Menu

Libraries 'have had their day'

Oak Knoll Mom

I have a love/ hate relationship with our local library. I love that the Book Mobile has been visiting us for about 10 years now. I hate that we have a list of 94 items that are overdue..... but many were turned in and not showing up on our ticket. We are now on our 3rd book mobile librarian. She is the only one so far who is willing to work on this with me. The other 2 just kept re- checking out all of the books on their computer.

I just spent $50 on a few dvd, audio book, and books I know we lost or were destroyed. (Makes me so sad)

And I am stopping our kiddo's from checking anything out at all until this gets resolved.

I am glad the library has fine free days ( Tuesday and Saturday!)

I told our kids that if it is going to cost us alot to know I will be going to the Library on their late night to read and check out anything we "NEED"

There really is alot of garbage and fluff on the Book mobile anyway, and I have lost control of overseeing what everyone checks out. I feel like it is just time to let go and restore my reputation with the library anyway.

The last time I did visit was horrible. The lady in the Children's section told me that I had way too many items checked out!! I had none: BUT the bookmobile shows up there too, so all 10 of us had everything in my name under Home School.

I talked to the Director that night for a minute and she just laughed and said not to worrry about it. They were closing so I did not even go into my dilemma with her.

I get a much more educational selection at the library and even my requests from the book mobile either get ignored or come way too late.

They also do not come on any school breaks or snow days so it is really hit or miss. And it makes it tough to turn in our items on time when they do not show up.

Our library did purchase a bank across the street just for Geneology.

I look forward to a better year with our Library!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Laura, my quote function doesn't seem to be working so ....

There are a few degreed librarians at our central library. They are very much behind the scenes individuals with little interaction with the public. I did not mean no degrees anywhere in the system. I generally only go to that library once or twice a year because parking is difficult. My village branch which we go to practically daily has no one with a degree. I am not complaining, they do a fabulous job!

When I am in the states we have a branch libray down the street, not a central libray, there are at least two librarians with degrees working at that branch. They are also actively working with the public. It has been a similar situation everywhere we have lived in the US.

The library director at my local library does not have a masters degree, nor is he well read. The assistant librarian position requires no type of formal education. It's a very small library.

Same here. One is also borderline illiterate. I don't say this to bash, but it does make utilizing the library difficult if you ask for help and they can not spell, read, or pronounce the title of the book. We are rural. The college library director also only has an AS and not in a Library related field. She's very young. She's good, but my point is I just haven't seen the requirement for degrees for librarians anywhere near me.