Menu

Now that time has passed- what are you using to read?

plain jane

How are you reading books these days?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. How are you reading your books these days?

• I don't have a tablet or eReader so I read printed materials only
    • I only have a tablet and I read mostly from it
    • I only have a tablet and I read mostly printed materials
    • I only have a tablet and I read equally from it and printed materials
    • I only have an eReader and I read mostly from it
    • I only have an eReader and I read mostly printed materials
    • I only have an eReader and I read equally from it and printed materials
    • I have a tablet and eReader and I read mostly from the tablet
    • I have a tablet and eReader and I read mostly from the eReader
    • I have a tablet and eReader and I read mostly printed materials
    • I have a tablet and eReader and I read equally from all 3
  2. 2. What format are you PURCHASING your books in?

• I purchase most of my books in printed format
    • I purchase most of my books as eBooks (pdf format) to read on my tablet
    • I purchase most of my books as eBooks (pdf format) to read on my eReader
    • I purchase most of my books in eReader format (Kindle or Nook)
    • I make it a point to try to purchase books equally for all 3 formats
    • I very rarely purchase books; most everything is borrowed from the library or friends

I'm interested to see how things are now that the technology has been out for some time. What are the WTM ladies using to read these days? Do you have a tablet? e-reader? Or do you still buy plain 'ole paper books? :)

I have an iPad and a Kindle and I'll admit that I still buy paper books. :o

I use the iPad to read books borrowed from my library (since they don't have a large selection of Kindle format) but I don't like how my eyes feel after a while of reading off the tablet. I don't notice when I'm reading a web page like these boards (go figure :001_tt2:) but it does for books for some reason.

I enjoy reading off the Kindle but I find it such a hassle to get books onto it (I don't tend to buy Kindle books). Most of the books on the Kindle have come from Yesterday's Classics or Bethlehem Books ebooks or other cheap sources. I have a few free Kindle books and have only paid for 2 Amazon Kindle books. I figure since most of the time the price is within $2.00 I would rather have the paper version. Yes, it takes up more space on my bookshelves, but I don't always know what I want to read. I tend to forget about the ebooks I have and will simply look at the spots on the bookshelf and read from what is there. Perhaps I need to adjust my way of thinking but I'm afraid that if I spend a lot of money on Kindle books they will get forgotten.

How is everyone else choosing to read these days? For the poll options, please choose what you do THE MAJORITY of the time. I realize there will be exceptions but I didn't want to make it a long and complicated poll. For example, if you buy 10 books per month. 6 on Kindle and 4 are printed, please just vote for Kindle, even though the numbers are close.

IPad here, and I use both the kindle app and the iBooks app.

I borrow most new reading material from the library, but when I purchase it is almost exclusively printed material. The exception being my second copy of WTM, (I wanted one on my tablet), and when DH and I are reading a book together we will download it to both of our IPads.

You missed me. I purchase pretty equally between my Kindle in Ereader form and print materials. I have practical reasons for preferring one over the other for specific books. So, it runs a close 50/50.

Though I do prefer real, in my hands, books. I have found the Kindle invaluable for things that I really do not need badly enough to pay a higher price for a print copy.

Faith

I like borrowing books from the library for my kindle - very easy and cuts way back on my library fines!!

Other than that, I LOVE my kindle when I'm traveling!!

But I would much rather hold a real book in my hand and read it, so that's what I do most of when I'm at home.

Anne

I still like paper books, I get them from the library :) now when I do buy something I either have it for my Nook or the kindle app on my phone. I don't have much storage space for physical books so that's why I get them from the library. Library books live in a bag unless I'm reading them.

I have an iPad, and there are iPads, Kindle Fires, and Nooks also living in my home.

I use the iPad for work, but never to read. The closest I come to reading on it is when I'm using wi-fi on the airplane, and I'm tooling around the internet. I don't read even the internet on the iPad when I'm home.

I never read from the Kindles or Nooks. I've never tried, and have zero desire to. I'll probably hold out as long as there is printed material available.

I greatly prefer to read printed material. A few magazines I've read went digital only, so I just stopped reading them.

I voted just for me, but our household has just about every option mentioned. I read most things on my ereader with e ink; it is simply the easiest on my eyes. My second choice is large print book in good or new condition. We also have a Kindle-fire, and two ipads; they are the choice of reading for the rest of the family. I like both for some things, but not any real reading. We also have a nooktablet, and another regular kindle; both were gifts and are seldom used anymore,

I will buy a physical copy of a book only if I can't get a digital copy. I am simply out of shelf space.

I make exception for many children's books. They forget that we have books unless they can browse the shelf. Or they forget what they are reading if it is on the Kindle.

We use the library regularly as well!

I pretty much exclusively buy books for my Kindle (I read on the ereader... the screen on the Fire hurts my eyes if I use it too long). I get kind of annoyed if it's not available for the Kindle, actually. Buying To Kill a Mockingbird in paperback recently was almost painful. I read paper books sometimes. Most of them are gotten almost free at library book sales on their $1 a bag day.

I have a tablet. Although I prefer printed books and mostly read them, I love the tablet for reading things I can't get in print, esp. very old books. I'm currently reading the letters of Elizabeth Barrett and Robert Browning and it's going very well on the tablet.

