Menu

What do you do if you squish the bread in your grocery cart?

Silly first world issue, I know.

But I just got home from the grocery store, and I have to ask.

I put a loaf of sandwich bread (don't judge; it's 100% whole wheat and no HFCS :D) in the cart, and I thought I had it safe. Guess not. :p By the time I discovered it to put on the check out belt, it was smooshed beyond use. The cashier wanted to exchange it for me, but I said nevermind, we'd get bread next time, we didn't need it that bad (Look, we had already been shopping for quite a while, and I didn't want to walk back and get another loaf. I'm lazy like that, lol.).

Anyway, I always (not that this happens *a lot*) feel bad when this happens. Like I should still buy the bread. I mean, it is TOTALLY my fault the bread is all smooshed up and unusable.

So what do you do in this situation? And yes, I get that I should be more careful, so no need for lectures or ideas. I get it; I should put the bread in the seat or something. I. Get. it. What I'm asking is do you insist on paying for bread that you destroy or not?

I felt bad, but the cashier insisted I just let her take it.

I would trade it out for a new one. I consider it the same as dropping a jar of spaghetti sauce. I wouldn't pay for it but I would let someone know so they could clean it up. Having said that I almost never have to do that. I guess my bread manages to stay on top. If the bread was just squished in a section, I would still buy it and use the squished part in French toast or something like that.

If it is my fault, I pay for the bread. If the bagger has squashed the bread by poor packing, I would consider asking for a replacement loaf.

If I drop something and it breaks, I make strong effort to pay for the item because the accident was my fault.

People judge others for buying sandwich bread? :blink:

I would buy it but wouldn't if the cashier said it was OK to exchange it. Mine never gets squished at the store; when it happens it's usually in the trunk.

Um, I know some ladies IRL who only eat homemade bread made with whole wheat that they just ground. They'd NEVER buy sandwich bread at the store. So, yeah....

Not that those ladies would judge me for it. Well, maybe they do, but I don't know. :p

Guest inoubliable

Buy it, stop by a duck pond on the way home and let the kids feed the ducks (okay, fine, really, I'd throw it off the back deck for the squirrels to eat), tell DH to pick up a loaf of bread on the way home.

Do you make your own bread crumbs? Really easy and good.

Dry out the bread in a low heat oven until dry. Let cool. Pulse in a food processor until fine.

I add to mine:

Oregano

Parsley

Garlic Salt

Parm. Cheese

Lasts in the freezer for up to 6 months. I throw the ends of the loaves and bread that goes stale into the freezer and make bread crumbs ever 4-6 months. And I use them for breading chicken or for meatloaf.

Guest inoubliable

I'd buy it anyway because I buy white horrible bread and it's like candy to me and I don't care if it's squashed.

This made me LOL.

The way our grocery store is arranged, bread is by the check-out lanes. It is literally the last thing in the cart. If I had this problem more than once, I would remember to put the bread in the cart seat where a kid would be (doesn't work if you have a toddler there!). Then it's the last thing on the conveyor belt too, so it doesn't get squished there. Mine usually gets a little squished in the bags or car anyway--I just fluff it up a bit and put it in the fridge. It's fine.

Most stores here the cashier will get a staff to bring a new one to the checkout. The stores return the past due date bread to the suppliers so I guess that is where the squashed bread will go.

If the bread is squashed on the way home, I can easily use that for croutons or bread pudding.

I'm in the "you break it you buy it" camp (or you squish it you buy it). I don't get not taking ownership of a mistake, no matter how big/expensive the product was. I understand that maybe this is different in some places (OP it sounds like the store you frequent is used to this?). Either way, I'd find some way to use the bread. I love the previous suggestions of croutons, breadcrumbs and animal feed!

LOL, it kind of reminds me of the bicycle thread.

I squish my own bread in the cart all the time, apparently, because I've had cashiers point out the weird shape and offer an exchange. I just tell them to throw it in the bag, that I'll probably make it look worse before I'm done with it. :laugh: But, I'd never feel bad about taking them up on the offer of a replacement or asking on my own if I preferred the original shape, or even asking them to keep my squished loaf with an apology. Squish accidents happen, just like the broken jars of pickles and spilled milk in the aisles.

