Menu

Anyone not going gluten free?

JadeOrchidSong

It seems quite a lot of people are starting to go GF.

No one in my family is celiac diseased or gluten sensitive. So is it OK we just live as we alway have lived? Are there any compelling reasons or incentives for us to change to GF?

I experimented with reducing wheat flour and subbing with rice, millet, sorghum flour as well as tapioca starch. Although it is not hard to eat, I just would like to have the freedom to eat my old way. I read that it is beneficial to go GF even if one is not allergic to wheat. Sometimes one who does have celiac disease doesn't show any symptoms. I know I shouldn't worry about this, but I just can't put it out of my mind. Anyone else feel this way?

I'm not going gluten free. I have almost completely eliminated GM wheat from our lives though and brought in a lot of heritage wheat. I have to order a lot of it at once though because the nearest grower is 10hrs away. I don't see the sense in cutting wheat out of our diet when we don't have allergies in the house, but I'm always willing to work towards healthier living.

Funny, I've wondered the same... should I be going gluten-free, too??? Is it really that bad? And why is it that suddenly so many people are suffering from gluten? I am thankful that I can eat any way I want, for the most part. I went through a few years dairy free and boy was that tough. So I am thankful that I can now eat as I wish.

IMO any elimination diet is a personal thing and saying a certain food is bad for everyone is bizarre. I'm dairy free, but only because lactose and I are mortal enemies. I don't subscribe to the dairy is poison fear mongering, even though I think drinking of inter-species breast milk is a bit strange but that's a tangent for another day. I majored in fitness and nutrition so I've heard it all in various levels of heated discussion. If you don't react badly to gluten, why burden yourself with a restricted diet? That being said, if you have any unexplained symptoms that could be remotely caused by a food allergy or sensitivity, there's nothing wrong with going without to see if it changes anything for you. Many people don't know it's a food reaction if it's an atypical symptom.

Funny, I've wondered the same... should I be going gluten-free, too??? Is it really that bad? And why is it that suddenly so many people are suffering from gluten? I am thankful that I can eat any way I want, for the most part. I went through a few years dairy free and boy was that tough. So I am thankful that I can now eat as I wish.

One of my best friends is always doing the latest foodie fashion du jour. She's been gluten free for several years now, and she explained it to me (once; long ago; I may be rusty, and I wasn't paying super great attention) that they've changed how they've processed or made our wheat products. I want to guess in the last 40-50 years or so? She says that it's not gluten per se, it's whatever-they've-done-to-it that's causing more problems now than ever before. She also went off on a tangent about environmental exposure that is somehow related, but she lost me. I'm way too simple to get into that kind of meaty argument. I like my gluten, and my head in the sand.

I have a friend who is celiac, and I don't for a second doubt that there are a relatively small number of people with gluten sensitivities. That out of the way... this pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter (mild language).

I have a friend who is celiac, and I don't for a second doubt that there are a relatively small number of people with gluten sensitivities. That out of the way... this pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter (mild language).

That's awesome! I love it.

I recently did a gluten free trial for a naturopathic doctor who basically said that everyone could stand to go gluten free. (I'm no longer going to this naturopath.) Being gluten free did not help me. Going back on gluten did not hurt me. Being gluten free can set you up for nutritional deficiencies. This is unavoidable for those who have to be gluten free but they can help that issue with supplements. But I see no reason to restrict my diet when it doesn't need to be restricted.

Love the video!

I'm on a gluten-free diet by necessity -- have been for many years -- and can't imagine why anyone would restrict their lifestyle this way without a compelling reason. If there were any way I could go back to eating gluten, I would.

And I don't know where people are getting the idea that a gluten-free diet is inherently healthier. Wheat and rye are traditional foods in many parts of the world, and they have more nutrient value (protein, B vitamins, etc.) than the vast majority of alternative grains and starches, including brown rice. Never mind that store-bought GF products are mostly made of refined ingredients and weird additives. At our local Whole Foods, they sell a line of breads whose first ingredient is cornstarch. Some whole food that is! :glare:

Anyway, I've done a lot of reading on this subject, and for any foodstuff you might name, I can come up with at least one theory that claims it's toxic and should be avoided. Even broccoli. And garlic.

There's always breatharianism, but don't get me started on how polluted the air is...

Oct 1st - I went gluten free after my daughter had been bugging me a couple years

Nov 30th - I got this bright idea that I hadn't noticed a difference so wasn't gonna do it anymore.

Dec 2nd - going back GF because my tummy has been freaking out!

I chose to go GF because I have an autoimmune disorder. My daughter did because she has a joint issue. I can't see going GF just because. I have considered having our family go because we may do GF with 4 and 8yo boys so that will make FOUR of us doing it. May as well make it everyone at that point.

I was a little nervous this morning before I saw the responses. I am so glad I am not alone in not wanting to lose the freedom of having wheat. I LOVE making and eating stove top freshly ground wheat flatbread, Naan, and Chinese potstickers. Subbing with other flour (potato starch, tapioca flour, and white rice flour to name a few plus the expensive xanthum gum flour) is some work and money and the taste is altered, not to mention its lack of fiber. I should just be happy that we don't have to go GF.

