Menu

Libraries 'have had their day'

Oak Knoll Mom

Since Husband has been out of work, I've bought no books. Not one. In two years. If I had not had access to a library I would have re-read my bookshelves or borrowed books from friends. Over those two years, my children have also had access to books that I would have been hard pressed to afford. Over that time, I have also used the public library's free computer access to study a programme that I did not own, in order to allow me to get the job that I currently have, supporting my family.

Laura

We went through 3 years of unemployment and if not for the library and friends, we would have had nothing to read. I value our library system tremendously!!!!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although our library is a small, rural one and doesn't carry much for kid's historical fiction, I love it! I go there every Tuesday while dd does her PE & Music classes at the local elementary school. I pick up supplemental books for dd and plan my lessons. DH gets audio books and when I'm waiting for a new month to access my Prime Lending Library, I'll pick up a book at the library for myself to fill in the gap. We also borrow movies there occasionally.

Our library system did the same thing about 5-6 years ago, except when they weeded out the so-called "outdated" books, they put them in the DUMPSTER. Seriously, when I saw cartloads of books going in, I just about had a heart attack.

The branch manager said to horrified book-loving patrons that there was some policy about not being able to sell them or donate them ANYWHERE. It felt like a bold-faced lie at the time, but what do I know?

Anyhow, they had a problem with one patron who kept waiting for the staff to go back inside, then he would get INTO the dumpster and toss the books out. He was filling is trunk with them, all in still good shape, classics all. The library called the county sheriff, and he chased the guy away.

Sigh.

I agree, fewer Junie B. Jones books would be nice. We buy our books now, too. Almost all of them.

Junie B. Jones......My dd picked out one of these a few years ago. I didn't think anything about it....until she asked me to read to her one evening. After reading a few pages that was it! No more Junie. I couldn't believe the poor grammar and writing. And don't get me started on Sponge Bob. My dd was never allowed to watch or read those terrible things.

Junie B. Jones......My dd picked out one of these a few years ago. I didn't think anything about it....until she asked me to read to her one evening. After reading a few pages that was it! No more Junie. I couldn't believe the poor grammar and writing. And don't get me started on Sponge Bob. My dd was never allowed to watch or read those terrible things.

I agree about Junie B, but Spongebob? Everyone needs something totally mindless now and again! ;)

don't get me started on Sponge Bob. My dd was never allowed to watch or read those terrible things.

My kids have had fun with SpongeBob SquarePants and Philosophy. :)

http://www.amazon.com/SpongeBob-SquarePants-Philosophy-Soaking-Secrets/dp/0812697308

I *had* to order most of my dc's reading lists because the big, shiny new Barnes & Noble didn't have what we needed. Ender's Game? Who doesn't carry Ender's Game? Oh, wait.... they didn't have room for it because they expanded their *stuffed animal* and puzzles area. (An exaggeration, but maybe not by too much). They also didn't have the Legend of Sleepy Hollow, something by Maya Angelou... I think I bought two books out of about 30 between the two kids. Dh was stunned and I wanted to shout at someone!

A few years ago, before our local Borders closed down, we were looking for some decent children's books. What we could not find was shocking! This "book store" did not have:

• Little House books -- not one

• Where the Wild Things Are -- not a single copy, amazing

• Millions of Cats

• The Chronicles of Narnia

• A Children's Dictionary

We were just stunned. There were plenty of books about boogers and poop, though. And stuffed animals, puzzles, games, baby clothing, toys, craft paper, bead kits, and lava lamps.

Just saying.

A few years ago, before our local Borders closed down, we were looking for some decent children's books. What we could not find was shocking! This "book store" did not have:

• Little House books -- not one

• Where the Wild Things Are -- not a single copy, amazing

• Millions of Cats

• The Chronicles of Narnia

• A Children's Dictionary

We were just stunned. There were plenty of books about boogers and poop, though. And stuffed animals, puzzles, games, baby clothing, toys, craft paper, bead kits, and lava lamps.

