Menu

OK Tornado... 7 children killed at the elementary school

Reflections

None of the OKC area public schools had pools when I was in school. Kids these days get all the neat stuff :p

What year did you graduate? Back when Moore High only had 11th and 12th grades, I attended for band in 10th starting in 1987 and the pool had been there a long time then. I graduated in 1990.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reading 3-6K for a small underground shelter that would go in your yard or garage. There are a lot of companies that seem to offer them. Maybe more people will install them now. I guess some people did after the '99 and '03 tornadoes.

When we bought our house a few years ago we had just gone through the April 2011 storms and knew our new house (in OK) was going to have to have a shelter. I was shocked that out of the many, many homes we looked at, only 1 had a storm shelter. We had one put in in the price range you mentioned. After much research we decided to go with an underground shelter in our garage. This seemed to be our best option, it's under the ground, and it's in the garage and not in the yard, so it shouldn't leak. It has a lifetime warranty against any leak or problem. Also, we registered it with the local fire department. They have our GPS coordinates and in the event of an EF-2 or greater tornado, they will come make sure we are safe.

With all of the stormy weather over the past few days, it certainly has been worth the amount we paid for the peace of mind.

Also, when we were researching basements, we learned from various sources, both online & in talking with builders, etc. that it was more of a money issue than a water table or clay issue.

I live 3 blocks from Plaza Towers school. The tornado missed our house by 2 blocks on 2 sides. We went to our neighbors underground shelter.

We had plenty of warning. My parents picked up my kids for the night at 1pm because bad storms were coming. We stayed home. Our neighbor had time to pick up nieces and cousins from 3-4 different schools and get them all in her storm shelter. We waited a while and were still in the shelter for 15 minutes before anything hit.

The schools all said to get your kids by 1 or not until the storm passes, that was around 11am. Some people may have felt their kids were safer at school. It is a terrible tragedy. 7 1st graders drown in the school.

We are In.Edmond.at my parents house, I hope we can go clean up our used and fridge tomorrow.

We have one of the in ground concrete shelters, it came with the house, so I can't speak to cost. But I can say that even with the very wet spring, and rain nearly every day for the last week, in this thick sticky mud, we have had no problems with moisture in the structure. Within 2 miles of our house there are three places that build and install them, prices range from 2500 to 6000.

while the tornado was barreling towards Moore the meteorologists on television were saying quite clearly, "You must be underground or you must leave town. This is a killer tornado." That was the first time they ever said to run. I would certainly prefer a basement to no basement.

My sister missed the worst of it by approx one blocks. She said they were telling people to leave yesterday too. Get underground or leave.

There are also companies that make underground shelters that go under the front steps on mobile homes.

I might not have a popular opinion on this, but I think it should be illegal to put up a trailer home in tornado alley. Might as well try to ride a tin can through a tornado.

Storm shelters are expensive and the rebates aren't nearly enough. 3-6k $ is a lot of money for what amounts to a concrete closet for 4 to 6 skinny people to stand in. And no matter how awesome it might be, people who don't have $3-6k aren't going to suddenly find the money.

I live 3 blocks from Plaza Towers school. The tornado missed our house by 2 blocks on 2 sides. We went to our neighbors underground shelter.

We had plenty of warning. My parents picked up my kids for the night at 1pm because bad storms were coming. We stayed home. Our neighbor had time to pick up nieces and cousins from 3-4 different schools and get them all in her storm shelter. We waited a while and were still in the shelter for 15 minutes before anything hit.

The schools all said to get your kids by 1 or not until the storm passes, that was around 11am. Some people may have felt their kids were safer at school. It is a terrible tragedy. 7 1st graders drown in the school.

We are In.Edmond.at my parents house, I hope we can go clean up our used and fridge tomorrow.

So thankful you all are okay. Praying for you, the city of Moore, and the state of OK.

