Menu

What is your budget per child for Christmas?

ksr5377

$25-35 each for two kids. But I also get to pick the presents my aunt and mother spend on the kids, about $50 more (for them together.)

That's about us too. I would love to spend more, but that is not going to happen. Besides it's not our birthday!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always done $100 per child spread over 3 gifts. This year I upped it to $140, but seeing the responses I wonder what you are buying your kids???? I could spend more most years but we don't. We keep it very simple.

One electronic gadget would take up most of your budget. (Not that we buy many or any every year, but I'm just saying . . .)

It looks like your kids are pretty young yet, which makes it easier to keep down costs. It gets tougher to buy a teenager anything he or she might be excited about for $30 or $40. I'm not saying it's not do-able. Mine both love getting new books, for example, but it does get more challenging.

Even practical stuff like clothing for teens is more expensive. As part of his "big present" last year, we gave our son a $100 gift card for JC Penney's so he could buy clothes. He had a rough time getting three pieces for that $100. (Of course, this depends on the teen. My daughter is perfectly happy to shop for funky stuff at thrift stores and could come home with arms full of stuff for $100. But I can't do that for gifts for her, because she really needs to be on hand to find things she likes and try on everything.)

Less than $100, probably around $75 total, stocking stuffers and all. Grandparents do buy for ours but it would be the same regardless, our amount of money to budget doesn't change depending on how much they spend(generally I've begged them to keep it small). I see what we have and then we try to pick something they want in that range.

It varies wildly per kid. All GW wants for Christmas is a 1000 pack of pipe cleaners and a pair of scissors for a grand total of maybe $30 if I get 2 boxes of pipe cleaners. Really, he makes his own toys and likes it that way. Geezle would like the entire toy catalog, but will settle for some hot wheels, transformers and model cars. He'll get one toy each on St. Nicholas, Solstice, Christmas and 3 Kings, so I'll spend about $100. Trinqueta wants cash, she prefers to buy her own stuff and saves her money faithfully so she's usually got the funds when she wants something specific. She'll get $100.

ETA: I never buy clothes or school stuff for Christmas. It's all superfluous fun stuff.

We really don't have a budget. Not because we don't need to plan, but because after we fixed the furnace last month, there is nothing left over. I've spent the last 2 months crafting like crazy, and tomorrow is my first craft fair. Thankfully, we have crafting material all over the place at our house, so we haven't spent any money in preparing for it. Whatever I make is what we'll have to spend for Christmas. Oh, plus we'll also have the homemade gifts (that will hopefully be done in time,...), and whatever items we're able to swap for our hsing books.

Good luck at the craft fair tomorrow!!!

It went from $30 to $150 when we were blessed by a friend last week.

Wow -- what a great friend!!! :hurray:

Not sure about this year. Usually, it is about $150, not counting stockings, St Nicholas Day, or Three Kings Day. I will go higher if there is something that I feel is really good - a $200 plus chemistry set one year (plus other more toy-type gifts), bicycles, camping gear, etc.

I know both kids (age 12) would like their own 32 or 64GB iPads, but that is out of the question.

This year, I am in a real quandary. I have no ideas, other than books, which I will get, of course. But dc get books throughout the year, and I would like to add something special. HOWEVER, having just de-clutterd the basement -- far too many toys, unplayed or seldom played games, used-once little science kits, etc -- I am loathe to bring more stuff into the house, just because it is Dec 25. Dv have not asked for anything (except books).

So, I may end up spending less this year. Maybe a homemade gift certificate in case they want anything during the year. I don't want to 'take advantage' just because dc are not asking for much.

More than I've seen anyone post but I'm not saying numbers. I already ordered dd a gymnastics bar and that thing with the mats costs me a huge chunk. The grandparents spend probably the same as we do. WE are kind of Christmas freaks around here. Not just the presents. I mean it starts the day after Halloween.