Just saying.

It's as if they're forcing us to shop online.

I didn't read the article but I did pick up a 'Horrible History' from Goodwill. They boys didn't care for it so I didn't go looking for any others. Sounds like he needs some cheese with his whine.

He must not have visited our library lately. We have - this being one of the smallest counties in the state - about five branches. I normally use the main one and have the lovely experience my kid's literally reading the exact same book I did as a child when I visited here. It's a good mix of classics, some brain candy and the latest in all genres. There are computer banks that are always full - audio visual room with play way, ebooks, etc.

Due to budget cuts the past few years they had to stop evening and Sunday hours. I could tell our local economy was getting better because we now have our evening and Sunday hours back. The children's room is staffed with great people. I love our library.

Something that won't help libraries is bed bugs showing up!

I've seen more positive reports of bedbugs in department and clothing stores than I have in libraries. There was a very sensationalistic article in the New York Times last year about this that gave zero sense of the relative risk involved.

we've got this idea that we've got an entitlement to read books for free
:confused1:

Maybe this will be too political but I think part of the problem is copyright laws that extend the time authors can make money off of their creations to decades after their death, creating a sense of entitlement in creators that they must be paid for every possible mention of their idea for the rest of forever. (Yes that was generalization and hyperbole, stay with me). I don't know how things work in the UK, for instance that authors got any kind of royalties per rental of their books in libraries, but he seems to think citizens there can all afford to buy every book they desire and that everything that needs to be known is learned at their public schools. So any further knowledge that isn't covered in their schools is optional to living in society and must be purchased at one's own expense? Logically sound as far as I can tell, but I disagree with the premises.

No, they haven't.

One of DD's favorite things to do in the States is go to the library. For as long as she can remember, I have literally turned her loose in the children's section and said pick what you want. Her face always lights up. She and I go around the shelves, looking for whatever has piqued her fancy (cats, school, trains). Our library in VA was better than our current one, but to her it's still magical. Every now and then we find a book that calls to her and we end up buying it at the bookstore because she won't let me return the library's copy. Other times we find gems we didn't know existed.

Our library isn't amazing, but it isn't awful. And it's invaluable to me. I'm using it now through the e-book lending system, and I'm several thousand miles away. Furthermore, I'm likely to buy a couple of the books I've borrowed through this same system because I want to spend more time with them. That would not have happened otherwise.

Gah, what idiocy.

This is not the Victorian age, when we wanted to allow the impoverished access to literature. We pay for compulsory schooling to do that,"

​Compulsory schooling allows the impoverished access to literature? What planet is he living on?

"People have to make the choice to buy books. People will happily buy a cinema ticket to see Roald Dahl's Matilda, and expect to get the book for free. It doesn't make sense,

Well, no, I normally don't go to the movies. But I happily check out DVD's from my library.

What other industry creates a product and allows someone else to give it away, endlessly? The car industry would collapse if we went to car libraries for free use of Porsches

Funny, the last time I rented a car I'm pretty sure people drove that car before me, and people drove that car after me.

We can't give everything away under the public purse. Books are part of the entertainment industry. Literature has been something elite, but it is not any more. This is not the Roman empire, where we give away free bread and circuses to the masses. People expect to pay for entertainment.

I'm not even sure what he is trying to say here. Books are not literature? Books are not gladiator tournaments? Books are simply entertainment?

But I think the real rub is this:

libraries are lovely places, but they are damaging the book industry. They are putting bookshops out of business,

See, if I think a book is worthwhile, if I think it is something that will continuously add value to my life, I'll go to the bookstore and buy it. It is worth it to me to spend money on something that bring meaning to my life. But publishing companies have begun to publish every Dick&Jane drivel book by every wannabe author (that's a whole different issue) and I use the library to sort through that. Libraries also show me treasures that I didn't know existed. A few months ago I found at my local library an awesome German movie about Hildergaard von Bingen that I previously didn't know existed. I have since recommended the movie to friends who share the same interest. Some of them may buy it. If we weren't dirt poor and the movie so expensive, we would have bought it.

