Menu

Susan: do you need donations?

Laura Corin

So it wasn't just me or couldn't get in. I would subscribe too but it would have to be quite a small amount or I couldn't justify spending the money on myself. I did just buy the PDF for WWE workbook 1 if that helps.

Ps. I would have bought the hard copy if I lived near enough.

I feel the same. This board has been a source of support and guidance I never could have done without - my homeschool journey would have been over a year after it started, had it not been for your generous board! More than happy to donate. Like a PP stated, I would be happy to see a "donations welcome" button!

Everyone has echoed my sentiments. The other day I sat in a field early on a Saturday morning, hunkered down in my folding chair ever so grateful for the MP3 I was able to listen to. Susan's thoughts on literary analysis were very much appreciated but her cheerful, engaged manner and light tone were even more to the point. Nothing like listening to someone who loves what they do! This forum is a wonderful resource far beyond my imaginings.

Can someone even explain what a DDOS attack is?

I know someone slammed the board with requests to shut it down but don't know anything beyond this.

http://en.wikipedia....-service_attack

Basically, because this is a high profile site, DDOS attacks are usually (with the intended purpose of) done to steal important information--it prevents the site owner from stopping the attack (like you can stop a virus).

Of course, I don't see an intention to rule the world with classical and historical information as a bad thing :D but I don't think the attackers really thought that far ahead. :lol: :lol:

(did anyone else get the captcha thing and have to "prove" you were not a bot?)

Yep, a donate button would be great for one time or honor system donations. Even better, an annual subscription fee that came with a badge on your avatar. You know how we love our avatars. Supporting Member or something like that. 12/yr would be pretty painless, but could add up rapidly if enough of us did it. You could even limit access to posting on the classifieds to paid subscribers, and that might help discourage spammers and folks who only come here to sell.

Yep, a donate button would be great for one time or honor system donations. Even better, an annual subscription fee that came with a badge on your avatar. You know how we love our avatars. Supporting Member or something like that. 12/yr would be pretty painless, but could add up rapidly if enough of us did it. You could even limit access to posting on the classifieds to paid subscribers, and that might help discourage spammers and folks who only come here to sell.

I say this gently.

Let's please remember that there are a number of loyal, contributing board members who cannot spare even a minimal amount. I would hate to miss out on their advice because they can't afford a mandatory subscription fee.

I'm wondering if charging for access (as opposed to simply making a voluntary donation button available) would change attitudes about moderation, though. I know I, personally, would feel quite differently about having a thread of mine shut down or a comment of mine deleted if I'm paying for a service than I do if I feel like I'm complying with the wishes of my hostess.

And, yes, I do think we would lose a number of members who have contributed in their own way -- by sharing their thoughts and experiences and insights -- if we now told them that wasn't good enough without a monetary compenent.

I would absolutely support a donate-if-you-wish button, though.

:iagree: I'm in. I would not see a button for donations as offensive in any way, and those that wanted to could donate.

I've gotten more information from this board than any book I have ever paid money for.

I agree. I have most of the books you've put out, multiple bags, the globe, coffee mug, etc. I also regularly push TWTM and PHP's related products. I have tried to do my part, but I would be willing to donate to help support the forums.

I say this gently.

Let's please remember that there are a number of loyal, contributing board members who cannot spare even a minimal amount. I would hate to miss out on their advice because they can't afford a mandatory subscription fee.

Oh, I am sure that is the case.

I wasn't suggesting mandatory fees.

I suggested some "marker" showing your financial support -- sort of like the Sonlight badges. Just a thought.

Similarly, charging for access to the Classifieds section might actually help us avoid certain sellers that would not be missed. :)

I highly doubt Susan will monetize this site, but I personally think she can and should consider options to do it. Being a small business owner is tough, and this site must cost a lot to maintain. Doing it for free is a bit nuts, IMHO, unless you are loaded enough to do it for fun/charity . . . OR you have some way to really monetize it. She doesn't even advertise her own products here. :)

I say this gently.

Oh, I am sure that is the case.

I wasn't suggesting mandatory fees.

I suggested some "marker" showing your financial support -- sort of like the Sonlight badges. Just a thought.

Similarly, charging for access to the Classifieds section might actually help us avoid certain sellers that would not be missed. :)

I highly doubt Susan will monetize this site, but I personally think she can and should consider options to do it. Being a small business owner is tough, and this site must cost a lot to maintain. Doing it for free is a bit nuts, IMHO, unless you are loaded enough to do it for fun/charity . . . OR you have some way to really monetize it. She doesn't even advertise her own products here. :)

A "donate as you can" button? Yes.

A "pay for site"? Absolutely not.

Too much potential for abuse, by staff, members. No way. Someone above stated it as well. Members who paid more may be inclined to hold members who don't pay enough to a lower standard than they do now. So much more could happen that I'm not listing, but a donate button would be much better than a subscription or paid for site. And make the donations anonymous to all but the site admins. No one needs to know that I only donated $5 this month as opposed to their $20.

Now charging for access to the classifieds? That would work. A small percentage would be charged to post your for sale ad (WTB ads should be free).

This would definitely encourage everyone to contain their for sale items to one post (much easier) and not allow them to post 20 things for sale in 20 different posts that cause other posts to drift off the board. And it would discourage spammers.

I do understand the complaint to that. But I'd be more inclined to hit the donate button and drop a $1.00 for a classified post than I would be to a subscription fee. Plus, this has the added bonus of people paying more than just a flat donation with how busy the classified section really is. I'm going to pay $1.00 for one huge post that I can bump but someone else might pay $10.00 for 10 separate posts they can bump. I honestly do NOT like having to scroll through the classifieds on any site where one person makes 25 different posts of 25 different things for sale! It bumps things back to page 2 and beyond and no one reads past page 1 (because most things are usually too old past that page and are likely not for sale anymore so I'm not going to waste my time reading beyond page 1).

Aww, you guys are SO kind. Thanks for the concern and for the suggestions.

A few thoughts...

This forum will remain free and open. In one of the revised TWTM forewords, Mom and I thanked the TWTM forum members because we've learned so much from you. That wasn't just puff--listening to how all of you and your incredibly varied kids/families/jobs/situations approach classical education has been (over the last ten years) eye-opening. We'll keep it going, both for your sake and for ours.

Thanks to John's hard work, the monthly forum hosting costs are now DOWN (part of the reason for the software switch, those of you who were complaining) and that helps a lot. Yes, the switchover, etc. was expensive, but in the long run we'll be better off.

The site will remain ad-free,except for Peace Hill Press banners, which I think is totally reasonable, given how much $$$ and (even more costly IMO) psychic energy it takes to keep the forums up and running.

I have been contemplating various fee-based options, like a weekly podcast, or an audio book-group, or a PREMIUM classified site (where you'd know that your seller has gone through some basic vetting) as a way of getting some more income from the site--because you're right, it's expensive, and the publicity, while great, isn't really paying for the site at this point. I'll keep you posted, but rest assured that if we DO introduce some new fee-based service, it would be an addition to what you've already got for free-not a change. We won't take away or alter what we've built here. It took a long time to develop and I'm proud of it.

Having said that, I'm always happy to hear opinions about what additional resources (ABOVE AND BEYOND THE EXISTING!) people would be willing to pay for. Because some well-designed subscription services would sure help pay for the rest.

SWB