We usually try to get each of our 3 kids one gift in the $75-$100 range, plus stocking stuff that adds up to about $40/kid. This year I did get them each a Slanket (I like to keep the house cool (cold, according to the kids)) so I'll put those under the tree as well and have everyone open them first! Thankfully, I ordered an extra one so I could get free shipping and I will let mil have it. I'm content to put on a sweater!

This year is a bit tricky though because we got younger ds a guitar ($100), but neither of the other 2 kids wanted anything around that price. Dd wants a Babycakes Cake Pop maker, so I got her that with some accessories that will add up to nearly $60 (awesome sales - I love Kohls!). Older ds wants to go to a couple of upcoming concerts. Problem is, concert tickets to a big concert will be about $100, but we need 2 so dh can go with him. So, we're looking at smaller venues where the tickets are $20-$30 each. I'm thinking of wrapping the tickets for that up in a band t-shirt and similar stuff.

I could easily go overboard on stuff for all my kids, especially the boys whose lists are looooong.

around 50 bucks...but it is flexible. if the need for a more expensive item is reasonable, we spend more. this year DDis getting a bike...obviously more than 50 bucks. a couple of years ago she got a DSlite...

the DSs are still little enough that 50 bucks is a good gift.

they all have birthdays around the holiday as well, that means another gift, so it all averages out.

excuse the typing NAK

I should not have read this thread. :crying:

Our budget this year is $50/child, and that includes one big gift to go under the tree, stocking stuffers (a couple bags of candy split up between the three stockings and five items each from the dollar gift bins at walmart), and one homemade gift in the stocking from Santa.

No gifts for my husband or I (maybe some candy in the stocking, though) unless the church gives my husband a Christmas bonus...but that is about as likely as pigs flying by outside my schoolroom window.... :laugh:

We don't set an amount. It varies from year to year. This year is a big year; they are getting experiences/trips, which is costing a bit more than we normally spend but less than most electronics.

My husband and I don't buy gifts for each other, and our Christmas list is very short so we spend a little more on our kids when we can.

I start my shopping early! If we waited until the Christmas season, we'd never be able to fit it in.

Our budget this year is $50/child, and that includes one big gift to go under the tree, stocking stuffers (a couple bags of candy split up between the three stockings and five items each from the dollar gift bins at walmart), and one homemade gift in the stocking from Santa.

No gifts for my husband or I (maybe some candy in the stocking, though) unless the church gives my husband a Christmas bonus...but that is about as likely as pigs flying by outside my schoolroom window.... :laugh:

I'm sorry. I know that threads like this can certainly make others feels bad. My family has had bigger Christmases and smaller Christmases, so I do understand. Just wanted to give you a :grouphug: .

More than I've seen anyone post but I'm not saying numbers. I already ordered dd a gymnastics bar and that thing with the mats costs me a huge chunk. The grandparents spend probably the same as we do. WE are kind of Christmas freaks around here. Not just the presents. I mean it starts the day after Halloween.

You aren't alone. We are Christmas freaks here too! We spend a lot more than the amounts mentioned here, and my kids get a lot more presents than are mentioned too. I know that some might approve in that respect, but that's ok. We all do what is right for our own families. :001_cool:

It will probably be 300-350 for each of the four kids. The kids usually start letting us know around August if there is somethihg that they really want. That way I can be on the look out for a good deal and adjust the budget if necessary. This is the first year that all four kids have a high dollar item that they would like so we had to adjust our budget a little. Our youngest wants an ipod touch. She has never had anything electronic but loves music and wanted something that would let her keep track of her 4H projects and club meetings. Our third son wants a kindle. Our second son has one and our third is always wanting to borrow it. He has tracking issues and has found that it is easier for him to read on a kindle. Our 2nd son is getting a letterjacket. He is homeschooled but ran cross country for our local high school. He lettered this year, as a freshman, and wanted a letterjacket. We have opted to get him the more expensive version since it is warmer and will be with him throughout high school- our oldest has an identical one and we are glad we went with that one. Our oldest does not have anything on his list but thought it might be a good idea to start getting a few things to have for college. We will probably get him a tv that can be linked up wirelessly but have not decided for sure on that.

