Menu

It's NOW official...we are packing for Naples, Italy!!! (updated)

LisaKinVA

They want dh there before Labor Day! This just got very real! Official word has to come from HR, and we still have to tell our folks when DH gets back from camp. My head is spinning... pray we can rent our home quickly! If we need to, we can move back in with my folks...so that we can vacate our property faster.

Anyone good at sorting and cleaning out...HELP.

Congratulations!!!! You are going to have so much fun! Naples is wacky and wonderful. It's too bad we're leaving Germany in August, or I'd come down and visit you. If you can, start learning a little Italian now. Important things are greetings, basic questions, directions (left, right, straight, etc), and numbers. Numbers are important! Oh, and if you can, get a GPS with European maps. If you can't get one in the States (or if you have one in your car, updated with European maps), they have inexpensive ones at the PX. I would never find my way around if it weren't for my GPS.

I'm so excited for you guys!

I have all of these questions...like what food in my pantry can I take? I'm pretty sure we can't take the turtle. Based upon the weather, it looks like we can eliminate most of our winter clothes (we don't need 2 complete wardrobes when the average winter low is in the 40's...sweaters & a good jacket should do)...cleaning supplies? Can I bring those? My stash of soaps & toothpaste? I feel like such a ninny right now!

And I may need to be ready for movers in FOUR weeks...8 seemed doable, FOUR?!?

I need to get offline and get to the basement and get moving...literally!

I have all of these questions...like what food in my pantry can I take? I'm pretty sure we can't take the turtle. Based upon the weather, it looks like we can eliminate most of our winter clothes (we don't need 2 complete wardrobes when the average winter low is in the 40's...sweaters & a good jacket should do)...cleaning supplies? Can I bring those? My stash of soaps & toothpaste? I feel like such a ninny right now!

I need to get offline and get to the basement and get moving...literally!

What might the terms of your contract be? Do you have an allowance for moving expenses or is everything covered?

L

Pantry-anything that is not opened

Turtle-no

Clothes-it actually does get quite chilly there, so pack some winter clothes and especially jackets of different weights

Cleaning supplies-no

Soaps and toothpaste-yes, as long as they aren't open

Candles-no

Garage items like oil, car cleaning stuff, etc-no

Will they store stuff for you? The military will if we get stationed overseas, so check on that. Don't bring your washer and dryer. They will not work. Store your alarm clocks, as they won't work either. Most of your appliances will need to run on transformers (available here), so you might want to leave some of those too, and just buy cheap versions to use while you're here (blow dryer, vacuum, coffee pot, microwave, toaster). Housing in Europe is SMALL, so think about that when you send your furniture. If you have a lot of big stuff, you may want to store it too, as you may not have room for it. Of course, because I said this, you'll end up with a humongous house and it will be empty. ;)

ETA: You can totally do it in 4 weeks. It's going to be tight, but you can.

Pantry-anything that is not opened

Turtle-no

Clothes-it actually does get quite chilly there, so pack some winter clothes and especially jackets of different weights

Cleaning supplies-no

Soaps and toothpaste-yes, as long as they aren't open

Candles-no

Garage items like oil, car cleaning stuff, etc-no

Will they store stuff for you? The military will if we get stationed overseas, so check on that. Don't bring your washer and dryer. They will not work. Store your alarm clocks, as they won't work either. Most of your appliances will need to run on transformers (available here), so you might want to leave some of those too, and just buy cheap versions to use while you're here (blow dryer, vacuum, coffee pot, microwave, toaster). Housing in Europe is SMALL, so think about that when you send your furniture. If you have a lot of big stuff, you may want to store it too, as you may not have room for it. Of course, because I said this, you'll end up with a humongous house and it will be empty. ;)

ETA: You can totally do it in 4 weeks. It's going to be tight, but you can.

The housing we're looking at is fairly ample (not planning on squeezing our family into a beach-view...too far from all of the kids' activities for me), but most of our furniture will not be coming. Not bringing any large appliances, but will probably bring some of the kitchen ones. I figured we'd bring some long sleeves & jeans, but we don't need quite as much. Getting the kids uniforms from Land's End...and if we go out during the day as a family, we'll all wear those...must simplify....no closets ;) ...must stock up on underwear...we have jackets with the zip-out liners, so they can go from lighter-weight to heavy weight...also hoodies...our phones are our alarm clocks (they will work over there...just have to get the new sim card). CRAZY. I'm going to go CRAZY.