I'm from California, but have lived in tornado alley for seven years now. We were in a tornado last year and it was the scariest experience of my entire live. I'd take an earthquake anyday. Everyone told me it would be a once in a lifetime experience, but I don't believe that anymore. They came rolling through here this week and I am terrified. I've been having nightmares since the last one (last year). I want a storm shelter now and will be looking into that. Can you get rebates in any state in tornado alley? I will have to save up to afford one.

When we bought our house a few years ago we had just gone through the April 2011 storms and knew our new house (in OK) was going to have to have a shelter. I was shocked that out of the many, many homes we looked at, only 1 had a storm shelter. We had one put in in the price range you mentioned. After much research we decided to go with an underground shelter in our garage. This seemed to be our best option, it's under the ground, and it's in the garage and not in the yard, so it shouldn't leak. It has a lifetime warranty against any leak or problem. Also, we registered it with the local fire department. They have our GPS coordinates and in the event of an EF-2 or greater tornado, they will come make sure we are safe.

With all of the stormy weather over the past few days, it certainly has been worth the amount we paid for the peace of mind.

Also, when we were researching basements, we learned from various sources, both online & in talking with builders, etc. that it was more of a money issue than a water table or clay issue.

That's what I've heard, too. I'm glad you have one, I really want one, but we will move next year, so our damp basement will have to do til then.

My sister missed the worst of it by approx one blocks. She said they were telling people to leave yesterday too. Get underground or leave.

I might not have a popular opinion on this, but I think it should be illegal to put up a trailer home in tornado alley. Might as well try to ride a tin can through a tornado.

Storm shelters are expensive and the rebates aren't nearly enough. 3-6k $ is a lot of money for what amounts to a concrete closet for 4 to 6 skinny people to stand in. And no matter how awesome it might be, people who don't have $3-6k aren't going to suddenly find the money.

Ideally. But most people live in trailers due to necessity. They can't afford homes with shelters. Not the best situation, but it beats the hell out of being homeless. If there are trailers, there needs to be more community safe rooms or subsidies/low interest loans for installing underground shelters.

If they live in a trailer park, the park is supposed to have a shelter. The lack of one will cost them their zoning permit, which is why my town has exactly 1 trailer park.

Trailers tho are often temporary set ups on homesteading properties until they can build a house and there is no way they could get to a shelter unless it was in their home.

Ideally. But most people live in trailers due to necessity. They can't afford homes with shelters. Not the best situation, but it beats the hell out of being homeless. If there are trailers, there needs to be more community safe rooms or subsidies/low interest loans for installing underground shelters.

Ugh, I lived in a trailer park in high school. On a hill. I remember one storm where the straight line winds were rocking the whole house. My brother and I were huddled in the hallway, but in an open floor plan double wide, there's just nowhere to go. We were home alone with no car and not in walking distance to anywhere safe. They really should require parks to have a certain number of shelters per number of lots. Granted, most of ours would have probably doubled as underground meth labs, but it would be something.

Being sucked out of a basement is INCREDIBLY rare and it is quite dangerous to tell people to avoid them for a closet. An interior closet would be second best if there is no storm shelter or basement. A safe room in a basement is always safest unless your area is flood-prone. http://www.fema.gov/...-safe-rooms#Q04

Oh, I agree, a basement is better than a closet for sure. I was so happy when we moved from a house with no basement to one that has a basement. But I used to go sleep on the couch in the basement during tornado warnings and feel fairly safe. I don't anymore. Now, we clean out the large closet under the stairs in the basement and huddle in there. I think with most tornadoes below an F4 that a basement is likely to be safe enough and far better than a closet. I guess my thought was that a lot of people who don't live near tornadoes say better construction or basements would have saved lives in the massive F4s and F5s that are so devastating, and that may not be true. Most of those buildings could have been reinforced for tornado winds and may have had shelters and basements (especially daylight ones) but when an F4 or F5 is on top of you, it doesn't matter.

