20-some years working my way up from tape monkey to system administrator, programmer, project manager, etc. etc. and finally running a successful (i.e. profitable enough to pay the bills and keep us in toys year after year) business or two with my husband (another high school grad... and vo-tech at that).

I sometimes regret missing out on the social network & breadth of education that comes with earning a degree, but in the good old days in my field, what I learned on my own was enough to get me choice jobs at Bell Labs (& later AT&T), a Wall Street brokerage house, and a large university, among others.

I guess I am going to speak up just so there are a few more of us posting!

I am a high school graduate only, and so is my hubby.  I have no college whatsoever, he has 2 or 3 business courses from a community college years ago.  I have no plans for a degree, nor does he.

I can't believe that the overwhelming majority of homeschooling families have parents with degrees, I wonder if folks feel a little intimidated to post if they do not have a degree...especially in the midst of real rocket scientists! HAHA!

I have absolutely no qualms about teaching all the way through high school, despite my lack of a degree.  Most folks who meet me and get to know me mistakenly assume I have a degree (and most often a Masters, interestingly enough) and I have surprised more than one person when I responded with laughter that I merely had a high school diploma.  I am one of those who long prior to considering homeschooling never saw learning as having to take place in a classroom, and actually saw it as being a hindrance at times.  Hmmm...probably should have guessed we might have ended up homeschooling.

Some of our kids might attend college, some likely won't.  We don't view it as an "end all, be all" proposition around our home, and see many possible paths to success.  

I have a geology-chemistry BA from a liberal arts college and an MS in geology. I taught intro geology at a couple colleges for a while, but no actual study in education. I don't find that a hindrance in our homeschool.

DH has 3/4 of a BS in chemistry and is three credits short of a technical/vocational degree in forestry. Guess how many unfinished projects we have around this house. ;)

BA in linguistics, with an emphasis in pre-1500s European languages and history.  So useful!  The job offers are just rolling in....   :closedeyes:

DH has a degree in computer forensics.  His degree might pay the bills, but is largely irrelevant to homeschooling since he doesn't participate in anything other than "fun" things.

Another with just a high school diploma.  :)

I went to two years of undergrad...ran out of money and decided God was not leading me to get loans (which I'm VERY grateful for)...ended up with a well paying (for a non-college degreed person!) job while trying to save to finish...my husband and I decided we were tired of long distance and waiting to get married. (It was long distance even when I was in school because he was in grad school in FL and I was in undergrad in OH.  We met at home in VA. :)) So, we took advantage of the fact that I wasn't in school and we went ahead and got married.  I continued to work in the field I fell into for 8 years until I had children.  I never went back to college.  So, I went to 2 years of undergrad and came out with my MRS degree.  :lol:

I do sort of wish I finished or at least an associates to show for my 2 years, but I honestly don't care that much.

My husband has his masters in physical therapy. 

I don't really have any qualms about teaching my children despite not having a college degree.  I fully intend to teach them all the way through highschool and I intend to give them a good education.  :D