Sounds like you've got a good plan. Our friends, who were in Germany with us the last time (on the same street), ended up back here and couldn't get on post housing, so they went off post. Because they were certain they would be in housing, which is small, or a small house, they left most of their furniture in storage and then ended up with a 3000 sqft house. It looked empty! They did finally get housing on post (they were happy to move on post as they were the only Americans and very few people had kids in their area), and it is 1800 sqft, so it's not quite as empty.

I'm printing out signs for sorting right now...One box at a time...sort into other boxes...throw stuff away...then, once we see what we have, sort those things into keep/sell/give away (we had most of our stuff in storage for a decade, then a fast move with things just thrown, mixed in with kids who opened said boxes and put stuff *EVERYWHERE* -- it's a whole process).

I'm hoping the kids and I can get the kids toys at least through the initial sort this week, and that I can start sorting through old school stuff this week, too. Correction, I *MUST* sort through this all this week! At least the upstairs will be much easier...just books & clothes for the most part. I need to get that done by the end of July...so we can be ready for the big kids' sale (I'm hoping to make close to $1,000 this time, and with the hand-me-downs, I shouldn't have any issues getting there...and put that towards school uniforms & shoes for the kids, and a new futon mattress.

My house still looks pretty empty...3200 square feet, but we came from living in 1000 for 10 years, so we don't have a lot. The MB furniture is Sauder (12 years old, falling apart), the boys' room is freecycle (also Sauder-type, falling apart), Most of our bookshelves are $25 from Target...they won't handle the move. Freecycle is going to LOVE me in a few weeks!

We're taking all of the beds (2 queens, 2 twin, 1 King), the futon, the couch & chair, 3 bookcases (our nicest ones), and 2 nightstands. Planning on picking up some flat-packed cubbies (bathroom storage, bedroom/toy storage for the little girls, maybe some really inexpensive armories...all flat-packed, cheap...that we won't worry about bringing home). We'll leave all of the cleaning supplies for the renters...there is so much to do! Keep encouraging me :D

I still have to get out of a commitment for September, but my head isn't in the right spot to type it up yet. We have a swim meet tonight...and there is only so much brain power working (that's not overwhelmed with Italy...)

We just moved from NC to Hawaii, and they wouldn't pack any food, even unopened dry goods or spices. They never allow cleaning supplies. Anything liquid is usually a no-go, but it partly depends upon the moving company.

You'll be fine with 4 weeks; I only had two!

The housing we're looking at is fairly ample (not planning on squeezing our family into a beach-view...too far from all of the kids' activities for me), but most of our furniture will not be coming. Not bringing any large appliances, but will probably bring some of the kitchen ones.

Anything with a heating element (toaster, iron, hair dryer, etc) or keeps time (like a clock) isn't going to work correctly because the cycles (frequency) are different (which is different than what a converter changes). You can find usually find things like this cheaply at the American thrift stores on post. I'm assuming your dh (at least) will have access to post? I actually called KitchenAid about my mixer and they said even with a step-up converter that it would slow the unit down and probably burn out the motor. They also said it would void the warranty. So, I wouldn't bring any appliances at all. At the very least, you would need a giant transformer and even then most of them won't work correctly. This is different for people who would be living in housing. But, living off-post like you will be? I wouldn't bother.

I figured we'd bring some long sleeves & jeans, but we don't need quite as much. Getting the kids uniforms from Land's End...and if we go out during the day as a family, we'll all wear those...must simplify....no closets ;)

You should have space in bedrooms for wardrobes. You can usually find these at a fairly inexpensive price. There is an IKEA in Naples, by the way. :)

Wow, how exciting! I have only been to northern Italy, but Napoli is just as lovely as the rest of the country. I hope you get to travel all over and spend time exploring all the lovely chapels, museums, etc... Napoli has a fairly good soccer team, so I hope you get to experience Italian futbol culture!

Good luck with your move; the next few weeks will be extremely busy!

We just moved from NC to Hawaii, and they wouldn't pack any food, even unopened dry goods or spices. They never allow cleaning supplies. Anything liquid is usually a no-go, but it partly depends upon the moving company.

You'll be fine with 4 weeks; I only had two!

Anything with a heating element (toaster, iron, hair dryer, etc) or keeps time (like a clock) isn't going to work correctly because the cycles (frequency) are different (which is different than what a converter changes). You can find usually find things like this cheaply at the American thrift stores on post. I'm assuming your dh (at least) will have access to post? I actually called KitchenAid about my mixer and they said even with a step-up converter that it would slow the unit down and probably burn out the motor. They also said it would void the warranty. So, I wouldn't bring any appliances at all. At the very least, you would need a giant transformer and even then most of them won't work correctly. This is different for people who would be living in housing. But, living off-post like you will be? I wouldn't bother.