Methinks this guy is just sour that people don't really think his books are worth spending money on.

I haven't read the article (and don't have time right now). However, our library has definitely seen it's heyday. They just spend 1.5 million dollars upgrading the facility, but in the process sold all the classics. Almost the whole library is filled with twaddle. The programs they offer are more to teach the kids about the relativistic hot topics of the day than about reading or learning. There is a good library about 30 minutes away, but we rarely get over there. Anyway, I wish that our library had fewer Captain Underpants type books and more real, living books. I just buy our books. :seeya:

Our library has become a lot like this. Garbage books, garbage programs, and garbage facility. I hardly ever go there anymore (like, every couple of years). Every, single time I go there I see three things: fewer books, more couches (for the homeless to hang out on, I mean rows and rows of them), and more computers (with more people and kids hanging out playing internet games, which I don't find objectively offensive, but hardly seems a good use of library resources or space).

Waste.

There is a nice library half an hour from me, but I hardly get there. I just pay them an out of state fee so that I can check out ebooks and audiobooks from them.

As already surmised, I think the man wants a larger royalties check. He also is voicing his side of the ongoing philosophical debate over whether education is for the elite, or for the masses. Free libraries were created to boost literacy rates, and to provide education for the less wealthy. Don't keep me here all night recapping the history of libraries and the philosophies of education!

My completed masters is in Library and Information Science. I was fortunate to attend one of the two-year degree programs. We learned a LOT, and I did not get even to touch every possible topic within the field in order to obtain only a master's degree.

I never have heard of this joker.

Well judging by the amount we spend annually in library fines, I imagine all the of libraries we visit (we go to more than one county system) will continue to flourish. :)

But I love libraries, when we travel somewhere new, visiting their library is a highlight for me. We visit the library on average 2x a week and are fortunate to have good libraries.

Now, I can't really comment on the book quality because I don't feel I'm a great judge of that. I sometimes browse shelves for fun but the majority of my searching is done from home, online, so I can request a hold at the drive up window for when I don't feel like spending an hour or more there if I drag the kids in too. Love that drive up window, life saver especially when my kids were even smaller.

I also like the extras that I imagine many people don't place as much value on, like the large collection of Manga that my teen loves or the Wii games we can check out (love thi because we'd never buy a game). The library programs are nice and really promote literacy, which my kids really don't need that message, but I know the majority present do. And storytime is held 3-4 days a week, 2 different sessions each day. And I love the library that checks out toys too, another bonus for us because it is built-in toy rotation without the storage hassle.

All that extra stuff keeps up coming in more often and we go through a ton of books too - so I don't feel like that stuff is useless extras at all. And if that is what gets a new family to visit for the first time, great, and I hope they fall in love with everything else offered. I've started many library addictions by bringing up those extras to friends who didn't know they were there and now we tend to see them at library events more and their kids have an armful too.

Oh and another plus, I currently have 3 different curriculums out from the library to evaluate and decide if we want to use them. And if I plan it right with holds and requests, we can probably use the library copy instead of buying my own - but often times it's easier to just buy it instead.

:iagree: I, too, would not buy the books new if my library didn't have them. In fact, I rarely even check out books because our library is so bad. It was bad 27 years ago when I had to use it for a 'research paper'.... none of the kids in my class had enough resources. I'm sure it hasn't improved over that time.

Our library is bad. (I'm repreating myself, I know) They never seem to have what we want. Good luck trying to find a new book by a popular fiction writer--- of any genre. I can't find the stuff I read, dh can't find any sci fi and dd can't find teen books. Walking through the children's section is sad, too. I see so many new books at B&N and still the same old stuff at the library, so the littles are missing out, too. Oh, and looking for a new nonfiction book on personal finance, buying real estate, or on some other topic that really needs updating? Good luck with that. However, if you want to read the newest book on religion (specifically Christianity-- good luck on finding a new book on a different religion) or politics, then our public library is the place to go. We also don't use them for movies because any movie newer than about 10 years we have to pay for (and is usually scratched when we get it home) and we can't 'hold' a title and we only have 7 days to return it with no renewals. So, with those rules, good luck in finding something newer than 10 years!! And I would swear there is a campaign to raise revenue by 'pretending' that books weren't returned on time so they can collect fees.

