Menu

s/o Isn't anyone really, really offended by foul language anymore?

Rebecca VA

Ugly, foul language seriously shocks me. Every time. It's so offensive that I want to get away, quickly -- I feel verbally attacked, even if the language wasn't directed at me.

I actually will start reciting poetry or Bible verses in my head, the more beautiful and language-rich, the better, to get my thoughts directed onto something decent. I don't want unpleasant words lingering in my mind and taking root (not that I would want them to, but our minds will involuntarily take in content and keep it for a very long time).

People who wouldn't dream of emitting a foul odor into a room somehow think it's fine to spew vile language, which is every bit as offensive.

Why is everyone putting up with this? Am I the only person left on Earth who has a problem with not wanting to be assaulted by ugly words?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh. Times change, along with what's acceptable.

When my husband started working, cigarettes were still okay in the office. Now they're not allowed in the building.

I'm sorry you're offended, but I like the idea of some words having less power (Carlin's 7 words, for example).

I think blasphemy and words that denigrate (racial slurs, etc) should be watched because that affects how we think of others (dehumanization).

So I'm all for political correctness, but I'm perfectly fine with Carlin :)

I do not enjoy foul language and don't normally use it. If I smash my finger or drop a favorite dish I may let out an expletive. I told my kids if they want to trash talk with their friends to go right ahead but don't do it around me and make sure there are no children around. I also let them know that if they choose to speak that way that other people will think they are stupid and treat them accordingly. When you want that job or good service it matters.

I've chosen to not give "bad" words the power to offend me. I mean really, they're just words that somewhere along the line some people decided were "bad." And while this might be somewhat contradictory to what I just posted (and no offense meant to anyone) -- I've always told my kids that people who use them are almost always intellectually lazy or just not too bright. Anyone can spout off trite, over-used "bad" words. It takes someone with creativity to come up with something more unique. So . . . no, I don't particularly like hearing them and we don't use them at home. But I refuse to be offended. It's just not important enough.

I am. It makes me terribly uncomfortable, I don't watch tv/movies or read books with foul language. As a believer, there are many scriptures that teach about choosing our words carefully but even if I wasn't a Christian I think it's something I would just stay away from if at all possible.

I don't mind some foul language in the right situation. If it is the only words a person uses to talk then yeah that can get old and annoying. But a few carefully placed f-words does not bother me in the least.

Why do I put up with it? Because it doesn't bother me. In fact, it often makes me laugh. I dunno why.

I laugh too, don't know why. I don't swear actually, sort of wish I could force myself to do it and save the wear and tear on my teeth from grinding them when I'm frustrated.

I laugh at the store when a customer is upset and yelling at the store employees. I did it when I was the employee and I still do it as another customer. It's some sort of defense mechanism that I can't explain.

But no, foul language doesn't offend me personally. Very little does. When the f-word is used for every part of speech in a single sentence, I roll my eyes a bit. I'd still rather hear that than being chided for not "engaging" my kids in every blasted shopping experience (see, I tried).

I absolutely dislike foul language. to me it shows a limited vocabulary and poor expressive skills and lack of self control.

My brother disagrees and tells me he uses heaps of expressive words and huge vocab mixed in with all the swearing. He refrains from swearing in my presence. I do and have told people off for excessive swearing in my presence. Usually all I say is language! and have a suitable shocked expression on my face. just about everyone int eh whole district knows I do not swear and try not to swear around me.

No, I'm not offended. I think there is time and place and would not curse in your presence if I knew it bothered you. However, as you study about the history of language, it's fascinating to see how the power of words change through the years. If I stub my toe on the door frame (as I have this week), a curse word is going to fly out of my mouth.

ETA: In general I don't like cursing in every sentence. Some people overuse it.