Each kid also gets a lego set every year along with some of their favorite candies and pop. Usually we get each one some clothes, nice toiletries, a book or devotional, and other odds and ends. We also get something that deals with a project or activity that they want to work on- cake decorating supplies, sewing items, artist pencils and canvas, shoe polish, laces, and insoles, nutrional guides, mini tools, informational manuals, etc.

There is no way that we could afford to pay for everything if I waited until November/December to shop. I shop all year and try to pick up gift cards here and there throughout the year to help pay for the gifts. My extended family usually does a small token item for each kid less than $5 or handmade. My inlaws try to give the kids each a nice practical or useful item- electric razor, sports gear, books, gift cards, etc. My husband and I usually spend about $100 and get little things for each other- our anniversary is Dec. 17th so our gifts are for both. There were years when all we could do was $25 for the kids but those years were just as good as the years when we had more.

I just love watching my kids open their gifts. That's even more exciting to me than getting stuff for myself.

I think it is a rather personal question though. I realize people are free not to answer it, but I don't generally tell people stuff like this.

That is my favorit part. You could buy them a rag and some chapstick, wrap it in Christmas paper and they would freak out over it.

This would be me if we had the funding to do it. We don't do toy/fun purchases throughout the year and I would give anything to be able to go crazy at Christmas time. Maybe someday.

I guess it is usuallly around $100 for each of our 4 kids. This year I have spread it out, decided to do more garage/consignment sale shopping for presents, and books from this site! It doessn't have to be new to make them happy!

We did do a Wishlist on Toysrus.com for family so there are no duplicate presents from family.

I am amazed at how much peoplestated they spend on their kids.

We don't really do per child. We shove money into a Christmas account and whatever is in there by November becomes the budget. Usually more for the older kids and less for the younger. We do a group gift too. I try to get at least one thing that is actually on their lists and then one outfit. And everybody gets socks and underwear in their stocking; it's become a family gag now. I honestly think they'd be disappointed to not get their undies.

That is my favorit part. You could buy them a rag and some chapstick, wrap it in Christmas paper and they would freak out over it.

ONce I gave my kids a bowl of beans and lots of tools to play in it with (because I had given it to their little sister to amuse herself, and they took it over). I am telling you, they had a BLAST. Better than any fandangled thingamajig I could have spent hundreds on (which we have done).

Really, after you do something like that...you wonder why you ever did spend all that money. I sat there amazed and said I wish I knew beans would have made them happy sooner.

It's why I say again and again, it's the experience, not the stuff.

**it was an additional gag type gift, because they kept taking their sister's beans... I had threatened them with buying them beans for Xmas, and I followed through with it--the joke was on me.

ONce I gave my kids a bowl of beans and lots of tools to play in it with (because I had given it to their little sister to amuse herself, and they took it over). I am telling you, they had a BLAST. Better than any fandangled thingamajig I could have spent hundreds on (which we have done).

Really, after you do something like that...you wonder why you ever did spend all that money. I sat there amazed and said I wish I knew beans would have made them happy sooner.

It's why I say again and again, it's the experience, not the stuff.

**it was an additional gag type gift, because they kept taking their sister's beans... I had threatened them with buying them beans for Xmas, and I followed through with it--the joke was on me.

That is funny and cute.

My kids get more excited to go shopping for me than anything else. And looking at Christmas lights. They want to do that every night.

I know it's hard, but please don't let it get to you. We've been like that for years, and really, it's only recently that we've had more than something like $50/kid for the holidays. And really it's only because we opened this Christmas account at our credit union. We set it up and forget about it. Two years ago, we ended up having to raid it for two back tires sometime in June and ended up on the short end.

Between handmaking things, picking up things on supersales, and very good secondhand, we end up doing pretty good. Would it help if you tried something similar? I keep spot where I just store things I find or pick up when it's a great price. When the holidays (or a birthday ) come around, I can shop from what I have stored. If my kids outgrow it or aren't interested in something anylonger, it makes a good donation for toys for tots or whatever. You wouldn't believe what I picked up after Easter! Tons of things were discounted like crazy that would be high right now since toys get pushed at Easter too.