So, if I just look at the question and ignore the article, I would answer that 'yes' *MY* library has seen its day.

BUT... but, but, but.... we need libraries. For all their shortcomings, we need libraries and we need them to be free to the community. I shudder to think of what would become of us as a society should libraries close. Even if one day, the only thing they have to offer are public-use computers and e-readers.... we need our libraries.

This expresses my sentiment.

I think that I must compete with Wildcat for "pathetic" library when it comes to actual volumes stocked.

However, despite the fact that I NEVER you this library to get books, they do a number of things...offer reading tutoring free and the librarians have learned a thing or two about how to teach children to read over the years to they are good at it...art shows for local artists, literary clubs for all age groups, quilt shows, lego building competitions, display outstanding work from area schools, they do historical work for the community, provide a safe haven for kids needing a place for an hour between school and mom/dad getting home from work - lots of kids hang out there until the dinner hour and they do an admirable job of helping them with homework, coming up with activities, and generally managing it so the children WANT to be there so they want to behave. They show documentaries there two nights per month and they have college/career prep days. Oh, and then there is the ACT prep that another associate librarian offers not to mention the free internet for families that can't afford it and with unemployment at 19% in this county and basic internet packages running $69.99 a month, there are many families that do not have it.

The author is very short-sighted in his perspective.

Faith

He's wrong on a number of levels.

He's wrong about what is killing the bookstore industry. It's Amazon and the other internet sellers, period. Nobody pays $25 when they can get it for $15.

He's wrong about what drives the book industry. READERS drive the book industry. Not writers, publishers, or bookstores. Readers, largely, are made at the library. Wanna bet how many authors and publishing industry employees you could find who would say they spent little time in the library as a kid? I'm guessing, hardly any. More importantly, if you took surveys of people with large book collections at home how many of them would have spent little time in the library as a kid? Again, I'm willing to bet hardly any.

He's wrong about what would happen if the libraries all went away. He imagines that he would suddenly get some gigantic royalty check. But that's just not so. He would get SOME more money. But how many of those kids' parents that checked out his books do you think are likely to shell out $40ish bucks so their kids can have his books? I'm guessing not that many. It's also possible that he would get LESS money because he would get less EXPOSURE. How many of those kids would even know about his books if they hadn't been seen in the library?

He's also wrong about the way that free content drives sales. It's a little bit complicated to explain, but here's an example a lot of you are already familiar with: Pioneer Woman. For YEARS she gave away free content on her unbelievably popular blog. Now she has four books and Food Network show. If she hadn't given that content away - FOR YEARS - she would not be in the position that she is in now.

Finally, he's partly right about one thing and he doesn't even know it. He mentions that libraries are not longer filled with "elite" content. This is increasingly true. But I think it's a bad thing. Libraries hold and discard based on circulation (if something isn't checked out, it's tossed). That is a travesty, IMO. I think that libraries should be repositories of knowledge for the public good. The dusty, unused books are the MOST important, not the least. If this policy continues, we are going to solidify our position as people who think the whole world was born yesterday. Libraries needn't be only for "elite" books. They can certainly house the spectrum. But they should be guardians of the "elite". But that's my opinion.

I haven't read the article but this is also not the first time I am hearing something like this. One of our local libraries have been cutting funding due to the economy. One of the moms in my homeschool group then suggested that we all pool our collective homeschool books together and let each other borrow from each other and not have to rely on govt funded library. While that sounds nice on the surface, she did not talk about how the books will be housed, who will be in charge, what will you do when people do not return borrowed items.