I don't spend much money on books. For ebooks I do if they're very cheap but I prefer print, which I mostly get from the library. Moist of my ebooks are free.

I do all of my reading on my Kindle or on my phone using the Kindle app. I almost always use the Kindle at home or when we're on vacation, but when waiting at the kids' sports practices or for an appointment the phone works well.

All my books are purchased from Amazon for Kindle use.

I think I've read maybe five "real" books since I got my first e-reader in 2008. Those were books from the library that I wanted to read but didn't want to purchase and we're only available from the library in hard copy.

I have a Kindle and an iPad. The Kindle is mostly used by the kids these days. I do most of my reading on the iPad.If I'm reading an actual printed book it's usually one I got from the library or one I've had for ages. My printed book buying is limited to homeschool books that don't come in PDF format or used kids books.

I do a combination of those. I get most books from the library, either in print or on audio (I can't ever find any ebooks for checkout that are available and that I want to read). When I buy books, they're usually on Kindle. I have an iPad but rarely read books on it unless they have color photos or include video content, like The Curly Girl Handbook and Pioneer Woman's second cookbook.

I don't have a tablet or ereader but I read mostly ebooks on my laptop (I can read kindle books online as well as other formats with calibre). I mostly read borrowed books or free ones (like from gutenberg) but I do buy children's book in print.

I had mentioned to my husband a few months back the possibility of a Kindle. He literally turns his head away like I am betraying him. :001_smile: He can't believe I would even consider it. The benefit is he now has no problem with me purchasing books whenever I want. ;)

I have an iPad and an iPhone.

For the most part, I much prefer holding a printed book in my hands and the majority of my purchases are print books. The few eBooks I've downloaded were only offered as eBooks, and they were generally free. I read all of my news online, but when I'm reading a book, I prefer traditional books. :)

I have a Kindle and I use it a lot--I love borrowing ebooks from the library, but I also buy some Kindle books.

Some things I can get more easily or cheaply in print, so I go with that. It's not an intentional spread-the-wealth decision, but a matter of convenience and cost. I borrow more often than I buy books, and if the library has a print copy but not an electronic copy, I'm more likely to borrow the print copy than buy my own ebook.

ipad - newspaper subscription, internet

google nexus x2 - newspaper, ebooks, internet, gmail

Kindle 3G - ebooks (esp. now that I'm reading outside; tablets are impossible to see in sunlight); Amazon Prime ebooks

paper books - when not available from library in ebook (which is still about half of fiction & non-fiction that I read)

I rarely buy books or ebooks; only if I'll use the it again & again will I buy it.

I don't know how to answer= I have a Kindle Fire- is that a tablet or Ereader? It seems to function as both. I will answer the poll afterwards. But I like having my magazines on the Fire (if it is free). That way I can easily link to a site. I have only read one book on it so far, and that was just because it was so much cheaper in the digital. I do regret it and think I may buy it as a regular book. Currently my youngest is generally using the Kindle Fire since we have Grimms' Fairy Tales on it (it was free) and she is reading that for school. She likes it on the Kindle because she can adjust size and look up a word easily.

I don't know how to answer= I have a Kindle Fire- is that a tablet or Ereader? It seems to function as both. I will answer the poll afterwards. But I like having my magazines on the Fire (if it is free). That way I can easily link to a site. I have only read one book on it so far, and that was just because it was so much cheaper in the digital. I do regret it and think I may buy it as a regular book. Currently my youngest is generally using the Kindle Fire since we have Grimms' Fairy Tales on it (it was free) and she is reading that for school. She likes it on the Kindle because she can adjust size and look up a word easily.

I greatly prefer printed books, especially reference books, but being overseas I have fallen in love/made peace with my Kindle and iPad as readers. The Kindle is my usual device, but I use the iPad for regency material. The larger screen seems easier for me, and the formatting is often better if there are text boxes, illustrations, and other call-outs from the regular flow of text.

For children's books I still get paper when I can. I have a lot of Kindle books purchased cheaply or free at the ready, but for now we are still trying to use paper with DD.

It depends on where I'm living. We use the library almost exclusively when we're in the US and I rarely buy any books. When we're overseas without a library, I only buy or borrow ebooks.

So our personal library has switched to being almost exclusively ebooks, but we use paper books a lot in the US because of the library. I don't have a strong preference one way or the other. I still love to read paper books, but they are less convenient for us in almost every way, so ebooks are best for us.

I have a tablet, a Kindle with keypad and a Samsung Galaxy S3.

I don't read at all on the tablet, too heavy. I love my Kindle above all things, books, especially a lot of the fantasy I read, have gotten heavier as my hands became more arthritic and that last time I picked up my beautiful LOTR for my annual read, I cried because the print was too small for me to read it anymore. It breaks my heart to read those on my Kindle rather than holding my leatherback, gold leaf, good smelling book but other than those, I don't care.

I use Calibre to manage books and move them to a device, so simple and I can convert to any format I want.

I use Aldiko on my S3 or the Kindle app and I love both, they each have their advantages. Sometime I read on it if I want to read in bed after the light goes out. Or I use my Lightwedge with my Kindle.

I hate reference books in any other format than print but I underline, highlight and annotate just fine with my Kindle for anything else.