Menu

What do you call a car without an automatic transmission?

DawnM

Cars  

323 members have voted

1. 1. What do you call a car that is not an automatic transmission?

• Standard
    • Stick (or stick shift)
    • Straight Drive
    • Manual
    • Other

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Growing up we called it a manual car, but when I moved to the States I always heard stick or stick shift. (West Coast)

I had never heard the term Straight Drive until I moved to the South. My friends laughed when I asked what a Straight Drive was.

Dawn

I actually have referred to it as Standard, Manual and Stick.  When we were in CA, we learned to drive a stick.  Terminology for purchasing, though was always standard...the cars we are looking at in Italy refer to manual transmissions.

In Britain it's mostly just 'a car'.  Automatics are fairly rare.  If a distinction needs to be made, I think they are usually called 'manual'.

We have separate driving licences for the two kinds of car: if you pass your test driving a manual, then you are covered for automatic, but not vice versa.

L

I voted standard, but I say manual pretty often, too.  DH's car is a standard and I love it! I didn't learn to drive one until we got married, and I'll be sad when he replaces it.  He'll likely place it with an automatic since he does more driving in traffic now and it's annoying. 

That was true in Kenya as well. All of our cars were manual transmission cars.

In Britain it's mostly just 'a car'.  Automatics are fairly rare.  If a distinction needs to be made, I think they are usually called 'manual'.

We have separate driving licences for the two kinds of car: if you pass your test driving a manual, then you are covered for automatic, but not vice versa.

L

Well, it was odd because I was in a group with all Southern women and they all knew what it was and I didn't. They all chuckled and told me it was a Southern term.

So, this is just my experience, although I did google and someone else said it was Southern as well. It could be regional Southern

I've lived in the South my entire life and I've never heard the term straight drive. Seems like I've heard the other 3 pretty equally though.

You completely lost me.

Then of course your manual is either "on the floor" or "on the tree" (steering column).

As in old holden utes being "three on the tree" (from memory) or others being "four on the floor".

Then of course your manual is either "on the floor" or "on the tree" (steering column).

As in old holden utes being "three on the tree" (from memory) or others being "four on the floor".

Hey, that's too cool. I've heard the term 'four on the floor' and now I understand exactly what it means. I haven't seen many 'on the tree' shifting systems, though. I wonder if it's easier, harder or the same to blow out the clutch with this?

You completely lost me.

From Wiki...red is mine..."

Alternative positions
220px-Column_shift.JPG
magnify-clip.png
Column shifter in a Ford Crown Victoria.   Also known as "On the Tree"  and if an old three geared car, this would be Three-on-the-tree.

Gear sticks are most commonly found between the front seats of the vehicle, either on the center console (sometimes even quite far up on the dashboard), the transmission tunnel, or directly on the floor. Some vehicles have a column shift where the lever is mounted on the steering column—this arrangement was once almost standard practice in the United States until relatively recently, which had the added benefit of allowing for a full width bench-type front seat (though some models with bucket seating as an option include it). It has since fallen out of favor, although it can still be found widely on US-market pick-up trucks, vans, emergency vehicles..."

If the stick change is on the floor, and a four geared car, then this would be Four-on-the-floor.

Makes perfect sense. Sort of. In an Australian way.

Clear as  mud?

On a similar line to this topic, I was listening to an old Bill Cosby stand-up comedy CD where he talks about driving in San Francisco with a manual transmission. It's hilarious! I can relate, as there was this one stop sign at the top of a big hill in my city growing up. I HATED that stop sign!!! :coolgleamA:

Thank you.

I don't think I have ever seen one "on the tree" so I had no reference point.

Dawn

From Wiki...red is mine..."

Alternative positions

220px-Column_shift.JPG

magnify-clip.png

Column shifter in a Ford Crown Victoria.   Also known as "On the Tree"  and if an old three geared car, this would be Three-on-the-tree.

Gear sticks are most commonly found between the front seats of the vehicle, either on the center console (sometimes even quite far up on the dashboard), the transmission tunnel, or directly on the floor. Some vehicles have a column shift where the lever is mounted on the steering column—this arrangement was once almost standard practice in the United States until relatively recently, which had the added benefit of allowing for a full width bench-type front seat (though some models with bucket seating as an option include it). It has since fallen out of favor, although it can still be found widely on US-market pick-up trucks, vans, emergency vehicles..."

If the stick change is on the floor, and a four geared car, then this would be Four-on-the-floor.

Makes perfect sense. Sort of. In an Australian way.

Clear as  mud?

Growing up we called it a manual car, but when I moved to the States I always heard stick or stick shift. (West Coast)

I had never heard the term Straight Drive until I moved to the South. My friends laughed when I asked what a Straight Drive was.

Dawn

:confused:  Straight Drive? I have spent my entire lif in the deep South and have never heard this. Could it be sub-regional? The strangest thing I ever heard of was "three on a tree" for old trucks with the gear shift on the steering wheel column and only three gears.

I usually use the term "stick" but will use the term "manual" when speaking to car salesmen/repair shops. I don't know why I do that, but I do lots of weird things! :lol:

I've lived in the South my entire life and I've never heard the term straight drive. Seems like I've heard the other 3 pretty equally though.

Me, too, except for the Straight Drive term.

Well, it was odd because I was in a group with all Southern women and they all knew what it was and I didn't. They all chuckled and told me it was a Southern term.

So, this is just my experience, although I did google and someone else said it was Southern as well. It could be regional Southern

I posted before reading other responses, so I missed this, but yes, I wonder if it's a 'regional southern' thing.

Ha! And all these years I thought it referred only to trucks! Thanks for that wiki link!

Four on the Floor!

You brought back a memory. There used to be a sketch comedy team with that name on tv here. They weren't around for ling but they paved the way for The Kids in the Hall, a more famous Canuck comedy team and you might still here the odd Canadian singing the FotF classic, Boot to the Head.

I grew up hearing this saying too.

We call it a manual, although I'm pretty familiar with the term standard as well and have used it myself now and then. I always though the term stick shift was an eastern thing as the only time I've heard that is from people who were from the east. Never heard straight drive before.

You didn't give an option for more than one.  we call it either a stick when being casual, or a manual. 

I learned to drive on one, and all the kids learned to drive on one.  the boys complained the most.   they're all glad they know how to drive them - and the only car we have left that is a manual is the kid-car.

On a similar line to this topic, I was listening to an old Bill Cosby stand-up comedy CD where he talks about driving in San Francisco with a manual transmission. It's hilarious! I can relate, as there was this one stop sign at the top of a big hill in my city growing up. I HATED that stop sign!!! :coolgleamA:

I hated driving west - east in downtown seattle with a stick.   hated it. foot on the clutch, other foot on the gas, car in gear, hand on the parking brake . . . . otherwise, I like driving a stick.  you have more control.