You should have space in bedrooms for wardrobes. You can usually find these at a fairly inexpensive price. There is an IKEA in Naples, by the way. :)

Well...hopefully I can get a crock pot (or two) over there, a griddle, an iron and a toaster...I'll be lost without them ;) My most used appliances, though, are my grain mill, my Electrolux mixer and my Vitamix. My mixer is actually a European model...I'm hoping there is a plug to change it out.

Keep praying we rent OUR house out...must get it on the market next week...OUCH!

take the winter gear. really. northern italy has snow, and mountains.... and switzerland is unbelievably close.

you will want to go.

we have always bought furniture from folks posting out once we get to wherever we're going..... but that's because we have an unlimited storage allotment, and a limited overseas weight....

that said, i did bring a ton of furniture home from england.....

oh, it will be sooooo amazing!!!

ann

..I'll be lost without them wink.gif My most used appliances, though, are my grain mill, my Electrolux mixer and my Vitamix. My mixer is actually a European model...I'm hoping there is a plug to change it out.

Have a look on your appliances to see if they show 110/220v or 110-220V printed on them anywhere. If so, then they should work in Europe. If not, then changing the plug/using a plug adapter won't work: the higher voltage will just burn out the appliance. You will need a voltage converter, which is a bigger deal. I'd search on Amazon Italy for the brand that you have and see whether there is a local version rather than messing with converters, especially as you are planning on staying for some years.

L

so as a homeschooling aside, the Cambridge Latin Course is centred around Caecilius, who lived in pompeii..... which will now be a day trip for you! i remember being amazed as a teen when i actually stood in his home, and visited the baths he visited, etc, etc.... and dds were amazed two years ago when they stood there, too!

after moving every year or two years forever, i have now lived in the same place for 16 yrs..... and reading your posts, i have just realized how much waunderlust is part of my soul.

re sorting/packing.... "done" is much better than "perfect". i actually scheduled in deadlines, and worked to meet them.... even four weeks feels longer than it really is.

good luck!

ann

I'm still a bit panicked....mostly about things I don't have answers to, and the emotional repercussions of family members. My mom is really not taking this well (and the late-night text she sent me didn't help!!). I can't really DO anything ...other than ask questions and hope for answers (and the sort & purge). I can't post this on FB yet...as we don't have anything official in-hand (not that there is a lot of doubt, though...future boss calling current boss to tell him means they are pretty confident about the position).

Without my mom to talk to...I don't have anyone other than you all I can really say these things too (husband is out of town...)

Lisa, stay strong! This is the opportunity of a life time and it will be okay. Don't let your family get you down. We made a decision we lived to regret to NOT take a four year position in Thailand or the two year position in India because of MIL. I won't regale you with the details except to say that we really wish we had not let her pressure us into staying.

The family will come around and adjust. If your income will be high enough, maybe you can help with plane tickets once or twice during those five years. It could possibly be framed as an amazing opportunity for them to afford traveling that they never would have had the chance to do otherwise. DD's husband is hoping to get a 2-4 yr. assignment in Japan at some point, and while I sure would miss them, on the other hand, you can bet that the pennies would be going into the piggybank so we could go and visit them. Hopefully the relatives will come around and feel the same way, getting behind you and cheering through the misty eyes.

I remember limbo for us for a cross country move years ago. We knew for four months and believe me, my parents needed some time to become accustomed to the fact that we were going to be 3000 miles away. But, due to the nature of the assignment and dh not being allowed to publicly announce the move, they only got four weeks heads up...I was quietly trying to prepare and it was hard to do that and still keep it under wraps. I get it, others here do to. So, keep posting, venting, expressing your excitements and fears. The hive will help you through!!!!

Plus, we are all so excited for you and waiting to live vicariously through your posts.

Faith

Thank you, Faith...it's hard when you just feel like crying. The past 6 years have been really difficult on my mom, because she has been away from all of us for so long dealing with my grandmother's illness, death, and now the estate. She is FINALLY coming home to STAY, and it looks like we're going. I know she's upset over that (living with my dad is no picnic). I did mention to my dad about them being able to come visit and tour Europe (something they've always wanted to do...), but in her mind you just don't move away from family (of course, her oldest son moved to TX for years...then to Pittsburgh...now is a couple hours south, youngest son lives with them, and middle son is in GA...so it's not like this concept is new...but in many ways, I'm her closest friend...and she is very attached to my children having lived with most of them for almost their entire lives, save for the time she's been in GA, and the past 18 months we've been living here...it's a lot for them to take in...I know).