Just to throw out some ideas that have worked for us. We also don't wrap things under the tree for the kids and that saves money, but that can be extreme for people.

Growing up my mom spent way too much on our presents, but she sort of has a spending/shopping problem in general. So that's part of the reason I tend to stick to a smaller budget. Right now it's $100 per kid, but I imagine that amount will increase a little as they get older. We also have a fairly large family so I feel like they get more than enough at Xmas and birthdays anyway. And in my experience, the more expensive toys sit around collecting dust after the novelty has worn off. A $10 box of Hot Wheels goes a long way in this house.

You budget what you can afford without going into debt, and that amount will vary for each family.

:iagree:

I am giving my kids a big box of clearance Playmobil that I bought in June for $50 (thanks to a thread here!). They will share it. I bought them a nativity book to share. And I'll snag a few small things for stockings, about $10/kid. Works out to approx. $30 per child. They have so much stuff already!

They will be getting other stuff from their dad (we're divorced), but from me, that is what I can afford, so that's what they get. :)

Holy cow! This thread makes me feel guilty. lol I'm not sure how much my kids will get this year. We've applied to a couple of charitable organizations to help us out but haven't heard back from them yet. Hopefully, that goes through. I'm trying to focus more on experiences than presents since we don't have any $ for Christmas. Things like hot chocolate and looking at Christmas lights, Christmas movies snuggled in tight together, etc. This is the first year that I won't be able to spend at least $100 on them.

Holy cow! This thread makes me feel guilty. lol I'm not sure how much my kids will get this year. We've applied to a couple of charitable organizations to help us out but haven't heard back from them yet. Hopefully, that goes through. I'm trying to focus more on experiences than presents since we don't have any $ for Christmas. Things like hot chocolate and looking at Christmas lights, Christmas movies snuggled in tight together, etc. This is the first year that I won't be able to spend at least $100 on them.

Please check out THIS thread!!! There are more elves than there are families!

Our budget is $80 a kid, which doesn't include a new pair of pj's or stockings. Stockings will probably run another $30 each (the oldest 3 will each get a $10 iTunes card, their favorite body soap, and maybe a ticket to see the Hobbit) We won't spend the full amount on the 1 or 3 year old. And we don't get gifts for each other.

My husband used to get socks and underwear as a kid, but he found that to be pretty upsetting so he talks about that now. So one year I joked to the kids that that's what they are getting. So I did wrap some up because I wanted to see their reaction. They didn't have a bad reaction at all. Go figure.

I have a horrible time getting ideas out of one of my nephews. ONe year I told him if he couldn't come up with any suggestions he was going to get coal. 2 days before Christmas he still couldn't think of anything he wanted (I think he was 11 or 12 at the time). So I wrapped up a bucket full of charcoal I found in my parents garage. It's become our standing joke. Every year he gets some kind of coal (even if he does come up with ideas), usually some kind of candy. I found a recipe (I think someone posted it here) about making coal rice krispie treats. So that will be his "coal" this year.

We go way over the top for our kids now..but we are the only ones that buy for our kids and we don't do credit cards so I don't feel guilty about doing it.

When my DH was still getting his PhD, a lot of Christmas would get charged..but we would spend a lot less then...around 150 per kid.

I like to shop and am always on the lookout for a great deal all year long.

You budget what you can afford without going into debt, and that amount will vary for each family.

I agree. I'm sure that the amounts spent by each family on this board vary WIDELY. No one should feel guilty for what they spend (be it on the low end or the high end) if the amount works for their family and doesn't cause any hardship or debt.

The problem with my kids is that they don't play with toys. They want adult toys and gadgets. That stuff is expensive. If I could go to Walmart and buy one a Barbie and the other some Knex it would be so much cheaper and easier.

This is my Quince, he wants a 3DS and games, a guitar, a real camera, and a Kindle Fire HD. Emma doesn't want the guitar, but does want a Kitchen. Then hubby announces that they need a new Trampoline, instead of a gift for him. This is getting big, really fast.