Our local library does more than just lend out books, they organize summer reading for the kids, do chess club, astronomy clubs, computer learning for older adults, etc all with the intent of getting kids reading all through the year.

We go to the library every week and check out between 30- 40 items most weeks. This is in addition to having a huge book collection at home. I can't even imagine homeschooling without the library. It is the only thing I can say the taxpayers are providing that I am making the most use of.

Our library is fairly good (nelson,NZ). The older members of the community complain about the noisy tourists (there is free wireless access so people sit in the library and Skype their friends etc). My only complaint is that they charge $2 to deserve a book and about $7 to get one from another library. The hours are reasonable though not as good as in a larger city and the kids programmes are ok. Some of schools use it instead of having their own library and a lot of kids depend on it for computer use.

I've got to say that I don't understand this one. There is a lot involved in being a librarian, being well-read, for example, but a master's degree?

Actually, being well read has absolutely nothing to do with it. I personally know lots of librarians who have nothing to do with books or reading.

My husband has a Master's degree in Library Science. He is the electronic services librarian for a major research library. He is also in charge of parts of their inter-library loan system, supervises several staff and manages a large budget.

My sister also has an MLS. She is a Health Services Librarian. It is her job to teach all the university students in a health related field how to do research in their field. She also provides research support to the professors and maintains a large health related collection for the university. She also has a second Master's degree in public health, as required by her university.

Now you could argue that neither one of them needed that specific degree to do their specific jobs. But, that is a larger argument. Do teacher's need a master's degree (or BA) in education? Does an RN need a Master's in Nursing? I don't know. But they are all challenging jobs that require a lot of dedication and a wide variety of skills.

Librarians are more and more computer people. My husband builds and maintains information databases, he studies how people search and what they need and looks for ways to supply it in a better way. It is a fairly technical job. Nothing to do with books.

Word Nerd, on 16 February 2013 - 06:11 AM, said:

His biggest complaint is all the royalties he is missing out on by being so popular in libraries. Although I think he has a point to an extent, he can't claim all of those check-outs as missed sales. If I didn't have library access, I simply wouldn't read as much or would buy more used books; I definitely wouldn't buy all the titles I'm interested in, as I couldn't afford to.

well, I guess he has only himself to blame that he's not a better writer that people actually want to *own* his books.

We have the absolute best library system in the country (it's actually been voted that!) and it shows. We just got a branch 5 minutes from our house and it is our new living room. :001_smile: I am constantly bumping into neighbors there as well as a lot of strangers, of course. We have lots of books there and fill our suitcase with them. There are lots of other programs available too but I go there primarily for the books - and their nice clean study room.

Jean and I have the same fabulous library system. I am also eligible for a Seattle Library card (and have had it since I was 6). With the two systems, it's library lovers' nirvana here. Both systems are busy and very up to date tech wise.

I think it is a local thing. Libraries are dead or dying in some places but in many others they are thriving. Our system here runs off voter approved levies. We consistently pass these levies and we have the resource to show for it.

Yes, I believe librarians are required to have a Masters in Library Science. Not particularly lucrative, but there it is.

And I am not so sure it is not 'lucrative'. It depends on your field. If you are a public school librarian, and I mean a true librarian and not an aide, then you will possibly earn as much as a teacher, I don't really know exactly. If you are a librarian at a public library then you will earn a professional salary. Many public libraries have only a couple actual librarians. The director of a library is usually a librarian. Our small college city pays our public library director about 140,000 a year. She came to us from running a state school library system. She is more fundraiser/CEO than anything else. My dh estimates our local library (which is pretty big) has about 10 librarians and they prob start around 40,000 a year. It is a civil service job so it is easy to find out.

My dh is an academic librarian and earns less than faculty at the university but more than a public school librarian. It is enough to support our family.

Being a librarian is a great job. I encourage people to look into the field. It is NOT putting books on shelves. It is a job that involves staff supervision, budgeting, technology, research, marketing. It is a field with a lot of variety.

I've got to say that I don't understand this one. There is a lot involved in being a librarian, being well-read, for example, but a master's degree?