(Bethany, it's so good to see you in a lighthearted mood! I'm happy for you. You've been through the wringer lately! :grouphug: )

Stores have built-in, expected product losses and this counts as a loss (so does the broken jar of spaghetti sauce). In all honesty, if you're buying from a big chain store, let the cashier exchange it. If it's a small mom and pop store, buy it. I wouldn't make it a habit nor would I put it back on the shelf. Let the cashier take it, get a new one, try not to do it in the future, and forget about it.

Yes, I'm cold and callous that way. And I buy white bread, too - simply because french toast and pb&J are SO MUCH BETTER on white than wheat (IMHO). :hurray:

I'm in the "you break it you buy it" camp (or you squish it you buy it). I don't get not taking ownership of a mistake, no matter how big/expensive the product was. I understand that maybe this is different in some places (OP it sounds like the store you frequent is used to this?). Either way, I'd find some way to use the bread. I love the previous suggestions of croutons, breadcrumbs and animal feed!

Lol, first thing I thought of!

I'd probably use it for french toast or just use it for sandwiches because my kids don't really care if their bread is smooshed. :) However, I think some stores have policies that allow you to trade it out. If that's the case, I don't see a problem with getting a new one. I'd always ask first though.

I agree that I should buy it if I smash it, but I don't see anything wrong with accepting the store's offer to replace it. That isn't refusing to take ownership of a mistake; it's accepting an offer to be forgiven for the mistake.

Good thinking -- except that bread pudding requires bread with strong physical properties (such as ciabatta or a "peasant" bread).

Actually, I make a great bread pudding using sandwich bread, but then she'd have to go back to the store for cream, so that wouldn't help, lol!

I can't really recall ever being in a store and having the cashier let me check out with something that had been damaged unless it was from the clearance and dent bin. One time I grabbed a baguette which was still pretty warm and it folded itself in half because I placed it upright (as I always do with baguettes, and the baguette was upright in a basket when I took it, but I guess they were al supporting each other so the damage came when it was in my cart.) While I was more than willing to pay for it, the bag boy ran over before I could decline and got me another loaf. They then INSISTED that I just take both loaves home after only paying for one. It's not a moral issue to go along with that level of customer service. I had to insist that it was not necessary to replace a bag of wood chips because there was a small hole in one of the ones a bag boy was helping me load into my car.

If I just noticed it at the checkout and the cashier offers to get me another one I let them. The store I shop at has bread right behind the lanes so it doesn't take more than a few seconds. A $3 loaf of bread will not eat into their profit margin. FYI, I say this having worked at multiple chain grocery/sundries stores and they have HUGE product recovery bin where foods that are expired, opened for sampling, returned by customers, or damaged by accident all get returned to the supplier.

If I squashed produce or bread at a farmer's market I'd probably buy it unless they insisted I swap it out.

I'd expect to buy it, but if the cashier offered to replace it, I'd gratefully accept.

Recently, I made the mistake of taking my new "puppy" (18-month-old golden retriever) to the pet store to get him a couple toys. He was extremely excited and peed on two "puppy blankets" on an endcap. (They're nice, small fleecy blankets with soft ribs on one side and "sheepskin" on the other.) I did take them to the register and buy them. (I also cleaned up the rest of the mess; thankfully the store has a "sanitation station" for such events. The silly dog loves those blankets; he carries them around and plays with them. (I'm glad they were machine washable!) :-) So although I wasn't planning on the expense, it turns out we can use them after all.

Well first I get mad at the kids because it was usually them that squished it.

I've never had a checkout person offer to replace it so I just buy it.

Then I make the kids eat it and buy myself a new loaf.

The kids don't care...they will eat bread in any form.....

I don't think Dave's Killer Bread squishes. :D

Come take a look at a loaf of it after it travels around in a tote bag with the rest of the lunch fixings all day. We can certainly smash it here. That said, I can usually sort of stretch the slice out a bit and give it to the kids anyways.

Snort! :lol: This made me smile and remember my fil... He proudly proclaimed himself a white-bread connoisseur! (I miss him.)

I'd buy it anyway because I buy white horrible bread and it's like candy to me and I don't care if it's squashed.

Hmmm, I'd probably buy the bread if I squished it; I detest when baggers do it. If the store offers to exchange it, I'd do it that too.