Menu

First trip to Costco tomorrow, what do I NEED to check out?

ksr5377

Go at lunch time and take in all the food samples. :D

Yup, that. I had the yummiest cheesecake sample last week. SOOOOOO good...the kind of cheesecake that is super thick and heavy, yum.

I buy dog food, laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, frozen veggies (the fire roasted vegetables in balsamic butter sauce are YUMMY), frozen berries, sometimes organic butter. The organic strawberry jam is supposed to be really good.

Kirkland brand shampoo and conditioner, it is sulfate, paba and gluten free. Their fake Uggs are rumored to be true Uggs without the label. Their workout clothes are supposed to be lululemon dupes. I love their winter coats for kids. They have nice iron free men's dress pants and shirts. I love the kirkland brand of toilet paper ( i wont use any other brand). I always stock up on huge bags of almonds, moreys brand seasoned salmon, tilapia, fruits, veggies, organic classico pasta sauce, organic chicken, huge blocks of butter, and Greek yogurt. Be sure to check out the chocolate covered pom. seeds....so good for a treat.

If your family eats goldfish crackers, you want to get them at Costco--large box with three big sealed bags inside. Much cheaper than grocery store. Other regular items here:

Almonds

Cheese sticks, both string cheese and Precious Cheddar and Cheddar/Jack mix

Uncooked tortillas--very good and quesadillas are a staple in this house

contact lens solution for dh

vitamins

chobani yogurt

turkey sausage

meat--chicken breasts, flank steak, pork loin

vanilla, yeast, brown sugar, olive oil as needed

chicken teriyaki meatballs

kleenex

You can ask at the customer service desk for a coupon booklet if your friend doesn't have one. I know this month I plan to use coupons for kleenex, chobani yogurt, ziploc bags, and maybe the healthy choice fudgsicles!

I usually wander through the clothing section and will get stuff several times a year--swimsuits for kids (won't be there till February), exercise clothes for dh, jammies, etc.

Organic fresh spinach! A huge 1 lb tub for like $3.79. Depending on your family size, half and half and butter. Tillamook cheese. I love their refrigerated raviolis. Spices can be a great deal, as well as yeast. And if you've never had one, get a costco polish dog in the food court. It is $1.50 for a dog and a drink and comes with sauerkraut! I ONLY eat Costco hot dogs.

Those gilded, hardback classics if there's any left from Christmas. Lovely binding, ribbon bookmarks, multiple original works in one volume. What's not to love?

The fact that they were printed in China. :glare: I was so excited to see those, then had to put them back. I tried really hard to buy American this year.

Our fave's:

Milk, cheese, vitamins, lg bottles of ibuprofin, shave gel for dh, nuts (almonds, pistachios) dole fruit cups, coffee, spices, kirkland fruit and nut bars, kirkland toilet paper, fruits/veggies, dd loves their socks, books, and before we went gf- cereal, eggrolls.... I'm sure there's more, but those are fairly regular buys.

Put on tennis shoes and stroll through every section. I got beautiful dishes there. Sometimes they have good cookware... You just never know.

Food items - cheese, many different kinds at a good price

Olives

Fruit

Organic meat (our local Costco carries lots of organically, but that might to be true everywhere)

Ravioli (refrigerated ones, not the frozen)

Nuts

Avocados

Olive oil

Bread

My Costco Staples:

20ln bag of basmati rice

Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (used to be a 14oz bag but I think it is 13.5 now)

Frozen Food-There is always something interesting in there

Kirkland brand chocolate covered raisins

Almonds

Organic meat/poultry

Walk down every aisle, you never know what amazing bargain awaits you. But, know your prices. Some things are a better deal at the supermarket.

Kirkland brand tuna and salmon

Kirkland kleenex -- soft as Puffs

Kirkland bottled water

Sandwich wraps -- 12 for $8.99, I think

Garbage bags, kitchen bags, baggies

fresh rosemary bread

feta

endamame

really, everything is good

the meat is not cheap, but is excellent quality. I think I heard on the Food, Inc video that Costco was one of the first companies to demand certain cleanliness standards in meat. (If anynone remembers exactly, please correct/amplify.)

Bring a notebook and a pen. Take your time, stroll the aisles and write down the price and size of things you already use. Later you can compare the price per unit and see if Costco is cheaper or your local grocery store. There are somethings that are more expensive for me to buy at Costco then at NoFrills (our local grocery). I am in Canada and that could be the difference.

Duracell batteries

heads of romaine lettuce

organic apples

avocados

dish soap

dishwasher detergent

laundry detergent

oxyclean

foil

parchment paper (EXCELLENT price)

vitamins

allergy meds

I haven't bought many clothes from Costco, just socks and swimsuits. Girls' swimsuits are already for sale in Costco stores here.

My only Costco flop was flannel sheets. They pilled badly and some of the color bled into the white background area.

We usually buy a roasted chicken, and some fruits and veggies from the walk-in refrigerated section. Their mangoes are typically pretty good. The Kirkland vanilla ice cream is high quality. We like their uncooked tortillas. The caramel macadamia nut clusters are yummy! The frozen seasoned wild atlantic salmon is a regular on our menu. They have some nice cheese; we just tried the goat cheese with cranberries and cinnamon and it tasted like a less sweet cheesecake -- really good! Coastal cheddar is nice, too, and the shredded parmesan is always in our fridge. They have some nice vitamin choices. If you need glasses or contacts, we have had good experiences with the optometrist and the optical department there, and the photo department at our location does a nice job.

We buy 90% of our groceries from Costco!

Some items they have in their Kirkland brand that rival top competitors' brands:

Lamb and Rice Dog food

Kirkland coffee beans (brewed by Starbucks but half the price)

Organic salsa

Laundry detergent (works as well as Tide IMHO)

Their meats are all very good.

Their produce is excellent.

Kirkland brand diapers, wipes, chocolate chips, shredded cheese, butter, milk. Their bread is great and the new chia seed pita pockets are excellent for sandwiches. Roasted chickens.

Meat is not the cheapest you can find but it's cheaper and good quality.

Olive oil. Rice. Sugar. European style cookies and chocolate. Produce is good, but in huge quantities.

It's best to bring a notepad and calculator.

Over the years I've learned that Costco products vary from state to state. We live in the midAtlantic area.

We always buy

Half and half

Milk

Almond milk (Kirkland 3pk refrigerated cartons)

Eggs

Coffee beans (Kirkland, roasted by Starbucks, decaf)

Frozen vegetables (sometimes organic)

Baby carrots (organic)

Fresh fruit (mangoes, pineapples, berries in season)

Ibuprofen and acetaminophen

Generic allergy meds (Kirkland brand)

We sometimes buy

Roasted chicken

Pizza

Wild-caught salmon

Pork