FWIW, the people you see helping people check out and reshelving books are generally not the librarians. Librarians have much more technical jobs than it would seen from the outside looking in.

His biggest complaint is all the royalties he is missing out on by being so popular in libraries. Although I think he has a point to an extent, he can't claim all of those check-outs as missed sales. If I didn't have library access, I simply wouldn't read as much or would buy more used books; I definitely wouldn't buy all the titles I'm interested in, as I couldn't afford to. He also failed to acknowledge that libraries have helped give him the success he has had. I can't even count the number of authors I never would have known about had I not discovered one of their books at the library. How many sales has he received as a direct result of a new fan's discovery of his work at a library?

Yeah. Our library prints on the receipt that you saved some really high amount of money so far this year.

And I just go "Yeah. I wouldn't have SPENT that money anyway. So I haven't saved that much using you."

Wow, I am so sorry for people who have such poor libraries -- such a shame! Our libraries ROCK! We have access to three counties' systems, each with several branches, and they're all wonderful. It's rare that I can't find what I want at one of them, and they're generally happy to order from across the state for me. The librarians are friendly and helpful, especially at the teeny-tiny branch closest to our house. If I have any complaints, it would be that the popular books (like Star Wars and other similar books, many of which are not high quality, either in form or content) are too much front and center, rather than classic, high-quality literature. The one big branch has more computers and non-book activities than I would prefer, but it's also a beautiful, cheerful space, and it makes for a lovely place to take several children to play for a few hours; I can sit in the corner on a comfy couch with the baby, and all of my other kids can find something fun to do -- books, toys, computers, etc. They even have a halfway decent selection of e-books and downloadable audiobooks (which is a particular boon for my DH, who has a lengthy commute and long working hours, so being able to download audiobooks from home when it's convenient for him is really helpful).

No, I don't think good libraries have had their day. Far from it.

Being a librarian is a great job. I encourage people to look into the field. It is NOT putting books on shelves. It is a job that involves staff supervision, budgeting, technology, research, marketing. It is a field with a lot of variety.

From what I see it's nice work if you can get it and that is a big fat IF. I know 2 experienced librarians who have had to conduct nationwide, will move anywhere, job searches lasting 2 years or so to get a new job in their field. And the new grads in know have been unable to get even an aides job unless they are very specialized and work in law or corporate fields. The law librarians are JDs and MLISs. It is a hard row to hoe.

I am going to reply to all the comments about librarians having a masters degree, before someone blasts me please remember I haven't lived in the UK that long.

I am pretty confident that none of our local librarians have a degree remotely related to library science but they do make up for it by their level of interest in what we need. Pretty sure they all sort of fell into it through part time work. They truly know what is happening in our village and have helped our family settle into our new life in many ways. We met them first.;)

I am going to continue a bit...

The computers are used. Frequently all three of them. The book selection is not large--it is part of what was a 25 branch system with one large library covering our area. Interlibrary loan works well. I pay 20p per book. After I got used to it I don't mind. Th kids interlibrary for free. It really is the place to go for information in our village. When the bus routes changed they got all the seniors straightened out and on the right bus. Lovely people.

We pay £2 for a week dvd rental I think. Not a service we use often. Once again it is the only place to rent dvds for miles (unless you count the next villages library 3 miles away). Once again a needed service but not free. They also run some great events for everyone.

I know the area where this author was speaking. About 2 hours north of us. Can't believe his library isn't a similar set up. We belong to a couple of other library systems for neighboring areas and they all operate about the same from what I can see.

From what I see it's nice work if you can get it and that is a big fat IF. I know 2 experienced librarians who have had to conduct nationwide, will move anywhere, job searches lasting 2 years or so to get a new job in their field. And the new grads in know have been unable to get even an aides job unless they are very specialized and work in law or corporate fields. The law librarians are JDs and MLISs. It is a hard row to hoe.