I am not offended unless it is said in the presence of my dd who is 6. We were at a hockey game the other day (an adult league that my son is in) and this guy starts cussing up a storm because his girlfriend was playing and she got knocked down. Now I have been know to swear at hockey games but never in the presence of kids. There were at least 10 kids at this game and he was standing right in front of my dd saying f this and f that screaming at the refs. I said something to him and he tried to defend himself and I just said, "I would appreciate it if you wouldn't swear in front of young kids" and he calmed down and said, "I get your point" and was pretty quiet after that. I think that sometimes people just don't think before they speak and it comes out! Later I found out that it was my son that supposedly knocked his girlfriend down (it's a no checking league)! My son didn't but from our angle it probably looked like that because he was skating right at her.

Sometimes, a well-placed and well-stated swear word is what is needed to get your point across. Polite words just don't work on some people. That said, I'm one of those swearers. I swear a lot. And no, I do not have a limited vocabulary and my intelligence is quite high.

I swear because it feels good to let the words out. Feels good to let the steam out. It just flat out feels good. Even Mythbusters proved this.

That said, I've learned that if I see someone else being treated poorly (like a customer yelling at a cashier), I've discovered that I have a talent for getting that person to leave the situation and sometimes even apologize when I'm nicer to them than they are being to the cashier. I love doing that, in fact. It makes my day to take an angry person and make them feel small when they've just finished hurling insults at someone who cannot control the situation.

Yes, there is a proper place and time. I get that some don't believe that, but it is true. And I use it. I don't withhold my words because of who's around me either. Kids, adults, doesn't matter. If I am angry, if I am hurt, I am NOT going to let silly little rules hold me back from expressing my pain.

Despite all this, I DO try to not use any bad words just for the sake of using them, in the presence of others; until I've gauged how they will react to those words. If I determine you will react strongly (or poorly), I'll probably just leave your presence and never return to it, rather than let a cuss word slip. I've got too much going on in my life to spend any of my precious time worrying about who I've offended with a well-placed "D@amn it" or "sh!!t".

I guess I'm not really offended, though I don't care for excessive or inappropriate use of foul language. By inappropriate I think of the time I was at ds's soccer game. Another mom didn't like the ref's call and loudly exclaimed, What the f***! And not just because my 2yo could hear that but because it's at a venue for a children's activity. Just not appropriate. I don't take the foul language personally, I just usually think to myself what an idiot that person is. I think in these instances the person shows themselves to be crude and lacking self-control.

Doesn't bother me. I do laugh whenever I hear people say that people who swear aren't intelligent or professional. You all would have fainted at the language in the research lab where I worked at a big university. I foresee that my children may be scientists or engineers so it is important to me that 1) they don't judge people and 2) they can let words roll off their back.

Sometimes, a well-placed and well-stated swear word is what is needed to get your point across. Polite words just don't work on some people. That said, I'm one of those swearers. I swear a lot. And no, I do not have a limited vocabulary and my intelligence is quite high.

I swear because it feels good to let the words out. Feels good to let the steam out. It just flat out feels good. Even Mythbusters proved this.

That said, I've learned that if I see someone else being treated poorly (like a customer yelling at a cashier), I've discovered that I have a talent for getting that person to leave the situation and sometimes even apologize when I'm nicer to them than they are being to the cashier. I love doing that, in fact. It makes my day to take an angry person and make them feel small when they've just finished hurling insults at someone who cannot control the situation.

Yes, there is a proper place and time. I get that some don't believe that, but it is true. And I use it. I don't withhold my words because of who's around me either. Kids, adults, doesn't matter. If I am angry, if I am hurt, I am NOT going to let silly little rules hold me back from expressing my pain.

Despite all this, I DO try to not use any bad words just for the sake of using them, in the presence of others; until I've gauged how they will react to those words. If I determine you will react strongly (or poorly), I'll probably just leave your presence and never return to it, rather than let a cuss word slip. I've got too much going on in my life to spend any of my precious time worrying about who I've offended with a well-placed "D@amn it" or "sh!!t".

it seems you have a self control problem

I'm guessing I'm really not understanding what is a proper "time and place" for foul language. I'm not trying to be offensive, I just can't imagine in what context it would be considered acceptable.