What year did you graduate? Back when Moore High only had 11th and 12th grades, I attended for band in 10th starting in 1987 and the pool had been there a long time then. I graduated in 1990.

I graduated in 01 from Mustang. My best friend in college graduated from Moore, never mentioned a pool and my SIL graduated a few years after me from Moore also never mentioned a pool. Sorry, if I was spreading misinformation. I've only ever heard of private schools having pools :p

What exactly do you mean by trailer home?

In my experience people who live in mobile homes have shelters because they know they are at an increased risk. I probably can count on one hand all the properties that don't have a shelter for 4 miles including an actual trailer home (can be attached to a truck). It's the people in brick and mortar homes that think they are perfectly safe that don't tend to get them.

We got a in the yard storm shelter last year for about 5K. It fits our family in folding chairs just fine including the prissy dog. We were in it on Sunday :p No leaks either btw.

The problem with the rebate plans is they are a lottery. Before we moved I had applied for a rebate in the town we were in. THEY CALLED ME A YEAR AND A HALF LATER!! to say we had won the rebate. It was not transferable it was only for ME and my PREVIOUS ADDRESS. So if I had stayed within that town I could not have used it at a new address nor could I pass it on to the people who bought our house. It was in the paperwork that it would not go toward a previously bought shelter so they probably assume most people would have already bought one assuming they didn't get the rebate. What. a. crock.

Also the water table does factor into basements. My parents have a basement and when the electricity goes out flooding is a serious problem because their sump pump cannot run to keep the water out of the basement. Every time a storm comes through they run the pump so that they can go as long as possible before having to bail water if the electricity goes out. It's not just about cost.

For those of you who were wondering about the speed and power these things have behind them, this video shows the sheer speed with which this thing developed. It was barely a blip on the radar and within minutes became this powerful storm. It was on the ground for nearly an hour, and this is the beginning of the storm, before it hit the full F5 terror.

\

For those of you who were wondering about the speed and power these things have behind them, this video shows the sheer speed with which this thing developed. It was barely a blip on the radar and within minutes became this powerful storm. It was on the ground for nearly an hour, and this is the beginning of the storm, before it hit the full F5 terror.

here is a gif of the radar, pretty terrifying.

http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/pub/includes/columns/community/2013/ref520ref.gif

If they live in a trailer park, the park is supposed to have a shelter. The lack of one will cost them their zoning permit, which is why my town has exactly 1 trailer park.

Trailers tho are often temporary set ups on homesteading properties until they can build a house and there is no way they could get to a shelter unless it was in their home.

Really? I did some real estate checking around OK when dh had a job opportunity, and like here, pre-fab and mobile homes are exceedingly common as primary residences, not temporary. Do you have a link for where this is code? Not that I don't believe you, but I just saw the exact opposite statement about coding requiring shelters in another news article.

Ugh, I lived in a trailer park in high school. On a hill. I remember one storm where the straight line winds were rocking the whole house. My brother and I were huddled in the hallway, but in an open floor plan double wide, there's just nowhere to go. We were home alone with no car and not in walking distance to anywhere safe. They really should require parks to have a certain number of shelters per number of lots. Granted, most of ours would have probably doubled as underground meth labs, but it would be something.

:lol: They would be here, too!

It might be local codes. Like I said, that's a player in why my town has ONE trailer park. I've lived in oklahoma all my life and don't think trailer homes are all exceedingly common at all. I can drive all day and not come across any trailer parks. I see some individual trailers but I wouldn't call them exceedingly common. Especially in city limits.

Hmm. Now that I'm more aware ill have to keep an eye out to see if I notice more.

Something my dad mentioned off hand seemed like it might have an answer.

The gas was still on in their neighborhood and it suffered heavy damage.

That's one of the excuses news has been throwing around.

My friend (whose house is still standing, but damaged) said they keep changing whether or not they are letting people in with no warning. She said they attempted to tarp it yesterday just the two of them unsuccessfully, but now they have offers of friends to help and don't know if they can get back into the neighborhood or not.