That big fat IF seems to apply to most jobs these days, don't you think? Living in a college town, I don't think there is anything unusual about people having to move to find a job after getting a degree. That seems to be the norm. There are lots of college and post degree folks who spend a lot of time looking for a job. There are also fields that are drying up. Selectors seem to be going away, for example. Too bad too, because I would have made an awesome selector.

DH already worked in a library for a couple years before he went back to school. There are distance study programs for an MLS degree. He had to leave for two weeks for 'boot camp' in the summer and then do his papers etc for the rest of the semester. He also had to do an internship at a different library while working full time. It was an intense couple years, lol.

The law librarians earn a pretty penny for being so qualified. The joke is that they ruin the curve. The university will do a study about librarian salary averages and the law librarians all bump up the average by quite a bit. It only takes a few earning twice what everyone else makes to pull up the average.

Guest Da#1Gal

I for one love our Library!

And definitely Disagree with this author.

Although I have a few overdue books.. :laugh:

I do hope our Libraries stay where they are for a long time!

:party:

That big fat IF seems to apply to most jobs these days, don't you think? Living in a college town, I don't think there is anything unusual about people having to move to find a job after getting a degree.

I don't think all fields have as slender of job pickings as library science. There are many professional fields that have MUCH better hiring forecasts than MLIS. The average job search in my field is less than 8 weeks for those with experience. My husband is in school again now and his current employer will hire him in his new skill set immediately after graduation. Finding a professional level library job is tough according to the working and searching librarians I know. I would not get an MLIS in this economy unless I had a sub specialty. I know one couple where he's a journalist and she's a librarian and they are super fortunate to have jobs in the same state at any given time.

We had good library options where we lived in PA. We had a local library that wasn't as accommodating as I would have liked. I was reading to three children at the time, one of whom could read to herself but wasn't old enough to be registered for homeschooling. I was told that I couldn't request an educator card and get more books until we had something from a school showing that we were registered homeschoolers. You don't need to register in PA until your child is 8. We were maxing out our cards every week, and occasionally the checkers in the children's room would let us go over by a book or two. We still had to tell the children every week that we couldn't take out some of the books they wanted.

We also had access to the Allegheny/Carnegie library system. Oh, I loved that one. It more than made up for the local PA library. They had almost everything I could ever want, and no limits. I would just sit and order books on every topic the kids wanted once a week. My husband would pick them up on his way home, since he worked near one of their branches. It was great. When I found out we were moving, I honestly mourned the fact that we wouldn't have that library to borrow from.

We finally have library cards here. The kids like a little class they take at our local library once a week, but the book selection is pretty small. We also just got Cincinnati cards. I'm reserving judgment there. We were told that you can request books and have them sent to the library you want to pick up at, but I have things I requested two weeks ago that haven't been pulled from the shelves. We go downtown and to other areas in the city occasionally, but my husband is able to stop into one particular branch at least once a week. If the books actually end up there, this will be worthwhile. Otherwise, it's only useful for books that have a high circulation and will get forwarded as they are returned. We'll see.

We also were frequent bookstore patrons in PA. They had a large $1 section of used juvenile paperbacks, frequent buy 1 get 1 free sales, and offered a free book to each kid on each visit. We'd spend $20 and leave with a stack of books. They sold some new books and could always make special orders, but we loved browsing their sale shelves. We haven't found a good place here yet, although one of the library bookstores might do. No matter how many used books we buy, we could never afford to buy books the way we borrow them. Libraries disappearing would mean I borrow less books. It wouldn't change how many we buy.

I work part time at our local library and it is jammed most times I'm there (I work evenings and Saturdays). We have a lot of people checking out books, movies, and music and many students coming to use the computers, printers, Internet, and group studay areas. We teach computer classes weekly and they fill up fast! We also have two meeting rooms where everyone from the Girl Scouts to the VA to a coin club and a local homeschool group meet; the rooms also get used for birthday parties and baby showers. With the economy how it is, our résumé assisting services, computer classes, test proctoring services, and tutoring connections are in great demand. I never realized the vast array of services provided by the library until I started working at one... and I was perfectly content with the free access to books, music, and movies!