It's not so much the proper time and place, it's tempering it for the improper time and place.

Improper to me:

in a group with small children present

during bible study

when chit-chatting with the cashier

in general conversation about your day

I also think there should be a thesaurus of curse words. Some simply don't convey the right meaning for the situation. They can be very nuanced, I'm not being snarky, really. A well placed curse words in a conversation conveys a certain connotation. Again, if I know someone is offended by such a word I choose something different. Sometimes it, as pp said, gets the point across.

The letter which I assume created this spin off was overwrought with curse words. Again, an improper way to communicate when you are representing an organization.

If I stub my toe on the door frame (as I have this week), a curse word is going to fly out of my mouth.

Teach me how to do that! I kicked the train table while trying to move it yesterday, and instead of cursing, I yelled at my oldest, "Argh, A, that really freaking hurt!" He sort of scrunched up his face in that "Mom's losing her cookies again" look. I always do this pass-the-blame thing in the split second after hurting myself, and I don't know why. I'd rather swear!

The letter which I assume created this spin off was overwrought with curse words. Again, an improper way to communicate when you are representing an organization.

See, even though someone thinks I lack self-control, I could have written that letter without a single cuss word, yet every word I wrote would have conveyed the exact same meaning as the cuss words she used.

I can and do have an excellent grasp on my self-control. I'm just not going to bother myself with petty people being offended by words.

I am not offended by foul language. I am more bothered by the idea that a half dozen words are forbidden for what seem to me to be arbitrary reasons.

I do not think a dirty tongue makes one unintelligent. Shakespeare had both a filthy mind and a brilliant wit.

But if you tell me it really bothers you, I will be careful to not swear in your presence. Simple respect is important.

I was raised in church but hit a wild spell in my teens.. I had the mouth of a sailor. So Ive been desensitized to it a tad. I hate hearing it in social situations-makes me want to cringe. Movies, etc, I don't like it but it wont make me turn it off unless its really bad.

However, someone uses this language in front of my kiddos? Momma BEAR comes out.

:)

If you want an understanding of how cussing really does work, go to youtube and search for "Mythbusters cussing episode". Several options will come up, including tests run by Penn and Teller.

And here are a few articles:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-do-we-swear

http://healthland.time.com/2011/11/23/why-swearing-sparingly-can-help-kill-pain/

(google "does cursing relieve pain")

It really does work.

How can it be petty to not want to hear (and thus have to think) about someone else's reproductive or excretory functions, or to be hurt when God is bad-mouthed?

When people use vile language, they make the world uglier. I don't want to be violated by someone getting their emotions out.

That isn't petty at all.

See, I don't think that "G-D word" has as much of a hold on the language of today as some think. I just don't believe that word means what some think it means anymore. I think it's lost its meaning. Simple as that.

And I also don't consider it hurting you if I say a bad word. But you don't have to worry about it. As I said, I just won't spend any time in your presence because I refuse to be told, as an adult, that I cannot speak in any way I choose. It may be wrong (and I'd never say this word) but if I choose to use the "N" word, well, that's my right to do so as well.

I'd never use that word, in fact, it's one of two that I absolutely loathe. But the other words? Nah, they don't have that kind of stranglehold on my life that I have to be so restricted or tempered that I become offended when someone uses them.

I've got much bigger fish to fry than someone using a few bad words and I won't let someone else's offense of my using those words, rule my life.

I'm guessing I'm really not understanding what is a proper "time and place" for foul language. I'm not trying to be offensive, I just can't imagine in what context it would be considered acceptable.

Two points to anyone else who instantly thought of a Firefly episode.

I absolutely dislike foul language. to me it shows a limited vocabulary and poor expressive skills and lack of self control.

Exactly my feeling. Everyone I know that spews cuss words has one or more of these going on. I have zero problem using or hearing an occasional (or frequent in some situations) swear word. I'm thinking of those people whose conversation goes like this: I was driving down the f-ing road and this f-ing car took a f-ing right turn and I looked over and saw a f-ing bird flying through the f-ing sky.... ACK! If you talk like this, I will assume that you are an idiot. I just can't help myself.