On the other hand, if there were wheat sensitivity or celiac disease in my family and GF will make the difference of heaven and hell, I would not hesitate to do GF.

I can't handle carbs for the most part so I end up staying away from gluten. But my kids and hubby do fine with it. I'm more concerned about avoiding hormones, steroids, sugar and GMO foods. I can't do it all though. I buy organic protein, raw milk, etc but I can't buy all organic produce. It's just too expensive.

My very personal theory is because quite a bit of it is now GMO. They've tinkered with it and for some of us our bodies can't tolerate the tinkering.

One of my best friends is always doing the latest foodie fashion du jour. She's been gluten free for several years now, and she explained it to me (once; long ago; I may be rusty, and I wasn't paying super great attention) that they've changed how they've processed or made our wheat products. I want to guess in the last 40-50 years or so? She says that it's not gluten per se, it's whatever-they've-done-to-it that's causing more problems now than ever before. She also went off on a tangent about environmental exposure that is somehow related, but she lost me. I'm way too simple to get into that kind of meaty argument. I like my gluten, and my head in the sand.

I don't think it happened that far back. But I agree with everything else you said.

I have a few friends who have celiac disease or are otherwise gluten-intolerant. One friend has to live completely grain-free. They have real problems. That said, I haven't changed anything because we don't seem to have any troubles with it. Whenever I mention anyone having a digestive problem, someone is sure to say that we need to stop eating gluten.

It does seem to be 'fashionable" now to live gluten-free. I saw a Q&A in a magazine about it once, with a person asking if she should "follow the trend" and eliminate wheat/gluten from her diet. The answer was "not unless you have a reason to think you have a problem."

We don't have any plans any time soon to go gluten-free. Wheat-meat is served in our house at least once a week as we are vegetarians. I would be very interested in learning where to purchase heritage grains and non-GMO wheat along with how to grind it ourselves. But that would be for later when we are living on the farm. My current kitchen is not conducive to excessive preparation techniques. So I'll stick to buying KAF.

GF is a life saver for those of us with celiac disease. There are also plenty of people who are intolerant to gluten and going GF is beneficial to them. And I agree with Parrothead - most wheat as been tinkered with and is GM to the point that there seem to be more sensitivities than before. We also have a better check system in place with medical professionals who are more aware of celiac disease. Now, with that said, I can't see going GF just for the fun of it.

It does seem to be in vogue right now. In some ways it's great because it has made the public more aware and there are more choices in the grocery stores. We've even found some great organic and GF options in a walmart while on the road in a very small town that didn't have a Whole Foods or equivalent shopping.

It does seem to be in vogue right now. In some ways it's great because it has made the public more aware and there are more choices in the grocery stores. We've even found some great organic and GF options in a walmart while on the road in a very small town that didn't have a Whole Foods or equivalent shopping.

That is a really good point. It is also helpful to me as a person who sometimes cooks for others who have dietary restrictions. The last few years it's been much easier for me to find gluten-free items for guests who require it.

I generally feel pretty good, but sometimes struggle with fatigue-- I decided to experiment with going GF for a month last summer. I saw absolutely no difference in how I feel, so assume I don't have a problem with gluten. I think the fatigue is more age related than anything else. :D

Celiac disease runs in my family, and while I don't have it, I'm mostly GF because it does cause some problems for me (migraines and cystic acne! :svengo: ).

I think it's ridiculous to suggest that everyone be GF, but I'm glad there's awareness about it, for people (unlike me - I can usually handle the random slice of bread) who cannot tolerate it at all.

For people with celiac disease and intolerance, it's that bad, but only for them. It can interfere with nutrient absorption and lead to serious complications if left untreated.

:iagree: My dd has celiac disease and I get really pissed with the number of people who treat gf as if it's just the lastest hot new diet trend to lose weight! I work at the circ desk at the library and check out a lot of materials to people who just "want to lose a few pounds" and tell me that "gluten is so bad for your system" when they then tell me that they have no known issues w/gluten.It reminds me of the low carb trend a few years ago. So many people I know jumped onto that bandwagon when carbs weren't their issue at all if they'd done a little research.

I thought I would be the last one on earth to go gf. I worship bread. Fantasize about it. I used to make homemade kneaded by hand bread daily and had a binder (bigger than my hs papers!) of recipes I used.

Then my dd got diagnosed with profound Hashimoto's and puked daily for a year, and my 4 yo had digestive issues that were very very bad, to put it mildly. I found paleo and realized going gf didn't have to be *that bad*. I had been dairy free for kid allergy reasons for most of the last 7 years, so I knew the drill. Our doctor suggested going gf for both even though my 8 yo's celiac panel was questionably negative. Her IgG was off the charts. I cut out gluten because of my sensitive stomach and sluggish thyroid and to show my girls it wasn't that bad. Wow. Life changing. I dropped all of the extra weight, my ppd became manageable, my dd's thyroid levels are now controllable, and dd's digestive issues are *gone*. So I'm a believer. Dh was extremely skeptical and just cut gluten last month. His diabetes is so much better now. His insulin injections are a fraction of what they used to be. I still have two non-gf kids, but one of these days I may have them try it. I know very few people who are gf. Only one in-law IRL. Even people I know IRL with Celiacs don't always go gf because they are "asymptomatic". So I think it just gets a lot of publicity online.