Why are you guys going on about trailer parks now? That's not even relevant to the Moore storm. If we were discussing the storm that went through Shawnee on Sunday sure, but I thought we were talking about Moore. If you are well traveled in OK you know mobile homes, trailer parks etc are very common. No they are not temporary residences in most cases. My BIL and sister used to develop mobile home neighborhoods and yes a LOT of the owners chose to put in storm shelters. I live not far from one they put in and there are plenty of storm shelters. Just because movies depict mobile homes belonging to redneck poor people does not mean it's true. Okies should know better.

Ooooo that was a nice bit of thunder, you guys feel that? Sure hope the storms tonight keep the tornadoes far south if it stirs more up.

Ooooo that was a nice bit of thunder, you guys feel that? Sure hope the storms tonight keep the tornadoes far south if it stirs more up.

Big thunder in the NE part of the state this morning. I'm ready for some rain-free days.

My friend (whose house is still standing, but damaged) said they keep changing whether or not they are letting people in with no warning. She said they attempted to tarp it yesterday just the two of them unsuccessfully, but now they have offers of friends to help and don't know if they can get back into the neighborhood or not.

My parents and sister went to their house early in the day yesterday to board it up, tarp it, etc. They weren't letting people in later in the day because there were power trucks putting the lines back up on the main road. My mom left to attend a meeting, then she had to go around and go in the back way to get back.

A lot of mobile homes are very nice. Mobile homes did not get hit in this storm, I have known many who lived in them and they had pretty nice houses. I couldn't live in one due to fear but it is an option I would consider if I wasn't scared of them and we lived in the country or something.

Prefab houses also didn't get hit, at least not many if they did. Most of these homes were older homes built in the 70s and 80s in well-established neighborhoods. Plaza Towers was an old school when I went there. Briarwood was built when I was in elementary school. It wasn't a new school.

They may look like they were made from sticks from the pictures, but these were brick homes.

There were some mobile homes nearby but it doesn't appear that they were hit.

FWIW my family said the red cross, salvation army were both out there yesterday. If people want to donate to them then they should not be worried that those organizations are not helping.

Local churches are also very involved. If people want to donate to a local church that is helping with clean-up I can get that information from some of my friends who are pastors and pass it along.

They were at the house yesterday and all day people were bringing them bottled water, food, buckets, plastic tubs and other things to help out. A lot of groups are there helping with clean up.

From what I read about The Red Cross, if you want your money to go to the actual tornado area, you need to donate via The Red Cross of Oklahoma. If you donate to The Red Cross in general, they can send it anywhere. Just something to know.

From what I read about The Red Cross, if you want your money to go to the actual tornado area, you need to donate via The Red Cross of Oklahoma. If you donate to The Red Cross in general, they can send it anywhere. Just something to know.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-tornadoes-how-to-help/article/3827150

http://www.redcross.org/ok/oklahoma-city

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-tornadoes-red-cross-text-donations-not-designated-for-oklahoma/article/3828381

“Our hearts go out to everyone in Oklahoma,†Borrego said. “When someone texts “REDCROSS†to 90999, that $10 donation goes to the American Red Cross. I could have donated on May 15 and that's what it would go in. It goes to general disaster relief. It is not designated to Oklahoma or any specific disaster relief.â€

Borrego said some of the money donated via text message may end up being used in Oklahoma, and noted the agency has already sent crews into the state to provide food, emergency shelter, aid stations, clean up kits, mobile kitchens and counseling to the tornado victims.

The Salvation Army has been roaming damaged areas delivering food. Like we were talking about, being able to get back in the neighborhoods is spotty and the water is not ok in most areas.

Salvation Army OKC â€@Salvationarmyok

100% of donations including texting STORM to 80888 goes to Oklahoma Tornado Relief. Your $ directly impacts Oklahomans! THANK YOU!