Now if the OP is talking about every swear word in every situation, then I disagree. I agree that they are just words, but some folks need to find some new, original words, IMO. Except for the 'c' word. It should be banned. :tongue_smilie:

When offense is to be given, profanity is one way to do it. When horror, rage, disgust, and other times that a certain beyond-the-pale emphasis is needed, profanity often serves quite well.

These words are often related to what are seen as the grosser of bodily functions. All cultures have them. They are used to express contempt, disgust, frustration, anger, etc. However, they too change over time and become less vulgar as they are used more often (linguistically speaking, that is).

I used foul words sometimes when someone cuts me off on the road and causes me fear or danger.

I use them sometimes when I hurt myself. (A recent winner of an Ignoble Prize, actually did a study on whether cursing at the time of pain actually reduces pain--yep! Probably why it's reflexive.)

I have a darned good vocabulary, in three different language. And I can curse in all of them, too. This doesn't mean my vocabulary is deficient without profanity, but I do understand the use and purpose of profanity.

It's also why we laugh at Ned Flanders for Ding-Dong-Diddlying his way through the same events that would cause most people to curse.

Just because you don't want to, and have trained yourself not to swear, you've lost the point that it's something that is done by all cultures and a majority of people in certain situations. I'm sure this is really not lost on you, but that you're so offended by the words that to even consider them is a place you choose to not even really understand it.

In the same turn, I don't really care for relentless swearing. I watched two episodes of Deadwood and gave up because I found the profanity so off-putting that it was a distraction.

To that sense, I do understand where you're coming from, but in my case, it's a difference of artistic opinion, not offense.

*shrug*

I don't like it bc I grew up with every other word being a cuss word. It's an awful hard habit to break! It's like trying to learn to talk without the accent you grew up in for 18 years.

But I'm not offended by it bc I know it has nothing to do with intelligence or self control or even anger most of the time. It's very common and always has been in many jobs.

My kids know not to repeat everything they hear and I we don't raise our kids expecting to have adults tiptoe about their delicate minds bc I don't believe kids are that delicate. They are perfectly capable of understanding that they are not permitted to imitate every thing they see or hear other people do in life.

Oh, man. This just reminded me, of Cracked's "The 9 most Devastating Insults." I won't link it here, but for anyone with curiosity, a sense of humor, and little fear of profanity, this is just amazing/fascinating/crackers. (I'm not going to link it here, for obvious reasons.)

This exactly.

I also agree the c word should be banned. LOL

I don't know that I've ever used that word. Gives me the nasties.

However, I did absolutely laugh aloud at the demented cheerleader's letter when she combined it with "punt."

LOL!

It is a Mormon thing NOT to cuss. In fact there are some funny youtubes of "what mormon girls say", etc. I socialize a lot with my fellow Mormons...and you get used to NO cursing. So when you do hear it, it sounds really awful. I don't like that it is becoming the norm in general, to me, it just cheapens/makes course our culture. I have always loved older culture for the lack of cursing and lack of sarcasm. Even before I was Mormon I was notremely into the culture of my peers.:)

See, I don't think that "G-D word" has as much of a hold on the language of today as some think. I just don't believe that word means what some think it means anymore. I think it's lost its meaning. Simple as that.

Of course it has. I do understand that people are not intending to be profane most often when they use that word. However, I personally consider God's name to be holy and I do find it offensive for people to use it lightly.

I don't think anyone would appreciate their child's/parent's/wife's name being used as an expression of anger. Likewise, I don't want anyone using my heavenly Father's name in expressing strong feelings. That's why using God's name in vain offends me

Perhaps offended is not as strong as how I feel about swearing/vulgarity in general. I'm more of a roll my eyes, don't really want to be around it person.

IOW, I put vulgarity in a different category as taking God's name in vain.