I know this will impact the family in some major ways -- but it won't change my relationship at. all. with my brothers or my SIL, or my IL's -- I'm the odd duck in my family as it is. Gosh, I hate thinking about all of this...just makes me all teary eyed...don't need to feel like this.

Financially, this could be a saving grace. Assuming we are able to rent our house, we would have nearly $1500 extra a month DESPITE the furlough cutting our income by 25% to pay down cc'd, cover school expenses, save for a car (or make a modest payment). Most people I've talked to about that seem to think we should have zero issues renting our house for what we'd like (especially with the low, low, low energy costs to run this house!), Moreover, housing costs are increasing 8-12% a year here right now (average time on the market is about 30 days)...we can ride that wave and sell the house when we return, and get something with a floor plan more amenable to retirement years (main floor master).

I hear ya, Lisa! Yes, there is going to be a long period of adjustment for your folks, but be liberal with your useage of SKYPE. We have friends whose eldest and husband live in Egypt two years at a time, and they do very well with skype. When their grandson, born overseas, came home this year, he was very comfortable with grandma and grandpa because he'd spent so much time interacting with them that way...grandma taught him his ABC song, Row Row Row Your Boat, counting to 10, you name it. So, your older kids can help make grandma feel like she is a part of their lives by routinely checking in, talking about the daily stuff, showing off scholwork, art projects, giving them a virtual tour of the new place, etc. It is obviously not the same as physically being together, but it is a great tool for helping relationships remain close.

On a greater philosophical note, I think this is a path that is being forged for the next generation. We've embarked on an international, global, multicultural economy on planet earth and more and more future workers will at one time or another spend time working far from "home". Dh may yet end up taking us overseas; he's been to Germany twice two weeks at a time for business and the next time is three weeks. When they hit a month, they are required by company policy to send the whole family for that time if we want to go. India, Bangladesh, Australia, France, Brazil, and China are all possibilities and he just works in IT and not for a DoD contractor. DD's husband writes codes for the animation for training videos for both DoD contractors and game companies...Japan is a definite possibility. Our eldest boy has already been offered a college internship with a company that routinely sends US employees overseas for periods of a few months to a few years at a time. Middle ds is looking at Temperate Rainforest Conservation and endangered species research...definitely a non USA based job unless he lands some assignment in eastern Washington state...British Columbia, New Zealand, or Australia are more likely.

Dd would eventually like to work in developing nations as they pursue installing EMS services and of course I'm not certain how that will work with her ds's job if he gets sent to Japan.

I hate to say it, but I think the days of kids going to college close to home, getting jobs in their home state, staying fairly close to mom and dad, are very much over as the employment market is not amenable to this anymore and particularly in states that are not doing well financially.

It's an exciting time and yet also nerve wrecking too! I know that in the face of that, the internet, cell phones, skype, these things will become the elder generation's lifeline to their adult children and more so than now. Thank goodness for digital cameras and the ease of sending pics!!!

Faith

Congratulations! Its going to be an incredible experience for all of you.

I just moved 2000 miles away from my family. It took them several weeks to get over the initial shock but they are now all happy for me and my mother has already booked plane tickets to come and visit.

That is so exciting! What a great opportunity!! I hope leaving your family doesn't get you down. Our daughter and husband live in Central America, but they feel so close. We Skype often, and send quick little emails almost daily. We use a credit card that gives air mileage for every dollar we spend, so we charge everything on it, even college tuition when we can. (We pay it all off monthly.) We have earned many international tickets that way. :)

That is so exciting! What a great opportunity!! I hope leaving your family doesn't get you down. Our daughter and husband live in Central America, but they feel so close. We Skype often, and send quick little emails almost daily. We use a credit card that gives air mileage for every dollar we spend, so we charge everything on it, even college tuition when we can. (We pay it all off monthly.) We have earned many international tickets that way. :)

Maybe you could talk to my mom ;) I've started making contacts over there...homeschooling families, a swim team mom/coach and even the wife of dh's new boss (totally an accident!). I've learned that there are a number of differences between DoD civilian v. active duty (access to health care being one of them)...so when dh gets back, I need to schedule dental and eye appointments. Today, I need to call the ped to set up a shot schedule for my 4yo ...and anyone else who may need shots before we go. I need to get my "stuff" done, too (including a long-overdue appt. with the ortho for a proper retainer I can eat with).

I'm also going to research what it might cost to finish up my dental implants overseas...we're closer to India, and I've heard I can get it all finished for a lot less than $11k (that's just for the crowns...the surgery part is already done).

I also asked for opinions as to where we should live...and what we needed (to be close to the SS for school access, etc.). They really are all over down there (I half wonder if anyone actually read my list of "must haves.")