Our patrons are so kind and generous and we receive thanks from most of them daily for being there for them. We love seeing them when they come in. It's like the new town square.

I am going to reply to all the comments about librarians having a masters degree, before someone blasts me please remember I haven't lived in the UK that long.

I am pretty confident that none of our local librarians have a degree remotely related to library science but they do make up for it by their level of interest in what we need. Pretty sure they all sort of fell into it through part time work.

I suspect that there will be one or two qualified librarians in your area, with overall responsibility for a group of libraries. The people who staff your library will not have the qualifications to run a library system, but that doesn't mean that they are not great at what they do.

There's a 'public good' aspect to libraries, as you describe, that can't be narrowed down to pennies spent/people educated. The same can be said of Post Offices in rural areas - I used to run one. Should the mail delivery service be subsidised? That can be argued over. But I talked to people who saw no one else all week; I tracked down a long-lost friend for an elderly lady who wanted to make sure her ashes would be scattered as she wished; I sorted out a mobile phone for a man who could not work it out; and I listened while a mother wept because she had been excluded from her son's wedding. Rural areas need services, and often that service is not about books or letters.

Laura

Joining back in after a lot of well-informed posts have gone up! . . . During the course of my master's studies, I was trained in management (of personnel, of resources, of finances). I learned basic archival techniques (but did not pursue that in depth). I achieved competency in as many library-related computerized activities and skills as existed in the mid-1980s. I learned how to pick up any book, pamphlet, phonograph record, photograph, movie, newspaper, or any other physical record of information -- to analyze the item for content, then correctly "diagnose and label" both organizational and content matter. (Dewey Decimal system, Library of Congress system, Library of Congress Subject Classification system, even some lesser-known systems) I was trained in all available (at the time) major resources to locate information of either general level or of specialized level. Correspondingly, we were trained in interpersonal transactions with library clients. How gently and effectively to elicit what the customer really is wanting to find. Much more coursework than all this, too!

While still in library school, I worked on a U.S. government project for the EPA as manager for the data entry team. (Only published book in the world with my name on it. :tongue_smilie: )

I held three professional positions that drew directly on my library degree. First was as the "Special Collections Cataloguer" at a university, working primarily with historical documents and books within a narrow subject. Next job was a promotion, both professionally and financially, when I served as the department head of serials at a college. Each of these jobs were faculty positions. The last "library" job was as head of a marketing research library for a major telecommunications firm. From that job, I left "library work" to become a Competitive Analyst for that same firm.

These are only some of the avenues open to a professional. Others have been discussed already.

Sadly, the poster who mentioned the dive in employment opportunities is correct. I have spoken with young adults newly-out of their professional programs, who have struggled valiantly, and unsuccessfully, to obtain work in their field, even when willing to move cross-country. I don't think this necessarily should deter someone from investigating and pursuing the field. Just be forewarned.

His biggest complaint is all the royalties he is missing out on by being so popular in libraries. Although I think he has a point to an extent, he can't claim all of those check-outs as missed sales.

Yes, it all seems to come down to money for him. There are probably some good arguments against libraries but you won't get many converts saying libraries should go away so you can make more money. I don't think they've had their day, but I do think they need to change in order to avoid becoming obsolete.

There are plenty of books I wouldn't buy but have checked out from the library. We do have a decent library system and I often use it for previewing books. If I find myself checking out a book repeatedly, I usually just go and buy it. Simply not having a book available at the library isn't enough to get me to buy it though.

Completely agree with this. I don’t think libraries are the cause of the demise of local bookstores, it’s Amazon.

Actually, big box bookstores pretty much killed local bookstores. Amazon is killing big box bookstores.

I also think he’s naive about the poor. There are people who depend on the library for books or for Internet use.

:iagree:

As for Horrible Histories, I thought ds would like them, but he didn't. I'm sure glad I checked a few out from the library and didn't actually buy them. :D