As far as swearing making pain less....I am confused. See, I don't swear. At all. Does that mean that I experience more pain because I say, Oh mud. rather than Oh Sh!t? I've just NEVER gotten into the habit of allowing foul language to cross my lips when I am experiencing strong emotions. I wasn;t raised around it, I've never wanted to be around it.

As far as swearing making pain less....I am confused. See, I don't swear. At all. Does that mean that I experience more pain because I say, Oh mud. rather than Oh Sh!t? I've just NEVER gotten into the habit of allowing foul language to cross my lips when I am experiencing strong emotions. I wasn;t raised around it, I've never wanted to be around it.

Read the links I posted upthread. It has something to do with releasing pain managing endorphins, not necessarily that you feel more pain than I do. There is a link between the pain receptors and language and science has discovered that when this pain receptor is activated, it connects to the language receptor and when one releases words in a certain way, the pain is lessened.

It's quite fascinating really.

I married a working cowboy. Many of our friends and neighbors (as well as DH's family) are cowboys.

I think the only reason the old saw is "cusses like a sailor" is simply because the originator didn't know any cowboys. ;)

Generally speaking, I don't cuss. I don't judge those who do as I have better things to worry about, I just don't engage in it myself. But I certainly don't worry about foul language around me, or my kids for that matter, as I really don't even notice. Now and again, we'll be talking to someone with salty language and they'll catch themselves doing so in front of a young girl (DD) and feel ashamed. "I'm sorry! Pardon my language!"

DD has gotten old enough she is now the one to say, "That's fine. I've been out working cattle with Daddy since I could walk." Which of course translates to mean that she's heard it all. ;)

I'd much rather people feel comfortable in my presence than worry overly-much about my sensibilities and apparently I'm teaching that to my kids. :)

Interestingly, DD doesn't cuss, but neither does her brother, who is well into that age where boys experiment with these things.

Of course it has. I do understand that people are not intending to be profane most often when they use that word. However, I personally consider God's name to be holy and I do find it offensive for people to use it lightly.

I don't think anyone would appreciate their child's/parent's/wife's name being used as an expression of anger. Likewise, I don't want anyone using my heavenly Father's name in expressing strong feelings. That's why using God's name in vain offends me

And on this, I think it's more of a big-G vs a little g. You and others don't see the difference, but for those that say it as an exclamation, aren't saying it to offend the way you take it. It's just another round of cuss words to be said. I just do not think this word has the meaning, any more, that you and others take it to mean.

Maybe in vernacular, it's just become another word and that's it. I don't know. But it doesn't have the affect on me or others who might use it, that it has on you.

I am. the occasional/odd as an exclamation, not so much. I'll flinch and move on. However, there is a point it makes me ill. I even told a customer on the phone that if she continued swearing I'd have to end the phone call. (I don't care if it was my job to listen to her - I didn't have to listen to the constant swearing.) she was completely shocked - the thought people would object to profanity every other word as though they were 'normal' words was an entirely new concept for her. I've also found people who use such profane language as though it's "just another word", honestly don't realize just how bad their language is. years ago I read a post by a guy who wanted to clean up his language. he was using affirmations "I have beautiful language and speaking skills". he was angry because he was swearing even more - no, he was just becoming aware of how much he swore.

No, I'm a lot harder to offend than that. There are so many things in life that are actually worth getting upset about, that I cant see getting upset about vocabulary choices.

And using swears is only a sign of a limited vocabulary if they are the only expressive words one uses. Expletives can be a PART of a large vocabulary as easily as a small one. I do get upset by language denigrating groups of people, but ironically those aren't usually considered swear words. I don't often swear myself. But I'm not the least bit offended when others do.

I'm offended if it's directed at me.

I feel sorry for them if it sounds like the only adjectives they know are foul language.

If I'm around someone who is dropping words, I will remove myself from the area or have DH tell them to mind their language.

No, I'm not offended. I think there is time and place and would not curse in your presence if I knew it bothered you. However, as you study about the history of language, it's fascinating to see how the power of words change through the years. If I stub my toe on the door frame (as I have this week), a curse word is going to fly out of my mouth.

