Menu

OK Tornado... 7 children killed at the elementary school

Reflections

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a lot of conflicting reports atm. This is a good local station, I would recommend it over some others

http://www.news9.com...-control-center

Things are very chaotic around there. Some are saying 7 killed and 20-30 missing but it is still very hard to determine what is really going on.

It is just terrible :( I went to that elementary school. :( I can't believe it.

There are a lot of conflicting reports atm. This is a good local station, I would recommend it over some others

http://www.news9.com...-control-center

Things are very chaotic around there. Some are saying 7 killed and 20-30 missing but it is still very hard to determine what is really going on.

It is just terrible :( I went to that elementary school. :( I can't believe it.

Oh wow! It's tragic any way you look at it, but I can only imagine it's completely surreal when it affects you that closely. I hope you and yours are safe.

Jean in Newcastle is your family okay??? Did it all go north of you? All other WTM Okies okay?

We are in northern OK and the sky was clear and sunny as we watched the live footage of the funnel forming. It was very surreal, and just so devastating. As of an hour ago, there were still several children who survived the school being hit, but hadn't been claimed by parents/family. Cell phones are not working and many of the roads were blocked. The local news was interviewing parents who had to walk/run on foot for 3 or 4 miles to a meeting area to see if their child was there. Lots of prayers needed for these families!

Jean in Newcastle is your family okay??? Did it all go north of you? All other WTM Okies okay?

We are in northern OK and the sky was clear and sunny as we watched the live footage of the funnel forming. It was very surreal, and just so devastating. As of an hour ago, there were still several children who survived the school being hit, but hadn't been claimed by parents/family. Cell phones are not working and many of the roads were blocked. The local news was interviewing parents who had to walk/run on foot for 3 or 4 miles to a meeting area to see if their child was there. Lots of prayers needed for these families!

I hope she can update soon and let us know she is ok. :(

I didn't know she was from that Newcastle. I know we have some other posters from the area too. We are in Edmond, and had a scare yesterday. My heart is broken and I wish I could do something to help. It feels so weird to be so close and be unable to do anything.

fyi - 7 children were found in the school deceased and there are still some children unaccounted for, but they keep adding places where children are waiting for parents. The number of missing students drops every hour or so, but no one has an exact number right now. I sure hope they find all those missing alive.

JeninOK - I feel the same way. Moments like these I wish I could drop my kids off somewhere and go help.

1 hour before the tornado hit Moore the cloud did NOT exist! It took 15 minutes for the cloud to form and rotation to begin... Moore had 45 minutes notice to prepare-- the OKC area has the most advanced tornado warning system in the world and it saved many many lives yesterday and today.

1 hour before the tornado hit Moore the cloud did NOT exist! It took 15 minutes for the cloud to form and rotation to begin... Moore had 45 minutes notice to prepare-- the OKC area has the most advanced tornado warning system in the world and it saved many many lives yesterday and today.

I wish a good system for predicting tornadoes could be invented. Tornadoes are so scary because they just appear. I know many are working on a warning system. I hope they succeed faster rather than slower.

We absolutely have warning, they have been telling us for days to be aware, and people do pay attention, the minute these storms begin to build they break in, take over the air and give us non stop information, There are people in what are basically tanks on the ground, helicopters in the air, and the best most advanced radar technology in the world.

These storms do come on hard and fast, but we really truly do have the best weather people in the world, and as much warning as possible.

That's true, the best meteorologists in the world work in OK and for a very good reason. They don't even have sirens where I live now, it's weird.

We all grew up crouching in the hallways covering our heads, I think those days are over. Multiple schools in Moore have been completely destroyed, and not just in this storm. Some of the Moore schools have safe rooms, I hope more are installed after today.

I'm not saying there aren't good scientists and good machines/computers. I'm saying I can't wait for them to be improved.

I'm thinking that if elementary schools were hit....how much warning did they have? What system to they have for getting children to safety? Do they have underground bunkers at schools?

It's tragic and the search for improvement is ongoing.

They didn't have underground shelters which is ridiculous IMO, They had about 30 minutes warning, which was the entire life of the storm, and got them to the safest place possible, but there should have been an underground area. The problem is that no matter how well they understand the atmosphere and know where it might fire up, the storms wibble wobble and go wherever the hell they want. The speed and intensity of these storms are just unbelievable.

They didn't have underground shelters which is ridiculous IMO, They had about 30 minutes warning, which was the entire life of the storm, and got them to the safest place possible, but there should have been an underground area. The problem is that no matter how well they understand the atmosphere and know where it might fire up, the storms wibble wobble and go wherever the hell they want. The speed and intensity of these storms are just unbelievable.

You can't easily build underground shelters in Oklahoma. Very few homes have basements. The soil is too moist and the water table is too high. It is much more common to find safe rooms, which are steel reinforced concrete rooms. Some schools in Moore have entire hallways which are saferooms. Kelley Elementary is one school that has a safe room for a hallway. It is a newer school, it was leveled to the concrete slab in the May 3 1999 tornado.

I grew up in Edmond, OK. The newer schools have "safe" classrooms, but the older schools don't. We spent half the Spring in duck and cover position in the hallways in the 70's and 80's. These F4-F5 tornados are a fairly new phenomena from my understanding. Homes/schools rarely have basements because the earth is clay. They fill with water. It's just so heartbreaking. There was no way to get out of Moore with that many children with only 40 minutes notice. There is a reason Gary England is featured in the movie Twister. The best of the best meterologists are in OKC. My prayers are with the people of OK today.

You can't easily build underground shelters in Oklahoma. Very few homes have basements. The soil is too moist and the water table is too high. It is much more common to find safe rooms, which are steel reinforced concrete rooms. Some schools in Moore have entire hallways which are saferooms.

Yes, I should have been more clear, reinforced safe rooms are also a good option.

I'm not saying there aren't good scientists and good machines/computers. I'm saying I can't wait for them to be improved.

I'm thinking that if elementary schools were hit....how much warning did they have? What system to they have for getting children to safety? Do they have underground bunkers at schools?

It's tragic and the search for improvement is ongoing.

Tornado warning was called at 2:40, it was in Moore by 3:15. They had about half an hour,

You can't have underground shelters in that part of Oklahoma because the soil is clay and swells and contracts based on water content in the soil. They did the best they could.

Who would have thought that another tornado of this magnitude would hit the exact same town twice in a little over a decade?

Yes, I should have been more clear, reinforced safe rooms are also a good option.

You can't build a safe room to withstand 200-300 mile an hour winds which is what Moore has experienced twice now. It will just be flattened.

There have been other large F3 and F4 tornadoes in nearly the same area since the one in 1999, they have take slightly less horrific paths, but the fact is, they rip through here time and time again.

There are maps and information on this page from a meteorologist. http://www.okctalk.com/current-events-open-topic/33846-oklahoma-severe-weather-discussion-may-2013-a-26.html

There have been other large F3 and F4 tornadoes in nearly the same area since the one in 1999, they have take slightly less horrific paths, but the fact is, they rip through here time and time again.

There are maps and information on this page from a meteorologist. http://www.okctalk.c...-2013-a-26.html

They did not do that when I was younger though. I grew up in that area and we never saw anything like that until 1999.

I imagine a lot more schools will have reinforced rooms by next spring.

I wonder if there is some kind of atmospheric condition or jet stream path that brings these super tornadoes to Moore.

I mean, seriously, what are the odds that two F5 tornadoes would hit the same town? I would probably get out of Moore after today if I could. It's just so scary and sad. :crying: