Menu

Susan: do you need donations?

Laura Corin

You've already received some great feedback. A donation button that accepts credit cards and paypal or a checking account is a good start. My biggest and only complaint and the one that has held me off of posting for so very long is the classifieds. It just moves too fast because people post multiple items in multiple posts instead of one big post listing all things. I'd gladly pay a $1 to make one big post so that I could sell what I do have. That would be a good start and go a long way.

If the problem is the organization of the classifieds, then I think that could be addressed another way. I hate giant, mega posts with 500 items that I have to plow through. I'd vastly prefer smaller posts where I might actually find something because it's somehow organized. I think a $1 fee would encourage big, horrible posts, and I would find it a big disappointment, even though I haven't bought anything off the classifieds in years.

I agree. I have most of the books you've put out, multiple bags, the globe, coffee mug, etc. I also regularly push TWTM and PHP's related products. I have tried to do my part, but I would be willing to donate to help support the forums.

I have most of the books, but I really need a coffee mug...off to find one. :D P.S. Count me in for voluntary donations...and a coffee mug.

If the problem is the organization of the classifieds, then I think that could be addressed another way. I hate giant, mega posts with 500 items that I have to plow through. I'd vastly prefer smaller posts where I might actually find something because it's somehow organized. I think a $1 fee would encourage big, horrible posts, and I would find it a big disappointment, even though I haven't bought anything off the classifieds in years.

If this causes a division amongst posters, then a simpler solution is just instituting a Donation button on the site. I disagree with what you said because I feel having one larger post is much better than the constant bump fests of single posts that go on now.

I think just to start, that donation button everyone refers to is a very good start. You could put a small banner at the top that says "if you like the forum consider a small donation to keep it running? It takes $xxxxxx to run this forum every month and we do this to keep it free to all our users." Or something like that. Another forum I'm on just states how much it costs to run, that they believe in keeping it truly free for all to participate, but it would be nice to have a little bit of help every once in a while.

Having said that, I'm always happy to hear opinions about what additional resources (ABOVE AND BEYOND THE EXISTING!) people would be willing to pay for. Because some well-designed subscription services would sure help pay for the rest.

SWB

Just a thought, but one way that you could raise money would be some exclusive merchandise. Something that will not show up on the board as a donation, but some fun logo things that could only be gotten with donation. Like, donate $15 and get a hive tote bag (similar to the PHP one), $30 and get a hive coffee mug. Come up with something fun and hive based. You could do a mug in tartan colors with Well Trained Mind Forums on it or something. The designs could change each year, and maybe have the number on it. My dh is part of the American Chemical Society, each year he gets a mug with the corresponding element on it to the number of years he has been a member.

ETA: Maybe at $50 you could design a pretty tea cup.

Little fun slogans on the mugs for different years "WTMers love teA." "b00ks and teA, bliss!" Just silly inside jokes.

If this causes a division amongst posters, then a simpler solution is just instituting a Donation button on the site. I disagree with what you said because I feel having one larger post is much better than the constant bump fests of single posts that go on now.

I think just to start, that donation button everyone refers to is a very good start. You could put a small banner at the top that says "if you like the forum consider a small donation to keep it running? It takes $xxxxxx to run this forum every month and we do this to keep it free to all our users." Or something like that. Another forum I'm on just states how much it costs to run, that they believe in keeping it truly free for all to participate, but it would be nice to have a little bit of help every once in a while.

:iagree: I don't think special colored beehives, with the color equating how much a person has given, is a great idea at all. Or any variation of a designation of who donates and how much they donate. It could lead to trouble.

Personally, I do like the idea of a donation button on the front page.

I like the idea of a subscription pod cast. I have recently started running, and it is boring. If I could listen to SWB once a week, it would be awesome. As a public school teacher, I use a lot of WTM/WEM ideas in my classroom. I love to make math problems based on history. A podcast that I could listen to about a cool historical event (maybe even just parts of the history of the world series read aloud and with a couple of extra tidbits thrown in) would be something I would be willing to pay for.

I would also make donations if there was a donation button.

Just a thought, but one way that you could raise money would be some exclusive merchandise. Something that will not show up on the board as a donation, but some fun logo things that could only be gotten with donation. Like, donate $15 and get a hive tote bag (similar to the PHP one), $30 and get a hive coffee mug. Come up with something fun and hive based. You could do a mug in tartan colors with Well Trained Mind Forums on it or something. The designs could change each year, and maybe have the number on it. My dh is part of the American Chemical Society, each year he gets a mug with the corresponding element on it to the number of years he has been a member.

ETA: Maybe at $50 you could design a pretty tea cup.

Little fun slogans on the mugs for different years "WTMers love teA." "b00ks and teA, bliss!" Just silly inside jokes.

While on the surface, I love this idea, it is not a feasible one. Firstly, postage costs will eat into the donation quite quickly. Secondly, there are hundreds, if not thousands?, of members on this site who are not in the US. Postage costs to me, for example would put PHP in the hole to send me a tote bag for my $15 or $20 donation.

I like the idea of a subscription pod cast. I have recently started running, and it is boring. If I could listen to SWB once a week, it would be awesome. As a public school teacher, I use a lot of WTM/WEM ideas in my classroom. I love to make math problems based on history. A podcast that I could listen to about a cool historical event (maybe even just parts of the history of the world series read aloud and with a couple of extra tidbits thrown in) would be something I would be willing to pay for.

I would also make donations if there was a donation button.

Yes to this. I would pay for a podcast subscription. And, the donation button... that is so easy to set up. Our pocketbooks are just sitting here waiting, Susan. ;)

:iagree: I don't think special colored beehives, with the color equating how much a person has given, is a great idea at all. Or any variation of a designation of who donates and how much they donate. It could lead to trouble.

Personally, I do like the idea of a donation button on the front page.

Agreed. It would pretty much point out "who has what".

I would subscribe to a weekly podcast. If you did one for grammar stage, one for logic stage and one for rhetoric stage, then I would probably subscribe to all 3. ;)

Ideas for podcast topics:

Projects for logic and rhetoric stages

Internet resources both free and paid

How to get them to do the thing neither you nor your student enjoys, but must be done. Math Mondays? Just get all the hated subject done all in one day? Do it first thing when you are both fresh? Do it last, when you have breezed through SOTW, WWE and subjects you both lurve? Hold out all Dr Who until math is done for the week?

Instead of banishing them to their rooms for quiet time each afternoon, I lock myself in my bathroom for an hour with a lovely fantasy or sci-fi book. Is that okay?

Now that we are moving back to Hawaii, will you come do a writing workshop if I put you up? ;)

I've bought products here, but I don't see that as supporting this forum, I see it as getting a great product to educate my boys. The information here is too important to limit to only those who can afford it. I would prefer not to be forced to pay, but love the option of a donate button, so those of us who can afford to do.

I would also sigh up for podcasts, just to listen to Susan's lovely accent.

I would subscribe to a weekly podcast. If you did one for grammar stage, one for logic stage and one for rhetoric stage, then I would probably subscribe to all 3. ;)

To save on space I cut Mrs. Mungo's post to just this, however "I agree! I agree!"...with it all! These are brilliant ideas!

I'm just about to beg for a donate button at this point. I feel a little dull-headed for not thinking of it sooner but, Susan, some of us really want to donate...now. :) Please let me/us know how we can.

Thanks!!

Yeah, I don't know what the solution is to organizing the classifieds. I haven't ever seen a site that works the way it should, but I did hear the facebook group is very nice.

i just want to say thanks for creating and hosting this. As a newbie both here and in my living room, I am very grateful to have this connection.

I would be wiling to buy swag, to subscribe to stuff (ESPECIALLY things that help me organize myself and connect things like SOTW to our homeschool rhythm), and donate.

Thanks again.

While on the surface, I love this idea, it is not a feasible one. Firstly, postage costs will eat into the donation quite quickly. Secondly, there are hundreds, if not thousands?, of members on this site who are not in the US. Postage costs to me, for example would put PHP in the hole to send me a tote bag for my $15 or $20 donation.

That was bad of me, I forget how many of us are not in the US. If she did something like that it could be free s&h in the US. Then other countries could have the option of just donating or paying s&h if they really want the item. I know it's not exactly fair, but just the logistics of the world, PHP is in the US.

The hard part about a subscription service would be content. And, I mean, I know you're magical and all that, but I would get awfully tired of talking about it all, again and again, feeling like it was fresh, or asking Dh if you hadn't talked about that in 2001... So then you'd have to bring in other people to help, which, if they were as built up with a following it would be awesome, but people still want you. So I think it all depends on how much energy you can expend and what your team looks like.

Personally, I think a cafe press store with bags that had kilted men holding cupcakes would be a best seller.

Lots of us really miss being able to organize content from the forum into different categories like we used to. Either with tags, or in folders, or SOMETHING. I would pay extra to have that back again. Some kind of premium subscription maybe that included private folders?

But...I would also donate with just a donate button just to show my appreciation.

I don't even homeschool anymore, and I'd donate. I loved listening to your youtube videos--a podcast would be cool--kinda like a mini-conference.

I want you to take care of yourself, tho, Susan, and I know you are taking time out from conferences to work your farm and do some other things. I'm talking like a mom--lol--Please be sweet to yourself and only do what you can without compromising your own time, iykwim.

What about selling e-book 'cutting room floor' material. I am guessing that there are often sections of books that are already written, most likely edited, but just didn't make the final cut. Could these be put on the Peace Hill website for purchase? Just as an addendum to the original material, not including all the instructions for use, etc. Could those materials be sold simply as an add on to the published material? Specifying it is for single household use, not to be resold...(insert standard ebook disclaimer here).

~ Maybe it could even be original material made just for this purpose that may have a special market appeal. Like sections that are written just for the humor of the topic or a strong faith based tie in.

~Controversial material that you may not want to include in the published works but are valid topics to discuss.

~Current event topics to tie in would be especially valuable for history programs and would be great for e-book formats. Helping kids understand how decisions made 200 years ago are affecting the world today. This could be tied in with pod-casts to really round out some concepts for older kids/parents.

There are many times that we finish material before the end of the year and having just a few more exercises would be great. I would love to have the option to add a bit more, without the expense of buying a whole years worth of material.

I also would guess there are times that great ideas for material come to you right after a book is published. If they are simple enough ideas or add-ons maybe they too would be worth publishing in the e-book market. Additional chapters or workbook pages are what I am imagining here. I had a daughter who loved diagramming, and I would have happily paid for extra practice sheets for diagramming that had the teachers guide. I had to painfully write my own material and I am not a strong writer or diagrammer.

I wonder if the donations would just cause another area of headaches for SWB ( tax implications??). Just a thought.

Jodie

Combining the donate with merchandise for donating - how about merchandise where the proceeds benefit the boards? Shipping could be extra, so that takes care of that issue. Might make tax implilcations easier as well.

I wish this board would start changing a significant fee. That would hopefully be enough to get me off of here. I waste far too much time on the boards and it will be my deathbed regret if something doesn't change. Why is it so addictive? I've been on here long enough that I'm rarely gathering new homeschool information.

I think the "donate" button is a good idea, though.

Guest inoubliable

Just a few thoughts -

What sort of implications would donations have for SWB's or Peace Hill Press's taxes?

I'd hate to see some members go because they couldn't afford a subscription to the site, so I'm glad to see that the forums will remain free and open.

Instead of donations, what about purchasing more product with the intent to pass it on to families in need? I've heard from a few people who would love to use SWB's stuff but can't afford even the used prices it commands in some places. SWB and Peace Hill Press gets the added sales, and a homeschooling family in need gets great curriculum.

As far as added services, I second the idea of paying extra for more organizational features (keeping old posts in folders and so on, all the information neat and 'pretty'). I don't know if that's possible, but I know plenty of OCD WTM'ers would pay for it! Other sites charge for stuff like additional photos, storage space upgrades, more control over the way your profile and messages look, etc. LiveJournal (which is more akin to FaceBook) charges $20 a year for a paid account with some extras, but anyone can post. It's not an either/or proposition.

I also think that selling virtual badges, icons, and so on could also pull in some bucks. Just fun things you could put on your profile or in your signature; for those who aren't familiar with the concept, just think along the lines of a personalized license plate. Possibly 'gifts' you could send to other members. Gifts usually sell for a dollar or so, but as they are just images I imagine the cost to produce/sell is nominal.

I think SWB and her mother could offer a subscription based online weekly class on subjects that they are so excellent at - what I suggest is to create an online virtual academy. Other people have made great successes of it, so this could be a business model to look at. I would sign up for a few classes myself at a premium price (in hundreds of $$ per semester) knowing SWB was behind it!

We won't take away or alter what we've built here. It took a long time to develop and I'm proud of it.

Very classy. Thank you.

Instead of donations, what about purchasing more product with the intent to pass it on to families in need? I've heard from a few people who would love to use SWB's stuff but can't afford even the used prices it commands in some places. SWB and Peace Hill Press gets the added sales, and a homeschooling family in need gets great curriculum.

This is what I was thinking, too! And in turn, that homeschool family in need would probably turn around and recommend PHP products to others.

Also, I remember reading a post by Susan one time, where she explained that when people buy PDF downloads of the PHP books, PHP actually makes more money than if people bought the physical book from PHP. People could purchase a download, print it off, and "pay it forward." Purchase/print/pay forward over and over again. :)