We don't have any plans any time soon to go gluten-free. Wheat-meat is served in our house at least once a week as we are vegetarians. I would be very interested in learning where to purchase heritage grains and non-GMO wheat along with how to grind it ourselves. But that would be for later when we are living on the farm. My current kitchen is not conducive to excessive preparation techniques. So I'll stick to buying KAF.

Grinding my own wheat really hasn't taken much more room or time. We store the wheat under my sons bed and I usually just throw it in the grinder as I am mixing the first ingredients up. The grinder is super noisy, but fairly small.

I do warn people that it takes some time and practice to make good sandwich bread if they are using Emmer.

We're not. None of us have Celiac or are sensitive to gluten. I think when people jump on the latest food fashion, they cause problems for those who really do have a condition that requires them to give up whatever everyone is giving up. People don't see their disease/condition as real.

And why is it that suddenly so many people are suffering from gluten?

There are many theories, but as far as I know there are no studies have pinpointed a reason.

There are many theories, but as far as I know there are no studies have pinpointed a reason.

Certainly more are saying there are, and with heightened awareness I think it's reasonable to assume there is a higher rate of people who have celiac, milder allergies (assuming those with severe allergies are and were easier to identify), and gluten sensitive idiopathic neuropathy being successfully diagnosed. This is great, but I suspect every success story serves to bolster the "if it's bad for some, it must be bad for all" crowd.

Youngest DD has non-celiac gluten intolerance. She was off-the-charts small until I switched her and then had a rapid "catch-up" weight and height gain. She is GF. The other kids and I tried it for 6 months but then for budget reasons we needed to stop. None of us noticed any particular difference. We do eat quite a bit less gluten than before but only youngest DD is GF.

Certainly more are saying there are, and with heightened awareness I think it's reasonable to assume there is a higher rate of people who have celiac, milder allergies (assuming those with severe allergies are and were easier to identify), and gluten sensitive idiopathic neuropathy being successfully diagnosed. This is great, but I suspect every success story only serves to bolster the "if it's bad for some, it must be bad for all" crowd.

I wonder if more people are getting Celiac/gluten sensitivity, or more are being diagnosed with it. I don't know the answer. Since none of us has an issue with it, I don't pay close attention. I was just wondering out loud.

I don't think it happened that far back. But I agree with everything else you said.

I was guessing 40-50 years because I thought she tied in WW2/post-WW2 advances into how/why they started messing with the food supply.

But admittedly, she was discussing it like it was her dissertation and I faded in and out LOL. I suppose it wouldn't surprise me to discover it was more recent than that :)

Bread with gluten is my favorite food group. If we had problems, I would eliminate it. We don't. I cannot imagine the lives of people with a gluten intolerance. My life wouldn't be complete without gluten.

I could live alone on crusty bread dripping with butter. Well and some kind of booze :lol:

We don't have a problem with gluten

I love (wheat) bread and always will. The only issue for me is to make sure I also eat fruit, greens and beans and not just bread. Personally I don't think gluten is a big deal apart from celiac disease as long as you eat wheat products in moderation and have lots of fresh produce and greens. Wheat is very calorie dense so it's easy to go overboard.

I was guessing 40-50 years because I thought she tied in WW2/post-WW2 advances into how/why they started messing with the food supply.

But admittedly, she was discussing it like it was her dissertation and I faded in and out LOL. I suppose it wouldn't surprise me to discover it was more recent than that :)

I just didn't think we had the tech that far back. But maybe so.

Oh good, I am not the only one not deciding to go glutton free....and don't plan too, but it looks like many of the moms in our AHG troop are :)....

Hmmmm....there are undoubtedly people who are glutton sensitive or alergic to glutton, but to be honest it's becoming a diet hype / fad now, like many others....remember when everyone was doing Atkins / South Beach....or the Metabolife days....the fat free / low fat fad of the 90's and eat more bread....I am only 28, so that's just what I remember, but....no.....not going gluton free endless we need to for legitimate health reasons.

I have a theory that 'some' folks feel better when they go GF because they're forced to make something other than grains the base of their diet. Let's face it, plain rice just isn't as delicious as plain bread, so people naturally eat more meats and veggies. I imagine that akone could make someone 'feel better.'

Just a theory . . . NOT giving up bread. I feel fine. BTW, I LOVED the video.

I wonder if more people are getting Celiac/gluten sensitivity, or more are being diagnosed with it. I don't know the answer. Since none of us has an issue with it, I don't pay close attention. I was just wondering out loud.

I think part of it may be that there has been actual research done and changes made to what foods are available. There may have been people with celiac disease or gluten intolerance back in the day (I only remember hearing about it in 2001 because of my stepdad) who were never diagnosed because it wasn't a thing doctors looked for or knew about and there was not much they could do to avoid gluten in what processed foods were available.