ETA: In general I don't like cursing in every sentence. Some people overuse it.

This is similar to how I feel. I find much more offense in racial slurs, racial attitudes and other "dehumanizing" (someone else used that, I like it - very expressive) terms than the f-word. I think we've all giggled every time during the entire scene in "The King's Speech" where he had his outburst.

We don't censor what we watch or read due to language, but we only very rarely use the language ourselves (dds never have in our presence).

We don't freak out when we hear it while we're out, but usually one or the other dd will mutter something about manners.

We wouldn't choose to continually hang out with someone who felt the need to use foul language in everyday conversations.

How can it be petty to not want to hear (and thus have to think) about someone else's reproductive or excretory functions, or to be hurt when God is bad-mouthed?

When people use vile language, they make the world uglier. I don't want to be violated by someone getting their emotions out.

That isn't petty at all.

Well, you see, I could discuss in great detail sexual and excretory functions, and denigrate any number of gods, without actually using swear words. Somewhere along the line, we decided that certain words for those functions are inappropriate, while others are fine. I can understand being upset by the actual content of something that someone says. But I don't understand getting worked up because they have chose to use a word that is more vernacular rather than scientific.

Something I find interesting:

"Vulgar language" actually just means "common language." That is, that of the common man, rather than the high born and educated. Think Vulgate Latin...

But somewhere along the lines, "vulgar" shifted to mean "cussing."

I wonder why that is...

Read the links I posted upthread. It has something to do with releasing pain managing endorphins, not necessarily that you feel more pain than I do. There is a link between the pain receptors and language and science has discovered that when this pain receptor is activated, it connects to the language receptor and when one releases words in a certain way, the pain is lessened.

It's quite fascinating really.

So I suppose that one could manage endorphins with saying things like "Ouch." or "Zowie!" just as well. Whatever word expresses strong feeling to you should (in theory) have the same effect.

And on this, I think it's more of a big-G vs a little g. You and others don't see the difference, but for those that say it as an exclamation, aren't saying it to offend the way you take it. It's just another round of cuss words to be said. I just do not think this word has the meaning, any more, that you and others take it to mean.

Maybe in vernacular, it's just become another word and that's it. I don't know. But it doesn't have the affect on me or others who might use it, that it has on you.

I do realize that people are not intending to be offensive. But they are.

In a way, I kind of consider it like the well-meaning Uncle or Grandma who prefaces a statement as "No offense but....blah blah blah." and goes off on an extremely offensive statement. And you just shake your head and think, "They have no idea how offensive that was to me"

Which is why I have trained myself to try use speech that is focused on the least common denominator. I don't want to have to feel like I have to censor my speech, checking out who is around or could overhear. I'm just very careful. I fail very often, not in using profanity, but occasionally I gossip or say something unkind. (which really is just as bad as swearing)

This is similar to how I feel. I find much more offense in racial slurs, racial attitudes and other "dehumanizing" (someone else used that, I like it - very expressive) terms than the f-word. I think we've all giggled every time during the entire scene in "The King's Speech" where he had his outburst.

YES!!!! Sadly, I have relatives who will never use swear words, and look down on those that do, but will also use racial slurs. I find racial terms more offensive than any swear word or vulgarity.

If you want an understanding of how cussing really does work, go to youtube and search for "Mythbusters cussing episode". Several options will come up, including tests run by Penn and Teller.

And here are a few articles:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-do-we-swear

http://healthland.time.com/2011/11/23/why-swearing-sparingly-can-help-kill-pain/

(google "does cursing relieve pain")

It really does work.

It might relieve your pain , but if I have to hear it it causes me pain.

Something I find interesting:

"Vulgar language" actually just means "common language." That is, that of the common man, rather than the high born and educated. Think Vulgate Latin...

But somewhere along the lines, "vulgar" shifted to mean "cussing."

I wonder why that is...

Exactly... There is some classism at the root of this problem, I think.