Well our budget just got shot to bits with an unexpected tax bill :glare:

My kids are young though and would be thrilled with a packet of balloons and some pipecleaners :laugh: (Must remember to add those to shopping list)

Luckily for me I had a few things on layaway already - just finished paying off a swimming pool before the bill came.

My kids lists are modest - DD wants a Lalaloopsy doll and a barbie, DS1 wants a car, and DS 2 - well he wants an ipad but will settle for a firetruck and a stuffie dalmation puppy :rofl:

Last year I bought my kids the few things they asked for plus a ton of stuff they didn't. Guess what they played with all year - only the few things they asked for. SO this year I am not getting them anything they didn't ask for - well except for the pool but they will love that.

It helps that my kids don't watch commercial tv so they don't know half the stuff that is available. :hurray:

The problem with my kids is that they don't play with toys. They want adult toys and gadgets. That stuff is expensive. If I could go to Walmart and buy one a Barbie and the other some Knex it would be so much cheaper and easier.

Exactly. I'm kind of glad we are past the toys.

DS does collect Legos. But he does not play with them. He keeps all the boxes. He labeled his shelves "Do Not Touch Display" so no kids could possibly mistake them for toys.

Last year we got them iPads. I'm still stuck on what to get ds

About $25-35 per kid at the moment and the limit is two gifts from mom and dad. They'll also get a present each from grandparents, aunts/uncles and a couple of close family friends. So in the end, they do end up with quite a few presents. We try to give a big present (around $100) at birthday time (this year Ladybug got a balance bike). To be honest since Itsy is pretty happy with a cardboard box at the moment, all this only applies to Ladybug.

At one point we had actually thought about saving all the purchases that they need throughout the year for Christmas (clothes, books, school/craft supplies) but I don't think that's going to work out because that requires way too much organization/foresight on my part.

167336942373980732_q9oCaSzR_c.jpg

http://pinterest.com/pin/96827460708034335/

Not much this year. Not sure exactly how much but it's going to be low. Luckily, my parents spend a lot ($150/kid) and between them and the IL's, the kids are getting almost everything they really want. At least, any of the things we would have gotten them (ds wants a Nintendo 3ds but that wasn't going to happen anyway).

:grouphug: I'm totally feeling you on this one. I was feeling a bit down for a few minutes and then I remembered for our family Christmas isn't about the gifts anyways. We have so much fun finding and doing family activities/crafts/movies etc. I already have a whole list written out of things to do each day and I can't wait to start. I just remembered one year when we had just the two oldest kids my dh brought boxes home from work and we set up a box fort while the kids were sleeping on Christmas eve and that was a huge hit on Christmas morning. There are so many ways to make the whole month special for very little money.

The last two years it was $150 per kid or thereabouts. Usually less. This year I would like $100, but I will be lucky to spend $300 altogether and really hope I can. I wanted to get them each one good thing and I got a few small odds and ends like used books. I'm rehabing a messed up old AG doll for dd, etc. So far I've spent $150 for the small stuff, Xmas supplies, and one big present for ds that I though I could afford when it went on sale (before my ex stopped paying cs right before the holiday season!!!!). No gifts for dh or myself. I got my mom something clearanced out cheap on Black Friday at Kohl's, but we'll make cookies or caramels for everyone else.

I spent $75 on one for gifts and stocking stuffers, and $100 on the other. That is a lot for us, considering we usually only do about $50 each kid. They each are getting four gifts for the morning, a pair of mama-made PJs the night before, and a couple of small things and candy in their stockings.

Honestly, I did really, really well. I managed to snag amazing coupons that I was able to pair with some Black Friday deals. I also snagged an out-of-reach desperate want for one boy that is normally $100 for $16 on Amazon by combining a half-price sale on Monday with some referral gift cards from my cell phone provider. My other son also had an expensive item on his list, but our local hobby store allowed me to combine their black Friday coupon with their small business Saturday coupon (and I didn't even ask, they offered!) so I got it at 40 percent off.